ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations and reality

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
What was was. No point in rehashing. There are 3 committed hard working recruiters on staff. The bad news is that the Rutgers buzz is simply not out there with high schoolers. Enough coaches have told me this. Personally,the staff should have grabbed 1-2 additional portal kids. They were available. You can't go 0-21 in the Big. I am hoping for at least 3 wins,among Wisconsin, Minnesota and Purdue. Maybe Nebraska and Penn State. Illinois hit a home run with their hire and they are on another level. One admonition. Hide your knives and kids when Princeton and Ohio State come to town. Those 2 could get ugly quickly. Carla and Kevin are near the top of the coaching hierarchies.

I have high expectations for the future but realistically can't count on future success to happen unless the coaches bring in the talent and coaching is top notch.
So I guess instead of high exceptions at this time realistically what I have is high hopes

What was was. No point in rehashing. There are 3 committed hard working recruiters on staff. The bad news is that the Rutgers buzz is simply not out there with high schoolers. Enough coaches have told me this. Personally,the staff should have grabbed 1-2 additional portal kids. They were available. You can't go 0-21 in the Big.
Fully agree with your points. Sad to hear about the lack of buzz from HSers. I know many young folks only see what is, as opposed to what could be. I just don't understand how this university wouldn't be attractive for more of the talent. Provided it is being pitched the right way, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to get good recruits to buy into what you want to build,...with all that you have already in place to build it.

I hope the new staff didn't undersell what they were coming into with the feeling that things are such a mess that it's just got to take years to build back up. I took a break from this site after all my pleading for them to go after a point guard and another post in the portal. Reading the room here, it felt like people were starting to think I had become a negative nelly for this new staff. To the contrary, ....I just believed that if the proper vision was presented to top recruits, and with CW's personality, it was possible to get more buy in, more buzz right away. Not saying you land the top recruiting class, but definitely more fish biting than our current situation.

CVS' style of play turning off recruits is no longer a part of the equation. The minute she retired and a whole new coach, not from her tree was hired, it's a new day at a great school with top notch facilities. Those who may have wanted to stay home but felt Princeton or SH weren't to their liking can now ponder the possibilities with RU, in a top conference that gets lots of airplay. If they are attracted to NC, Duke, LSU, etc., ...they can have that same level of program at home now, with the offensive style of play that today's recruit likes.

How can we possibly whiff on recruit after recruit. Like I've been saying......I hope our staff put RU's name in the hat with the top recruits of 23. The A. Del Rosarios, A Velez, Hidalgo, etc. They had a selling point with them to build a powerhouse at home. Zoe should have at least been shown some attention. Hope that didn't set the wrong tone from the start. It got so much local media coverage that we didn't even show any interest in someone right next door to Piscataway.

For a program steeped in tradition, with so much to offer, there's no reason to adopt a mindset that it is a mess, a joke, in ruins. If we do that, then everyone else starts to look at us that way. That's why I was so against the 'walk-on" poster. That is just asking recruits to not take us serious, IMO. This short roster is another thing that seems to send that message. These were circumstances that seemed unnecessary for us be in at this time.

From Day1, I sell the program under the notion that It's just a sleeping giant at the present time....waiting for some recruits with vision to be able to see the greatness that is just waiting for someone to decide to take advantage of it. This coaching staff knows the game and can get it done with development and x and o s., a good supporting cast of players is currently in place getting better every game, just waiting for a few elite talents to join and put RU in the top 25 mix.

Group of top local recruits from NY, NJ, Philly, Del that enjoy playing together decide to come to RU, get to play in front of their family members, HS coaches, , and home fans packing the RAC while they are broadcast on BTN, Fox, ESPN, etc. Come on!!

Just gotta have the vision!

Just thinking about the Tourney held at Vianney or Holmdel's gym.?? Forgot the name. I've only been once, ...a few years ago. Just a few of names who played in the slate of games that day:

Celeste Taylor
Paris Clark
Lashae Dwyer
Lelani Correa
Destani Adams
Diamond Miller
Schenck twins
Christina Midgette
Jaida Patrick
Michelle Sidor
Sydnei and Saniah Caldwell
Madison St Rose
Faith Masonious
Lola Mullaney
and more

All playing for NJ high schools with exception of Celeste and Paris who were at LI Lutheran(NY)

Be like Greg Schiano and try to build a wall around the tri-state. We'll be back in business in no time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT