ADVERTISEMENT

Extend Pike & Coaching Staff, NOW!

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
This team has NO QUIT in them. This is a testament to the individual players...they deserved it / especially to the coaching staff (Pike et al: they showed the team how/ EARNED IT).

We should be able to recruit a 5 star by just showing the video of the crowd going nuts...chanting, being the impetus that got us back from a 13 point impending blowout to RU winning GOING AWAY!

MO

Last edited:
agree...RU tied it at 54, then SHU scored 9 in what seemed like 20 seconds. I was deflated after that, and in past years team would have quit. But damn what a response. Credit to Pike for not letting them quit.

Reactions: rumikenike
agree...RU tied it at 54, then SHU scored 9 in what seemed like 20 seconds. I was deflated after that, and in past years team would have quit. But damn what a response. Credit to Pike for not letting them quit.

Excellent point Ohio. It is easy to talk about mental toughness. It is quite another thing to actually implement it. The staff should be commended as the team could have folded on several occasions. Exceptional job by the kids against a quality, senior laden team.

Lock him up before the other schools starting calling his phone!

Didn't he say before the season that he'd know Rutgers had made big strides when his phone STOPPED ringing? The rate of calls may well slow down now.

Didn't he say before the season that he'd know Rutgers had made big strides when his phone STOPPED ringing? The rate of calls may well slow down now.

Yes he did.

He said when other teams will stop calling him when they no longer want to schedule us.

Mo, we have a good shot at keeping Pike--any HS player in the NY-NJ area that saw the game on TV and saw the absolutely insane crowd will have the thought cross his mind that RU is headed in the right direction, has some fine talent on tap, and maybe he can see himself playing in that gym in front of those rabid fans. Pike's assistants rightly will start getting HC offers, which is good because other promising young coaches will want to come to RU, be an assistant there for a few years, and land some good HC offers. Thought it would take longer than it has to reach this point, since last year's recruiting class was not overwhelming. Eugene is turning out to be the prize of that class.
TL

If we have $5 mil to give to unproven Ash, there is NO REASON we should lose Hobbs or Knight this year to become HCs at a lower tier school or assistants at another school because of a pay check ... they are just as important as Coach Pike and he'll be the first to tell you that

This team has NO QUIT in them. This is a testament to the individual players...they deserved it / especially to the coaching staff (Pike et al: they showed the team how/ EARNED IT).

We should be able to recruit a 5 star by just showing the video of the crowd going nuts...chanting, being the impetus that got us back from a 13 point impending blowout to RU winning GOING AWAY!

MO
Said the same thing several times to people I knew on the court at the end of the game. Hobbs will get it done as he is a Basketball guy first and foremost. If Ash can get an extension, Pikiell will get it reasonably quickly as he has brought us back to relevance in year 2 of his tenure.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
If we have $5 mil to give to unproven Ash, there is NO REASON we should lose Hobbs or Knight this year to become HCs at a lower tier school or assistants at another school because of a pay check ... they are just as important as Coach Pike and he'll be the first to tell you that
Most times Assistant Coaches leave because they want to be a Head Coach & more money as an assistant does not change that, neither are leaving RU to become assistants at other schools.

Pike is a northeastern guy and seems to really want to build here. Loved this hire from the beginning. Definitely hope we extend him soon and also treat the assistants well. I can see us being really relevant for a long time if Pike stays for good.

You omitted Jay Young who is as good as it gets.

My Pike sentiments extend to the whole coaching staff; the whole crew apparently gets it. We certainly can't control someone wanting to be a head coach - can only hope from a selfish perspective they each stay for decades.

Mo, we have a good shot at keeping Pike--any HS player in the NY-NJ area that saw the game on TV and saw the absolutely insane crowd will have the thought cross his mind that RU is headed in the right direction, has some fine talent on tap, and maybe he can see himself playing in that gym in front of those rabid fans. Pike's assistants rightly will start getting HC offers, which is good because other promising young coaches will want to come to RU, be an assistant there for a few years, and land some good HC offers. Thought it would take longer than it has to reach this point, since last year's recruiting class was not overwhelming. Eugene is turning out to be the prize of that class.
TL

Agree- but I still want the head of the snake (Pike) in place...hence my call for an extension for him / as many of his staff as possible. I believe we'll start making life a lot tougher on B1G ...and soon, RU will become a destination for aspiring A+ talent (not knocking what we have...but would like to see us with the next Gen of Sellers, Dabney, Coleman, Bailey, Jordan, Copeland...and make a run into the final 4 again).

Also, if DJ made it to the NBA primarily for his "D"...Omoruyi can make it to the next level primarily for his "E" (i.e. EFFORT, little things, shooting, rebounds, Heart, Hustle, Emotions/ NO QUIT ATTITUDE).

MO

He beat a number 15 team at the RAC.

In March 2011 Mike Rice beat the Number 9 team in the nation. Did you suggest extending Rice after that?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2011/02/miracle_shot_by_jonathan_mitch.html

Later in 2011 Rice beat the Number 10 team in the nation coached by arguably the single most successful College Coach in the 2000s and the only one to win back-to-back National Championships. Surely, you suggested extending him after that, right?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2011/12/rutgers_shocks_no_10_florida_8.html

I have no idea if RU extended Rice after either of the above games or if they ever extended him at all. I don't care. I only know that you don't extend a Head Coach in December of their 2nd season after an emotional win vs. their archrival.

Keep it in your pants

In March 2011 Mike Rice beat the Number 9 team in the nation. Did you suggest extending Rice after that?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2011/02/miracle_shot_by_jonathan_mitch.html

Later in 2011 Rice beat the Number 10 team in the nation coached by arguably the single most successful College Coach in the 2000s and the only one to win back-to-back National Championships. Surely, you suggested extending him after that, right?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2011/12/rutgers_shocks_no_10_florida_8.html

I have no idea if RU extended Rice after either of the above games or if they ever extended him at all. I don't care. I only know that you don't extend a Head Coach in December of their 2nd season after an emotional win vs. their archrival.

Keep it in your pants
Is there a dislike button I can use for this post?

Keep it in your pants

False equivalency, you dunce.

"False equivalency, you dunce."

Why? Please explain? You don't think the RU fanbase was feeling positive about Rice after those 2 wins?

I'm not saying Rice should have been extended after those wins. No way. And Pikiell should not be extended after yest.'s win.

Last edited:
False equivalency, you dunce.
And you call it "false equivalency". I call the title of this thread "Recency Bias":

Definition
The tendency to think that what’s been happening lately will keep happening. One of a group of Behavioral Financial Biases that can cloud investors’ judgment.

The term generally applies to investing. But it's relevant here.

And please let me be clear. I'm a huge Pikiell fan and believe he's the right guy for the program. But the suggestion of extending him in mid-December of his 2nd season is complete and utter nonsense. This is something that should be discussed at the end of this season...at the absolute earliest.

"False equivalency, you dunce."

Why? Please explain? You don't think the RU fanbase was feeling positive about Rice after those 2 wins?

I'm not saying Rice should have been extended after those wins. No way. And Pikiell should not be extended after yest.'s win.

It's a false equivalency because
a) Mike Rice won big games but had superior talent and didn't inherit the abhorrent situation Pike did.
b) Pike's teams are already better and he hasn't lost a single game in 1.5 years that anyone would expect us to win.
c) Mike Rice wasn't doing a bad job as a coach and might have continued to make the program better. He wasn't fired for basketball reason, he was fired because he was an asshole.

It's a false equivalency because
a) Mike Rice won big games but had superior talent and didn't inherit the abhorrent situation Pike did.
b) Pike's teams are already better and he hasn't lost a single game in 1.5 years that anyone would expect us to win.
c) Mike Rice wasn't doing a bad job as a coach and might have continued to make the program better. He wasn't fired for basketball reason, he was fired because he was an asshole.

All your points are well taken. But none of 'em address my point...and why would I care why Rice was fired? The title of this thread is "Extend Pike & Coaching Staff, NOW!". I'm saying "No, you don't extend a HC after 1 big one in mid-Dec." Rice was not extended after either of those wins, NOR SHOULD HE HAVE BEEN. And Pike should not be extended after one win. You wanna extend him at season end? Fine. I agree he is the right guy and he's done ALOT of great things for the program. He should be extended. But not now.

Again, keep it in your pants

Not sure why people are quick to think hes gone.

Uconn isnt the Uconn of old the AAC is a joke.

AD Hobbs is gonna offer him a nice 5 year deal shortly is my guess. Lock him up for the foreseeable future.

He also wanted this job has made that clear prior to getting it and obviously loves the school. Uconn/SHU people have blinders on because theyre pissed were clearly progressing.

Extending contracts helps in a number of ways, but it doesn’t tether anyone to a program. Coaches, like people in any profession, leave for better opportunities.

Last edited:
We lost to Stony Brook and Hartford. At home. Do you still think we should

"Extend Pike & Coaching Staff, NOW!"?

We lost to Stony Brook and Hartford. At home. Do you still think we should

"Extend Pike & Coaching Staff, NOW!"?

Dumb post. Programs are not built in a straight line. Anyone thinking there would be no hiccups along the way was not being realistic. As of right now, we are well ahead of the curve as far as Pike fixing this mess. Of course you extend him. He will get the team straightened out now that winter break is over and the kids are back n school full time.

Id just give him a six-seven year contact. This man will not hurt our program in any way and he deserves to take advantage of multiple years of recruiting once the new facility is built.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT