ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 16 MICHIGAN STATE: If you have been paying attention...

Actually no because Mulcahy is not playing well at Washington and literally scored 0 points combined in almost 40 minutes of game action in his last 2 games. His numbers are all way below his numbers at RU, because he's not a PG. I see it, Washington coaches see it, only RU fans in denial, don't see it.

Accepting mediocrity is the path some RU fans live for. I wasn't running it back again, sorry to disappoint you.
We also have no point guards here, and our guards aren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard or passing the ball.

You don't want Mulcahy or Spencer back, but are you happy with what we have right now? Or have you just resigned yourself to bad guard play at this point?

If we got out of Mulcahy what we got from him the last two seasons, it would be a damn sight better than what we have had so far this season.

Actually no because Mulcahy is not playing well at Washington and literally scored 0 points combined in almost 40 minutes of game action in his last 2 games. His numbers are all way below his numbers at RU, because he's not a PG. I see it, Washington coaches see it, only RU fans in denial, don't see it.

Accepting mediocrity is the path some RU fans live for. I wasn't running it back again, sorry to disappoint you.
Why run it back when we were trending to a 4 or 5 seed before the Mag injury and playing the best basketball long time fans saw since 1976.

Paul Mulcahy has many warts as a basketball player. He would be our best PG and it wouldn't be even close.

Talk about rinse and repeat...it seems like there are 2 scenarios for us: 1) such as the Ohio State game...fall behind by double digits, make a comeback to get in the game, but just fall short. 2) such as today's game...battle for 30 minutes or so, experience a drought and lose by double digits.
Yes this is how most of the season will likely play out but there will also be a secenario (3) at times play good D make enough shots win the game like we did with Indiana

Reactions: rutger80
Paul would’ve resorted back to being our starting PG and Ball handler 5 games in, playing 35 min a night, and guess what? Cliffs numbers would be just like last year. He’d be averaging close to that double double guy we all expected. I bet we would even have another win or two, Yes it’s a moot point, but Paul made others better. NJHAWK failed to see this.

in Washington he is basically playing the 3 off the ball and never has the ball as their point guard Wheeler dominates The ball. He’s lost out there.

The worst part about the game is I actually thought our defense for the 1st 30 minutes of the game was excellent and I thought we did a great job of running our offense (best of the year) and getting good looks.

When you play A-/B+ basketball for 30 minutes against a 1-4 team and you end up getting smoked you may be a worse team than you originally thought.
Michigan State is very good but like alot of Izzo teams do not play to their potential. You saw a switch flip on and they were off to the races. Our response was quite poor because we had played pretty tough to that point. No depth and no leadership and a ton of bad shooters and you get 19-0 runs and these ugly runs have happened vs Mississippi State, Wake, Illinois, Iowa as well. I think even LIU and Stone Hill had pretty good runs vs Ru

Reactions: RAC93
You realize they can both be bad right?

Derek Simpson is shooting 33.6 percent… from TWO. That’s just not going to get it done. This statement has absolutely nothing to do with Jamichael Davis, who is also not getting it done. Our offense is just absurdly ****ing bad.
To be fair, I don’t think rest of this board does and Simpson still playing better and has won and/or kept us in games.

If we could only have one of Simpson or Davis I would take Simpson right now but that is just not saying much at all. Hitting a game winning shot against #353 Stonehill just does not get you that much credit I am sorry.

Reactions: RAC93
The worst part about the game is I actually thought our defense for the 1st 30 minutes of the game was excellent and I thought we did a great job of running our offense (best of the year) and getting good looks.

When you play A-/B+ basketball for 30 minutes against a 1-4 team and you end up getting smoked you may be a worse team than you originally thought.
We were doing all things you mentioned offensively and defensively with no transition buckets for MSU. We ran a new set on offense that was working and we got 3 back door layups off of it. They couldn’t handle MAG , Aundre was getting open from 3 and the only thing not happening was the guards were not getting the ball to Cliff. But they were playing their best games offensively by eliminating the mindless dribbling and with quick passing to get the edge.

Then guess what happened ? Up 36-35 at the under 16 , with 14:30 left Pike subbed and killed any momentum or chemistry. They had not played for 4 days. They were not tired , they had not lost anyone in transition . The only thing that happened negatively was bad luck as 4 scrambles for offensive rebounds or loose balls , despite our diving on the floor , somehow MSU came up with the ball and dished out for 4 threes. That was just bad luck not due to effort.
Pike , who I love, has a flaw and is stubborn . He was going to make that sub regardless of the score , regardless of us having all the momentum , just with no feel for the game , so he can develop his bench. That was not the time. He also takes out our shooters or players who are hot or have a straight 4-5 play great sequence killing momentum.
As soon as the subs were made , he went zone and Cliff who shouldn’t have been guarding Hall gives up position and then like clockwork our guards lose Walker and Holiiman on back to back possessions in transition where they hit 3’s and they took a 10 point lead. Game over.
I place the blame squarely on his shoulders and his stubbornness with this predetermined 3 person Sub .

It was a damn shame because it was the best or close to the best we have played for 28 minutes both offensively , defensively , rebounding and with effort. Damn wasted opportunity because doubtful MSU goes on that run because the starters knew who they had and shut down any transition points for MSU

If we could only have one of Simpson or Davis I would take Simpson right now but that is just not saying much at all. Hitting a game winning shot against #353 Stonehill just does not get you that much credit I am sorry.
Especially since he was 4-15 that game

Huge shot obviously but shooting so poorly against one of the worst teams in the country was a big part of the reason we were in the situation needing the 3 in the first place

Reactions: fluoxetine
The only hope is that reports of J Will being the best player on the team are accurate and not BS and he becomes eligible
For me I don't believe anything..program has little credibility when it comes to recruits and projected performance. How coaching plays into this is yet another consideration.

But in all fairness kept us in the game @ Ohio State. Half time shot v. Indiana and his foul shooting won us the game. And while you downplay Stonehill, absolutely nobody shot well that day. Deserves credit for game winning shot. Plus shooting 85% from the line is nothing to shake a stick at.

But in all fairness kept us in the game @ Ohio State. Half time shot v. Indiana and his foul shooting won us the game. And while you downplay Stonehill, absolutely nobody shot well that day. Deserves credit for game winning shot. Plus shooting 85% from the line is nothing to shake a stick at.
Basically if any player in the country is given the freedom to shoot 16 times in a game then at least once or twice an abnormally high number will go in and they'll look really good. Simpson's game against Ohio State was statistical variance.

To be fair, I don’t think rest of this board does and Simpson still playing better and has won and/or kept us in games.
The only reason Derek Simpson is playing right now is because we literally have no one else and are stuck with him. On most Power 6 teams he would be out of the rotation right now given how poorly he has shot the ball all year.

He had a nice game at Ohio State, but being "in the game" is not really an accomplishment at this point. He was 2/13 against Indiana and the fact that one of those was a lucky bank-in three from half court makes it worse, not better.

He's a good FT shooter, he's a defensive pest, and I like the kid, but you just cannot have an effective shooting percentage of 37%.

Reactions: Scangg
All of our guards would have a hard time finding a starting role on any other B1G team right now based on their performance.

Simpson right now has the lowest eFG% of anyone in our rotation, despite having the highest usage. Yet he's still our 4th best 3P shooter.... but our worst 2P shooter (partly because he takes so many long twos).

Among players that have played >50% of their team's minutes, Derek Simpson has the 29th worst eFG% in all of Division I, and the 4th worst among Power 6 players.

• Sad
All of our guards would have a hard time finding a starting role on any other B1G team right now based on their performance.

Simpson right now has the lowest eFG% of anyone in our rotation, despite having the highest usage. Yet he's still our 4th best 3P shooter.... but our worst 2P shooter (partly because he takes so many long twos).
If you take out his two banked 3 pointers, he would be at 26%. It will be hard to beat anyone with a pulse when your most active shooter is only hitting 33% from the field.

Among the 36 players in the B1G who have taken at least 40 "other twos" per bart, Simpson ranks 34th in % at that distance (ahead of Omoruyi at 35th, and Ace Baldwin Jr of Penn St at 36th).

Among the 46 players who have taken at least 40 "at the rim" twos per bart, Simpson is last in %, behind Davis at 45th.

Of the 95 players in the B1G who have taken at least 50 FGA, Simpson is 87th in "assisted by" rate (Fernandes is 83rd, and Davis is 79th)

And yet somehow he's still arguably our best option at guard.

• Sad
Reactions: G- RUnit and Scangg
I think the best bull case for Simpson is that he is something like Jacob Young, and that he can be reined in and brought under control and molded into a good offensive player. His FT% gives hope that he can eventually learn to hit the three.

I appreciate that Gavin hasn’t shown he “deserves” it yet but this is why I said 10-14 days ago that it was time to take minutes from Simpson and give them to Gavin. It may be that Gavin is a miss but based on pedigree he has much higher ceiling than Derek. I’d rather watch Gavin play 20+ minutes and see if he can figure it out. Still play Derek late for FTs but no reason he should be getting the minutes he is.

Among the 36 players in the B1G who have taken at least 40 "other twos" per bart, Simpson ranks 34th in % at that distance (ahead of Omoruyi at 35th, and Ace Baldwin Jr of Penn St at 36th).

Among the 46 players who have taken at least 40 "at the rim" twos per bart, Simpson is last in %, behind Davis at 45th.

Of the 95 players in the B1G who have taken at least 50 FGA, Simpson is 87th in "assisted by" rate (Fernandes is 83rd, and Davis is 79th)

And yet somehow he's still arguably our best option at guard.
Our offense somehow even worse when you dig deeper into the stats

• Haha
Reactions: fluoxetine
I think the best bull case for Simpson is that he is something like Jacob Young, and that he can be reined in and brought under control and molded into a good offensive player. His FT% gives hope that he can eventually learn to hit the three.
The best case scenario is Derek takes good shots from 10-14 feet ,with his body square and knocks them down like the Ohio State game.He hit 9 mostly uncontested “ easy “ shots. It presently is the outlier, but it shouldn’t be. 3 freshman that are now sophomores , Thornton at Ohio State , Dug McDaniel at Michigan and Ryan Smith at Purdue , have taken tremendous leaps from 5-6 a game to 15-16 a game. We expected Derek , especially with his excellent foul shooting to do the same but he has disappointed us. I really thought he could be a difference maker but he is too determined to shoot when he drives , never looks to pass once he makes up his mind and on top of that is reckless on the fast break or going to the rim not using the backboard properly , nor his body properly. I am hoping he will improve to do those things but every game that goes by , I am losing hope.

The best case scenario is Derek takes good shots from 10-14 feet ,with his body square and knocks them down like the Ohio State game.He hit 9 mostly uncontested “ easy “ shots. It presently is the outlier, but it shouldn’t be. 3 freshman that are now sophomores , Thornton at Ohio State , Dug McDaniel at Michigan and Ryan Smith at Purdue , have taken tremendous leaps from 5-6 a game to 15-16 a game. We expected Derek , especially with his excellent foul shooting to do the same but he has disappointed us. I really thought he could be a difference maker but he is too determined to shoot when he drives , never looks to pass once he makes up his mind and on top of that is reckless on the fast break or going to the rim not using the backboard properly , nor his body properly. I am hoping he will improve to do those things but every game that goes by , I am losing hope.
And yet still better than the others…
And still only a sophomore
And either him or Fernandes the best foul shooter on the team.
Quickest player on the team.
Leaders team in assists and steals.

The best case scenario is Derek takes good shots from 10-14 feet
im-going-to-stop-you-right-there-stop.png

Our offense somehow even worse when you dig deeper into the stats
It depends what stats.. shooting stats yes, because we are close to the worst shooting percentage team in all of D1, literally. Luckily we make up for that to some slight degree by not really being bad at anything else, we are above average at not turning the ball over, offensive rebounding, and getting to the line.

He's a sophomore, which should put him well ahead of Davis - but he's not.
He's the best FT shooter on the team - which means he has to stop pulling up from 15 feet and actually invite contact that will get him to the line, but he doesn't.
Quickest is debatable - Davis is right there with him.
Also leads the teams in turnovers and is worst in FG%.

At the end of the day, he'd be coming off the bench if we had any other options - if JWill becomes eligible, we may hit the back end of the season starting JWill/AWill at our guard spots. He's had a bit of a mess of a year so far as our lead guard, a clear step back from the end of last season... and I really hope he can turn it around.

Simpson far quicker than Davis. Pike said it!
Three Point percentage advantage to Simpson.
Free Throw percentage advantage to Simpson. Significant. In fact unbelievably twice as good.
Steals advantage to Simpson.
Assists advantage to Simpson.
Simpson won Indiana and PSU game last year.
Stonehill this year and Indiana this year and took over OSU.
Name one game that JD has taken over.
It’s not a freshman and a senior.
It’s a freshman and a sophomore.
Simpson better in assists to turnovers.
You guys trying so hard to elevate JMike and rip Simpson. Math doesn’t add up.
Simpson far better +/-
Only +/- player JD was better than was Gavin.
Last week 21 minutes 4 turnovers and no assists. 🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗
Me thanks many of you have an obvious bias.

Last edited:
Free Throw percentage advantage to Simpson. Significant. In fact unbelievably twice as good.
Simpson far better +/-
FG% advantage Davis
2 % advantage Davis
Assists rebounds steals turnovers all basically identical per 40 min

Both are not playing at B1G level

Serious question. Do you think Simpson is having a good season?

Reactions: RUChoppin
The lack of production from Simpson, Davis and Noah is the primary reason RU is struggling this season. All 3 are not starters in the big ten, now or ever. They weren’t supposed to be this year. But that doesn’t excuse how poorly they have played. Stats tell it all. They’re not good shooters or assist guys. Guards need to be shot makers and make others better. All 3 are equally inept in both.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Simpson far better +/-

Yes, you do have an obvious bias, lol

End of the day, Simpson is a sophomore with 1075 min and 17 starts under his belt who ended last season strong and was expected to take a leap into this year as a feature guard. Davis is a freshman with 336 min and 3 starts under his belt, who was expected to be a depth guy this season. Simpson should be well ahead of him in performance and production, but he's just slightly ahead - the narrowness of that gap isn't a good sign.

Per 40 min (bolding where one player is more than 0.2 better than the other)
DS: 15.4 pts (14.5 FGA, .331 FG, .336 2P, .314 3P, .852 FT), 4.8 rb, 4.6 ast, 2.0 stl, 2.9 tov, 1.9 pf, 1.61 ast/tov
JD: 9.5 pts (10.7 FGA, .344 FG, .361 2P, .278 3P, .406 FT), 5.1 rb, 4.5 ast, 1.9 stl, 2.3 tov, 1.7 pf, 2.00 ast/tov

Simpson is ahead of him overall, but neither of those stat lines are very good for a starting guard. The fact that they are both a better choice than Fernandes at this point is astounding.

Simpson needs to stop taking pull up jumpers 10+ feet from the basket - he takes WAY too many of those. It's part of the reason his FG% is so bad, and it keeps him off the FT line. If he's going to take a jumper, he should have both toes behind the arc or be <8 feet from the rim - unless the shot clock is almost expired and it's the only shot available.

He also needs to find his teammates more, especially on penetration, and find a way to get the ball to Omoruyi in a position to score. The reduction in FGA/g for Omoruyi is criminal.

If JWill is eligible and has a pulse, he should immediately be getting the highest number of minutes at point guard - because none of our other options have shown much positive this season.

Compare to a few other past RU guards, per 40 min:

Peter Kiss (2018-19)
13.2 pts (12.7 FGA, .384 FG, .487 2P, .302 3P, .581 FT), 4.9 rb, 1.9 ast, 0.9 stl, 2.1 tov, 2.9 pf

Matt Bullock
12.2 pts (12.8 FGA, .391 FG, .529 2P, .000 3P, .400 FT), 8.3 rb, 1.1 ast, 0.6 stl, 2.8 tov, 4.4 pf

Austin Carroll
10.1 pts (8.8 FGA, .379 FG, .400 2P, .372 3P, .636 FT), 2.7 rb, 3.6 ast, 0.9 stl, 2.3 tov, 5.9 pf

But he has mostly played like crap and shot worst than that. Unlike the other BiG 10 sophomores that have taken their expected upward leap , Derek has been mostly terrible , not a shot maker , not a guard that knows how to run PNR with Cliff , terrible at setting up his teammates and being a floor leader. Nor is he a difference maker defensively . He is only a sophomore and I can only hope he gets much much better.

The lack of production from Simpson, Davis and Noah is the primary reason RU is struggling this season. All 3 are not starters in the big ten, now or ever. They weren’t supposed to be this year. But that doesn’t excuse how poorly they have played. Stats tell it all. They’re not good shooters or assist guys. Guards need to be shot makers and make others better. All 3 are equally inept in both.
Feel JMike is being judged a bit harshly for being a frosh and asked to do a lot already. To make a blanket statement that JMike is not or can't be a starter in the Big Ten is very quick rush to judgment. He also IS a Big Ten starter as a frosh, probably being asked to do too much with not a great cast around him.

He's shown a lot of heart and some strong moves and games here and there.

Feel JMike is being judged a bit harshly for being a frosh and asked to do a lot already. To make a blanket statement that JMike is not or can't be a starter in the Big Ten is very quick rush to judgment. He also IS a Big Ten starter as a frosh, probably being asked to do too much with not a great cast around him.

He's shown a lot of heart and some strong moves and games here and there.
Same with Simpson as a sophomore. That’s all. Just be fair.

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT