ADVERTISEMENT

Female referees

vkj91

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
Where did they all come from? I’ve never seen one in a HS game. It was only a few years ago that we saw the first female referee. Now, I feel like there is one in almost every game I watch.
@huskersalways

Reactions: bac2therac
Where did they all come from? I’ve never seen one in a HS game. It was only a few years ago that we saw the first female referee. Now, I feel like there is one in almost every game I watch.
@huskersalways
That’s why they highlight the 1st in the pros.

Does gender matter if competent? There are many men who shouldn’t be refs.
THAT is the issue. From what I have seen they largely prove to be incompetent.. ignorant.. or a complete non-factor... which means they are afraid to throw deserved flags.

They could have brought them along slowly.. let them climb through the ranks... or find some trans-female refs who played the game.

I have an idea.. how about making a crew of ALL female refs and see what happens. let them do the Texas-Oklahoma game or Michigan-OSU or USC-UCLA.. let the whole nation score them on their collective quality.

THAT is the issue. From what I have seen they largely prove to be incompetent.. ignorant.. or a complete non-factor... which means they are afraid to throw deserved flags.

They could have brought them along slowly.. let them climb through the ranks... or find some trans-female refs who played the game.
Never had anyone said he or she is a good ref.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Never had anyone said he or she is a good ref.
RU-NW game had a good crew. Properly picking up flags, etc. The Strong toe-tap TD was called wrongly.. but was corrected... and was somewhat understandable to get wrong. Rutgers fans can recognize a fairly refereed game.. as rare as that is 😜

RU-NW game had a good crew. Properly picking up flags, etc. The Strong toe-tap TD was called wrongly.. but was corrected... and was somewhat understandable to get wrong.
It was a general statement. Refs are punching bags.

Hey.. someone start a tailgate photos thread... an OFFICIAL tailgate photos thread.. let us remotes tailgate vicariously

Where did I say it mattered or that they did a bad job. It’s an observation. You went from never seeing them to seeing them almost every game. They had to come from somewhere. It’s not like you just show up and decide you want to be a college ref. I’d assume there is a minimum number of HS game hours or some extensive on the job training.

Reactions: koleszar
Maybe it’s happening in other parts of the country and they’re working their way up.

Gender shouldn't matter, but this seems more like a quota system as now you see at least one on almost every single crew in college. Did they suddenly become more competent over the last couple years or is there now a mandate on how many you have to hire. Now I'm not sure which it is, but I don't like non-merit-based systems implemented just to meet a quota.

I understand the post…if you don’t see them in HS, how are so many in college. It has to be that maybe less than 5% HS Refs ever make it.
As for competency, not sure but it could also be the opposite…maybe we never saw them only because they were not allowed even if they were competent

it’s not a mystery. everyone knows the answer to the OP.
Actually, we don’t. Even to just be an average College Ref, you had to be doing it well somewhere prior to getting there. And if we haven’t seen a bunch of them in HS over the past decade, where did they all of a sudden come from?

Lots of industries have had to make a push outside their traditional demographics due to lack of applicants. The airline industry is a big example of that.

Everyone is late to the party !
The great plum street asked this question earlier in the season

Reactions: vkj91
Scott Vallone almost flattened her . She doesn’t have good spatial awareness of where she is supposed to be on change of possessions

If they can do a good job, shouldn't be a problem but seems strange seeing women on a field considered a man's sport.
Times are a changing so female refs , like their male counterparts, need to go if they can't handle the job and earn the right to stay by doing a good job.

@huskersalways
I don't know but they seem to fk up an awful lot!

I'll say, they shouldn't be there due to gender and instead, from experience and ability.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Where did I say it mattered or that they did a bad job. It’s an observation. You went from never seeing them to seeing them almost every game. They had to come from somewhere. It’s not like you just show up and decide you want to be a college ref. I’d assume there is a minimum number of HS game hours or some extensive on the job training.

You sure about that?

Lots of industries have had to make a push outside their traditional demographics due to lack of applicants. The airline industry is a big example of that.

Looking forward to the Competency Crisis moving to the cockpit.

It would be great if they suited up in bikinis. Use their top as a flag!
yes
let the game begin
article-2208358-15342809000005DC-75_634x616.jpg

Making a push to recruit outside of your traditional demographics doesn't mean you wo t find talent. Just groups of people who didn't see that industry as accessible. As far as I know, the criteria to become a pilot has not changed. Just how/who they try to recruit.
I used to manage financial advisors and would regularly look for good talent outside of the normal demographic and I always found it. I just knew where to look and how to capture their interest. Had a top producing team for 8 years who happened to be the most diverse (as far as I know) in our area of the company. In short, no need to assume diverse talent means less talent.

Looking forward to the Competency Crisis moving to the cockpit.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Making a push to recruit outside of your traditional demographics doesn't mean you wo t find talent. Just groups of people who didn't see that industry as accessible. As far as I know, the criteria to become a pilot has not changed. Just how/who they try to recruit.
I used to manage financial advisors and would regularly look for good talent outside of the normal demographic and I always found it. I just knew where to look and how to capture their interest. Had a top producing team for 8 years who happened to be the most diverse (as far as I know) in our area of the company. In short, no need to assume diverse talent means less talent.
It will when better qualified folks are passed over. And that is reality.

It's a little odd because the women never played the sport. So in terms of coming up through the ranks, it usually starts by playing highschool ball. Of course you don't need to have played to be able to ref, but it still makes the whole thing seem forced - hence the backlash.

I think most non-Neanderthals here would agree that women have faced discrimination in the workplace for a long time. And that some corrective action is needed. And also most people can probably agree that in the push for legitimate corrective action, there will be some instances that don't seem right. That's par for the course in a society governed by laws with "equal protection under the law" baked into the constitution. I can live with the tradeoffs here.

Interesting enough but I really don’t think they have been any worse than the men out there either.
There are a ton of bad Refs in this conference. And it is even worse in basketball.

Reactions: ruinac
It's a little odd because the women never played the sport. So in terms of coming up through the ranks, it usually starts by playing highschool ball. Of course you don't need to have played to be able to ref, but it still makes the whole thing seem forced - hence the backlash.

I think most non-Neanderthals here would agree that women have faced discrimination in the workplace for a long time. And that some corrective action is needed. And also most people can probably agree that in the push for legitimate corrective action, there will be some instances that don't seem right. That's par for the course in a society governed by laws with "equal protection under the law" baked into the constitution. I can live with the tradeoffs here.
We see it every week that most players don’t know all the rules.

Interesting enough but I really don’t think they have been any worse than the men out there either.
There are a ton of bad Refs in this conference. And it is even worse in basketball.
just gives a new reason to complain about a ref
Now Sex is involved 😁

It will when better qualified folks are passed over. And that is reality.

Qualified folks have been passed over regardless of race and gender in most types of employment since the beginning of mankind. Even in sports, in MLB for example there are players languishing in the minors while seeing veteran players hitting below 200 with bloated salaries keep their spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT