ADVERTISEMENT

First Live Impressions of Newcomers

RU-ROCS

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Realizing that CCNY was the worst team I’ve ever seen at the RAC, I was nonetheless very impressed with Baker — very smooth, great length and court vision. The kid looks like a huge steal for Pike and RU. Decoure is raw but very athletic — love his upside. Mensah did not impress me at all on tape v. SJU or live tonight. He looked overmatched at times v. CCNY, who is really bad. I hope it is just jitters, as coach speculated. His FTs also looked really bad in 1-7 shooting!

Not a newcomer, but Thiam looks dramatically improved in the first two games. Much stronger with the ball and around the rim. If his outside shot starts falling, watch out!

If Pikiell said it was jitters, he is thinking the same way I am. He looked very nervous.

But, if you noticed, after he scored on that fast break reverse layout off Dadika's pass he was much more relaxed. Went on to hit a short jumper, had the assist to Sa and at least one more assist to Baker.

He also did what I thought he would...kept the ball moving. When he gets a pass, he immediately keeps it moving.

If Pikiell said it was jitters, he is thinking the same way I am. He looked very nervous.

But, if you noticed, after he scored on that fast break reverse layout off Dadika's pass he was much more relaxed. Went on to hit a short jumper, had the assist to Sa and at least one more assist to Baker.

He also did what I thought he would...kept the ball moving. When he gets a pass, he immediately keeps it moving.

Fair point. He did look better at the end. But, by then CCNY had their subs in, some of whom looked like they were 13 years old. Souf struggled mightily v. the speed of SJU in the exhibition. I guess I just expected more out of the gate from a 23 year old JUCO. Hopefully, he adjusts quickly and shows what the coaches must have seen in him.

Souf air balled a free throw, looks out of place through two games IMO. Won't write him off yet however. Bullock can't even get minutes against CCNY, what's the deal there?

Souf air balled a free throw, looks out of place through two games IMO. Won't write him off yet however. Bullock can't even get minutes against CCNY, what's the deal there?

The Bullock situation is a real mystery. I’d love to know what’s going on there.

The Bullock situation is a real mystery. I’d love to know what’s going on there.

I've expressed my opinion: Unless he is injured, though he might be a great kid and an credit to any athletic program, in my previously expressed opinion, he is not a Division 1 player - and never was based on the clips I saw from high school. I speculated all along there were several very specific reasons Pikiell offered him a scholarship at the time he did - valid reasons at that - which have not and will not come to fruition.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
I've expressed my opinion: Unless he is injured, though he might be a great kid and an credit to any athletic program, in my previously expressed opinion, he is not a Division 1 player - and never was based on the clips I saw from high school. I speculated all along there were several very specific reasons Pikiell offered him a scholarship at the time he did - valid reasons at that - which have not and will not come to fruition.

I fear the same thing. I’m not sure why the coaches are so high on him. But, surely they know more than we do.

Stop with the “he did what I thought he would” stuff. You and I went back and forth a ton on this. Souf actually looked and played exactly how he looked on film and how his offers reflected. Awful. It doesn’t matter. It’s over. It was a really bad mistake by Pike. I don’t know what other options we had but we even if we took nobody it would have been a better decision as Souf is tying up a ship for two years. I don’t think it is catastrophic this year as I don’t think we are tourney bound either way. However next year it could be a killer as I hope to be on the bubble.

Stop with the “he did what I thought he would” stuff. You and I went back and forth a ton on this. Souf actually looked and played exactly how he looked on film and how his offers reflected. Awful. It doesn’t matter. It’s over. It was a really bad mistake by Pike. I don’t know what other options we had but we even if we took nobody it would have been a better decision as Souf is tying up a ship for two years. I don’t think it is catastrophic this year as I don’t think we are tourney bound either way. However next year it could be a killer as I hope to be on the bubble.
When Williams returns Souf will get limited minutes.

When Williams returns Souf will get limited minutes.
Absolutely. It’s not a huge deal as long as we stay healthy. If he actually has to play in real games we are screwed. I don’t know if I have ever seen a guard miss 6 of 7 from the line and they weren’t really close.

Reactions: RC71
Was Souf picked up after we lost out on Alvarado? If so, that really stings Alvarado played well against UCLA last night

Reactions: soundcrib
Willing to give Pike the benefit of the doubt on Souf. Admittedly he's flat out bad at the free throw line and at times looks like a street baller.

That said, if he gives us a few solid minutes per game at the point, and can defend opposing PGs well and give us some fouls, it may be enough of a contribution, to go along with vocal leadership and toughness in practice.

Souf is a guy who will spell a few minutes here and there. He played more than he usually would last night because of the lack of competition and the lack of Mike Williams.

He did not look as bad as people are portraying him to be. He certainly is not a shooter but he played solid defense (obviously not a lot to learn from this given his opponents) and has the body to do some things. Give the kid a chance, jeez.

Stupid as always. Taking individual shots at players. What's next....you gonna take shots at Sa, Duke or maybe Geo Baker for bricking every outside shot? It's only 2 games in....no conclusions can be reached, except how you like to criticize players from the sideline.

I saw a guy who focused on moving the ball...just what Coach Pikiell said was one of the two biggest issues last year. Yes, that's exactly what I expected and that's exactly what I have said all summer long......Pass First PG was a need....someone to keep the ball moving.

I fear the same thing. I’m not sure why the coaches are so high on him. But, surely they know more than we do.

I have not seen any coaches comments that indicate they are high on Bullock for this season. Mensah, yes, but not Bullock.

On Mensah, with full health in the back court (i.e. Baker, Williams and Sanders all fully available), I see Mensah as having value for 8-10 minutes per game at back-up PG ... not bad to have a guy like that. Would like to see him shoot FT's a little better, unfortunately. Thiam can play a little 2G if RU has to in an emergency. And it is clear the staff is comfortable - well maybe not comfortable, but sort of okay - with Dadika in an emergency for a couple of minutes, as well.

One thing is 1000% certain......Coach Pikiell is not a Bullshitter. If he says he likes a guy and the role he can play...I believe it.

And when Pikiell says it was Jitters...I believe that too over the guys reaching conclusions after seeing a guy for about 20 -25 minutes.

Reactions: BLewis1968
NEW GUYS
GEO BAKER will fit in just fine right out of the gate 10pts 4 assts 3 REBs did a lot things right
DOUCORE 6pts 5REBs out of position a lot....I was hoping for better play
MENSAH runs ok but atrocious FG 1-7 shooting 7pts 6 rebs 3 assists I hope it was just nerves

NOT NEW GUYS
Thiam did well...19pts 11 rebs I will take that any day LOL
Doorson 7pts 5 REBs

I think the entire team was off balance,,,,,CCNY guards were like 5ft tall...and no bigs
I think a better indicator will be vs CCSt on Sunday

Last edited:
What’s the scouting report on CCST?
Good team, bad team? One box of popcorn or will I need another after 1st half? I didn’t finish my 1st Box last night.

What’s the scouting report on CCST?
Good team, bad team? One box of popcorn or will I need another after 1st half? I didn’t finish my 1st Box last night.

One of the worst in D1. 6-23 last season.

I agree with jellyman about Bullock and I think he transfers after the season (no inside info at all, just my read of the situation).

Souf definitely worries me for next year, but he'll still be the 4th guard behind Baker, Mathis, and Kiss (assuming Sanders leaves). But still, if we want to step up, we need better guys to spell the starters. Souf seems like a great guy and I hope he succeeds but his numbers at JUCO were not good, he didn't have any other high-major offers, and the early returns here have been subpar. I'm not sure what you can point to with him to be optimistic.

Whatever. Dadika could do the same thing as Mensah and probably make his free throws. Mensah will play Zero minutes
Stupid as always. Taking individual shots at players. What's next....you gonna take shots at Sa, Duke or maybe Geo Baker for bricking every outside shot? It's only 2 games in....no conclusions can be reached, except how you like to criticize players from the sideline.

I saw a guy who focused on moving the ball...just what Coach Pikiell said was one of the two biggest issues last year. Yes, that's exactly what I expected and that's exactly what I have said all summer long......Pass First PG was a need....someone to keep the ball moving.
stupid huh? Okay. So you are in record with your basketball evaluating skills as saying Mensah will be a valuable contributor. Please save this post and we will revisit it again in a month. You said my evaluation of him was “stupid” when we recruited him. Okay. Then it was stupid when he played horribly against St John’s because they have good guards that are faster then he is used to. Then he plays awful against a D 3 team and it is nerves and I am still “stupid”. Interesting analysis. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Whatever. Dadika could do the same thing as Mensah and probably make his free throws. Mensah will play Zero minutes

stupid huh? Okay. So you are in record with your basketball evaluating skills as saying Mensah will be a valuable contributor. Please save this post and we will revisit it again in a month. You said my evaluation of him was “stupid” when we recruited him. Okay. Then it was stupid when he played horribly against St John’s because they have good guards that are faster then he is used to. Then he plays awful against a D 3 team and it is nerves and I am still “stupid”. Interesting analysis. You have no clue what you are talking about.

I support all the players and I don't have some NEED to be correct. Yes, I called you stupid for taking shots at individual players. Go back and read what I wrote in the first 2 sentences. Maybe you have reading comprehension problems. So yes, You are stupid for calling out our Rutgers players for criticism when they are out there trying to help the team and play a role that Pikiell envisions for them. Pikiell likes him and that's good enough for me. Pikiell is one that said it was jitters, not me. I agreed based on what I saw. Maybe you should be the Coach.

So now, it seems like you want a player to fail so you are proven correct...Grow up !!

Last edited:
I support all the players and I don't have some NEED to be correct. Yes, I called you stupid for taking shots at individual players. Go back and read what I wrote in the first 2 sentences. Maybe you have reading comprehension problems. So yes, You are stupid for calling out our Rutgers players for criticism when they are out there trying to help the team and play a role that Pikiell envisions for them. Pikiell likes him and that's good enough for me. Pikiell is one that said it was jitters, not me. Maybe you should be the Coach.

So now, it seems like you want a player to fail so you are proven correct...Grow up !!
Please give me a break. I wish the kid would be all big ten. I have been rooting for RU hoops for over 35 years. This isn’t about that. I have no need to be right. I have been wrong about players before. They pay people on this site to evaluate high school kids positively and negatively. Part of this board is talking about recruits. You were just so obnoxious about how we had to trust Pike and this kid is exactly what we need etc that it probably pushed me I. The other direction. For that to Souf I apologoze. It doesn’t change the fact though that he is not a D 1 player and we need to figure something else out there.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
Please give me a break. I wish the kid would be all big ten. I have been rooting for RU hoops for over 35 years. This isn’t about that. I have no need to be right. I have been wrong about players before. They pay people on this site to evaluate high school kids positively and negatively. Part of this board is talking about recruits. You were just so obnoxious about how we had to trust Pike and this kid is exactly what we need etc that it probably pushed me I. The other direction. For that to Souf I apologoze. It doesn’t change the fact though that he is not a D 1 player and we need to figure something else out there.

I can almost guarantee that the next 30 games will consist of you pointing out every flaw in Souf Mensah and ignoring anything he does well.

You ignored how he focused on keeping the ball moving, ignored how he turned down a shot to make the extra pass for an assist to a big man down low. Those things are playing a team role and this is a team sport.

Finally, Yes, I do trust Pike when he says Mensah's role is pushing the ball with his speed and helping with ball movement. I don't reach conclusions 20 minutes of playing time into the season for a new player.

Let's give Souf a few more games.

A totally reasonable request. It’s just that nothing about Souf’s JUCO stats, his tape or the teams recruiting him said “Big 10 player.” So, when he doesn’t look anything like a Big 10 player in the first two games, people wonder, rightly or wrongly.

But, damn it Jim I’m a doctor not a basketball coach, so what do I know?!

Last edited:
On Souf: Pikiell never said anything glowing about his offense. Pike always stressed he is a "pass-first; tough defender; great locker room" type of player. I'm giving Souf the benefit of the doubt about the factors above and hoping that his benefits to the club will be intangible; non statistical type of contributions.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Sounds like he has been an asset in practice and the locker room, pushing Corey, etc. We also recruited him before the momentum that saw us land Mathis, Harper, the new Shaq, etc. and could have seen him as a good option at the time, but wouldn't have been a take later.

But whatever. Pike and crew have earned tremendous leeway as far as I'm concerned and the bottom line is we're building depth and don't need to rely on Souf for meaningful minutes.

Holy Schneikes. Did he really air ball a free throw?! I though that only happened with the little guy in Hoosiers.

Holy Schneikes. Did he really air ball a free throw?! I though that only happened with the little guy in Hoosiers.
Not only was it an air ball, it was way off to the left. His next one hit the backboard, I think, far to the right. Then, Pikiell took him out and put Omuruyi back in to finish the game with the walk ons. Egad.

Just two thoughts.

1) While I fully undertand Pikiell having to create this schedule to improve perception, help recruiting,etc, some of these games leave a lot to be desired as a fan. We understand, but still, these games don't help your team grow that much. It's part of the building process- creating a schedule that allows you to be positively noticed so you can recruit. These games will most likely be blow outs. Process, process,process.

2) Souf Mensah was recruited as a medium risk, medium reward player. Pikiell knows to rebuild you need players that can be coached. Souf is just here for two years, and is going to work as hard as he can. Mensah is a great kid who does his best work in transition. In the half court, his game is not a strength. This makes him not that versatile. He will provide leadership, acountability, and a hard work ethic. The reason why he was recruited might not all show up on the court. His best game is in transition, and his effort on defense. Again, wasn't a high risk as a 2 year player. If he was recruited as a 4, I could people being up in arms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT