ADVERTISEMENT

Flood's choice for starting QB

Very much this.

Laviano is clearly going through a tough time right now.

The season is over, with the last loss in brutal fashion for the team (especially the taste that must be left in his mouth after that last drive). His coach (and likely much of the staff) is out the door. He came back on the field to a chorus of boos after getting his bell rung (a situation where one would reasonably expect cheering from the crowd, knowing that he was alright). He had an up and down season overall, with fans calling for his benching for months (and apparently going after him on social media).

He needs someone to step in and give him some guidance. Calm him down, get him to lock down his social media accounts, refocus him, etc. Someone to help him mature and look past the current situation toward next season..
Could this lack of guidance some how be attributed to a former coach? A coach who has been reportedly laid back and lacked a sense of discipline when it came to his players. Could those players be just following their coaches cue? Where things were tolerated without any recourse. A lot of these players are going to be in for a rude awakening when the next coach comes in. Some will hack it, some won't. I don't blame the kid, look who has been guiding him. Flood treated his players like he was their best friend, instead of instilling the discipline needed at this age. I truly believe a lot, not all of these incidents could have been avoided if these kids were given the proper discipline. Give an inch I'll take a mile.

um.. it is based on the QB's post and quote. The QB made a public comment. Fair game.

You don't think he chose that photo as part of the comment?

Not sure why he has a problem with students going home for Thanksgiving weekend and not returning to watch him play football. If anything that photo shows how the students have stripped off the weight of watching Flood-Laviano football.
Man, some of you guys are digging. Leave the guy alone. Season is over. Not real smart to be trying to extract something from a social media post to throw stones at the starting QB. But if you guys get your jollies doing this, have at it. Still think it is classless.

When he wins games the 30 boo fans that Laviano antagonized will love him again. As for my comment, before Nova's senior season I would cringe when he was about to throw the ball and the fans invented disrespectful nick names. This was Laviano's first season and he doesn't have any disrespectful nick names. (If you nick name him now it is to late).

Exhibit 1.

I've been referring to him as Lavianova since the Penn St. game. Does that count?

All kidding aside, a quick review of social media by a potential incoming staff, could speak to what type of perception we have as a program or the type of potential rebuild we are looking at. I think Laviano posting this, doesn't reflect well on the program, himself or the school. A posting that says something along the lines of getting back to work or looking to improve, could be perceived as total BS/fluff, but as the leader of the program at QB, an incoming coach may think he has a QB in place to win......or could read this and figure that while RU has good backs in place and perhaps a decent OL, it lacks a QB to lead the roster.

It's relatively disappointing that we are at this stage micro-managing things, but good coaches and program leading people, tend to micromanage certain things at certain times....it's the coach that is too detailed that perhaps loses sight of what the goal at hand is, but RU has always had a QB problem for well over a decade and whomever the next coach is, will have to teach Laviano more than being the most readily available QB that knows the playbook or plays tough....he will have to perform and develop as a player, person and leader. Right now, boos or not, he's not showing me anything other than being defiant, which is a reflection upon Flood, who defended him and ultimately lost his job because Laviano probably didn't develop fast enough as a player.

This is big-time athletics and although not fair, we are not yet the ruthless cut-throat folks of the SEC fans or parts of the Pac 12/Big 12.....a new coach has a pretty easy decision on what to do here, in my opinion and Laviano is shortening the amount of rope he should receive by posting stuff like this.

Pathetic "fans". The kid gets bashed by opposing defenses ( RU lead the B1G in sacks allowed), gets bashed on message boards since game one, and then booed for no reason, and then he responds a bit...and gets nailed again. A bunch of bully aholes some of you are...except only cyber bullies of course. Yeah I know, you claim that you were booing Flood, but anyone with half a brain would know Laviano would hear the boos loud and clear.

Last edited:
Could this lack of guidance some how be attributed to a former coach? A coach who has been reportedly laid back and lacked a sense of discipline when it came to his players. Could those players be just following their coaches cue? Where things were tolerated without any recourse. A lot of these players are going to be in for a rude awakening when the next coach comes in. Some will hack it, some won't. I don't blame the kid, look who has been guiding him. Flood treated his players like he was their best friend, instead of instilling the discipline needed at this age. I truly believe a lot, not all of these incidents could have been avoided if these kids were given the proper discipline. Give an inch I'll take a mile.

Good for you! "Class" is certainly a a foreign concept to you. Funny how a guy who totally lacked discipline on the football field is now calling our former coach out for not instilling it. Are you deliberately ignoring all the comments out there by former players thanking Coach Flood for being such a positive influence on them? You ran him out of town, but you are still making up shit to make him look bad. Be happy for you pyrrhic victory and grow up.

What kind of people will mercilessly bash a kid simply because they think, with very little actual evidence, that his competition has more potential than he does? If I were the young man, I would be angry too. He is a tough kid who apparently has the support of his teammates. Yet a certain group can post nothing positive about him and just look for reasons to bash him - or boo.

He doesn't understand that some people our there have no concept of fairness, but are simply egotistic jackasses who think they are always right. If it is apparent that I am angry too, I make no attempt to hide it. I feel fortunate that I do not have to associate with such pathetic excuses for human beings as some of the people who post on this site..

I support Chris 100%, just as I would support Hayden 100% if he were to win the competition. Successfully tarring and feathering our former coach and running him out of town does not in any sense prove that your opinions were correct. All you did was to eliminate the possibility of our former coach proving you wrong. Ignorance is still ignorance.

I am not going to dwell on what Coach Flood could or could not have accomplished. When our new coach is hired, I will support him 100% also. If he does not choose Laviano, I can accept that. If he does not choose Rettig, I can accept that too.

I'd interpret it that way to, and to be honest, its probably for the best.
I don't think he should be thinking about transferring at all. Again, when the coach leaves you in the starting line up during an almost two month span where the offense is dead in the water and the other guy everyone has been dying to see, finality gets on the field, the reaction to him being pulled out of the game is a chorus of boos. That's what it was..."Leave Rettig in and see what he can do, Gdammit!!!!"

Laviano shouldn't take it that it was directed at him because it wasn't. Surely he knows QB's get benched and if he's honest with himself, he'll admit that the offense perhaps could have benefited from a change as he didn't turn it around.

Let him have his temper tantrum, he's 20 years old and frustrated. What he needs to work on his finding a way to accurately make the deeper throws. He has no idea where the ball is going 20 yards and further. It's a technique thing and he should work to find it and become a better QB. Boos will turn to cheers quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT