ADVERTISEMENT

Flood's choice for starting QB

RUJohnny99

Hall of Famer
Nov 7, 2003
still not ready to make up with the fanbase.

12313774_10105793760409579_1237451970436468628_n.jpg

Yea, I saw that. But, he's not wrong about this post...and since that is a pic of the student section he seems to be calling out his fellow students.

It's a bible verse from Hebrews 12:1

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
It's a bible verse from Hebrews 12:1

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

So he wanted Richt as the coach?

Reactions: SHUSource
In the first quarter the cameras zoomed in on him on the bench bopping to music and he looked ridiculous. Anyone see that? Kid seems like an idiot. Good luck at Nassua Community.

leaders need to move on to the next challenge. i fear if he keeps this up, he's going to lose support. someone needs to be counseling him.
Possibly with multiple guys getting kicked off the field for issues(sins) maybe he simply saying he needs to do things the right way.

This was not a shot at the student section or others. Maybe he simply wants to change himself for the better.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Possibly with multiple guys getting kicked off the field for issues(sins) maybe he simply saying he needs to do things the right way.

This was not a shot at the student section or others. Maybe he simply wants to change himself for the better.
Normally, I'm all over giving our guys the benefit of the doubt and I hope I'm wrong in this case. Sadly, Laviano's body of work this season (not talking about his actual game performance) has left me skeptical of his character.

Reactions: RUChris

and yet he left off the last line of the quote "especially the sin that so easily trips us up. "

If it were just the quote, I could get the "he's expressing his Christian faith" bit... but the quote coupled with the picture? Not so much.

Someone really needs to get in this kid's ear and keep him off of social media.

Reactions: S.B. Crumb
For the holier than thou crowd:
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Reactions: newell138
I don't know what this is about. Not going to judge the intent. But I would assume whomever is the next coach is going to reel him in a bit. Too much risk with social media as you can see here with this small sampling of interpretations and motives.

Reactions: RUChris
Oh c'mon with this chastising. Chris Laviano is the starting QB of a P5 football team, which requires leadership skills and sound decision making. I don't care if the other 64,999 kids at Rutgers want to show off on Instagram or have a few drinks at the age of 20. I don't really care if Laviano wants to, but the standard for him is higher. The context of recent events leading to this needs to be taken into account. The arm waving, the first Instagram post, etc.

Booing his return was 110% classless and ugly -- no doubt about it. I was disgusted. But I also believe he needs someone guiding him on how to react to it. He hasn't shown great judgement since, in my opinion.

do anyone of you have instagram? Theres a lot of fans commenting on his recent pictures and its pretty immature/despicable. I never supported the bum for a second but some of the things they are directly saying to him is embarrassing.

Oh c'mon with this chastising. Chris Laviano is the starting QB of a P5 football team, which requires leadership skills and sound decision making. I don't care if the other 64,999 kids at Rutgers want to show off on Instagram or have a few drinks at the age of 20. I don't really care if Laviano wants to, but the standard for him is higher. The context of recent events leading to this needs to be taken into account. The arm waving, the first Instagram post, etc.

Booing his return was 110% classless and ugly -- no doubt about it. I was disgusted. But I also believe he needs someone guiding him on how to react to it. He hasn't shown great judgement since, in my opinion.

Very much this.

Laviano is clearly going through a tough time right now.

The season is over, with the last loss in brutal fashion for the team (especially the taste that must be left in his mouth after that last drive). His coach (and likely much of the staff) is out the door. He came back on the field to a chorus of boos after getting his bell rung (a situation where one would reasonably expect cheering from the crowd, knowing that he was alright). He had an up and down season overall, with fans calling for his benching for months (and apparently going after him on social media).

He needs someone to step in and give him some guidance. Calm him down, get him to lock down his social media accounts, refocus him, etc. Someone to help him mature and look past the current situation toward next season..

The part of the verse about stripping off the weight that's slowing us down? He wants to run an up tempo offense and Flood was keeping us from doing that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For the holier than thou crowd:
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
but isn't there a clarifying verse that says something like but if you judge, judge rightly?

How old are you guys following this young man? I don't get it. I see it and think so what. You guys see it and judge him to be this or that? I don't think he needs fans to nail him to the cross show mercy for Christ's sake. He is better player than Nova btw. He was booed and as a young guy reacts to it and grown men react to that when grown men know better.

maybe I'm naive, but I don't think it's a shot at anyone. He is just making plain that he is a devout Christian. Nothing wrong with that (written by someone who is not Christian)
He got a fake ID to go to the bars...and got caught.

How old are you guys following this young man? I don't get it. I see it and think so what. You guys see it and judge him to be this or that? I don't think he needs fans to nail him to the cross show mercy for Christ's sake. He throws less interceptions than Nova btw. He was booed and as a young guy reacts to it and grown men react to that when grown men know better.

I went ahead and fixed it for you, because in terms of skill set, arm strength and yardage your original statement was ridiculous.

Former head coach Kyle Flood and Chris Laviano are Exhibit A for what can and will happen when you antagonize your own fanbase.

Reactions: BrickCityRU
I went ahead and fixed it for you, because in terms of skill set, arm strength and yardage your original statement was ridiculous.

Former head coach Kyle Flood and Chris Laviano are Exhibit A for what can and will happen when you antagonize your own fanbase.
When he wins games the 30 boo fans that Laviano antagonized will love him again. As for my comment, before Nova's senior season I would cringe when he was about to throw the ball and the fans invented disrespectful nick names. This was Laviano's first season and he doesn't have any disrespectful nick names. (If you nick name him now it is to late).

Exhibit 1.

Last edited:
leaders need to move on to the next challenge. i fear if he keeps this up, he's going to lose support. someone needs to be counseling him.
He has to have the attitude that heckling fans are the equivalent of a tick on a dog's a$$.

I was also shocked when the booing started, but I also think a lot of it was against the constant rock-headed Flood for not giving Laviano real time to get his head cleared up. If some were booing CL, shame on them! How the hell could putting in Rettig have compromised anything at that point? Besides, all CL did was hand the ball off anyway.
Anyway, if he is planning to stay at RU, he really does need to get himself under control with what he is doing. He is certainly turning people against him who may well have been at least neutral. It is not his fault that he was the guy to start. When the new coach arrives and evaluates every player, this will not be missed.

Reactions: RUsSKii
As a PS I like Nova and made hype up videos to juice him up. I am sorry I am tricked into showing Bad Nova.

When he wins games the 10,000 booing fans that Laviano antagonized will love him again. As for my comment, before Nova's senior season I would cringe when he was about to throw the ball and the fans invented disrespectful nick names. This was Laviano's first season and he doesn't have any disrespectful nick names. (If you nick name him now it is to late).

Exhibit 1.

I fixed it for you again.

If Laviano somehow earns the starting QB position next season and begins winning games against formidable B1G opponents next season, then I'll certainly respect and cheer him on. But "loving" him as with past Rutgers stars, given his recent actions and publicly shown demeanor, is out of the question. I'll even admit that I was one of those who defended him for being caught with a fake ID, which in my opinion is no big deal since the drinking age is too high and all but irrelevant to college students.

No Flood left to kick around, so go after the starting QB?
Lots of posters showing a complete lack of class and tact. Kid quotes scripture, and he gets ripped for it. SMH.

um.. it is based on the QB's post and quote. The QB made a public comment. Fair game.

You don't think he chose that photo as part of the comment?

Not sure why he has a problem with students going home for Thanksgiving weekend and not returning to watch him play football. If anything that photo shows how the students have stripped off the weight of watching Flood-Laviano football.

If it were just the quote, I could get the "he's expressing his Christian faith" bit... but the quote coupled with the picture? Not so much.

Someone really needs to get in this kid's ear and keep him off of social media.

You nailed it right here. Spot-on my friend.

The kid will be fine. I mean, what are people going to do to him, boo him again?

If he plays and performs, all will be forgiven instantly. If he doesn't play, he'll be forgotten. If he plays and does not perform well, it wouldn't matter if he'd spent an hour a day writing love sonnets to the fans, he'll still be eviscerated.

Bunch of over-sensitive drama queen fans is what we've got. Oooh look, the kid is flipping us the bird. Let's get all butt-hurt over it. o_O

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT