ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Att'y General To "Investigate" Playoff Committee

Agree as B1G >>> ACC

But if, for some reason that happened, people would be flipping out and rightfully so

Noles being left out of the playoffs going undefeated and winning conference championship game in a power five conference is unprecedented, and as people start digging into the situation, a lot of corruption, politics, etc. is starting to come out

It’s typical ESPN corruption, but on a whole other level now

What legal basis does the Florida AG have to compel the people, all of whom appear to be out of state, to cooperate? In any case what laws would have been violated? Seems like a typical right wing stunt.
I assume they don’t think they’re actually going to win this, it’s more about exposing the members for the frauds that they are, and of equal importance, outing ESPN for their blatant money grab

As an aside, can we please leave politics the hell out of this conversation? All we need is 90 other people to jump in and completely ruin a valid thread.

all I know is that I wish the NJ politicians cared this much about Rutgers
You and I both man, NJ politicians would probably start a petition to ban us from the playoffs Based off the travel cost, the amount of positive press that would have to be written, and God forbid additional applicants supplying to Rutgers

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Cincinnati got snubbed with an undefeated record years ago out of Rutgers old conference (AAC at the time?) and for me that established the precedent that being undefeated does not entitle you to one of the 4 slots. In the absence of any evidence of wrongdoing, this is a frivolous action. There are 4 conference champs in the playoffs and they all had higher sos then FSU. Team record is not one of the key criteria of the committee. It's not the way I would have picked it, but its within their discretion.
All right, but that AAC conference was complete trash.

The ACC is exactly the NFC east from the 80s, but it’s a power five conference with quasi legit teams.

We scheduled LSU. We scheduled Florida. Miami and Clemson were supposed to be halfway decent. It’s not our fault that the ACC was down this year, or the gators sucked once again, or LSU under achieved.

The goal is to win your games, and we did that to the tune of 13-0

I get the anger and disappointment, but an investigation by the attorney general? That seems a little ridiculous. It also is bad practice to ask a group that was working confidentially to reveal their conversations. This committee didn't have any legal jurisdiction over anything, so this is a very slippery slope.
Again, I think it’s more about exposing the 13 committee members as well as ESPN for their blatant bias.

Additionally, Maybe this plays a part, and dissolving the grant of rights or getting out for a reduced amount

You and I both man, NJ politicians would probably start a petition to ban us from the playoffs Based off the travel cost, the amount of positive press that would have to be written, and God forbid additional applicants supplying to Rutgers
right!

what is amazing in all the responses, no one picked up on this support

then you wonder why Rutgers get's shafted by the state

All right, but that AAC conference was complete trash.

The ACC is exactly the NFC east from the 80s, but it’s a power five conference with quasi legit teams.

We scheduled LSU. We scheduled Florida. Miami and Clemson were supposed to be halfway decent. It’s not our fault that the ACC was down this year, or the gators sucked once again, or LSU under achieved.

The goal is to win your games, and we did that to the tune of 13-0
It's a good FB forum topic, but making Florida taxpayers and the CFP committee spend millions and waste their time on litigation is ridiculous. 1. The inquiry has no ability to change the outcome. 2. The format is changing next year. Cincinnati lost its 2021 bowl to Georgia so that question is settled. The committee made the right choice then. Your turn to win out vs Georgia. Congrats on a great season.

It's a good FB forum topic, but making Florida taxpayers and the CFP committee spend millions and waste their time on litigation is ridiculous. 1. The inquiry has no ability to change the outcome. 2. The format is changing next year. Cincinnati lost its 2021 bowl to Georgia so that question is settled. The committee made the right choice then. Your turn to win out vs Georgia. Congrats on a great season.
If the CFP was honest, transparent, consistent and not corrupt, we wouldn't be having this conversation
The outcome won't be changed, but exposing the blatant BS is the goal

Re. Florida:
They set aside a million dollars
20 million people in FL
It's about 20 cents per person

Re. football
Let's see how good the Noles are vs. what I and many others consider the top team in the land

Re. UGA
They lose one game by 3 and drop from 1 to 6
Who in their right mind thinks they're the 6th best team in the county
Again, CFP is full of shit

If the CFP was honest, transparent, consistent and not corrupt, we wouldn't be having this conversation
The outcome won't be changed, but exposing the blatant BS is the goal

Re. Florida:
They set aside a million dollars
20 million people in FL
It's about 20 cents per person

Re. football
Let's see how good the Noles are vs. what I and many others consider the top team in the land

Re. UGA
They lose one game by 3 and drop from 1 to 6
Who in their right mind thinks they're the 6th best team in the county
Again, CFP is full of shit
Tell me who on the Committee is corrupt, please.

ironic from someone in NJ lol

I applaud the Florida AG, he should be looking out for the state institutions

Reactions: bac2therac
This is hilarious. Either the AG’s office was handed evidence in blatant corruption in the selection process or the AG is gonna go full Florida Man. Both outcomes have tremendous entertainment value.

This is hilarious. Either the AG’s office was handed evidence in blatant corruption in the selection process or the AG is gonna go full Florida Man. Both outcomes have tremendous entertainment value.
Nothing is going to change the outcome
The goal here is to out the corruptness of the committee and ESPN

Slice it anyway you want, what happened was messed up
If this happened here at Rutgers, people would be losing their shit

Lazy people always say the dumbest things.
Yeah, but that's only half the story.

Smart lazy people do indeed always say the dumbest things... in order to get dumb energetic people to do all the work for everyone. 😉

Boo Corrigan
So an ACC member hates FSU so much he votes he screws the ACC by making sure they do not have a member in the Final Four, gotcha 🙄
The stupidity on here is amazing. As Committee Chairman he did not have the power to over rule all the other non corrupt members. Your tin foil hat is two sizes too small.

So an ACC member hates FSU so much he votes he screws the ACC by making sure they do not have a member in the Final Four, gotcha 🙄
The stupidity on here is amazing. As Committee Chairman he did not have the power to over rule all the other non corrupt members. Your tin foil hat is two sizes too small.
First of all, his brother is a higher up for ESPN

Second, NCS was one of the 4 original no votes on Stanford, Cal & SMU, then at the last minute switched it up
That caused a ton of bad blood between him and the 3 other No schools

He knows FSU is out the door soon. Big Brother in Chapel Hill isn't far behind. Add Clemson to the mix, and the ACC is now the Sun Belt. The gravy train is about to run out.

First of all, his brother is a higher up for ESPN

Second, NCS was one of the 4 original no votes on Stanford, Cal & SMU, then at the last minute switched it up
That caused a ton of bad blood between him and the 3 other No schools

He knows FSU is out the door soon. Big Brother in Chapel Hill isn't far behind. Add Clemson to the mix, and the ACC is now the Sun Belt. The gravy train is about to run out.
Haha whatever. So are you saying he changed everyone else vote right before the announcement without them knowing??
So what about ESPN. They are involved with every conference heavily except the Big Ten. Michigan got in and is the #1 seed. Facts doesn't seem to be your conspiracy theory strong suit at all.

Haha whatever. So are you saying he changed everyone else vote right before the announcement without them knowing??
So what about ESPN. They are involved with every conference heavily except the Big Ten. Michigan got in and is the #1 seed. Facts doesn't seem to be your conspiracy theory strong suit at all.
No, I'm saying he's clearly biased, as are everyone else that was on the committee knowing ESPN pulls the strings and having a 1 loss Bama team in there was better for business than an undefeated FSU.

Let me ask you this; do you really think Georgia is the 5th best team in the country? Additionally, if they're basing the exclusion on the performance vs. Louisville, you're telling me OSU should be ranked behind FSU?

Of course Michigan was # 1 - they're a blue blood, in the B1G, undefeated, top 5 brand in college athletics, carry massive viewership and ratings, and bring in tons of money.

Who the hell would they rank # 1... FSU? Washington? Bama? Texas?

Agree man
I come here to talk football
Not politics, right or left, any of that nonsense
Also agree.

Politics = pile a ticks = the act of wasting huge amounts of time chasing one's own tail.

For all those who think their version of political nonsense is useful to the world, tick... tick... tick... 😉

Also agree.

Politics = pile a ticks = the act of wasting huge amounts of time chasing one's own tail.

For all those who think their version of political nonsense is useful to the world, tick... tick... tick... 😉
My opinion means jack squat on most things in life, sports included and I at least know something about that
It means even less on the subject of politics, and nobody here is going to change anyone's opinion at this stage of the game

Reactions: mildone
“Please keep this non-political” is kinda funny.

How is this apolitical?
Anything is political if you want to make it that way. Nowhere in the article does it state D or R. Red or Blue. Simply says 1 million set aside and AG pursing this.

If anything, as a Gator, she should be lauded for doing the right thing in the name of college football and the state of Florida

I wish our ag would investigate the phantom penalty on the fake field goal against Louisville in 2012. That was a real crime and the criminals gor away Scott free.

I was thinking it would be worth it to get the records on how we got left out from the NCAA last year. NJ.com would love to get some op eds out there on it lol. (As a legal matter neither the NJ or FL gov has a right I would bet)

Anything is political if you want to make it that way. Nowhere in the article does it state D or R. Red or Blue. Simply says 1 million set aside and AG pursing this.

If anything, as a Gator, she should be lauded for doing the right thing in the name of college football and the state of Florida
in a nutshell but few here can think past their nose

would kill to see our politicians stand by RU the way other state's pols do. This is the travesty of this discussion in that no one cares. Everyone should be saying, 'wish we had that' and that alone

What legal basis does the Florida AG have to compel the people, all of whom appear to be out of state, to cooperate? In any case what laws would have been violated? Seems like a typical right wing stunt.

I would imagine that any NCAA school likely signs away close to their first born child to participate and thus waives all rights to this kind of information. With all the NCAA snubs over the years, including our own in basketball last year, and the fact that a lot of AGs are elected, would have ban a massive miss for dozens of schools over the years.

I would imagine that any NCAA school likely signs away close to their first born child to participate and thus waives all rights to this kind of information. With all the NCAA snubs over the years, including our own in basketball last year, and the fact that a lot of AGs are elected, would have ban a massive miss for dozens of schools over the years.
That was maddening last year for sure in regard to the snub
Now imagine if we would have won the B1G title in Indy, and then got snubbed
People would have been going ape shit, and rightfully so

This makes a lot of sense. How in the world did the committee include Washington or Michigan in over UGA? UGA would be favored over either of those teams on a neutral field, that is the definition of being better. The committee clearly had an anti-SEC Conference bias and were more focused on diversity instead of merit.
Are you kidding me? Anti-SEC? Maybe if Bama was left out alongside Georgia.

You know the guidance they get, right? undefeated conference champions go first. It showed that in the CFP rankings week by week. It should have been no surprise.

So, if anything, Florida has it right. FSU is an undefeated P5 conference champion. One of 3. The only one of those 3 who did not get in. I think the main problem is the shifting of rationales.. conference champions giving way to best teams and eyeball test... the committee uses whatever rationale they need to justify their choices.. there is no consistency year to year.

Yeah.. we can all understand the best teams thing and why Bama.. and Texas (each conference champions).. got in... while Georgia was out. But the question is, was there some kind of outside influence into the committee?

I'm glad there will be an investigation and I have suspicions that the TV interests (Disney Corp/ESPN) DO affect the CFP and will continue to do so. They are the customers for the CFP and they have to answer to stockholders and advertisers.. and what they all want are highly-rated TV games that generate a lot of eyeballs and ad revenues. I would be shocked if ESPN (and big advertisers) have no influence over teh committee.

But where Florida could save themselves a lot of time is that there is precedence for teams to be overlooked because of injuries to stars. And yet, interestingly, the first-ever CFP was won by a team that lost their QB and had other fans complaining that they should not have been given a CFP slot.. Ohio State.

No matter what the committee did, there would be an investigation.. by Alabama or Texas should FSU have replaced one of them. FSU's championship game was weak sauce. They had the chance to play themselves in and they played poorly. That justified the thing most of the committee wanted to do.. SEC and Texas. ESPN and its advertisers are happy... and, if anything, Florida's investigation will just add to the hype and TV ratings and revenues.

Last edited:

My personal view is that FSU should have made it over Bama and ofc that RU belonged in the tournament and that was certainly borne out by Nevada's performance.

I am saying strictly as a legal matter. For example people said TXAM was snubbed the year before, the TX AG is also elected. Would be a pretty big miss. Whether people are upset or justified in their anger is another story. People will be angry if the NCAA responds with an agreement saying everyone has to accept their decisions. Barring some kind of payola it's going to be impossible to get around that,

And thinking further I would also be stunned if they don't have mandatory arbitration even if you get through this not being barred in whatever agreement there is in the first place.

I'm still pissed about baseball too@!@@@@@@@ now that is a snub

yes you articulated it perfectly with the Indy comment. This board would be going nuts

Are you kidding me? Anti-SEC? Maybe if Bama was left out alongside Georgia.

You know the guidance they get, right? undefeated conference champions go first. It showed that in the CFP rankings week by week. It should have been no surprise.

So, if anything, Florida has it right. FSU is an undefeated P5 conference champion. One of 3. The only one of those 3 who did not get in. I think the main problem is the shifting of rationales.. conference champions giving way to best teams and eyeball test... the committee uses whatever rationale they need to justify their choices.. there is no consistency year to year.

Yeah.. we can all understand the best teams thing and why Bama.. and Texas (each conference champions).. got in... while Georgia was out. But the question is, was there some kind of outside influence into the committee?

I'm glad there will be an investigation and I have suspicions that the TV interests (Disney Corp/ESPN) DO affect the CFP and will continue to do so. They are the customers for the CFP and they have to answer to stockholders and advertisers.. and what they all want are highly-rated TV games that generate a lot of eyeballs and ad revenues. I would be shocked if ESPN (and big advertisers) have no influence over teh committee.

But where Florida could save themselves a lot of time is that there is precedence for teams to be overlooked because of injuries to stars. And yet, interestingly, the first-ever CFP was won by a team that lost their QB and had other fans complaining that they should not have been given a CFP slot.. Ohio State.
I was not aware of any times a team was overlooked b/c of injuries to stars (or at least undefeated conference champs). I know OSU won it with Cardale "I aint come to play school" Jones, but not sure about teams being omitted

I'm still pissed about baseball too@!@@@@@@@ now that is a snub

yes you articulated it perfectly with the Indy comment. This board would be going nuts
Baseball got hosed big time
On a side note, I can't wait until a real stadium is built
Games in May with the sun shining will be a treat

I think everyone knows the decision is final
Part of the reason they're doing this is to expose ESPN and the committee

Part could be re. the GOR, and getting a reduced payout amount

Addtionally, a lot of boosters were in favor of joining the SEC. The last thing you need is a civil war amongst the power players in your fan base re. B1G vs. SEC

This definitely helps the B1G narrative

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT