ADVERTISEMENT

Fries to PSU

Who cares, I'll take any player from Florida over these drama queen jersey guys. He will be a bust for them anyways, can't wait for our Dline to plow over him and smack him around when he comes back to Jersey
Pretty funny. You do standup?

No need to call him a "Dog". Pedophile Supporter, maybe, but not a dog. :)

As an aside, I know someone who works in his school, and was told that a lot of his classmates are going to Rutgers. I hope that he gets "showered" with Pedd State mockery throughout his last year in HS, it will be well earned.

Why would you want that for any 17 yr old high school kid? So what... he chose to play football at a different school. Perspective

Who cares, I'll take any player from Florida over these drama queen jersey guys. He will be a bust for them anyways, can't wait for our Dline to plow over him and smack him around when he comes back to Jersey
Well said.

Penn State has national championships....way more bowl appearances than we do and have been doing it for decades. Just because most of you guys diss PSU it doent mean a recruit has the same blinders on you do.

Give me a Fla guy that WANTS to play at RU over ANY of these NJ Guarantino drama clones any day.

Pretty funny. You do standup?

It is amazing to see the absolutely mindless rationalizations on this board as we continue to get our clock cleaned by PSU, among others, in recruiting under KF.

And if Franklin is such a liar, etc., why is everyone choosing PSU over us? Are all of these recruits and their families just blind? Of course not - they want to go to a program that is able to recruit the quality of kids needed to win in the B1G. And that's exactly what Franklin is doing, love him or hate him. We are beating out Monmouth, Temple and UConn for many of our kids. Not very promising.

For those who purport Franklin to be some sort of "ace recruiter", can you explain his abysmal recruiting classes at Vandy (by number of stars)?

Could it be that his ability to pull in some nice recruits is more of a nod to PSU's strength as a program and brand as opposed to Franklin's supposed recruiting prowess..?
Franklin had top 25 classes at Vandy his last 2 years there.

I have been saying the same thing for how long? Seems like slowly but surely people are finally coming over to the side of realism but of course there is you few that no matter what who will still be Flood's bodyguards.

For those who purport Franklin to be some sort of "ace recruiter", can you explain his abysmal recruiting classes at Vandy (by number of stars)?

Could it be that his ability to pull in some nice recruits is more of a nod to PSU's strength as a program and brand as opposed to Franklin's supposed recruiting prowess..?

I don't think anyone on this board cares whether Franklin is an ace recruiter or not or whether the brand I helping him or not. The fact is that he is recruiting top quality talent and we aren't. And as long as KF is here that won't change - it's pretty clear. That's the problem.

Reactions: RUchip
From a bunch of 2-3 stars to majority three with some 4s sprinkled in. Hmm...

By that standard, Greg Schiano was an "ace recruiter" as well.

Except we all know he wasn't.

My point is that PSU is simply an easier sell than Rutgers. Not saying it's necessarily "better"; just an easier sell.

5f464bc1644f93e623cf1e86bc501ad5.jpg

My point is that PSU is simply an easier sell than Rutgers. Not saying it's necessarily "better"; just an easier sell.

You can cherry pick specific prospects but the fact remains he signed top 25 classes at Vandy. PSU is definitely an easier see than Rutgers. Anyone that would debate that with you would have to have their head in the sand.

GS was not a top recruiter in a purely empirical sense compared to the top 10-15 programs. But based on what he had to work with, especially in the early years, he was an absolute miracle worker, especially compared to KF who now has a recognized (if not yet blue chip) brand along with the top conference to sell and simply can't get it done. The decommit situation in 2014 told us all we need to know and it hasn't gotten better since then.

Reactions: miket007 and KJ_RU
I think it was CranfordKnight that posted a while ago that he had heard from people close to the high school program that Fries' dad didn't want him going to RU. Then there was a post from someone claiming to be Fries' dad disputing that. Perhaps CranfordKnight had it right. Not ready to pile on Flood, but he has to start reeling in top NJ players. Of course I'll take a 4star from any state-but NJ is our home turf and we need to be winning more recruiting battles here.

If you know Cranford, you knew he wasn't coming here. Hope something changes and I'm wrong. But there are many more Penn State hats/shirts on the parents I see at games on the weekends. We're about a generation away from Rutgers being a destination school for these kids. I think it really is as simple as that in these upper middle class towns in NJ.

Oh the horrors. We still haven't gotten over the loss of Brendan Mahon, Angelo Mangiro, and Big-Time Bill Belton to Pedd St.'s superior recruiting and now we have to deal with them taking away our fries.
How will we possibly compete without fries?

We'll just have to wait till Penn State fans aren't satisfied with fourth place behind Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State. After 2 to 3 more years, Franklin will be gone. Rutgers fans just have to accept 5th or 6th place unless we change our recruiting. Even superior coaching can not overcome the difference in talent.

Then PSU will hire Chip Kelly and you will be crying about Kelly.

We're about a generation away from Rutgers being a destination school for these kids. I think it really is as simple as that in these upper middle class towns in NJ.

Unfortunately I'm starting to believe this to be true. Before GS turned things around for RU, I attended a summer football camp. I wasn't a star athlete or anything, but I just wanted to learn more to help my HS team. But when I wore my RU gear proudly, there wasn't 1 positive thing any classmate/teammate had to say about it. This of course was way back in 2003, so I do believe the level of negative perception has significantly decreased but I do think it's still enough to the point where Penn St is still the better opportunity despite their scandals.

Recruiting in-state/local talent has two main benefits as I see it...

1. Leveraging brand recognition. With the exception of very few programs such as ND, USC, and 'Bama, most schools rely on their brand to attract some of the best "local" recruits in perpetuity. Neither Rutgers nor PSU has the national brand luxury like the top tiers do. I know this next statement is relatively subjective, but I think that PSU has better brand recognition than RU in our shared recruiting "territories" which I think gives PSU an edge in this regard. This can all change in a very short period of time if RU starts beating PSU more often than not.
  2. Recruiting finances. It's simply cheaper to recruit kids in your backyard than it is to recruit kids further away. Landing the top recruits in your "territory" frees up finances to go after some of the more nationally recognized players. It's simple economics. I can't say for certain because I don't have the link readily available, but I think that PSU has a bigger recruiting budget than RU.

At least that's the way I see it in terms of the importance of recruiting the local talent. I know, I know...one man's opinion...

It's not recruiting. NJ kids want to go out of state.

I disagree when it comes to FB recruiting. GS showed you can keep heavily recruited top NJ talent home. It's Flood, full stop. There are coaches out there (if we can afford them some day) who will be able to once again get top talent (NJ and others) to come to RU, especially now that we're in the B1G. Flood isn't one of them and how the cool-aid drinkers on the board can defend him as a quality recruiter is absolutely beyond me.

Quite frankly - I'm happy when a big time recruit comes to RU but I'm not emotionally vested in worrying about every NJ recruit who chooses to go elsewhere. I am vested through a significant amount of time spent on this board however and wish that the Mods (Spanky??) would eliminate all the PSU tramps who constantly come here to bash us or our school. We need to stop having threads about PSU.

Discussion on Flood's recruiting abilities should be open game, but unless a recruit is choosing RU, could care less who this kid is and where he goes....no need to discuss every individual NJ recruit going elsewhere on this board IMO.

I see 6-7 wins a year unless one of the following happens:
1.) One of Urban Meyer/Chip Kelly/Nick Saban is announced the new head coach
2.) Tony Starks or Bruce Wayne graduates and pumps a ridiculous amount of money into the program
3.) We adopt a "moneyball" strategy and switch up our current offensive and defensive philosophies which have demanding recruiting requirements to field properly

IMO, #3 is the easiest/cheapest/most feasible route, which is why I advocate it on these boards.

Reactions: redking
Recruiting in-state/local talent has two main benefits as I see it...

1. Leveraging brand recognition. With the exception of very few programs such as ND, USC, and 'Bama, most schools rely on their brand to attract some of the best "local" recruits in perpetuity. Neither Rutgers nor PSU has the national brand luxury like the top tiers do. I know this next statement is relatively subjective, but I think that PSU has better brand recognition than RU in our shared recruiting "territories" which I think gives PSU an edge in this regard. This can all change in a very short period of time if RU starts beating PSU more often than not.

At least that's the way I see it in terms of the importance of recruiting the local talent. I know, I know...one man's opinion...

You THINK PSU has better brand recognition than Rutgers? Really? I'm sorry but that isn't even a debate. PSU definitely has better brand recognition regionally than Rutgers. Despite the fact that we were at the center of the worst scandal in CFB history our brand still continues to thrive. This is evidenced through our continued success recruiting and our TV viewership. We continue to be one of the most watched teams nationally as well as one of the most valuable programs nationally. It can not change in a short period of time. It can change, but it will take years of sustained success on par or better than ours to overtake our brand.

I disagree when it comes to FB recruiting. GS showed you can keep heavily recruited top NJ talent home. It's Flood, full stop. There are coaches out there (if we can afford them some day) who will be able to once again get top talent (NJ and others) to come to RU, especially now that we're in the B1G. Flood isn't one of them and how the cool-aid drinkers on the board can defend him as a quality recruiter is absolutely beyond me.

Yes but GS did not do it as consistently and in key positions, namely QB and OL. Got AD in 2007 (which I still can't believe) and then had solid 2011 class (on paper only) and a great 2012 before he headed out the door. But it's not like he pulled 2-3 AD's every year for 3 or 4 years in a row. As for QB, I know Teddy Bridgewater was out of state but Florida was supposed to be a place Greg had traction in and we lost out to brand newbie head coach Charlie Strong for Bridgewater. Think about where our program could be right now if TB was our QB for years as opposed to Nova (all due respect to Gary and his family). So while Flood's recruiting leaves a lot to be desired, let's not make GS out to be the messiah of college football recruiting.

Earlier this week I happened to watch a video interview with a 2017, 4* Jersey D-line prospect.

When asked how he felt about Rutgers, (the 1st to extend him an offer), he said something along the lines of..."They're in the loop. 'Ya know, they're my home state school, so I know I always have them to fall back on".

Now the kid probably didn't mean it in the way it came off in the interview. But when he termed the Rutgers offer as something "to fall back on", it wasn't exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear, and to be honest, it bothered me.

Somehow, someway, that perception of Jersey kids towards Rutgers has got to change. -And don't get me wrong, I really don't care what state top players come from. If they want to play for RU then I say WELCOME, no matter where they're from. ...But it sure wouldn't hurt. too, if some of the perceived high level NJ prospects had a bit less of a lukewarm attitude toward the Knights.

Reactions: redking and RUwoz
Yes but GS did not do it as consistently and in key positions, namely QB and OL. Got AD in 2007 (which I still can't believe) and then had solid 2011 class (on paper only) and a great 2012 before he headed out the door. But it's not like he pulled 2-3 AD's every year for 3 or 4 years in a row. As for QB, I know Teddy Bridgewater was out of state but Florida was supposed to be a place Greg had traction in and we lost out to brand newbie head coach Charlie Strong for Bridgewater. Think about where our program could be right now if TB was our QB for years as opposed to Nova (all due respect to Gary and his family). So while Flood's recruiting leaves a lot to be desired, let's not make GS out to be the messiah of college football recruiting.
Sure but he did it more consistently than Flood is. And he certainly did it for two consecutive years before he left. One can imagine that he would have been even better at it with the Big Ten on his side.

Greg wasnt the best recruiter ever. it took him a decade and a couple of hot shots on the staff to really kick it up a notch. But he does show that its possible for a Rutgers coach to recruit NJ well - and that was with the conference crumbling and losing our BCS bid a real possibility. There is simply no excuse for Floods inability to get NJ top ten talent (or the equivalent from out of state).

When Flood is gone is 3-4 years, and we higher someone else, it will show up pretty quickly how lame all of these excuses really are for his dismal recruiting.

Man I cringe at the thought of Kyle Flood still coaching this team 3-4 years from now. We're looking at back to back, 6-6 seasons coming up. He should be gon after that

Reactions: Butters96
At this point, if GS wants to come back and doesn't want to take us to the cleaners for a salary I would be ok with him coming back. I do think his outlook towards coaching has changed and I want better recruiting and I know he can do it at least. I want Flood gone he has done nothing for the team. It is a fact. Has he really grown this team? Improved recruiting? No we have taken steps back in every category. At least GS showed good progress and if he didn't leave I would have loved to see where we would be as a team today.

I think he will flip to Michigan.
no. michigan is in on a bunch of top ol and they should start comitting in the next couple months. fries never really hit it of with the michigan coaches and like i said michigan is going after a few bigtime guys so they really werent concerned.

Man I cringe at the thought of Kyle Flood still coaching this team 3-4 years from now. We're looking at back to back, 6-6 seasons coming up. He should be gon after that
6-6 is not a given anymore. Look at Cuse, Pitt, and BC. They are happy with 6-6 after what they went thru.

Shocked, I say shocked, that a top tier recruit would pass on RU. 2016 will be the year Flood shows he can attract NJ's top talent. What, these are 2016 guys? I could have sworn all the sunshine pumpers were hanging their hats on the 2016's. That's right, stars are over rated. We want Rutgers men. All the coaches eating Floods lunch are snakes, slimy and liars. Every top tier recruit that Flood whiffs on ends up at a place where the Rutgers values are not exemplified. It's not Floods fault. It's not Floods fault. It's not Floods fault.

Can't wait to hear to the rational spin from the Irrational Pollyannas on how Flood can recruit.
We all want it to be better but this is a frick'n disaster .

Did a tour or Rumson Fair Haven High school recently. On a wall in the high school, there is a larger PSU mural with their Nittany Lion mascot. No Rutgers mural or even a block R magnet on a locker. Donald Bedell came from Rumson Fair Haven, and maybe the overall "presence" of Rutgers as a destination will change, but we are probably not even in the thought process for a lot of recruits. We have one year in the B1G. Some of you geniuses think that this is automatically a recruiting road paved with gold. It is not. Our branding and omnipresence in the minds of high school students and recruits has a very long way to go. In the meantime, keep blaming it all on Flood.

I agree that GS was not a consistently strong recruiter. And with respect to FL, he got a number of kids who turned out great, but I believe that he only got three FL kids in all his years at RU that had UM or FSU offers - Kaleb Johnson, Knight (DB from Jacksonville who was gone quickly who had many top offers, including I believe had UM and/or FSU) and Deering, who was a major FSU target and who ended up at DB and kick returner after getting limited time at WR). But given where the brand (there was none) was when he got there and the many hills he had to climb, he did a great job. Flood isn't faced with the uphill background noise that GS had especially when he first got to RU and has the exponential advantage of being in the B1G. But relative to what GS did, KF has not capitalized on either of those positive differentials. As limited as GS may have been in recruiting (and I don't believe he was that limited), KF is much, much worse.

Reactions: Butters96
I'm not going to get into the who GS vs KF thing, but I will say that Kyle Flood was a miraculous half away from being hated again and on the hot seat. The Maryland game saved him, and made everyone forget that he can't recruit because it spiraled into a favorable matchup in a better bowl than we would have been in had we gone 6-6

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT