ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Houston

You guys blaming the refs need serious help. Like completely deranged.

We were up by 8 points with around 5 minutes to go. We proceeded to...

Missed Dunk- 3 pointer Houston
Gave up offensive rebound- 3 pointer Houston
Missed bunny layup
Gave up offensive rebound- 3 point play Houston
Rutgers Turnover

Literally zero to do with the refs. Zero. Stop looking for excuses. They ****ing choked.

come on man. If you couldn’t see the friendly whistles for UH down the stretch I don’t know what game you were watching. 16 fouls shots to 0 2nd half? Still Not the reason they lost. I put that on Pike and his stall ball and the fact that UH dominated the offensive glass final 5 mins.

Myles has bad hands. No dexterity. No coordination. Nothing to do with his ankle. But he far outplayed his ability with a few buckets in the same game so you can’t blame him. Had a good game by his standards.

15- 2 Paul on the bench the best ball handler . and sure enough we turn it over.
And one of these getting After the ball and could rebound. Guess he got his point quota so he needed to come out.
Dontveven know if Pikiell pays any attention to what's going on in the game. He just sticks to whatever preplan he has.

ZERO FOUL SHOTS in the second half.
On the other end, nearly every challenged shot was FTs for them.
Can’t like this enough. Say what you want but it’s not like we settled for jumpers all half. Utterly ridiculous that a pressure d team has five fouls in a half . Did we choke . Yes but free points at the line win and lose games

This is gonna sting for awhile. The bracket was wide open if we won. I hate the iso at the end. Maybe this will be the slap in the face pike needs.

he’s coached this way since he’s been here. Kudos for what he has done here. It’s an incredible accomplishment. but we have no offense and he has never been even an average game coach

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Agree 100%. Pike didn't miss the alley oops and bunnies. Refs were bad too.
The players started showing signs of mental fatigue with around 5 minutes left. Poor shot selection, getting away from the type of play that got them as far as we got in the game. Myles was not strong on his put backs. And Geo and Young both had bad turnovers at the end. Plus we up 4 offensive rebounds in the final 4 minutes.

Nothing Pike could do and I’m not sure, now that I had time to think about it, that us eating the clock wasn’t the only smart choice since we were making tired mistakes. Didn’t work, but it might have been an even worse score at the end of he didn’t do it.

On the one hand, why do we ALWAYS have to be Rutgers. For real, this has to end at one point right?

On the other hand, the fact that we’re even watching basketball in March, and taking a 2-seed in the tournament to the wire, is incredible.

Have to feel for the players. Pike has to be asked what the f*** he was thinking
One NCAA victory in 38 years, no BCS bowls, no conference titles in any sport ... sure does feel like it ... but we have had 2 wrestling champions so those super special athletes can get it done at RU (not impossible) ... didn’t think RU was gonna dance this year and was great to see RU get a win to end the drought ... time to support the other sports ... Gymnastics took 5th in B1G, baseball improving, lacrosse 2nd best team in B1G, WSoccer playing 8 freshman and off to a great start ... FH, Crew, WBB and W Lacrosse ranked ... seeing progress.

I'm over it, back to reality for us.

Pikes not going to get it done here. We really should poach pitino. Else this is the ceiling.

The players started showing signs of mental fatigue with around 5 minutes left. Poor shot selection, getting away from the type of play that got them as far as we got in the game. Myles was not strong on his put backs. And Geo and Young both had bad turnovers at the end. Plus we up 4 offensive rebounds in the final 4 minutes.

Nothing Pike could do and I’m not sure, now that I had time to think about it, that us eating the clock wasn’t the only smart choice since we were making tired mistakes. Didn’t work, but it might have been an even worse score at the end of he didn’t do it.

He did this against Minnesota with the lead and we pulled it out. He did it Friday with the lead and we pulled it out. It didn’t work this time. Terrible strategy

Reactions: jtung230
You guys blaming the refs need serious help. Like completely deranged.

We were up by 8 points with around 5 minutes to go. We proceeded to...

Missed Dunk- 3 pointer Houston
Missed bunny layup
Gave up offensive rebound- 3 point play Houston
Rutgers Turnover

Literally zero to do with the refs. Zero. Stop looking for excuses. They ****ing choked.
Thank you for the facts. Nailed it.

Houston got what is seemed like an offensive rebound on the final 10 possessions of the game..... you want pikiell to suit up?

couldn’t get a ****ing rebound.
Call a time out, rip some ass, rip some ref ass, get their heads together, calm them down, run a set play to get someone free, make adjustments, be a coach to help the players get across the goal line, get the ball in JY’s hand to make a play rather than Geo who is half a step slower than last year. I stand by my comments. Pike did not utilize the talent of the players to the fullest, all season, plain and simple - although he deserves credit for recruiting them.

Reactions: Turtle31
Were you guys watching the same game I was. We stopped playing relying on a one and done prayer shots. Pike lost the game with stupid play calling just plain stupid
No he didn't. I watched the entire game. Myles missed two easy dunks and that became an 8 point swing. Then Caleb who is NOT a good three point shooter decided to be a hero and shoot it and it barely hit the rim. Those key plays cost us big time. That's not on Pike. That's on the players.

Reactions: Block R

Would maybe have liked to see Harper go inside more vs. stall ball iso game in the last 4-5 minutes, needed to try some motion on offense. But it was all the other easy misses, t/o's and absolutely one-sided officiating that cost us this game.

A lot of blame to go around but I can't get that missed dunk by Myles on the ally oop...he then missed another lay in after that

No he didn't. I watched the entire game. Myles missed two easy dunks and that became an 8 point swing. Then Caleb who is NOT a good three point shooter decided to be a hero and shoot it and it barely hit the rim. Those key plays cost us big time. That's not on Pike. That's on the players.
Caleb has the worst 3 point shot I've ever seen. Would rather have Myles shoot them. Wtf was he thinking.

Reactions: RU MAN
Myles needed to make the dunk and get rebound off missed foul shot.
We had several players who were playing like they smeared butter all over their hands, Paul too at the end let a loose ball go through their fingers.

what are you talking about. Pikiell coached his best game of the year.

Geo couldn’t do a think right the last 4 minutes. Grimes missed two fouls and the ball went right through his hands to grimes for a score. We couldn’t get a rebound for the life of us in last to 4 minutes.
The last 5 minutes was horrendous coaching

WRONG!! missed shots happen bad fundamental coaching should not happen and that was awful fundamental coaching the last 3 minutes

The last time I checked the game is 40 minutes not 37

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT