ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Houston

The last quarter of the game Houston played with a ferocious abandon while we were standing around more passively hoping to coast with the momentum that had taken us to that point. they did stupid things as well but they seem to be more energetic and getting the ball back and some of it just appeared to be bouncing their way and I'm not one to blame the refs either but there was clearly something not quite right.

Reactions: bac2therac
WRONG!! missed shots happen bad fundamental coaching should not happen and that was awful fundamental coaching the last 3 minutes

The last time I checked the game is 40 minutes not 37
Really. Bad fundamentals on missed dunks???? Yeah, you played the game. NOT!

Scary to think that after tomorrow the B1G may have no teams in the sweet sixteen ... don’t see Michigan losing, but don’t see Iowa or Maryland winning.

You had a guy with one hip. Make whoever he us covering beat him with the ball and have a cutter to the basket for backup when someone else picks that player up after jerraue was beat off the dribble

After 30 years of no tourney and going to this one winning the first round makes me keep from looking for someone or a few to blame.
I'll just say the pressure to win bore down on the team and they did their best.
But towards the end they tried to play in a way that wasn't best for the type of teamwork that
made them winners and in the end , individual players trying to hard to do it on their own cost the team more than helped..

You had a guy with one hip. Make whoever he us covering beat him with the ball and have a cutter to the basket for backup when someone else picks that player up after jerraue was beat off the dribble
That what a coach instructs ...

Call a time out, rip some ass, rip some ref ass, get their heads together, calm them down, run a set play to get someone free, make adjustments, be a coach to help the players get across the goal line, get the ball in JY’s hand to make a play rather than Geo who is half a step slower than last year. I stand by my comments. Pike did not utilize the talent of the players to the fullest, all season, plain and simple - although he deserves credit for recruiting them.
Many likes for you. That's his job. It was a group fail but he's up front in the effort. He showed he wasnt ready for prime time either but then again this is his style.
Ill reserve additional comments with the exception of you don't get that close and in total control and blow it like that. Feels like having your best meal ever then puking it up walking into the house.

Reactions: jrm75
Stop with that crap, I'm not going to ride people for being emotional lunatics during a game.
That’s fine if you don’t want to ride people for being emotional lunatics. Your opinion. I do want to ride people for all the venomous crap they spew. My opinion.

I'm so frustrated and angry that a sure win got away....but they otherwise played a really solid game and they 100% played hard and played well

Oh dont anyone ever say the B1G is the best conference because it actually is not good. It is like the football conference beating each other up physically old school hoops.....everyone else plays 2020's basketball I knew this was going to happen

Huhhhhhhhhh are you kidding me

If your argument is going to be "obviously it was bad strategy because it didn't work this one time" you should probably be banned from the forums just so you don't electrocute yourself trying to access them. It's for your own good.

That’s fine if you don’t want to ride people for being emotional lunatics. Your opinion. I do want to ride people for all the venomous crap they spew. My opinion.
Well in this day and age anything could qualify as venomous crap, however I didn't see it myself except for here and there.

On the one hand, why do we ALWAYS have to be Rutgers. For real, this has to end at one point right?

On the other hand, the fact that we’re even watching basketball in March, and taking a 2-seed in the tournament to the wire, is incredible.

Have to feel for the players. Pike has to be asked what the f*** he was thinking
As if we dont already know what he'll say. We had a good look. We thought we had a good setup there. We had a good look. We wanted to use clock and then shoot. And we thought we had a good look. Give credit to Houston. Their coach is great. We had a good look.

If your argument is going to be "obviously it was bad strategy because it didn't work this one time" you should probably be banned from the forums just so you don't electrocute yourself trying to access them. It's for your own good.
It wasnt bad strategy it was bad COACHING. Just in case you were not watching the game we were playing against 4-1/2 players and we STOPPED playing offense. Do you think that played into their hands. Oh also if that doesnt wet your whistle 2 of their guys besides had 4 fous and we STOPPED playing

Last edited:
I just can’t believe so many people wanted to give houston more possessions in this game.

You can scream they stalled all you want but if it led to decent shots then it doesn’t matter.

even if you concede that stalling was bad it still did mot lose the game. Rebounding and layupa

I just can’t believe so many people wanted to give houston more possessions in this game.

You can scream they stalled all you want but if they led to a d
It’s basketball. You can’t run out the clock with that much time left.

You can scream they stalled all you want but if they led to a d
I do believe that when you got a team playing well you keep it going, have trust in them in finishing the job by playing well in what was working, but that's me and everyone coaches differently.

Reactions: RUDead
Houston thrives in a fast paced game.
A team trying to slow down the pace is the usual strategy for those programs that might not be best in a fast paced game.
That didn't work today for Rutgers, but you will see that type of strategy used in this tourney again when a team with a good D, but their O a little suspect at times, gets a lead and tries to keep it against a program that's known for its fast paced Offense.

I'll give all the benefit of doubt and just say the # 6th ranked ( AP & Coaches) Houston MBB program didn't have a 25-3 record going into this game by not being able to overcome being by a large deficit and has the type of O that's capable of turning the game around quickly..

A team trying to slow down the pace is the usual strategy for those programs that might not be best in a fast paced game.
That didn't work today for Rutgers, but you will see that type of strategy used in this tourney again when a team with a good D, but their O a little suspect at times, gets a lead and tries to keep it against a program that's known for its fast paced Offense.

I'll give all the benefit of doubt and just say the # 6th ranked ( AP & Coaches) Houston MBB program didn't have a 25-3 record going into this game by not being able to overcome being by a large deficit and has the type of O that's capable of turning the game around quickly..
It's the NCAA TOURNAMENT you play balls out, leave it all on the floor with the best you've got.....you dont stop playing. Houston did we didnt with a half a player

It’s basketball. You can’t run out the clock with that much time left.

there was 3 minutes left. Would you be happy if we took quick shots and missed and gave houston more possessions? Just because we do mot stall doesn’t mean we make all of our shots. You still have to assume we miss a couple.

I do believe that when you got a team playing well you keep it going, have trust in them in finishing the job by playing well in what was working, but that's me and everyone coaches differently.

But we weren’t playing well. We were missing ally opp dunks and throwing the ball of peoples feet.

there was 3 minutes left. Would you be happy if we took quick shots and missed and gave houston more possessions? Just because we do mot stall doesn’t mean we make all of our shots. You still have to assume we miss a couple.

But we weren’t playing well. We were missing ally opp dunks and throwing the ball of peoples feet.
I think there was more time left than three minutes when we went into the stall.

I'm on the pro-stall side, but Houston is ranked 323rd in tempo.

Not quick shots, but good shots. Stalling forced us into bad shots.

Not quick shots, but good shots. Stalling forced us into bad shots.
Exactly. Ok to not take quick shots and risk them running up court to have more chances with the way they were winning the boards, but geez we needed to try some cuts to the hoop with Harper, JY, even try Tez, something with motion.

Stop w this crap
Right.. because calling out obvious problems with refs is such bad form. The second-half officiating on offense was atrocious. They missed calls on out-of-bounds, obvious fouls.. while giving Houston many free throws.. it was disgusting.

Anyone who has a problem with stating the obvious really needs to think about how THEY look.

Right.. because calling out obvious problems with refs is such bad form. The second-half officiating on offense was atrocious. They missed calls on out-of-bounds, obvious fouls.. while giving Houston many free throws.. it was disgusting.

Anyone who has a problem with stating the obvious really needs to think about how THEY look.
What's obvious, when it comes to officiating, is (a) that officials always make some mistakes in every game, (b) that most officiating involves judgement calls and those pulling for one side or the other will always view those judgement calls with a biased perspective.

I would've liked to have seen more foul calls against Houston at time where it seemed they were banging bodies when we were shooting. And it seemed that there were a few foul calls against RU for minor contact that they seemed to let go on the other end of the court. But I also understand that my perception of all that is heavily biased towards seeing things RU's way. As is yours and every other RU fans.

Even with my RU bias, I could see that RU was fouling way too much towards the end of the game at a time when tight but non-fouling D was called for. Our players, except maybe Young, were looking pretty tired the final 5 minutes or so, and it was obvious that body control was suffering a bit (e.g. McConnell's 5th foul which looked entirely fatigue-based).

If Houston was fouling at the end, it was mostly in tough-to-call situations where multiple bodies were banging under the basket. Conversely, we were fouling in 1 v 1 situations where it's a lot easier to judge who initiated contact (like the aforementioned McConnell foul). Were mistakes made? Always. But in the first half and early part of the second half, when we were fresh, we were able to play tight D without nearly so many easy to call 1 v 1 fouls.

All that aside, complaining about officiating is like complaining about the weather. A common thing to do, but entirely pointless.

All that aside, complaining about officiating is like complaining about the weather. A common thing to do, but entirely pointless.
Sure.. whatever.

When refs make mistakes. that's one thing. But when for an entire half they fail to notice one team baning out shooters in the lane.. that defies the laws of PROBABILITY...

Now.. it could be the case it was one bad-apple ref.. I don't know. It certainly seemed like one ref made the bulk of the calls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT