ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Minnesota

I love JY, we will need him. He did hit two big 3s.

Paul makes Myles better. Gets him the ball in such great position.

Not knocking JY at all. He's a key player for this team, and when he's in control we're a much better team than when he's not. And the offense he brings usually makes up for the turnovers. Unfortunately, tonight just wasn't his night.

What I AM knocking is RUSojo's nonsensical mantra of pointing to PM's high TOV% as somehow meaning he doesn't take care of the ball. That's just a complete misunderstanding of what that metric means.

Was an interesting contrast listening to the game on the radio and following the game thread.

Comments on this board made it seem like team was playing like crap/ down by 20 but commentators on radio talking about how the game (particularly 2nd half) was well played by both teams, both teams hustling their asses off, playing tough d.

they also thought the double teaming of carr was a great strategy that was key to Rutgers pulling away at end .... not “asinine” as stated here

I was legitimately confused by the difference .

watching replay now. The commentators were right.

A lot of fans on here forget that there’s another team on the court. Minnesota is a good team. Right next to RU in standings and weren’t they recently ranked? And they were playing hard.

Last edited:
Was an interesting contrast listening to the game on the radio and following the game thread.

Comments on this board made it seem like team was playing like crap/ down by 20 but commentators on radio talking about how the game (particularly 2nd half) was well played by both teams, both teams hustling their asses off, playing tough d.

they also thought the double teaming of carr was a great strategy that was key to Rutgers pulling away at end .... not “asinine” as stated here

I was legitimately confused by the difference .

watching replay now. The commentators were right.

A lot of fans on here forget that there’s another team on the court. Minnesota is a good team. Right next to RU in standings and weren’t they recently ranked? And they were playing hard.

That is quite a contrast in sources and thus the disparity in views. The guys on the radio are never going to make comments along the lines of what you read in the game thread even if they thought the team was playing like crap. Having said that many in this thread (myself included at times) overreact to individual possessions and kill the kid or coaching staff unnecessarily. Its the nature of the beast. I sometimes feel unclean afterwards and thus normally try to limit my participation. Also think that at least for me it can take away from the actual game watching experience.

Reactions: bac2therac
That is quite a contrast in sources and thus the disparity in views. The guys on the radio are never going to make comments along the lines of what you read in the game thread even if they thought the team was playing like crap.

you’re right - they aren’t going to attack individual players like people do here

but they do comment on: teams getting out hustled, teams playing sloppy on offense/ not executing, etc.

they weren’t saying any of that.

They did comment on the # of long offensive rebounds by Minny but didn’t specify whether it was lucky bounces or lack of effort by RU

Last edited:
Cut Geo a fat check
You people need to stop on this issue. NIL is not a cut of the profits. Bohannon had multiple podcasts last summer on NCAA exploitation, in which IIRC he swore a lot. No one talking about those podcasts, wonder why media went after a couple of lines in an online discussion? And also much wrong information about Geo's background and motives. His mother works in K12 science education, lives in a small condo. Had cancer when Geo was in high school and had tens of thousands in medical bills. Geo helped out by working, including using his good reputation to sell products. Had to stop when he went to Rutgers. And speaking of MIT, if you told grad students who get full stipend and free grad degree that they can't start their own business you would get laughed out of the room. Why diffetent for athletes? It is true that a part of them is owned by someone else.

Just to follow on how bad a metric TOV% is when talking about how well a player takes care of the ball.

Stat lines for this game:
PM: 32 min, 1-3 FG, 1-2 FT, 4 ast, 3 tov
JY: 18 min, 3-8 FG, 2-2 FT, 0 ast, 6 tov

PM's TOV% was 43.6%.... while JY's was just 40.3%.

PM had 3 turnovers in 32 min, while JY had 6 turnovers in just 18 min.... but JY still came out with the better TOV%.

Crickets from @RUsojo

Reactions: RUChoppin
lol I’ve been telling you guys this all year you obviously don’t understand the metric

TOV% is a ratio of turnovers to shot attempts. It has nothing to do with time on the floor or time on the ball. It has very little to do with protecting the ball, but instead with getting up more shots (not making them, mind you, just getting them up).

Take two people with the same exact number of turnovers, minutes, points and made baskets.... the one who got up twice as many shots will have half the TOV%.

It's a metric you can literally improve by hucking up garbage at the rim all game.

Using it to knock PM has nothing to do with his turnovers, but that he takes fewer shots per 40 than any the other player in the rotation.

But I doubt you are using it to say he doesn't take enough shots.

Ironically (and unfortunately) JY's shots haven't even been able to keep up with the turnovers, and he now leads the team in that metric in conference play. So you'll have to find some other obscure and misapplied metric to bash PM, I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: RUonBrain
TOV% is a ratio of turnovers to shot attempts. It has nothing to do with time on the floor or time on the ball. It has very little to do with protecting the ball, but instead with getting up more shots (not making them, mind you, just getting them up).

Take two people with the same exact number of turnovers, minutes, points and made baskets.... the one who got up twice as many shots will have half the TOV%.

It's a metric you can literally improve by hucking up garbage at the rim all game.

Using it to knock PM has nothing to do with his turnovers, but that he takes fewer shots per 40 than any the other player in the rotation.

Ironically (and unfortunately) JY's shots haven't even been able to keep up with the turnovers, and he now leads the team in that metric in conference play. So you'll have to find some other obscure and misapplied metric to bash PM, I guess

More crickets from @RUsojo

More crickets from @RUsojo

going into the game they have the same effective FG% so it makes perfect sense as a relatable metric I don’t know what you’re talking about

@RUsojo So, your constant harping on TOV% was that you didn't want PM to go into the game because he doesn't shoot the ball enough?

Wouldn't that be easier to get across by saying something like "he's got the lowest FGA/40 of anyone in the rotation?"

@RUsojo So, your constant harping on TOV% was that you didn't want PM to go into the game because he doesn't shoot the ball enough?

Wouldn't that be easier to get across by saying something like "he's got the lowest FGA/40 of anyone in the rotation?"

Ive made both points. And they are related.

They're not related, they're the same point. There's a direct way to make that point (FGA/game, FGA/40), and an muddled, indirect way by using another metric that has FGA as the denominator (TOV%).

Right now, PM is very selective with his shots, and has been more focused on drawing the defense in to set up teammates. He's been hitting just enough to keep the defenses honest. Wish he would take more, but I think that will come in time - he wasn't shy about scoring in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT