ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Minnesota

Another step for the program, win when you play bad . We still need to figure out some stuff .
1.Jy needs to cut down his turnovers and keep his head up and find teammates once in awhile .
2. We need to figure out how to get Ron going because right now it’s smoke and mirrors without him scoring and hitting 3s.

At the end of the day the substitutions worked. He rode his starters over last 6 minutes of game without a break. It is annoying at times but it worked. It also doesn’t help when Jacob plays the worst game of the season. He needs and will play better. Today was not his night.

I just looked at the stats. Didn’t realize we shot 40% from 3 and outrebounded them.

Bets overall shooting night if they year don’t know if I should be thrilled or concerned based on results!

Big win regardless

So I’m eating crow. But we did not play our best and Pike is lucky that his inane substitutions and questionable double teams didn’t hurt us in the end

I was most bothered by the substitutions in the first half. There was no reason to pull the starters when we were up 7-0. None. He’s done that in the past 3 games and it helped the opponent find their offensive rhythm each time.

Poor rebounding almost cost us the game. Team lacking a bona fide 4 reared its head tonight. Yet, we overcame. 😰

All this switching keeps happening. Let JY in, he always gets through screens. Carr is just breaking us down. JY isnt getting in but god damn idk what the benefit of caleb over JY is. Caleb gonna guard carr? Come on
LMAO #oldtakesexposed

• Haha
Reactions: RUDead
Felt a L coming after the bad close to the half and Minny beating RU off the dribble a lot

But I'm really impressed on how they dug on defense to close the game out.

Geo and Caleb with clutch shots.

Myles is key, team is so much better with him on the court.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Our sixth man can’t turn the ball over and play so out of control. Coach and staff need to work on JY big time to finish this season playing smarter.

Why!? Paul leads the team with the worst turnover percentage!

You keep using this stat as though it means he turns the ball over more than JY does. It doesn't mean that. It means he shoots the ball much less than JY does vs. his number of turnovers.

TOV% is calculated based on turnovers, FG attempts, and FT attempts. The formula is TOV% = (TOV ÷ (FGA + (0.44 x FTA) + TOV)) x 100%. If Paul shot the ball more (didn't make more shots, but simply took more attempts), his TOV% would go down.

Coming into the game, JY turned the ball over 4.0 times per 40 min played, while PM turned it over about half as often at 2.1 tov/40 min. In 485 min played, JY had turned the ball over 49 times.... while in 463 min played, PM had turned the ball over just 24 times. THAT's why people feel JY turns the ball over more often than PM.... because he actually turns the ball over more often. He just takes a lot more shots than PM does, so his TOV% is lower.

PM takes care of the ball better, while JY is more productive offensively - and the offensive production is what brings down JY's TOV%.

Then throw in assists.... coming into tonight's game, JY had a 1.24 ast/tov ratio, while PM had a 2.21 ast/tov ratio.

I love JY - I agree with a poster earlier who said that he's part of the heart and soul of this team. He wears his passion on his sleeve, he leaves it all on the floor, and he bleeds scarlet. But he also plays out of control at times, and you take the bad with the good. On a night like to tonight, he was out of control and rightfully saw fewer minutes.

Just to follow on how bad a metric TOV% is when talking about how well a player takes care of the ball.

Stat lines for this game:
PM: 32 min, 1-3 FG, 1-2 FT, 4 ast, 3 tov
JY: 18 min, 3-8 FG, 2-2 FT, 0 ast, 6 tov

PM's TOV% was 43.6%.... while JY's was just 40.3%.

PM had 3 turnovers in 32 min, while JY had 6 turnovers in just 18 min.... but JY still came out with the better TOV%.

Last edited:
You keep using this stat as though it means he turns the ball over more than JY does. It doesn't mean that. It means he shoots the ball much less than JY does vs. his number of turnovers.

TOV% is calculated based on turnovers, FG attempts, and FT attempts. The formula is TOV% = (TOV ÷ (FGA + (0.44 x FTA) + TOV)) x 100%. If Paul shot the ball more (didn't make more shots, but simply took more attempts), his TOV% would go down.

Coming into the game, JY turned the ball over 4.0 times per 40 min played, while PM turned it over about half as often at 2.1 tov/40 min. In 485 min played, JY had turned the ball over 49 times.... while in 463 min played, PM had turned the ball over just 24 times. THAT's why people feel JY turns the ball over more often than PM.... because he actually turns the ball over more often. He just takes a lot more shots than PM does, so his TOV% is lower.

PM takes care of the ball better, while JY is more productive offensively - and the offensive production is what brings down JY's TOV%.

Then throw in assists.... coming into tonight's game, JY had a 1.24 ast/tov ratio, while PM had a 2.21 ast/tov ratio.

I love JY - I agree with a poster earlier who said that he's part of the heart and soul of this team. He wears his passion on his sleeve, he leaves it all on the floor, and he bleeds scarlet. But he also plays out of control at times, and you take the bad with the good. On a night like to tonight, he was out of control and rightfully saw fewer minutes.
I love JY, we will need him. He did hit two big 3s.

Paul makes Myles better. Gets him the ball in such great position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT