ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. No. 3 Michigan

You would think being +8 on turnovers and holding Mich. to 1 FG in an 8 minute stretch that we would be nip and tuck with them all game. Unfortunately, being -12 on rebounds and being out scored by 14 on second chance shots more than made up the difference. Also, making only 3 threes (2 in the last minute) will not allow us to be successful against the top half of the conference.

This.
And when our 2 of our best offensive players shot a combined 6 for 22 from the floor you knew we have no chance of winning.

You would think being +8 on turnovers and holding Mich. to 1 FG in an 8 minute stretch that we would be nip and tuck with them all game. Unfortunately, being -12 on rebounds and being out scored by 14 on second chance shots more than made up the difference. Also, making only 3 threes (2 in the last minute) will not allow us to be successful against the top half of the conference.
Not shooting well-enough and losing the rebounding battle is a sure prescription for losing.

Young and Ron. Paul but he refuses to actually try and score the basketball. Mathis as well would be better than McConnell.

Just look at the beginning of the year - does this look like a team that could go for 91 against Illinois? 80+ vs Purdue? It’s doesn’t. And it won’t until we get the guys on this team who can create offensively more minutes and more minutes with the rest of the top of the rotation.
There are certain players on this team that ignore Paul when he is wide open waving his hands.

There are certain players on this team that ignore Paul when he is wide open waving his hands.

Paul averages 28 minutes per game in conference and takes just over 2 shots. The problem with Paul not scoring is not his teammates.

Michigan fan here, my takeaway from the game yesterday is that given a 64-team tournament, Rutgers definitely has the potential to be a darkhorse. To me they looked like a legitimate sweet 16 team and definitely the most aggressive defense Michigan has played so far.

It looks like you had a 5 game lull after having to play osu and illinois out of the gate but have gotten back on track. Even though they're having a down season beating msu by 30 points is still very impressive. Wins against Illinois purdue indiana and minnesota bodes well for rutgers when it comes to tournament seeding.

Just from the eye test i'd say Rutgers is more like a 5 seed. Their defense will smother teams from less competitive conferences.

Michigan fan here, my takeaway from the game yesterday is that given a 64-team tournament, Rutgers definitely has the potential to be a darkhorse. To me they looked like a legitimate sweet 16 team and definitely the most aggressive defense Michigan has played so far.

It looks like you had a 5 game lull after having to play osu and illinois out of the gate but have gotten back on track. Even though they're having a down season beating msu by 30 points is still very impressive. Wins against Illinois purdue indiana and minnesota bodes well for rutgers when it comes to tournament seeding.

Just from the eye test i'd say Rutgers is more like a 5 seed. Their defense will smother teams from less competitive conferences.

Thank you for the kind words and i agree. however most rutgers fans would rather fire coaches and complain about the players.... very jaded.

Reactions: mugrat86
Take McConnell and his .359 efg% playing with the top of the rotation.

ok let’s look what Mathis did when he started against “inferior teams” during losing streak

Wisconsin
1-6 Fg
0-2 Ft
8 rebounds (good)
0 assists
3 fouls

Psu
3-12 fg
0-3 ft
4 rebounds
2 assists
3 fouls