ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. No. 3 Michigan

you know nothing about basketball. His defense and rebounding have been great. It’s not a coincidence that the winning started when they put Caleb in starting lineup

The coincidence is the quality of opponents. We don’t score we don’t win it’s that simple.

7 point loss on the road is decent optics for the selection committee...Wagner just hit some big shots and RU just shot really poorly...Michigan was extremely disappointed with how the fouls were called tonight...this could be a big problem for them in the NCAA tourney and ripe for an upset...RU should grow from this game...

I think we actually played a good game. Shots just didn’t fall for us..a lot just rimmed out.

I loved our defensive effort and UM just shot lights out. Again think we looked good and if we play like that we win the rest of our games.

Michigan like MSU ... felt like we were getting closer even tho always had our number .. then finally this year we win, by 30. I think we get UM next year
Pike gave this game away with unreal lineups - JY it was obvious needed to play and yet he rode the bench until late. Refusal to pull Mathis. Pull Geo once he got hot. Save Myles like he has a sprained ankle. I don’t know anymore

Reactions: Antnee79
8 of 26 from geo and Caleb smfh Pike gives these two the longest leash I’ve ever seen it’s bull sh*t to be honest and why our offense us dropped off significantly as the year has gone on

Who you playing instead?

haha we could have stolen this one if we even had a pulse from 3
We really didn't even need the 3s. Make layups in the first half and it's a different game. It's a consistent flaw so it is what it is. Michigan struggled against our defense at times which says something but as a bad shooting team, we can't miss so many layups.

Reactions: Salvi's Headband
Who do you think should be getting out points? Ron(1-23) ? Paul? Mathis? Young?

Young and Ron. Paul but he refuses to actually try and score the basketball. Mathis as well would be better than McConnell.

Just look at the beginning of the year - does this look like a team that could go for 91 against Illinois? 80+ vs Purdue? It’s doesn’t. And it won’t until we get the guys on this team who can create offensively more minutes and more minutes with the rest of the top of the rotation.

One interesting statistic was that Michigan only had one more offensive rebound, but outscored RU 18-5 in second chance points. This is a pattern we have seen before.

Young deserves to start. He should be starting over PM right now. He brings a completely different element to this team.

I also think it would break up the trio of Cliff Mathis and JY where we usually go quiet on offense.

I also think Pike needs to look at Jones or Mag to mix in over the next 4 games and see if they bring anything ahead of NCAAs

Jones? The kid who just got on the team a few weeks ago? That would be a really bad sign if he's already jumped everyone else.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Who do you think should be getting out points? Ron(1-23) ? Paul? Mathis? Young?
MJ a CO. They are posting give them the ball at least you will start dragging your defenders down lower. Instead of trying to create shots for yourself try creating shots for your big men.

Reactions: Caliknight
and you want Mathis in more?

Mathis has higher efg% than mconnell even though McConnell has played the majority of his minutes with the top of the rotation. Mathis half and half and slumping with less minutes and bottom of rotation.

The game was really never in doubt after first 15 minutes yet there were a lot of positives today. Defensively stepped up later on. Michigan had 2 or 3 opportunities to get this game plus 20 but we didn’t break. Myles played well, Cliff played well, Jacob was better.

For the life of us we could not hot shots. We missed layups, 3s, mid range you name it we missed. You are not going to beat the #3 team in the country doing that.

I just can’t believe people know how good Michigan is and then act like this was not expected.

7 point loss on the road is decent optics for the selection committee...Wagner just hit some big shots and RU just shot really poorly...Michigan was extremely disappointed with how the fouls were called tonight...this could be a big problem for them in the NCAA tourney and ripe for an upset...RU should grow from this game...
Honestly I am shocked we kept it within single digits. In fact if our shooting was just a little better this game could have been won by RU.

Reactions: colbert17
Young and Ron. Paul but he refuses to actually try and score the basketball. Mathis as well would be better than McConnell.

Just look at the beginning of the year - does this look like a team that could go for 91 against Illinois? 80+ vs Purdue? It’s doesn’t. And it won’t until we get the guys on this team who can create offensively more minutes and more minutes with the rest of the top of the rotation.

nope I will take Caleb every single time over Mathis who is contributing zero at this time

and you want Mathis in more?

when Geo starts getting hot, Pike usually takes him out. CM just gets selfish on offense at times which costs us possessions. He needs to take the ball to the rim more and try to get fouled. He plays a bit soft and settles for Outside shots too often. his midrange game looks good though

nope I will take Caleb every single time over Mathis who is contributing zero at this time

right am I missing something. McConnell is a much better defender, passer, rebounder, free throw shooter and ability to create their own shot. Am I missing something or does Sojo know something we all do not

Ron and young? Ron again has been awful from 3 and was 3-10 tonight compared to geo’s 3-12. Geo also got blocked on the dunk and missed the layup driving hard to rim. There is no difference between those 2.

Young played well tonight but was 6-16 and 1-8 against NW. 4-10 2-5 agaa against Iowa and is mostly out of control.

Jones? The kid who just got on the team a few weeks ago? That would be a really bad sign if he's already jumped everyone else.

If he is that good, then why not? Blue chippers start at places like Kentucky as true freshman.

Did I just agree with you? That's like when Hulk Hogan went to the dark side. Maybe RUsojo has some skin in the game with Mathis.

Reactions: bac2therac
I just wish we could come down the floor one time eliminating that high ball screen which puts our biggest and best player 30 feet from the basket.
How about something semi-imaginative.
Pass to the wing and screen away.
Pass and cut
Pass and down screen for MJ.
We take so many 3's because the offense does nothing else.
It 's like banging your head against the wall

Last edited:
right am I missing something. McConnell is a much better defender, passer, rebounder, free throw shooter and ability to create their own shot. Am I missing something or does Sojo know something we all do not
No you’re not. He doesn’t understand the game.

The other thing Caleb knows how to do is defend without fouling. I will bet that Mathis leads the team in fouls per minute
Look I don’t want to pick on Tez. Let’s just say Caleb does a lot of things that don’t show up in the box score. I just wish Tez would learn to dish on his drives. He plays with great effort. He’s not an offensive dynamo but he can be really effective.

when Geo starts getting hot, Pike usually takes him out. CM just gets selfish on offense at times which costs us possessions. He needs to take the ball to the rim more and try to get fouled. He plays a bit soft and settles for Outside shots too often. his midrange game looks good though

Outside of Paul who can be too hesitant to shoot at times, Caleb is the least selfish player on the team and it’s not close. He’s a great passer and looked to pass whenever he can find a cutter or an open kick out. He takes a lot of shots because he, unlike guys like Tez, knows how to move without the ball to actually get open to receive the passes in our halfcourt rotations. If nobody else rotates to get open with the shot clock winding down he has to be the one to get a shot off. Tez, in direct contrast, is dreadful at moving without the ball in the set offense. This was less of an issue when RHJ couldn’t miss and teams were doubling him and leaving Tez open. Now that RHJ is putting up only 12 not 26 a night, he’s no longer double teamed and Tez is completely useless in the offensive schemes. There is no comparison of their play on either side of the ball.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
The other thing Caleb knows how to do is defend without fouling. I will bet that Mathis leads the team in fouls per minute

Mathis 9.89 minutes per foul

McConnell 11.2 minutes per foul

Myles 9.4 minutes per foul

Cliff 6.9 minutes per foul

Different breeds. I hate all my opponents. I wanna eat their children
You’re a fan watching on TV. Not a player whose killer attitude means something.

Part of being a grownup is knowing the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: RW90
No you’re not. He doesn’t understand the game.

I think he must’ve missed the first Michigan State game where Izzo put a blueprint on display for how to defend RU. That game was the end of RU’s elite Kempom offense. We had no adjustment plan because we were never really a great shooting team - we’re just not an inept as past years so stacking the box isn’t a good strategy now. The early teams scouted us wrong. Better to defend us tight on the perimeter 1-1 as we can’t buy a contested 3 to save our lives. For this reason Michigan is the worst possible match up for us in college basketball. They defend the perimeter one on one better than anyone without trading off interior defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT