ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Griffiths to Nebraska

I have both lied and been mad when lied to. Just like every human on earth. This isn't the gotcha you think it is.
If you can identify with having gone back on a word before. Then why be critical of someone else doing so

He will 1000% prove all the naysayers wrong. Mark my words. His role was just to stand in the corner or stand up top and hope one of our chucks pass it to him. His game is alot more than that...you could tell he was not happy. That is EXACTLY why after what 4 yrs that Palms game did not advance. Playmakers want to make plays not stand there and hope someone passes you the ball

I have no desire to waste energy rooting against Gavin except to debunk posts with nonsense like this suggesting that our coaching was why Gavin sucked so badly last season- worse than many other less heralded recruits we’ve brought in through the years. Ridiculous. Plenty of frosh struggle. Even ones with 4 star recruiting labels. It happened to Gavin. Maybe he does better next year. Maybe not.

Cam Spencer shot the ball fine at RU. Geo came in with far a worse recruiting than Gavin and outperformed. JY shot the ball better at RU than at Oregon or Texas. Ron, Yeboah, etc. all these guys shot better than Gavin while at Rutgers within our offense.

If you can identify with having gone back on a word before. Then why be critical of someone else doing so
He's gonna get heckled. You make it sound like we're going to physically assault him or something. It's sports. This is what happens. He'll be fine, I promise.

We were forced to sit through a year of his weak-ass play for nothing. A year that apparently he takes no responsibility for -- transferring because he's not happy with his role, as if Pike was unfair to him or something. Gtfoh.

He's gonna get heckled. You make it sound like we're going to physically assault him or something. It's sports. This is what happens. He'll be fine, I promise.

We were forced to sit through a year of his weak-ass play for nothing. A year that apparently he takes no responsibility for -- transferring because he's not happy with his role, as if Pike was unfair to him or something. Gtfoh.
Facts! lol. People real touchy/judgy about booing. Don’t take it so seriously or personally everybody,

I was wondering if anybody remembers how Gavin did last year in those all-star games that Dylan and Ace seem to be killing it in

He will 1000% prove all the naysayers wrong. Mark my words. His role was just to stand in the corner or stand up top and hope one of our chucks pass it to him. His game is alot more than that...you could tell he was not happy. That is EXACTLY why after what 4 yrs that Palms game did not advance. Playmakers want to make plays not stand there and hope someone passes you the ball

So you’re saying that Oscar, Oscar Palmquist, was a “playmaker” whose offensive game was unfairly held back by Coach Pike.

That Pike didn’t let the dynamic offensive “playmaker”, Oscar, showcase his offensive repertoire and instead made him stand in the corner

And like the offensive-dynamo-in-waiting Oscar, Pike similarly made Gavin just stand there

Um, ok.

I actually don’t totally disagree that Gavin may end up a really good player

But (1) I think blaming Pike is waaaaay off base. Way off base. Yeah it seemed he wasn’t happy but anyone with a pair of eyes could also see: (2) he was a friggin deer in the headlights for most of the season; and (3) the latter part of the season Pike gave him an ABSOLUTE GREEN LIGHT !!! and he didn’t exactly dazzle.

Lastly gotta say - you bringing Oscar into this conversation is nothing short of bizarre. You HONESTLY think Oscar was a “playmaker” whose offensive game was held back by Pike?!?! I mean if that’s your thinking then I TRULY have heard everything on this board

Last edited:
Seemed like a lot of posters didn’t want him to play much anyway. But now they feel jilted ?
Both can be true. He was really bad but there's potential and you'd rather not have the work that the staff did to recruit and coach him go to waste. Now another team (potentially) gets the benefit of an improved Griffiths without the cost of suffering through a bad freshman year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
I think you summed it up well.

Why are a bunch of grown ass men acting like they’re jilted lovers over this? Get some perspective. Jeez.

Are you new to being around sports fans? It's an entertainment outlet and emotions come into play. As long as no one is getting physically hurt, nothing wrong with that.

Also, not pointed at you but find it curious that some fans would rather bash Pike and our own players than boo Gavin.

For #1 - sometimes it’s best not to say anything. Obviously he was really young, never thought he would transfer and things can quickly change - but I’ve seen that quote plastered all over Twitter so it’s definitely fueling the fanbase against him.

For #2 - good point but unfortunately people will just assume Gavin felt the same. A lot of posters will probably forget about this by next year but it’s added some more fuel imo.

Most of my boo’ing / heckling is for terrible officiating but I’m more open to shifting this energy towards opposing teams / players mostly because college sports (especially football and basketball) is essentially semi professional sports now.
and #2 wasn't just some person..it was widely believed to have been his father.

I have my concerns/issues with Pike BUT this one is not on him (not directed at you). Kid wanted to be the 2 guard and took his ball and left when he didn't get his way. Good for coach taking a stand there.

perfect time for our former football players company to revive their googles handout promo for when he returns...
shopping.webp

Reactions: dconifer
Are you new to being around sports fans? It's an entertainment outlet and emotions come into play. As long as no one is getting physically hurt, nothing wrong with that.

Also, not pointed at you but find it curious that some fans would rather bash Pike and our own players than boo Gavin.
No, you just have to sit on your hands all game and not make any noise, lest you make opposing players uncomfortable. Otherwise, you're not an adult. lol

No, you just have to sit on your hands all game and not make any noise, lest you make opposing players uncomfortable. Otherwise, you're not an adult. lol
I was just going to go with a "HE'S JUST A KID, MAN!" in all caps followed by a 🙄.

But yours is just as good.😝

and #2 wasn't just some person..it was widely believed to have been his father.

I have my concerns/issues with Pike BUT this one is not on him (not directed at you). Kid wanted to be the 2 guard and took his ball and left when he didn't get his way. Good for coach taking a stand there.
#2 is still on the board, Kn0wledge. Not sure if it was his father as he is still around, but his first post was regarding Gavin going to the portal prior to him going into the portal.

#2 is still on the board, Kn0wledge. Not sure if it was his father as he is still around, but his first post was regarding Gavin going to the portal prior to him going into the portal.
This board draws bizarre conclusions without any evidence: the guy is GG’s dad, Schiano was the only candidate who’d take the job, Shelby is a PSU fan & Paterno apologist, Shelby is a Cuse fan when he’s not a PSU fan…

This board draws bizarre conclusions without any evidence: the guy is GG’s dad, Schiano was the only candidate who’d take the job, Shelby is a PSU fan & Paterno apologist, Shelby is a Cuse fan when he’s not a PSU fan…

Maybe if you didn’t come up with theories that were so “out there” people wouldn’t draw conclusions like this.

Reactions: dfr1966

I'm sure he will get heckled. Rutgers is the only fan base crying over a kid who avg 5 ppg. It just isn't necessary.

We were forced to sit through his weak ass play, because of other circumstances. Not Gavins fault. And he's transferring because he doesn't see Rutgers as the best situation for him. If you don't plan on booing the other guys who left, then Gavin should be allowed to move on in peace too

I'm sure he will get heckled. Rutgers is the only fan base crying over a kid who avg 5 ppg. It just isn't necessary.

We were forced to sit through his weak ass play, because of other circumstances. Not Gavins fault. And he's transferring because he doesn't see Rutgers as the best situation for him. If you don't plan on booing the other guys who left, then Gavin should be allowed to move on in peace too

It's more than just the 5 ppg and weak play. Fans (irrationally) form emotional attachments to players based on situational factors.....
  • Gavin came in with high expectations as Pike's highest ranked recruit at the time
  • He made an unsolicited grand proclamation that he would never transfer no matter how bad it was
  • He was given significant slack by the coach and for the most part he did not play well nor help RU win this season
  • Many (if not most) Rutgers Basketball fans here stuck with him and continued to hope his talent would prevail with an eye towards future development and maturity at RU.
  • He chose to transfer to a conference opponent
Other players transferring did not come in as highly touted nor did they transfer to conference opponents. Some also may have already been here multiple years and even graduated - so IMO its not comparable.

Let's say Mag transfers to SHU or to a conference opponent - is the fan reaction to cheer him on or boo him? The reaction will likely be visceral. Again it all depends on situation/factors.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Well that one is certainly news.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
To be fair, it should be: 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

Because his last post, making fun of your superfluous zeros, made perfect sense. And adding the non-zero at the end also makes your use of all the preceding zeros make sense too. 😉
Fair point

Reactions: mildone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT