Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
  • We won at least 7 Games for the first time since 2014
    • 11 rushes for 87 yards vs VT
    • 16 rushes for 143 yards vs Indiana
    • Made key throws to win MSU Game
    • had a 58.6% Completion Rate vs Northwestern
  • He had 11 rushing touchdowns and 9 passing touchdowns, to go along with 8 interceptions
  • Had had 1,735 passing yards
  • Had 497 rushing yards
  • was only sacked 14 times all year
  • Passing completion % was 47.8%
  • played well enough for Rutgers to be competitive against Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, and Penn State till team ran out of gas in the fourth quarter
  • Had a significant proportion of Rutgers 2,193 rushing yards
  • Only 19 and will work hard in the offseason to get better
  • He improves his ability to complete short passes, he will achieve the desired passing completion rate
    • Needs to average 2 more completions a game to average a 55% passing completion percentage rate
    • Needs to average 3 more completions a game to average a 60% passing completion percentage rate

• We won at least 7 Games for the first time since 2014
    • 11 rushes for 87 yards vs VT
    • 16 rushes for 143 yards vs Indiana
    • Made key throws to win MSU Game
    • had a 58.6% Completion Rate vs Northwestern
  • He had 11 rushing touchdowns and 9 passing touchdowns, to go along with 8 interceptions
  • Had had 1,735 passing yards
  • Had 497 rushing yards
  • was only sacked 14 times all year
  • Passing completion % was 47.8%
  • played well enough for Rutgers to be competitive against Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, and Penn State till team ran out of gas in the fourth quarter
  • Had a significant proportion of Rutgers 2,193 rushing yards
  • Only 19 and will work hard in the offseason to get better
  • He improves his ability to complete short passes, he will achieve the desired passing completion rate
    • Needs to average 2 more completions a game to average a 55% passing completion percentage rate
    • Needs to average 3 more completions a game to average a 60% passing completion percentage rate
We need a quarterback who can make the simplest of throws

I hope Gavin can make those jumps. If he can, we will be very good next year.

But responding to another thread where the poster said Teel was a mediocre QB. Teel was an excellent college QB. His stats and progression were impressive.

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2005 51 101 683 50.5 6.76 38 2 10 6 94.03
2006 164 296 2135 55.4 7.21 72 12 13 7 120.59
2007 203 349 3147 58.2 9.02 69 20 13 7 145.37
2008 243 396 3418 61.6 8.63 93 25 13 16 148.13

If we could have gotten a 120 rating out GG we would have had at least one more win.

Also to those exposing the GS not wanting a throwing QB nonsense.

You forgot 3 pick sixes that turned the tide of 3 games. I usually like your optimism but we need another quarterback Greg owes it to the rest of the team.
you forget that the problem was play design, which allowed the corners the opportunity to jump the routes, especially in the Wisconsin game, where he was throwing to the long side of the field. You are also not considering the lack of talent in the WR room. contrast our WRs with Miami's and the difference is night and day. If you're telling me that any replacement is not going to throw pick 6's, i'm going to call BS, because the WR. corp is too weak to make such as statement.

Two of the three games were Ohio State and Michigan, so the knowledge athleticism of the defensive backs had a lot to do with their ability to read their keys and jump the route.
Michigan's MIKE SAINRISTIL also had a pick 6 vs Michigan State. The Michigan Game Margin was 24 and the Ohio State Margin was 19, so these pick 6's did not matter.

The Wisconsin Game was the only game where the pick 6 was costly. Even so, it really didn't impact our season, as we still would have ended up in the pinstripe bowl at 7-5.

Gavin can develop into the quarterback we. need. He is still learning.

But responding to another thread where the poster said Teel was a mediocre QB. Teel was an excellent college QB. His stats and progression were impressive.

If we could have gotten a 120 rating out GG we would have had at least one more win.

No one in the NFL thought he was so hot.

Reactions: Kbee3
Yes, the season was a success. GW, for the most part, managed the games OK behind a monster runner. Truth is that had we not had Kyle, we would be looking at a very different outcome because Gavin is unable to make something happen with his arm.

The season was an unmitigated success. Wimsatt's first season as a starting QB was not. If RU wants to become a 9–10-win program, KC (or some other OC) is going to have to figure out how to maximize the QB position. A 48% completion percentage isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
you forget that the problem was play design, which allowed the corners the opportunity to jump the routes, especially in the Wisconsin game, where he was throwing to the long side of the field. You are also not considering the lack of talent in the WR room. contrast our WRs with Miami's and the difference is night and day. If you're telling me that any replacement is not going to throw pick 6's, i'm going to call BS, because the WR. corp is too weak to make such as statement.

Two of the three games were Ohio State and Michigan, so the knowledge athleticism of the defensive backs had a lot to do with their ability to read their keys and jump the route.
Michigan's MIKE SAINRISTIL also had a pick 6 vs Michigan State. The Michigan Game Margin was 24 and the Ohio State Margin was 19, so these pick 6's did not matter.

The Wisconsin Game was the only game where the pick 6 was costly. Even so, it really didn't impact our season, as we still would have ended up in the pinstripe bowl at 7-5.

Gavin can develop into the quarterback we. need. He is still learning.
The pick 6 in the OSU game 100% mattered. RU had the lead with the ball, driving down the field in the 3rd Q. OSU was on their heals and RU was in control of the game. Add points on that drive and it’s a winnable game. That play 100% turned the entire game and there is nothing you can say that can change that fact. Now, I am not sure the pick 6 was entirely GW fault. The play call wasn’t the best, the safety made a great play and luck was on OSU side because the ball went directly to the OSU DB after the deflection. But that play changed the outcome of the game.

Reactions: Kbee3
No one in the NFL thought he was so hot.
Many of the teams in the NFL have trouble developing and identifying QB talent, judging from some of the QBs that have been trotted out as starters in the last several years.

Teel was a good long ball thrower who benefited tremendously from having NFL RB/OL/WR.
In the years that Rice was playing, defenses were stacked to stop the run and downfield was more open.
RU's OL gave Teel the time to throw long.
Britt and Underwood were fast enough to get up the sideline and beyond the defense,
Teel was good at dropping the ball in the basket from on high.
RU offense was a yardage monster between the 20s and then the sad sack red zone was often about FGs.
I called those yards between the 20s "low calorie" because the defense was often knowingly giving those up.

Teel and crew were aware of the empty yds:

"The individual offensive numbers look like something from a video game. Rutgers will likely finish this season with two 1,000-yard receivers for the first time in school history, with a 3,000-yard passer and, most likely, with a 1,600-yard rusher. Yet there were the Knights, settling for five field goal tries in six red zone trips against Connecticut on Saturday (making four) while managing just one touchdown. The total offense wound up as 511 yards that game. The number of offensive touchdowns in the 38-19 loss? One. "It's not all about stats. It's about being efficient .said quarterback Mike Teel.. .we had 500 yards of offense and we scored one touchdown. That's not going to get it done."

Head coach Greg Schiano said " We just have to get it fixed. It's frustrating when you have six trips in there and you only score 19 points." The red zone failings have become even more troubling recently. After having 11 touchdowns and five field goals in 16 red zone trips through the first four games, Rutgers has six touchdowns and eight field goals in 18 red zone tries the past five games."

RU red zone has been bad a long time - spanning three different decades -Its not the OCs!

The pick 6 in the OSU game 100% mattered. RU had the lead with the ball, driving down the field in the 3rd Q. OSU was on their heals and RU was in control of the game. Add points on that drive and it’s a winnable game. That play 100% turned the entire game and there is nothing you can say that can change that fact. Now, I am not sure the pick 6 was entirely GW fault. The play call wasn’t the best, the safety made a great play and luck was on OSU side because the ball went directly to the OSU DB after the deflection. But that play changed the outcome of the game.
come on, that's ridiculous. Ohio State totally outclassed us. Marvin Harrison doesn't play for Rutgers. add points on that drive and Ohio State throws more to Harrison, whom we couldn't stop.

we were lucky to keep the game competitive, 21-16 in the 4th quarter till we ran out of gas, and OSU scored 2 unanswered TDs, with Marvin Harrison catching both.

This team isn't ready to beat Ohio State in fantasyland. We're two years away just to be competitive with them.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Looking forward to a real qb competition next year. Iron sharpens iron. Hope Gavin improves, and I think he will. No doubt we need a much better passing attack to make the next jump in winning.
Ha ha. Another naive post. Heard that last year too. The Jets will have a more open, fair QB1 competition than Rutgers will. Joe Tomato will have more of an opportunity to beat out Rodgers than whoever GS brings in to challenge Golden Gavin, if anyone.

GW has exactly the skill set Schiano wants: handoffs and occasional scripted runs. Passing is not high on the job description criteria.

Last edited:
Ha ha. Another naive post. Heard that last year too. The Jets will have a more open, fair QB1 competition than Rutgers will. Joe Tomato will have an opportunity to beat Rodgers than whoever GS brings in, if anyone.
You didn't hear that from me last year. Explain what is naive about expecting a portal-recruited P5 starting QB to compete with GW.

You didn't hear that from me last year. Explain what is naive about expecting a portal-recruited P5 starting QB to compete with GW.
Did I miss this P5 starting QB commitment ?

I’d be thrilled if I’m wrong, but I don’t see the Minn QB being a lock.

I don’t see the benefit of a silent verbal. GW
knows the guy and his brother visited. so why hide a commitment from the public if it happened ?

Plus, the guy is probably shopping for a package deal with his brother, in a position we don’t need.

I bet they both go somewhere where they are likely to start and not participate in a sham competition like Simon did.

The season was an unmitigated success. Wimsatt's first season as a starting QB was not. If RU wants to become a 9–10-win program, KC (or some other OC) is going to have to figure out how to maximize the QB position. A 48% completion percentage isn't going to cut it.
get better players at WR and then we can talk about maximizing the WR position

So what? He was a solid college quarterback. No one went so far as to predict a professional career for him.
Our fans suck. A QB with 145 rating two years in a row and over 3000 yards. Then others say it was because of the receivers and the OL. Jesus people.

Our fans suck. A QB with 145 rating two years in a row and over 3000 yards. Then others say it was because of the receivers and the OL. Jesus people.

Lol - Ive stopped being amazed that people can watch so much football and not see the interrelation between QB/OL/WR - I mean its basic stuff.

Put Savage on the Rice/Britt/Sosa/Underwood/Zuttah/Leonard/Stapleton/Harris RU teams and put Teel on the 2O10 monstrosity. Night and day....

Last edited:
Maybe the Tommy Cutlets love from the locals encourages a NJ native QB to return home. Could Notre Dinero’s bowl game fill-in QB and Westfield NJ native Steve Angeli see the light when his team brings in another transfer portal QB to put him back on “ride the pines“ status?

get better players at WR and then we can talk about maximizing the WR position
It won't matter how good the WRs are if the QB can't throw passes in the same stadium they're in. Or if the OC isn't calling plays in which they are participants. Or coordinating an offense that isn't predictable.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
He looked better, with only an FEW overthrows and uncatchables in the game. That said, he better start practicing with that moving bullseye target they use in those ESPN QB Challenge shows!

It won't matter how good the WRs are if the QB can't throw passes in the same stadium they're in. Or if the OC isn't calling plays in which they are participants. Or coordinating an offense that isn't predictable.

I would say good WRs should be helping with bad passes A LOT - more than they do. RU fans are used to mediocre WRs the last years. A good WR is not just a pair of hands waiting for laser darts from QB. They make stuff happen.

qm84bVw.gif

bxrdsNh.gif

CKn3GIW.gif

come on, that's ridiculous. Ohio State totally outclassed us. Marvin Harrison doesn't play for Rutgers. add points on that drive and Ohio State throws more to Harrison, whom we couldn't stop.

we were lucky to keep the game competitive, 21-16 in the 4th quarter till we ran out of gas, and OSU scored 2 unanswered TDs, with Marvin Harrison catching both.

This team isn't ready to beat Ohio State in fantasyland. We're two years away just to be competitive with them.
I don’t mind your crazy posts on this site but you are completely wrong about the OSU INT. I assume you weren’t there if you don’t understand the momentum shift of that play. RU OL was dominating the OSU DL and we had control of the game until that play.

Our fans were killing Teel AFTER the 2007 season when we started 1-5 in 2008. Our fans are that bad.

Can’t really compare the 2 because Teel was a much better sit in the pocket passer. When he started hitting long balls in 2008 the Offense opened up. But that was a year we could not just grind it out. The 2007 Offense was a thing of beauty and fun to watch but e lacked depth in D that year after the stellar D in 2006. This may seem hard to read and listen to but scoring so fast every game kept our D on the field a lot and cost us to home wins against MD and Cincinnati. We didn’t talk about TOP back then like we do now but those teams did to us what we did to Miami, VT, NW, etc this year.

We saw against OSU and MSU and even NW that we can throw the ball but our game plan all along was to control the clock like 2006. We played a much tougher grind this year than 2006 and in the end our D got worn out anyway. Schiano talks openly about how they approached the season and each game and he seems happy with 7-6 but not satisfied. This is clearly a step in the right direction but he wants more. That is clear to me.

Sure,
I would say good WRs should be helping with bad passes A LOT - more than they do. RU fans are used to mediocre WRs the last years. A good WR is not just a pair of hands waiting for laser darts from QB. They make stuff happen.

qm84bVw.gif

bxrdsNh.gif

CKn3GIW.gif
Sure, I guess Schiano needs to find us some WRs with 5ft verticals or go out and find us some athletic 10 ft tall WRs...

Reactions: pmvon and Shelby65
Did I miss this P5 starting QB commitment ?

I’d be thrilled if I’m wrong, but I don’t see the Minn QB being a lock.

I don’t see the benefit of a silent verbal. GW
knows the guy and his brother visited. so why hide a commitment from the public if it happened ?

Plus, the guy is probably shopping for a package deal with his brother, in a position we don’t need.

I bet they both go somewhere where they are likely to start and not participate in a sham competition like Simon did.
So based on your assumptions, my post about "looking forward to a real qb competition next year" was naive. Got it. 🙄

So based on your assumptions, my post about "looking forward to a real qb competition next year" was naive. Got it. 🙄
Yes. As mentioned, same ‘story’ about a QB competition last year too. Your assumption ignores Schiano’s philosophy and favoritism. If he changes his spots this year and you are right, I’d be overjoyed with being wrong.

Yes. As mentioned, same ‘story’ about a QB competition last year too. Your assumption ignores Schiano’s philosophy and favoritism. If he changes his spots this year and you are right, I’d be overjoyed with being wrong.
So Schiano and Kirk are recruiting a portal P5 starting qb to back-up Wimsatt? That's your story?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT