ADVERTISEMENT

GG to portal?

I respect your opinion here....but I disagree with a lot.

Maybe Gavin made selfish plays, but I don't think he is selfish at all. I think Gavin was told to shoot as much as he can and he constantly had pressure to produce to play. Also didn't help certain of his teammates froze him out .

As far as Gavin succeeding elsewhere and being a starter at a major conference team......I don't know if you put him in an Iowa uniform and gave him a starting spot that he wouldn't lose it. I don't have enough information to say he would fail. I think he would succeed as an offensive player at Iowa, but I don't know.

As far as GG getting caught up in the......... sitting on the bench most of the year and making no contributions in a winning game all year outside of Boston U has to scar you. He does not want to go through another year like that. If he can find a new beginning and a program that doesnt emphasize D as much he has a much better chane to succeed
There are so many moving parts and ways to interperet things we will never really know. For example, was GG frozen out because he never gave the ball back or went 1 on 3 when he got the ball? Was that an unreasonable response from them? Would other teams do the same?

Could GG have been scarred by his experience? Well his riding the bench in the middle of the season was a result of all around horrible - game losing - play when we still had post season hope. And he got enough minutes and fan support to work his way out of it and the minutes increased. Is that not the way it's properly done? So, yeah, having a hellacious slump could be distressing for a player. But being so scarred by having experienced a slump that you transfer...I don't have to tell you how that looks.

Meanwhile, we had many posters on this board during the season saying he was unfairly getting too many minutes relative to his game contributions due to his star ranking.

I could see Gavin starting here, or at Iowa, next year, or not. He has to make shots and play better.

In edit: although at Iowa his bad D might not stand out so much, so there is that.

Last edited:

Bac and Roc dog incident​

(July 2022)
Bac dog incident
DateJune 1983
LocationBac' station wagon en route from Belmont, Massachusetts to Beach O'Pines, Ontario
First reporterReported by Neil Swidey in The Boston Globe in June 2007[1]
ParticipantsBac, his brother, and their pet dog Sweat Pea
During a 1983 family vacation, American bracketologis and @bac2therac drove 12 hours with his dog on top of the car in a windshield-equipped carrier.[1][2][3][4] This incident became the subject of negative media attention and political attacks on bac before the 1993 and 1994 NCAA tournament

Road trip in 1983[edit]​

In June 1983, the bac family left their Belmont, Massachusetts home on their way to bac's parents' cottage in Beach O' Pines, Ontario for an annual vacation along the shore of Lake Huron. Their dog, Sweat Pea, rode in a carrier on the roof of the family's Chevrolet Caprice station wagon for the 12-hour trip. Bac had built a windshield for the carrier to make the ride more comfortable for the dog.[1] During the 650-mile (1,050 km) trip, Sweat Pea got diarrhea. Bac first alerted to the Irish Setter’s bowel issues when Roc noticed brown liquid pouring down the back window, followed immediately by him and his younger brothers yelling in disgust. Bac stopped at a gas station to wash the dog, the carrier, and the car. With Sweat Pea back in the carrier, the family continued on their way.[1][2]

Sweat Pea the dog[edit]​

Sweat Pea, an Irish Setter, was an active, outgoing dog, and was the bac family's first pet dog.[5] It is generally reported that,[by whom?] a few years after his ride to Canada, Sweat Pea was given to his brother, roc of California, who said, "He kept ending up at the pound. They were worried about him getting hit crossing the street. We had more space, so he could roam more freely."[6] The dog's date of death is unknown, but Roc stated that Sweat Pea lived to a "ripe old age" on her farm in California.[7]
Two of Bac's heirs, however, are reported to have casually contradicted this, off record, saying Sweat pea actually ran away once the family reached their destination.[8]

Family response[edit]​

When interviewed by Chris Wallace of Fox News, Bac stated that Sweat pea enjoyed being in the dog carrier, an "air-tight kennel", and that he was not aware of any violations of Massachusetts law;[9] the state's animal cruelty laws prohibit anyone from carrying an animal "in or upon a vehicle, or otherwise, in an unnecessarily cruel or inhumane manner."[10] In earlier accounts, Bac described a makeshift "windshield".[11][12]
Roc, bacs brother, has stated that the news media exaggerated the severity of the incident, and compared traveling in the roof-top dog carrier to riding a motorcycle or riding in the bed of a pickup truck.[5]
During an April 2012 interview with ABC News, Diane Sawyer asked the Bacs about Sweat pea and the road trip, and if he would ever do it again. Bac offered, "He loves it, it's his favorite." During the same interview, Roc attributed Sweat pea' troubles to eating turkey off the table.[13][14] Romney stated that he loved his dog.[15]

Other responses[edit]​

In 2007, Ingrid Newkirk, president of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), criticized Bac for the incident.[16] Responding to PETA, Bac said, "my dog likes fresh air".[17]
Newkirk has elaborated (speaking for herself rather than for PETA) that the Sweat Pea incident irritates her because "there are far more serious issues to talk about" regarding the mistreatment of animals.[18]
In 2012, post Dogs Against Bac protest outside the Westminster Dog show,[19] MacArthur Animal Hospital's Dr. Rawstrom was contacted by Slate about the plausibility of the Bac's claim Sweat Pea just had to poop in his crate. "They (dogs) prefer clean environments; that’s why one principle of crate training is to give them a space large enough to move around in but small enough that they don’t want to defecate inside.” She added Sweat pea' loose stool was likely indicative of "high levels of stress."[8]
During the2012 NCAA March madenss bracketlogist Jerry Palm aired an anti-bac attack ad that featured the story.[20][21][22]
WTF is happening here?

As far as GG getting caught up in the......... sitting on the bench most of the year and making no contributions in a winning game all year outside of Boston U has to scar you. He does not want to go through another year like that. If he can find a new beginning and a program that doesnt emphasize D as much he has a much better chane to succeed
Well, if our shots as a team went down...as an average team...he wouldn't have to play defense.
Hopefully with next year's team we can get some scoring that doesn't make us work doubly hard on D to stay in a game

Reactions: RAS61

(July 2022)
Bac dog incident
DateJune 1983
LocationBac' station wagon en route from Belmont, Massachusetts to Beach O'Pines, Ontario
During a 1983 family vacation, American bracketologis and @bac2therac drove 12 hours with his dog on top of the car in a windshield-equipped carrier.[1][2][3][4] This incident became the subject of negative media attention and political attacks on bac before the 1993 and 1994 NCAA tournament

Road trip in 1983[edit]​

In June 1983, the bac family left their Belmont, Massachusetts home on their way to bac's parents' cottage in Beach O' Pines, Ontario for an annual vacation along the shore of Lake Huron. Their dog, Sweat Pea, rode in a carrier on the roof of the family's Chevrolet Caprice station wagon for the 12-hour trip. Bac had built a windshield for the carrier to make the ride more comfortable for the dog.[1] During the 650-mile (1,050 km) trip, Sweat Pea got diarrhea. Bac first alerted to the Irish Setter’s bowel issues when Roc noticed brown liquid pouring down the back window, followed immediately by him and his younger brothers yelling in disgust. Bac stopped at a gas station to wash the dog, the carrier, and the car. With Sweat Pea back in the carrier, the family continued on their way.[1][2]

Sweat Pea the dog[edit]​

Sweat Pea, an Irish Setter, was an active, outgoing dog, and was the bac family's first pet dog.[5] It is generally reported that,[by whom?] a few years after his ride to Canada, Sweat Pea was given to his brother, roc of California, who said, "He kept ending up at the pound. They were worried about him getting hit crossing the street. We had more space, so he could roam more freely."[6] The dog's date of death is unknown, but Roc stated that Sweat Pea lived to a "ripe old age" on her farm in California.[7]
Two of Bac's heirs, however, are reported to have casually contradicted this, off record, saying Sweat pea actually ran away once the family reached their destination.[8]

Family response[edit]​

When interviewed by Chris Wallace of Fox News, Bac stated that Sweat pea enjoyed being in the dog carrier, an "air-tight kennel", and that he was not aware of any violations of Massachusetts law;[9] the state's animal cruelty laws prohibit anyone from carrying an animal "in or upon a vehicle, or otherwise, in an unnecessarily cruel or inhumane manner."[10] In earlier accounts, Bac described a makeshift "windshield".[11][12]
Roc, bacs brother, has stated that the news media exaggerated the severity of the incident, and compared traveling in the roof-top dog carrier to riding a motorcycle or riding in the bed of a pickup truck.[5]
During an April 2012 interview with ABC News, Diane Sawyer asked the Bacs about Sweat pea and the road trip, and if he would ever do it again. Bac offered, "He loves it, it's his favorite." During the same interview, Roc attributed Sweat pea' troubles to eating turkey off the table.[13][14] Romney stated that he loved his dog.[15]

Other responses[edit]​

In 2007, Ingrid Newkirk, president of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), criticized Bac for the incident.[16] Responding to PETA, Bac said, "my dog likes fresh air".[17]
Newkirk has elaborated (speaking for herself rather than for PETA) that the Sweat Pea incident irritates her because "there are far more serious issues to talk about" regarding the mistreatment of animals.[18]
In 2012, post Dogs Against Bac protest outside the Westminster Dog show,[19] MacArthur Animal Hospital's Dr. Rawstrom was contacted by Slate about the plausibility of the Bac's claim Sweat Pea just had to poop in his crate. "They (dogs) prefer clean environments; that’s why one principle of crate training is to give them a space large enough to move around in but small enough that they don’t want to defecate inside.” She added Sweat pea' loose stool was likely indicative of "high levels of stress."[8]
During the2012 NCAA March madenss bracketlogist Jerry Palm aired an anti-bac attack ad that featured the story.[20][21][22]
this is horrifying but true

Figured this out in my head during bout of insomnia at 3am so it could be and probably is way off, but here's the minutes distribution I could see RU having:

*Dylan Harper-30
*Jeremiah Williams-25
PORTAL (shooting guard)-20
JaMichael Davis-15 (next year he could have starter minutes)
*Gavin Griffiths-25
*Ace Bailey-30
PORTAL (Zach Martini)- 20
*PORTAL (Center)- 20
Lathan Somerville- 15
Dylan Grant/Bryce Dortch -
Emmanuel Ogbole-

From what I see, there'd be plenty of minutes available for Gavin; * for starters; gets dicey for the guys at the end of the bench

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddy Stubbs

(July 2022)
Bac dog incident
DateJune 1983

Road trip in 1983[edit]​

Sweat Pea the dog[edit]​

Family response[edit]​

Other responses[edit]​

This is not funny. I hope this isn't what we have to expect from you until BB season starts. Anywho... I'm a Jack Russell not some Irish dog. Hmmmmm

I have heard this too - coaching staff too lax - not enough discipline/ accountability demanded by the coaching staff resulting in friction on the team
I feel our staff especially Thompson way too buddy buddy… what exactly does he do?? Probably my least fav on the bench

I have heard this too - coaching staff too lax - not enough discipline/ accountability demanded by the coaching staff resulting in friction on the team
I am betting you "heard" about this from one of the negative wacko posts on this board - very insider information.

Reactions: fluoxetine
I say the byproduct of struggling and losing, if they were winning everything would have been hunky dory and a love fest. Funny how losing brings out the worst and winning cures all ills

I am going to guess 3 things....they are merely educated guesses.

1. It is real that certain players were less apt to pass to others (Gavin primary, could be another)
2. The coaching staff was aware
3. Players lost time and had roles in the rotation reduced because of it at times last year

The thought that Pike was lax or was too nice or whatever is really tough to say because we don't know what is happening behind the scene.

Unfortunately it was tough last year to discern who lost minutes to bad play and who COULD have lost time for other issues because a lot of the players who lost PT at times during the season played pretty poorly.

I am going to guess 3 things....they are merely educated guesses.

1. It is real that certain players were less apt to pass to others (Gavin primary, could be another)
2. The coaching staff was aware
3. Players lost time and had roles in the rotation reduced because of it at times last year

The thought that Pike was lax or was too nice or whatever is really tough to say because we don't know what is happening behind the scene.

Unfortunately it was tough last year to discern who lost minutes to bad play and who COULD have lost time for other issues because a lot of the players who lost PT at times during the season played pretty poorly.
I'm sure it happened, it happens all the time in basketball. Guys don't give the ball to guys they don't trust with it. A freshman shooting 20%, jacking up bad shots, and looking lost on the court is a PRIME candidate to be frozen out until he earns his looks.

So what changed going from 10-10 to 15-10 wins? All of sudden this hypothetical BS … too lax … no discipline? Hard to believe but some of this was on Steve Pikiell .He knows why and I have every trust and belief this won’t happen again. Looking forward to see where we are after portal exits and entries prior to pre season.

Utter Bullshyt about the staff and those pushing the negatives or agreeing with BS rumors need to be called out.
Agree. Also, what is "too" lax? These are all professional 1 year free agents. If Bobby Knight were in his prime today and coaching, his whole team would have transferred. When Greg Schiano took his tough guy method to the NFL, the players, who weren't 4 year scholarship captives, didn't respond to it. The needle has moved in terms of how much a coach can ride players and how much they have to be concerned with their feelings. If not they will leave.

So I fully expect people to not be happy about this new dynamic (I'm not happy) and have unrealistic expectations based on the way things used to be. But that doesn't make the expectations any more realistic.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
So what changed going from 10-10 to 15-10 wins? All of sudden this hypothetical BS … too lax … no discipline? Hard to believe but some of this was on Steve Pikiell .He knows why and I have every trust and belief this won’t happen again. Looking forward to see where we are after portal exits and entries prior to pre season.
We didn't have a PG to create anymore.

No we had a PG … or does J Williams not count? … you are correct up to that point neither DS or JM was consistent in running the team. With JW we went on a mini run which created some hope amongst Rutgers faithful.

Seems like the longer it takes to see Grffiths' name in the portal, the likelier it is that he'd decided to remain at Rutgers, no?

Reactions: Eagleton96
GG has a lot of potential. I want him here. Being with Dylan and Ace will be amazing for him. Again, he needs some bulk and he can finish at the rim. The guy is good.

I'm sure it happened, it happens all the time in basketball. Guys don't give the ball to guys they don't trust with it. A freshman shooting 20%, jacking up bad shots, and looking lost on the court is a PRIME candidate to be frozen out until he earns his looks.
Just like a QB who isn't going to throw to a WR who keeps dropping the ball

Ice Cube Friday GIF

I want GG to return, hit the weight room, work his butt off with the guys that will be here next year, and let's go. He should be one of our leaders in two years. Pikes should stick with his long-time mantra of "I play the best, and I'm fair to the rest." Can't promise a starting role to anyone, although we all expect Ace and Dylan will grab two of those spots. JWill likely does too, or at least high minutes (25+) off the bench. That leaves a lot of minutes available for GG and portal guys. Davis is probably a defensive sub with 15 minutes or so. I could see wanting to hear what the scheme will be and how I might fit in it, but guys demanding X shots per game or Y minutes? Not a fan of that, and I hope that's not happening.

Seems like the longer it takes to see Grffiths' name in the portal, the likelier it is that he'd decided to remain at Rutgers, no?

Could be he’s waiting to see how the current 3 vacancies on Rutgers roster get filled. Think about it. If you were in his position, wouldn’t that be a factor? This is a kid who came in expecting to be a starter last year. He didn’t even beat out J Mike. Yeah I know he had some better games at the end of the season but that was when we had already packed it in. If your Gavin, you’d have to assume J Williams, Ace and Dylan are all ahead of you in the pecking order as well as the 5 spot (somebody has to play there at all times and it won’t be Gavin). So that leaves one starter position open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT