ADVERTISEMENT

Good B1G Blog re: Kyle Flood

This thread is going to drop like a rock to the bottom of the board. Posters on this board are only interested in hearing about 4 and 5 star recruits. They are fixated on that, and everything else is irrelevant.

Pa
This thread is going to drop like a rock to the bottom of the board. Posters on this board are only interested in hearing about 4 and 5 star recruits. They are fixated on that, and everything else is irrelevant.
Pathetic, but true.

Just like those outside the state of New Jersey that have a far better view of RU then those living in state, it seems that other B1G fans and bloggers have a far better view of Kyle Flood then the RU fan base. Check the link out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...n-serve-as-model-for-big-ten-football-coaches
As usual what it actually is is that fans of other Big Ten schools consider 3 Big Ten wins to be overacheiving for RU. There is a long thread of RU fans should be happy with middling seasons becuase thats the best they can realistically expect in the national and out of region media.

It is really hard to not agree with this assessment. What Flood isn't is flashy and this, I think, is why so many think he is not a good coach. If you look at the situation you see a program running on little money and trying the catch up to the real world now that we are out of the bad conferences. I fully expect some rough patches ahead with the BIG's "toughest schedule" next season and that will certainly bring out the negatoids in droves.

As hard as it might be for some to swallow the ideas expressed in that blog - the essence of it is valid
- - and - hard reality here - if RU has a slightly above average year - the question that will be kicked around will be how big of a raise will they need to give Flood to keep him.

Reactions: trentonrufan
Flood might prove better than we think .
Just need a chance to improve RU FB a little every year and prove his naysayers wrong. in the end..
Becoming a top B1G program isn't going to come about quickly , but in a slow deliberate manner improving the quality of play as the quality of commits improves along with that.

Rutgers is second-third choice for many of the recruits RU goes after, because they aren't convinced
that Rutgers will be more than a middle of the pack B1G program and go elsewhere .
But if Flood cam bring home some big wins and stay competitive in the games against the best, from a back up school, RU could make the front runner catogary and pull in the type of recruits every RU fan is pining for ( but claim *s don't matter )

Last edited:
Reactions: trentonrufan
There were and are many not-so-flashy coaches that have been very successful: The Bear, Frank Beamer, Joe Pa (and yes he was very successful), Nick Saban, Mark Richt, to name a few.

The best thing we can hope for is the naysayers eventually have to give him grudging respect. I like the guy. He's easy to root for, just a regular good guy dropped into the %#&@ storm that was Rutgers Athletics 2012-13. He seems to have weathered the storm and has RU on the right track. I think all it would take is a big time recruit or two to get just about everyone on his side.

When I think of not-so-flashy coaches I think of Bud Wilkinson. Soft spoken and looked liked your grandfather.

Love that Jerry kill is on this list because that is the comparison for RU. Minnesota finally has upgraded their facilities and their new stadium and avg 7-9 win seasons. No scandals and a good coach who everyone says is a great guy. There's no shame in following that model until we get on par with the rest of our Eastern division opponents in terms of facilities, etc. The sooner some on this board realize this is where we are as opposed to some unrealistic expectations, the better. I'll say it again, it's year 2 of this thing.

At least we are lucky to have a 5 star coach.
Flood is not a 5 star coach. He's about a 3 star who could eventually show more. But you can win with someone like that just like you can win with players who are 3 stars. There are a lot of different hats a head coach has to wear. A coach may wear some of them well and not so well the others. The ones who do it all are the 5 stars and those guys are like Urban Meyer. And those kind of guys are not coming to RU in the near future.

Great article.

I wonder when people will start to realize Flood is a good, soon to be great coach. (Yes I said great, bookmark this thread for 3-4 years from now)

P.S I mean "Great" in a relative sense. I obviously am not saying he will be on Nick Saban's level in 3-4 years so please save your posts.

It's very easy to root for Coach Flood. Don't forget the circumstances under which he took over the program, and what he's done with what he's been given.

Well one thing he inherited was an extremely inconsistent quarterback named Gary Nova. With the way Nova would make amazing throws all day in some games and then throw multiple picks the next game, he would be most coaches worst nightmare.

But Flood deserves A TON of credit for sticking it out with Nova despite the crowd wanting him to dump Nova. And because of Flood sticking to his guns and doing what was best for the team and not for his own personal reputation..... Rutgers surprised THE ENTIRE COUNTRY as this board by going 8-5 and winning a bowl game!

But in general "RUComingAlong," the next 2-3 years will provide you with an answer to your question. These next 2-3 teams are/will be ALL Flood's recruits. Of course, as usual, it will still be difficult to judge Flood because we are now in the toughest division in the country with the toughest schedule in the toughest conference. So Flood could put together a better team than Schiano had back in the Big East, but it won't show on the field/record books because of us now playing the ELITE teams in the nation every other week, sometimes even back to back.

Great article.

I wonder when people will start to realize Flood is a good, soon to be great coach. (Yes I said great, bookmark this thread for 3-4 years from now)

P.S I mean "Great" in a relative sense. I obviously am not saying he will be on Nick Saban's level in 3-4 years so please save your posts.
Honestly based on what?

MikeRU1766 said:
Great article.

Honestly based on what?

Could be based on last season and 2012.
The 2013 season was a major disappointment and is one of the reasons Kyle hasn't gained the confidence of
a lot of RU FB fans.
The blowout losses ( to the top B1G programs) is another reason and RU needs to be more competitive in those type of games before most RU fans will be singing Flood's praise.
Last season Kyle fooled the experts, if he improves on that, confidence in his coaching ability, by RU fans, will improve as well.

Reactions: MikeRU1766
Honestly based on what?

Well with the added time in the BIG10 and exposure, combined with added time to deepen relationships with HS coaches, improve facilities, and get a couple "Big Time" wins... I think we are going to see a significant uptick in our recruiting class rankings.

Also, in a couple of years we will have a 4-star recruit as our QB with 2-3 years of starting experience under his belt! THAT IS HUGE! Combine that with our big 300+lb offensive line that also will be experienced and I think you also will see at least 1 or 2 "Bigger than Big Time" wins like for example an upset over a Top10 ranked Michigan State or something or that nature.

The uptick in recruiting along with a super marquee win or 2 and I think people's tone will change on Flood from just being OK with him as the coach to saying he is good if not great.

Reactions: Peteyd
Exactly MATHAT1 said it best above. Flood has shown he can win football games. In 2014 he also showed he can recruit a top recruiting class, but sadly he made a tragic mistake as a young coach by not letting kids who verbally committed take their visits to other schools and everything fell apart.

But Flood has shown that he can be a top coach. And with a elite QB, 300+lb OL, and a crowd that gets absolutely BONKERS... I think we will see some top notch recruiting classes and some top notch wins over the next 3-4 years hence changing peoples opinions on Flood.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUMountie
Flood won't be given credit until he can win with players he, not Schiano recruited. And that day is coming very soon. I hope he succeeds.

Reactions: MikeRU1766
Well with the added time in the BIG10 and exposure, combined with added time to deepen relationships with HS coaches, improve facilities, and get a couple "Big Time" wins... I think we are going to see a significant uptick in our recruiting class rankings.

Also, in a couple of years we will have a 4-star recruit as our QB with 2-3 years of starting experience under his belt! THAT IS HUGE! Combine that with our big 300+lb offensive line that also will be experienced and I think you also will see at least 1 or 2 "Bigger than Big Time" wins like for example an upset over a Top10 ranked Michigan State or something or that nature.

The uptick in recruiting along with a super marquee win or 2 and I think people's tone will change on Flood from just being OK with him as the coach to saying he is good if not great.
Everything you have said we've been saying for 3 years now.

We had a 4 star QB in the past. We have one now who may not even be the starter.

One win or even two wins is not going to prove he's a great coach.

I get your optimism but be realistic and have facts to prove a point. Saying Flood is going to be a great coach ( game day and produce wins) is a stretch. He's good but he has a lot riding this year. A lot.

Everything you have said we've been saying for 3 years now.

We had a 4 star QB in the past. We have one now who may not even be the starter.

One win or even two wins is not going to prove he's a great coach.

I get your optimism but be realistic and have facts to prove a point. Saying Flood is going to be a great coach ( game day and produce wins) is a stretch. He's good but he has a lot riding this year. A lot.

First off, I am providing facts, you just aren't aware of them.

Laviano was also a 4 star recruit y one of the services just not all of them. So both Laviano and Rettig were 4 stars.
Additionally, you glossed over the key point of this "point" which was "THAT THEY WOULD HAVE 2-3 YEARS OF STARTING EXPERIENCE." Many fans don't seem to fully grasp the night and day difference between a Frosh or RS frosh with zero starting experience compared to a RS Jr or Sr with multiple years experience as a starter.

Also, you brought up us previously having 4 star recruits, which is correct, but Savage did not stay here long enough to gain the multiple years of experience that I am talking about. (And that are desperately needed when playing against elite competition like we are)

Additionally, you said "we have been saying this for the past 3 years." Well all I can say to that is whoever thought it would only take 3 years for a brand new coach, with a relatively low profile, at a non top tier football school to turn the football program into an elite program is extremely NAIVE. Especially considering we only joined the BIG10 last year.

And I didn't say that 1 or 2 wins would make him "great.

I said that a significant uptick in recruiting combined with some marquee wins over a couple of Top 10 ranked teams or like the past years Rose Bowl winner, etc. would be enough to make Flood "good, and potentially great." And like I said, in my previous post I was using the word "great" relatively in the sense that obviously he wouldn't be anywhere near Nick Saban's level, but he would be great for Rutgers and also great for a new, young coach who was thrown into the toughest division in the toughest conference in the country.

The problem is that Flood isn't getting the results that have helped elevate Bo Ryan. If he doesn't produce this year, how much longer does he have? I think the guy is a dud.

The problem is that Flood isn't getting the results that have helped elevate Bo Ryan. If he doesn't produce this year, how much longer does he have? I think the guy is a dud.

Produce what exactly? We aren't winning the division/conference in year two as members. He's 7 games over .500 in three seasons as head coach...if he goes 6-6 or better he's fine. this is Rutgers, not Alabama. Maybe PSU will run Franklin out of town if he can't beat Meyer and/or Harbaugh over the next 2-3 seasons making $4M per year but that's your issue.

Not every good coach's career ascends like a rocket. I'm still not certain Flood's the guy, but he's a steady Eddie type. He could still pan out and be pretty good. I'm willing to wait, watch, and see a few more years unless things really start to crash and burn. Part of the problem with coaches (and quarterbacks) sometimes is that people get impatient and don't give them enough time to develop. I don't want to see us jump the gun moving on from Flood only to wind up with a flashy, charismatic up and comer who ends up crashing and burning the program in a different way.

Produce what exactly? We aren't winning the division/conference in year two as members. He's 7 games over .500 in three seasons as head coach...if he goes 6-6 or better he's fine. this is Rutgers, not Alabama. Maybe PSU will run Franklin out of town if he can't beat Meyer and/or Harbaugh over the next 2-3 seasons making $4M per year but that's your issue.

Absolutely. But what is he doing exactly? I just don't get it. You have one of the best states in the country for CFB talent and another decent one right across the bridge and your coach can't recruit anyone. Seven games over .500 is great and all but the first two seasons weren't in a legit conference. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him stay but he is a complete dud.

He also coached in 3 different conferences in 3 years. Including bowl games it was a stretch of playing 27 straight different opponents from Va Tech 2012 to UNC 2014. Again I'm not saying he's Knute Rockne and he's probably not be the long term answer here but I think people should cut the guy a little slack. If he bombs in 2015 I will rethink my position.the recruiting NJ stuff on paper is not a reason to fire a coach who's currently 7 games over .500.

We have the hardest schedule in the Big Ten this year again and of course no one is giving Rutgers a chance again this year.

If we go to another bowl game again, that will say a lot.

I look at Flood and think of Frank Beamer at VPI. He is also not a flashy guy but one who kept plugging away at the situation he was in and slowly but surely built the Hokies into a Top 25 program. At this point, he seems to have stayed on a bit too long but Kyle is certainly a long ways away from entering the downward spiral of someone who is living on his laurels.

He also coached in 3 different conferences in 3 years. Including bowl games it was a stretch of playing 27 straight different opponents from Va Tech 2012 to UNC 2014. Again I'm not saying he's Knute Rockne and he's probably not be the long term answer here but I think people should cut the guy a little slack. If he bombs in 2015 I will rethink my position.the recruiting NJ stuff on paper is not a reason to fire a coach who's currently 7 games over .500.
Come dude. 3 different divisions. The Big East in its last year was crap. Louisville was the only solid team same with the AAC. Do you guys realize all you do is say the ACC sucks and Uconn, Syracuse, USFsuck but that is who was in our division that we couldn't win outright to get a BCS game. WV who we hadn't beat in 20 years left and we still couldn't get s BCS.

Wow, if getting out scored 180-44 against the 4 top teams in the conference is the bench mark for a "great coach" then we have our guy. Being non competitive against the better teams is not my idea of success. But so many on here are thrilled with that level of play. If Rutgers is really going in the right direction, I expect at least 7 wins this year.

Wow, if getting out scored 180-44 against the 4 top teams in the conference is the bench mark for a "great coach" then we have our guy. Being non competitive against the better teams is not my idea of success. But so many on here are thrilled with that level of play. If Rutgers is really going in the right direction, I expect at least 7 wins this year.

There is so much ignorant, immature, stupid BS on this post it makes my head explode. A post like this does not even deserve a detailed reply.

There is so much ignorant, immature, stupid BS on this post it makes my head explode. A post like this does not even deserve a detailed reply.
Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt and can't figure out how to respond....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT