ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Kevin Boyle

KNICKI

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2006
East Brunswick, NJ
I grew up in the same town as Kevin. My father coached him in his younger days. The guy is a basketball genius. He won a UCT for Clark in 1981 which is no small feat for a town with no basketball talent. He basically was the coach on that team & made Clark a top 10 team in the state. When he left Clark, that was the end of winning. He wasn't the most physically gifted player, but he willed himself into a D1 player. He made it because his knowledge of the game is incredible.

Kevin then made ST. Pats a power & ruffled the Hurley's feathers. Everybody says how great Bob Hurley is & he is a great coach. The fact is that Kevin's program was better than St. Anthony's. St. Pats had crap facilities, yet Kevin was able to attract the best players to play for him because they wanted to learn from the best. Kevin has the gift to develop players & has put a ton of players in D1 basketball & plenty of NBA players. He has more 1st round draft picks than most college coaches. Plus he has the gift of evaluating talent. He can definitely coach these players up. He is simply the best high school coach in the nation. The fact that most think Danny Hurley is better coach than Kevin is almost laughable. Another example of political BS.

Boyle is a basketball lifer & he knows the NJ landscape. He would kill it in recruiting because the players love him. He is not the most charismatic guy, but the players want to play for him. The main reason is they want to play in the league or play professionally. If he surrounded himself with a few veteran savy assistants this is a home run hire. I'm sure Hobbs knows Kevin since they are both Seton Hall guys. Trust me, the losing would stop if Kevin was hired. If facilities are upgraded along with the improved inevitable play, we would get our share of top players. He would turn this thing around in a hurry.

Just do it RU. In Hobbs we trust

I have been pro Boyle all along, way better than hurley but he would have to have an experienced staff......Hobbs just do it......

Reactions: loyalty_policia
I grew up in the same town as Kevin. My father coached him in his younger days. The guy is a basketball genius. He won a UCT for Clark in 1981 which is no small feat for a town with no basketball talent. He basically was the coach on that team & made Clark a top 10 team in the state. When he left Clark, that was the end of winning. He wasn't the most physically gifted player, but he willed himself into a D1 player. He made it because his knowledge of the game is incredible.

Kevin then made ST. Pats a power & ruffled the Hurley's feathers. Everybody says how great Bob Hurley is & he is a great coach. The fact is that Kevin's program was better than St. Anthony's. St. Pats had crap facilities, yet Kevin was able to attract the best players to play for him because they wanted to learn from the best. Kevin has the gift to develop players & has put a ton of players in D1 basketball & plenty of NBA players. He has more 1st round draft picks than most college coaches. Plus he has the gift of evaluating talent. He can definitely coach these players up. He is simply the best high school coach in the nation. The fact that most think Danny Hurley is better coach than Kevin is almost laughable. Another example of political BS.

Boyle is a basketball lifer & he knows the NJ landscape. He would kill it in recruiting because the players love him. He is not the most charismatic guy, but the players want to play for him. The main reason is they want to play in the league or play professionally. If he surrounded himself with a few veteran savy assistants this is a home run hire. I'm sure Hobbs knows Kevin since they are both Seton Hall guys. Trust me, the losing would stop if Kevin was hired. If facilities are upgraded along with the improved inevitable play, we would get our share of top players. He would turn this thing around in a hurry.

Just do it RU. In Hobbs we trust
Actually Boyle is a St. Peter's guy. At least that's where he played his college ball.

Did you not just read the updates that name the final three candidates?

Do you really think Politi knows anything? Other than guesses and things he hears from agents? There is NO way PH lets out ANYTHING that he doesn't want out. Those 3 may be candidates, and one of them may get the job, but it is doubtful that they are the only ones, and it is possible that we may not have even heard the eventual hires name mentioned. I have no inside info but I doubt the way the Ash hire was handled was limited to football. We will hear a real leak when PH is ready.

I totally agree w/the OP. Then, throw money to lure Holloway away from SHU and really start recruiting the area. Boyle's basically been coaching college teams already in a H.S. setting and is probably within our budget.

Boyle also gets "bigs" from over seas. It's becoming easier and easier to say yes to Boyle after so many have said no. Sometimes you fall into the best hire by accident.

Boyle also gets "bigs" from over seas. It's becoming easier and easier to say yes to Boyle after so many have said no. Sometimes you fall into the best hire by accident.
From your mouth to Steve's blog.
RU should have interview Bob Hurley Sr and every other successful HS HC the way some think Boyle is the answer.
Cluess was a successful HS HC for 14 years, he should have the support of those who think Boyle is a good fit.

Last edited:
From your mouth to Steve's blog.
RU should have interview Bob Hurley Sr and every other successful HS HC the way some think Boyle is the answer.
Cluess was a successful HS HC for 14 years, he should have the support of those who think Boule is a good fit.

You mean like the ones zags interviewed who said they would no problem with Boyle and it'd be s good fit? Those coaches? I don't give two rats about what a Hurley thinks.

Sendek or Boyle and go with it. Cluess gets outcoached by Manhattan every other year.

If it's between Cluess or Pikiell, I'm all in on on Boyle now. Still hoping Hobbs pulls a rabbit out of his hat though.

Reactions: studiokane
If it's between Cluess or Pikiell, I'm all in on on Boyle now. Still hoping Hobbs pulls a rabbit out of his hat though.
1348993608397643691.gif

RU needs to take this chance right now!!! I would be stunned if KB does not get it done right now!! Guy is who you turn to when others seem not interested and he falls into your lap because he really is whats needed. I guess I am crazy but I really think he would get it done in huge ways!!!

Warming up to the idea, if not Masiello he'd be my next Then Pikiell.

For the detractors my one question would be, why not? We literally have nothing to lose.

For the detractors my one question would be, why not? We literally have nothing to lose.
He is a high school who has never worked for a college and one that managed to get his team banned from NJ ToC to boot. You guys realize we're in the Big Ten, right? You think we're a laughing stock now? Wait for the fallout if we actually did this. So god damn stupid.

On second thought, it would have the benefit of saving me a lot of money because it would be the final excuse for me walk away after 30+ years of following this team.

Last edited:

We have everything to lose. We would lose the opportunity to build a competitive basketball program within a great hoops conference. We would lose the opportunity to grow our fan base, donations and pride around a winning program. We would lose the fun of attending great games, and watching and supporting really good student athletes, and traveling to NCAA tourney games like I did in 1983. We have everything to lose.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
We have everything to lose. We would lose the opportunity to build a competitive basketball program within a great hoops conference. We would lose the opportunity to grow our fan base, donations and pride around a winning program. We would lose the fun of attending great games, and watching and supporting really good student athletes, and traveling to NCAA tourney games like I did in 1983. We have everything to lose.
Haven't we already lost that?

Fans won't come simply because the players give effort or because a coach is installing a system that stresses fundamentals and defense if we still end up losing by twenty.

We need players that can compete with the better teams in our league. Boyle, supposedly can bring us those types of players.

Some people assume he isn't an excellent x's and o's coach simply because he was a high school coach. But it's not like he was teaching kids a different game or shying away from complex systems just because he was coaching high school instead of college kids. Others with actual coaching expertise will have to shine some light as to whether he has the chops.

The only question is will he do anything that can get us in trouble. I tend to think he will have a foot on the line at all times, but so does every other successful coach out there. As long as he isn't bringing in troubled kids who will eventually get locked up, what are we afraid of? A post-season ban?

What's Boyle's track record in terms of ethics etc.? Doesn't he have some baggage during his highschool career? That would be the biggest risk then. We can't really bottom out any further in terms of results on the court.

Only thing ever reported as a violation or negative from his time at Saint Patrick was illegal practices, practicing as a team with him being there before the season, a NJSIAA violation I believe

I'm pretty sure,he held his own against all those great St. Anthony's teams. Boyle can coach,it's not like running a football program,ala Gerry Faust going to ND and failing. Tim Boyle could get it done, IMHO.

He is a high school who has never worked for a college and one that managed to get his team banned from NJ ToC to boot. You guys realize we're in the Big Ten, right? You think we're a laughing stock now? Wait for the fallout if we actually did this. So god damn stupid.

On second thought, it would have the benefit of saving me a lot of money because it would be the final excuse for me walk away after 30+ years of following this team.
So youre telling me the x's and o's of coaching high level high school and college vary drastically? Name me all the COLLEGE coaches you can name who coached 2 number 1 overall picks in a 5 year span. The list is very short. Boyle will have coached two #1 overall picks in a 5 year span after Ben Simmons goes #1 this year.

A lot of you are showing that you don't know much about basketball when you say that a guy like Boyle wouldn't be able to coach in college.

So youre telling me the x's and o's of coaching high level high school and college vary drastically? Name me all the COLLEGE coaches you can name who coached 2 number 1 overall picks in a 5 year span. The list is very short. Boyle will have coached two #1 overall picks in a 5 year span after Ben Simmons goes #1 this year.

A lot of you are showing that you don't know much about basketball when you say that a guy like Boyle wouldn't be able to coach in college.
He coached 'em up so well, that he developed to number 1 overall picks? I thought he was a great recruiter? You mean he's both? Wow, what a moron I am!

Let him prove it. There are almost 400 Division 1 college basketball teams. If he's that impressive, one should give him a chance and he should take it. If he likes the money he's making now too much well, then he doesn't want to be a college coach that badly because no one is going to hand him a Big Ten level job.

Last edited:
I think i would risk hitting a home run possibility with Boyle and winning the came rather than hoping for a walk with a pinch hitter like Cluess or Pikiell.

What's Boyle's track record in terms of ethics etc.? Doesn't he have some baggage during his highschool career? That would be the biggest risk then. We can't really bottom out any further in terms of results on the court.
If ethics are your thing, then stop watching college basketball.

If the guy is so great why didn't Monmouth hire him over King Rice?
Has anyone here ever watched him coach? He would make Mike Rice look like Cinderella!
He's acts like a clown on the sidelines and during the HBO special on the St. Pats/St. Anthonys rivalry he dropped F---bomb after F----bomb coaching at a Catholic school while knowing he was wired for sound. Also check out his record his first few years at St. Pats. His teams were terrible losing in the Mountain Valley Conference. It wasn't until he recruited Shaheen Hollaway (a great guy by the way) that St. pats even became decent.
This is coming from a St. Pats alum. Boyle would be a total embarrassment to RU and as for me let him stay in his Magic Kingdom in Orlando.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT