ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatt ReClasses to 2018

Hawk, what are our chances here?

The couple of people I trust the most aren't as confident as I am....I'm leery of Jeff Capel and Pitt, because he has a history (Tiny Gallon saga, while he was at Oklahoma) and while RU and others have been recruiting Hyatt for a long time, sometimes that goes out the window.

Louisville didn't hire Chris Mack because he's a nice guy and great coach, Louisville has a "standard" of recruiting.....

Pitt bottoming out under Kevin Stallings and in the toughest conference in America in the ACC, has 2 very good gets for 2018 and Hyatt could be a 3rd one, with a coach specifically hired to raise the talent level, forget or close your eyes on how you get it done.

While Georgia Tech probably is late into the fray, Pastner, is also not a coach known for being a recruiter that doesn't push the line.

Virginia Tech, Seton Hall and Florida State all have excellent coaches and/or revamped staffs, hungry to make a statement.

My confidence comes from the fact that Pike has personally recruited 3 specific recruits as much as his assistants have in Mathis, McConnell and Mulcahy....in all 3 instances, it's very difficult to argue against how much of a priority the player is, when the Head Coach is the one coach involved as a primary piece of the recruiting process vs just an assistant....it doesn't mean other schools will not do the same thing, but it is not that common for a Head Coach to be involved with a random recruit.

The reasons for my best contacts being less skeptical is based on the items above BUT RU would likely be fighting uphill if he stayed in 2019.....it's not to say it could happen, but 2018 helps (As of now), because schools don't all have room and playing time....RU really offers a chance at both, in a primary market close to his NY roots....

What's the timetable looking like here? Would he be reclassifying with a commitment in the near future? Or is he now going to try to let the process play out a little and listen to see who comes calling?

The couple of people I trust the most aren't as confident as I am....I'm leery of Jeff Capel and Pitt, because he has a history (Tiny Gallon saga, while he was at Oklahoma) and while RU and others have been recruiting Hyatt for a long time, sometimes that goes out the window.

Louisville didn't hire Chris Mack because he's a nice guy and great coach, Louisville has a "standard" of recruiting.....

Pitt bottoming out under Kevin Stallings and in the toughest conference in America in the ACC, has 2 very good gets for 2018 and Hyatt could be a 3rd one, with a coach specifically hired to raise the talent level, forget or close your eyes on how you get it done.

While Georgia Tech probably is late into the fray, Pastner, is also not a coach known for being a recruiter that doesn't push the line.

Virginia Tech, Seton Hall and Florida State all have excellent coaches and/or revamped staffs, hungry to make a statement.

My confidence comes from the fact that Pike has personally recruited 3 specific recruits as much as his assistants have in Mathis, McConnell and Mulcahy....in all 3 instances, it's very difficult to argue against how much of a priority the player is, when the Head Coach is the one coach involved as a primary piece of the recruiting process vs just an assistant....it doesn't mean other schools will not do the same thing, but it is not that common for a Head Coach to be involved with a random recruit.

The reasons for my best contacts being less skeptical is based on the items above BUT RU would likely be fighting uphill if he stayed in 2019.....it's not to say it could happen, but 2018 helps (As of now), because schools don't all have room and playing time....RU really offers a chance at both, in a primary market close to his NY roots....

Great recruiter and great coach go hand in hand in the world of today

Ville hired Mack because he has a track record of both and a squeaky clean rep.

If Massoud wanted to come for 2019 and Hyatt for 2018; who do you take? There's only one ship open right now; not both?

It's a great recruiting start when you get multiple 4* players across two classes (Mathis, Mulcahy, Harper Jr) and mixed with a transfer like Young and quality pick ups like McConnell and Shaq Carter.

Massoud is a tough recruit to gauge because you have better academic schools involved.....Hyatt could be trending towards an unofficial bidding war of programs as desperate as anyone else....fortunately Mulcahy committing last week, takes the intensity out of the last ship available....if you didn't have Mulcahy, Hyatt reclassification becomes more intense.

I think we see what happens with this recruitment in June......very exciting but not as drastic as it was 10 days ago....

If Massoud wanted to come for 2019 and Hyatt for 2018; who do you take? There's only one ship open right now; not both?

You find a way to make room.
I would agree but it would be a tough trick to pull off with the roster we have? I couldn’t think of the guy who would want to move or who we would want to move but I guess the answer to my question is you take Hyatt now and see how the season goes to readdress the question?

I would agree but it would be a tough trick to pull off with the roster we have? I couldn’t think of the guy who would want to move or who we would want to move but I guess the answer to my question is you take Hyatt now and see how the season goes to readdress the question?

Take Hyatt and assume someone transfers after the season. Not sure who would transfer but it’s hard to go a whole offseason without one.

Reactions: Scangg and RUJMM78

@NewJerseyHawk ---good post. Geo Baker would also be a player Coach Pikiell personally recruited.

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
Capel's last 2 seasons at Oklahoma were losing ones. A lot of his kids transferred. I thought there was some speculation on one of his assistants as well.

This is well said and nails the essence ..

It's hard to see Louisville having a transfer, then offering Hyatt, then Hyatt reclassifying in the span of a week as a coincidence. Hope I'm wrong.

8 scholarship players at LVille is what I'm hearing

8 scholarship players at LVille is what I'm hearing
UL is a toxic environment for basketball, and it may get worse before it gets better. The FBI is not finished with Louisville. I wouldn't be surprised to see more actions taken against UL. Even recruits have steered clear of Louisville this recruiting cycle. They don't have a single commitment for the 2018 period. I believe they lose four scholarships over the course of 4 years.

UL is a toxic environment for basketball, and it may get worse before it gets better. The FBI is not finished with Louisville. I wouldn't be surprised to see more actions taken against UL. Even recruits have steered clear of Louisville this recruiting cycle. They don't have a single commitment for the 2018 period. I believe they lose four scholarships over the course of 4 years.
And knowing the NCAA I wouldn't be surprised if they did zero going forward.

Look, we don't want to get the reputation for recruiting over people who have not even set foot on campus yet. We are not Dook or UK or Louisville. Great short term strategy--throw 8 or 9 guards into competition and see who shakes out and who transfers. But lousy long-term strategy as RU gets a rep for being untrustworthy, and a guy that signs knows RU probably has a better guy at his position in mind if it falls that way. Just a great way to build relationships and trust with NJ HS coaches. If Hyatt reclassifies--fine, let someone else go after him. We have a lot of guards already; guys that signed in expectation of getting a shot at playing, not being recruited over. Pass.
TL

Look, we don't want to get the reputation for recruiting over people who have not even set foot on campus yet. We are not Dook or UK or Louisville. Great short term strategy--throw 8 or 9 guards into competition and see who shakes out and who transfers. But lousy long-term strategy as RU gets a rep for being untrustworthy, and a guy that signs knows RU probably has a better guy at his position in mind if it falls that way. Just a great way to build relationships and trust with NJ HS coaches. If Hyatt reclassifies--fine, let someone else go after him. We have a lot of guards already; guys that signed in expectation of getting a shot at playing, not being recruited over. Pass.
TL
This silly hypothetical is not a good enough reason to pass on a very talented kid that will help us on the court and in recruiting.

Reactions: Scangg
TL
Hyatt would end up playing the wing or the stretch-4 if he came here, not guard. His main competition would be Harper, Jr. and Thiam. I'm less worried about getting him because I think Harper is going to be better than anyone expects, but at this point the goal is to get talent on campus

Hyatt would end up playing the wing or the stretch-4 if he came here, not guard. His main competition would be Harper, Jr. and Thiam. I'm less worried about getting him because I think Harper is going to be better than anyone expects, but at this point the goal is to get talent on campus
I guess some Rutgers fans think once you get one good player you are supposed to stop recruiting others. Competition is what drives good teams to be better. We always talk about the lack of depth, but now Rutgers may be in a position to have too many good players. Who wouldn't want to be in that position?

TL
What???? This qualifies as one of the dumbest posts ever on this board.

Last edited:
TL

LOL.

We should be and I believe are all in to get Hyatt. Positions mean less and less and I am sure he could see playing time at the 2,3 or 4 depending on match ups and style of play.

This will likely take awhile and it should since the kid should evaluate his new options thoroughly to find the right fit, which hopefully leads him back to the banks.

TL

This is hilarious, we are not at a position to pass on a 4 star recruit because we are afraid of upsetting our lightly recruited incoming freshman. Get real and stop handing out participation trophies

I guess some Rutgers fans think once you get one good player you are supposed to stop recruiting others. Competition is what drives good teams to be better. We always talk about the lack of depth, but now Rutgers may be in a position to have too many good players. Who wouldn't want to be in that position?
The only way Rutgers will break the cycle of losing seasons is with talent capable of winning in the B1G.Yes,that will result in transfers because playing time is very important but that is part of the process of building a winning program.Competition determines who really has the skill set to play in a power conference and right now with all the new players nobody knows which players will step up and be productive performers.

Everyone thinks it's so easy to remove a player with this roster. Well, let's take a look at the projected 2019 roster. Many guys can play multiple positions, but, I'll just slot them in at one spot

Center: Johnson, Duke and Carter.

PF: .Eugene, Harper

SF:. Thiam, Kiss

SG: Mathis, McConnell, Young

PG:. Baker, Mulcahy,

One Open Spot --- Hyatt 2018, Massoud in 2019.

So......where do you get an open spot?. IMO, There are only two logical candidates....The 4th Year Senior can leave as a Grad Transfer, Johnson already redshirted, The True Junior Center can transfer, but, that leaves you with only 2 Centers. Do you really replace a Center with a 6-7" SF.

Kiss already transferred, so he is not transferring again after playing 1 year. Young is coming off a sit out year, so he is not transferring before playing a game. Do you think or want want Mathis, Harper or McConnell to transfer after 1 year ? And, even if it happened it would not be until after the season when most 2019 recruits are already signed.

You don't want your top players to transfer: Baker, Eugene.

So yes, transfers happen, but, with this roster there are no logical candidates like it was with Souf or Bullock or Diallo, or Laurent or Goode.

Imo, when you break it down, there is one possibility...the 4th year Senior as a Grad transfer and if he improves again this year at SF......do you really want to lose him?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUinFla
Everyone thinks it's so easy to remove a player with this roster. Well, let's take a look at the projected 2019 roster. Many guys can play multiple positions, but, I'll just slot them in at one spot

Center: Johnson, Duke and Carter.

PF: .Eugene, Harper

SF:. Thiam, Kiss

SG: Mathis, McConnell, Young

PG:. Baker, Mulcahy,

One Open Spot --- Hyatt, Massoud.

So......where do you get an open spot?. IMO, There are only two logical candidates....The 4th Year Senior can leave as a Grad Transfer, The True Junior Center can transfer, but, that leaves you with only 2 Centers. Do you really replace a Center with a 6-7" SF.

Kiss already transferred, so he is not transferring again. Young is coming off a sit out year, so he is not transferring. Do you think or want want Mathis, Harper or McConnell to transfer after 1 year ?

You don't want your top players to transfer: Baker, Eugene.

So yes, transfers happen, but, with this roster there is no logical candidates like it was with Souf or Bullock.
Got to stop worrying about someone's feelings. Let the cream rise to the top. We have simply never been in a position to experience such events and because we haven't, we fans are freakin out. Some of the players we are holding onto for dear life are good, but some of the new targets are even better.

Reactions: KevH and ScarletNut
Got to stop worrying about someone's feelings. Let the cream rise to the top. We have simply never been in a position to experience such events and because we haven't, we fans are freakin out. Some of the players we are holding onto for dear life are good, but some of the new targets are even better.

And where did I post something about players feelings? All I did was break down the roster, positions and player history (prior transfers).

If that 4th year Senior loses major minutes in this year, he can be a transfer option, but, he could also light it up this year. It is not as easy as some are posting by saying Transfers Always happen.

Once Again.....keep in mind, 2019 recruits like Massoud will probably sign this Fall (that's 5 months)....you won't have a transfer before October/November....unless you over sign. IMO, I think it's Hyatt or Massoud. I prefer Massoud.

Last edited:
----
respectfully disagree..... as much as I would like RU to get to the big dance, I do not support forcing anyone off the team that really wants to be here..

the roster we have now does not seem to have any real dead weight, like before.... each of the players has enough talent to see the floor....

the best you can do, is tell the worst player that he might not see many minutes...... you do this and he can decide to stay or go.

Reactions: biazza38
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT