ADVERTISEMENT

I love Coach Pike but……….

You’re using a non conference schedule littered with bad teams to support yours. When the big ten this year might be the worse it’s been in over a decade. Do we ignore outside of Purdue and Illinois the big ten is just an avg to bad conference?

This is one out of five years.

Also - there were 2 teams like Michigan in the conference that season by the way. There was more parity in the other years. It’s hard to look at it the way you are when we don’t even know the final chapter of 2019-20.

Last edited:
The roster is currently not good enough. It’s that simple. If they had a healthy Mag and J Will all season or Paul and Cam stayed, this team would have been a decent team. Thats on Pike but he is fixing it immediately.
I agree to a point. It is also on the players who are underperforming and in some cases sulking

I hear you! Pike has said the standard at Rutgers is making the tournament.

-Best team Covid year - no tournament played
-Made the tournament (he lost that Houston game)
-Play in game (OT loss out coached)
-Missed tournament
-Missed tournament below 500

Last 5 years regressing significantly

The program is talking about 160k season tickets.
Facilities , arena, school top notch. Nil stepped up and bought the # 2 class in the country. No excuses has to win and win big
Previous 30 years. 0 seasons with a winning conference record in 4 different conferences. 0 NCAA appearances.

Last season, 96% of bracketologists had us in the tournament but the committee contradicted their own criteria.

Got screwed in unprecedented way by 2 senior starters in June with no time to replace. And Mag has essentially quit on the team this year. I guess you can claim Pikiell should have some influence there.

This is one out of five years.
Ok are winning percentage has gone down every year. Our postseason success or inclusion has declined every year. Our development , recruiting , and offense has declined . If you choose to use and out of conference schedule to try and explain away Pikes accountability then have at it

Previous 30 years. 0 seasons with a winning conference record in 3 different conferences. 0 NCAA appearances.
Wake up it’s not 30 years ago. You build an elite program by capitalizing on your teams success year over year. Not by going backwards. We pay coaches well, players well, facilities top notch, arena top 5 and getting upgraded. Win or step aside

Ok are winning percentage has gone down every year. Our postseason success or inclusion has declined every year. Our development , recruiting , and offense has declined . If you choose to use and out of conference schedule to try and explain away Pikes accountability then have at it

Recruiting has declined??? We have the best class in our history coming in next year. Recruiting wasn’t the problem for our frosh class this year either. Gavin disappointed but he was a good recruit and will hopefully turn it around. Davis was a solid recruit.

Recruiting has declined??? We have the best class in our history coming in next year. Recruiting wasn’t the problem for our frosh class this year either. Gavin disappointed but he was a good recruit and will hopefully turn it around. Davis was a solid recruit.
NEXT YEAR! I was referring to the 5 year trend that coincidedes with the declining wins. Gavin was a good recruit on paper but the class was underwhelming coming in. Gavin( player development pike). Has been unplayable and looks as if he couldn’t play for a mid major let alone a power 5.( yes last 3 games have been ok but a 5 star at year end can’t be ok). Davis nice rotation 8 man type player.

I was talking big ten record. It’s an exceedingly dumb take to suggest 3 years with no material difference in record indicates a trend.
We know though thanks to analytics that record is not the best judge of quality or predictor of success.

Last edited:
NEXT YEAR! I was referring to the 5 year trend that coincidedes with the declining wins. Gavin was a good recruit on paper but the class was underwhelming coming in. Gavin( player development pike). Has been unplayable and looks as if he couldn’t play for a mid major let alone a power 5.( yes last 3 games have been ok but a 5 star at year end can’t be ok). Davis nice rotation 8 man type player.
I don’t think it was a terrible class. If we hadn’t lost Cam and Paul this season would’ve gone fine. There was really only one bust year and it was more because of the super senior situation and not having room. Jalen Miller was a bust. The following year - Simpson and Wolf we’re ok. Not great but they would’ve been fine if we had Paul and Cam too.

If you swap Chol and Austin Williams for Paul and Cam this is a much better season.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I don’t think it was a terrible class. If we hadn’t lost Cam and Paul this season would’ve gone fine. There was really only one bust year and it was more because of the super senior situation and not having room. Jalen Miller was a bust. The following year - Simpson and Wolf were ok. Not great but they would’ve been fine if we had Paul and Cam too.
Development? Wolfe lost weight and minutes and can’t catch the ball and may be allergic to rebounds. Simpson was our best player the last 8 games of the year and in the big ten tournament and now can’t throw the ball in the ocean his defense and rebounding has improved. Cliff never developed after his sophomore year.

You continue add to Pikes problems . Prior to Gavin, Jayden Jones was our highest recruit. How did that development go?

Let's agree to disagree. The program by any measure has declined over the last 5 years. Next years promise is real and exciting. That’s why I started all of this with if Pike doesn’t win and win big next year his job should be questioned.

Pike should be and is on the hot seat. He needs to have a big year next season or he should be gone. Simple
Yea, maybe we could steal Mike Woodson from Indiana. Finished 3 spots higher than us in the Big Ten, must be a genius. Hows his recruiting class going btw with their $100 million dollar NIL budget

Reactions: shields and Scangg
Yea, maybe we could steal Mike Woodson from Indiana. Finished 3 spots higher than us in the Big Ten, must be a genius. Hows his recruiting class going btw with their $100 million dollar NIL budget
I’ll take Chris Collins who already has coached in NJ. Also I don’t think Woodson had a brother legacy or godfather on his staff.

I’ll take Chris Collins who already has coached in NJ. Also I don’t think Woodson had a brother legacy or godfather on his staff.
Chris Collins made the tournament in his fourth season at Northwestern and then followed that up with 5 straight losing seasons.

Maybe if Woodson “had a brother legacy or a godfather on his staff” he’d have more than 0 recruits committed for 2024.

Reactions: Scangg
Chris Collins made the tournament in his fourth season at Northwestern and then followed that up with 5 straight losing seasons.

Maybe if Woodson “had a brother legacy or a godfather on his staff” he’d have more than 0 recruits committed for 2024.
Would take him tomorrow! After this year he’ll have 3 tournament appearances and trending positively last 4 seasons. Pike has one and the play in game in 10 years.

As far as woodson he has had far more success then Pike and IS on the hot seat in Indiana because he isn’t winning enough. His top 10/11 recruit just recommitted in the last 3 days. His recruiting since he joined Indiana has been better than Pike.

Hilarious for him to be saying he wants Collins who had 4 straight losing seasons but can't give Pike a pass for 1

Imagine trying to argue RU program heading in the wrong direction when we are bringing in the 2nd ranked recruiting class in the country and the #2 and #3 overall recruits in the country

Rutgers basketball is trending up. One down year where we lost a late decommit and 2 senior starters leave after the portal closed doesn't change that

Would take him tomorrow! After this year he’ll have 3 tournament appearances and trending positively last 4 seasons. Pike has one and the play in game in 10 years.

As far as woodson he has had far more success then Pike and IS on the hot seat in Indiana because he isn’t winning enough. His top 10/11 recruit just recommitted in the last 3 days. His recruiting since he joined Indiana has been better than Pike.
He’s been there 11 years, has the same number of tournament appearances (will have one more after this year) one more tournament win, and the same number of winning seasons that Pike has in 8 years.

If we are going by the standard you set for Pike then Northwestern should have fired Chris Collins in 2019.

Pike is doing things we haven't seen at Rutgers since the 70s

The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

Wake up it’s not 30 years ago. You build an elite program by capitalizing on your teams success year over year. Not by going backwards. We pay coaches well, players well, facilities top notch, arena top 5 and getting upgraded. Win or step aside
The RAC Arena isn't top five.Its old and needs a major upgrade which won't happen for at least two years.The fan impact has lessened with a team that lacks shooters.

Hilarious for him to be saying he wants Collins who had 4 straight losing seasons but can't give Pike a pass for 1

Imagine trying to argue RU program heading in the wrong direction when we are bringing in the 2nd ranked recruiting class in the country and the #2 and #3 overall recruits in the country

Rutgers basketball is trending up. One down year where we lost a late decommit and 2 senior starters leave after the portal closed doesn't change that
Better x and o coach ! What he has done at NW harder and more impressive then Pikes turn around here. 5 straight declining seasons coming off a complete meltdown followed by below 500. I agree about next year and the optimism but is anyone positive Pike can get it done ? I hope so

Five straight losing seasons. In years 5 through 9 of his tenure at Northwestern.

15-17, 10th place
13-19, 14th place
8-23, 13th place
9-15, 12th place
15-16, 10th place

He’s been there 11 years, has the same number of tournament appearances (will have one more after this year) one more tournament win, and the same number of winning seasons that Pike has in 8 years.

If we are going by the standard you set for Pike then Northwestern should have fired Chris Collins in 2019.
How many times in NW history had they made the tournament prior to Chris Collins?????? What he did and is doing is far more impressive than what Pike has done. Pike has the advantage in everything when it comes to the program over NW. so yes his 3 appearances over our 1 and play in game is impressive. We wax poetic with since the 1980’s or the 70’s team . NW had zero success to speak of before Collins. So yes I would take him

How many times in NW history had they made the tournament prior to Chris Collins?????? What he did and is doing is far more impressive than what Pike has done. Pike has the advantage in everything when it comes to the program over NW. so yes his 3 appearances over our 1 and play in game is impressive. We wax poetic with since the 1980’s or the 70’s team . NW had zero success to speak of before Collins. So yes I would take him
Two. It’s two appearances.

I’m not arguing anything Chris Collins has done there isn’t impressive. I just think it’s hilarious that you are referring to the past two years where we made the tournament and just missed the tournament as “declining years” and then go on to say you’d gladly take a coach whose teams performed significantly worse at the same point in his tenure as Pike currently is.

• Love
Better x and o coach ! What he has done at NW harder and more impressive then Pikes turn around here. 5 straight declining seasons coming off a complete meltdown followed by below 500. I agree about next year and the optimism but is anyone positive Pike can get it done ? I hope so
It's the most anticipated season in Rutgers history. Stop wasting your time on potential disaster scenarios and enjoy it. He's done a lot more with a lot less talent. Assuming failure with elite studs is agenda driven. Nothing more

Get on board and root for Pike

If next season is a disaster, there will be plenty of time to rip Pike then

I’m not arguing anything Chris Collins has done there isn’t impressive. I just think it’s hilarious that you are referring to the past two years where we made the tournament and just missed the tournament as “declining years” and then go on to say you’d gladly take a coach whose teams performed significantly worse at the same point in his tenure as Pike currently is.
Fair! I am definitely holding Pike to a higher standard because it’s my school one that I love. One that I love and die for . Donate money time and energy and my goal isn’t to be better the ln NW or finish in the bottom of the standings. All the excuses about big time basketball for this coach and staff are gone. Win or we make a change. The program has evolved credit to Pike but I don’t believe he is the guy to take us to the next level. I pray I am wrong

It's the most anticipated season in Rutgers history. Stop wasting your time on potential disaster scenarios and enjoy it. He's done a lot more with a lot less talent. Assuming failure with elite studs is agenda driven. Nothing more

Get on board and root for Pike

If next season is a disaster, there will be plenty of time to rip Pike then
Train ticket bought! I am on board

Give It To Me Want GIF

This is how he is coming across

Reactions: cm_13 and Kbee3
Not even close. Northwestern was 12-24 in conference the two years prior to Collins taking over, Rutgers was 3-33 before Steve took over. He started in a far deeper hole.

He's the only coach in 30 years to get us to the tourney. Don't really care what your opinion of him is. He's the best we've had since the early 80s.
Our past should not and does not limit our future, a lot of reasons for our past limitations no longer exist. Your expectations should not be a free pass to underperformance.
We are in a great conference have great facilities and are in the middle of the best recruiting turf in the country.
The comparisons to the past don’t hold water. It’s backwards logic.
The future is now, here we are another March outside looking in!!! It’s on Pike, no excuse, and it’s unacceptable!!!!

Our past should not and does not limit our future, a lot of reasons for our past limitations no longer exist. Your expectations should not be a free pass to underperformance.
We are in a great conference have great facilities and are in the middle of the best recruiting turf in the country.

Does conference, facilities and Piscataway location matter either in the age of NIL? Blame it on Pike but isn't it really about available $$$ to get and retain stud players?

Reactions: Fat Koko
Development? Wolfe lost weight and minutes and can’t catch the ball and may be allergic to rebounds. Simpson was our best player the last 8 games of the year and in the big ten tournament and now can’t throw the ball in the ocean his defense and rebounding has improved. Cliff never developed after his sophomore year.

You continue add to Pikes problems . Prior to Gavin, Jayden Jones was our highest recruit. How did that development go?

Let's agree to disagree. The program by any measure has declined over the last 5 years. Next years promise is real and exciting. That’s why I started all of this with if Pike doesn’t win and win big next year his job should be questioned.
This is fair we just need to wait and see what happens next year.

The future is now, here we are another March outside looking in!!! It’s on Pike, no excuse, and it’s unacceptable!!!!
One year around .500 isn't the end of the world. Much better programs than Rutgers have seasons like this occasionally

We are bringing in a class that is beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Relax

Reactions: RUsojo
What should be concerning is how big an outlier could our 2024 recruiting class be?

Recruiting has been terrible. We lucked into two significant family relationships of 5 star kids that allowed Rutgers to be in the picture (and did a good job securing them). We are in for some high rated kids beyond 2024 but if we step back there is not much reason to believe we will succeed without significant recruiting ins.

Even Gavin was a significant personal tie in.
Not another person pushing the "Gavin came cause Pike was friends with his dad" take. Its not true. And if the coaches aren't allowed to be praised for recruiting because of connections, then what coach can be commended for their recruiting? We need to def strike while the iron is hot, and it seems like we have some decent connections with the 2025 class. I trust Pike.

Sure, our past should not limit our future. But thinking we should be immune from having a down year here and there because we had a brief period of success after 30 years of mediocrity (to put it kindly) is completely unrealistic.

Reactions: shields
One year around .500 isn't the end of the world. Much better programs than Rutgers have seasons like this occasionally

We are bringing in a class that is beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Relax
It has been a bad year! If he doesn’t fix this year’s shortcomings the 2 new guys are not going to be enough.
Let’s look at this, grading Pike on this year.
Roster management D
Team chemistry management, accountability D
Coaching staff management D
Offense F
Defense C, lack of consistency
Rebounding D
Lineup playing time, substituons D
Player development D
Game planning D-
Needs to move these into c and B’s at a minimum!
I relax plenty, if your asking me not to express my concerns and objectivity look at the coaching job done this year, thanks, however I am compelled to disregard your suggestion.
No disrespect.

Sure, our past should not limit our future. But thinking we should be immune from having a down year here and there because we had a brief period of success after 30 years of mediocrity (to put it kindly) is completely unrealistic.
I believe my above response covers this.
Just a suggestion ,
Be careful with words like “completely “

I’m good, thanks though.
No worries understood, not trying to flame just trying to have a discussion on a discussion board as a fan since 1980, letter winner and graduate. Rutgers is more important to me than pretending Pike did a great job this season.
I hope he kills it next season.

Reactions: rucoe89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT