ADVERTISEMENT

If not G'town, an interesting landing spot for Spencer would be...

It has to be Georgetown. He’d be so foolish to go somewhere not in his home Maryland radius. He had a good thing going at Rutgers and lots of post college possibilities that Pike could’ve helped with whenever he was done playing. He’s taking a big chance here. Sure - he gets a one time $90k inflow - but let’s say he suffers an injury that hampers his next season but sucks up his eligibility. He has no brand then at his next destination. He’s not a priority for the one year rental coach. He’s on his own to build his post play career from ground zero then. I guess kids just don’t see past the immediate present.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Brian Fonseca thinks these 5 schools are possible destinations for Cam: Georgetown/ Michigan / Indiana/ UConn / Creighton. Looks like Big East or Big 10.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Indiana lol. He didn’t let Rutgers even counter. F that guy
Possibly he had more than one conversation about NIL with RU and we said that was as far as we could go
Then better offers surfaced and he did not want RU to counter because he felt he was not being taken seriously enough
A slight attitude thing

If he got an outside offer from some team looking to poach him, and then went somewhere else anyway for an even bigger offer, at least that first team doesn't get to benefit from their tampering.

Hopefully when all the dominoes have fallen before the season starts, we won't have a significant drop off in performance this season... And if we do, hopefully the 2024 commits will stay committed, and hopefully they'll sign during the November early signing period... They can still decommit, but it'll require a little more paperwork and RU approval... Obviously things have changed in the past month or two, and Cliff's decision is still pending too..

I'm ashamed to admit this, but at least right now, I'm afraid that my interest in following college basketball may actually be a little greater because I may have a rooting interest for whoever is playing against Georgia Tech, and for whoever is playing against other schools that may have successfully poached our top players and commits.... I realize that's being petty and spiteful.. Can't help it though. Hopefully I'll change soon and become a better person....

It's one thing if a player isn't happy at a school or leaves for more playing time, etc, but it's a little harder to root for the player and his new team in the future when it screws our program, like in the case of Hobbs convincing Ndongo to decommit after Hobbs was paid good money by Rutgers to recruit Ndongo to Rutgers, and Cam choosing to leave so late in the recruiting cycle... I know that this type of stuff happens often, but still.... And obviously it's one thing if a player enters the portal searching for greener pastures, but it's another thing if he wasn't thinking about a transfer, but improper tampering by a particular school's representative changed his mind... (Obviously I don't know whether that applies to Spencer's late portal entry or not...).... I know we just have to wait and see how the team fares when the final roster is set, and maybe lemonade will be made from lemons if other new players are able to step up and contribute sooner, but stuff like this still makes it a little harder to feel quite as optimistic as before.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Anybody here would do the same thing. Can't blaime the guy for looking out for his future. Not like he's going to tge NBA.
He apparently didn’t give a chance to match, so no, not anyone here would do the same thing.

Cooley gonna Cooley though.

Reactions: RUChoppin
He apparently didn’t give a chance to match, so no, not anyone here would do the same thing.

Cooley gonna Cooley though.
Lol you don't have to warn me about Cooley. But unfortunately this is the way things are done now. You better make sure all you're players are happy. I like Pikell but he got caught sleeping on this one.

Reactions: GORU2014
Lol you don't have to warn me about Cooley. But unfortunately this is the way things are done now. You better make sure all you're players are happy. I like Pikell but he got caught sleeping on this one.
Agree on that. It is what it is, probably a good lesson for everyone involved. Still very unhappy with Cam mostly based on timing

When are we going to learn that you have to do what it takes to win? Dog eat dog. Take nothing for granted. Rutgers is a soft touch. How can Cam not be here next season? Wasn’t one of the big reasons that Cam was a good candidate for us was that he could shoot and had lots of intangibles and had two years of eligibility?

All players are now one and done. The best part of college basketball - watching a guy develop over 4 years - is over. Now every game it’s gonna be “didn’t that guy play for us 3 years ago?”

Possibly he had more than one conversation about NIL with RU and we said that was as far as we could go
Then better offers surfaced and he did not want RU to counter because he felt he was not being taken seriously enough
A slight attitude thing
Not according to reports . There was no conversation never mind more than one.

Not according to reports . There was no conversation never mind more than one.
I should clarify that there was probably a conversation or two early on, not now, and he was given a NIL deal that was not enough
all players of worth have a NIL in place, he also, one would think
he had to have an offered NIL months ago
yes, it is well documented that he did not want to discuss it any further recently as you say

Last edited:
All players are now one and done. The best part of college basketball - watching a guy develop over 4 years - is over. Now every game it’s gonna be “didn’t that guy play for us 3 years ago?”
And on the flip side, schools are processing more players out as well. It’s a two edged sword. On one hand we a pissed when a guy leaves to upgrade, but we look favorably on three guys leaving so we can upgrade….the whole model has changed.

As long as we don’t become a farm team of the big boys like the Kansas City A’s of the late 1950‘s became for the Yankees.

Reactions: ChasRC69
When are we going to learn that you have to do what it takes to win? Dog eat dog. Take nothing for granted. Rutgers is a soft touch. How can Cam not be here next season? Wasn’t one of the big reasons that Cam was a good candidate for us was that he could shoot and had lots of intangibles and had two years of eligibility?
but after proving himself on a bigger stage then he had at LOM Cam decided to go for the cash and since RU's NIL money wasn't top dollar ,Spencer decided to leave RU and go for the a program that offered more cash than Rutgers could afford.
Cam Spencer is doing what he feels best for himself now, just like he did when he left LOM.

Who cares…let the journeyman travel. Wherever he lands hope he doesn’t have to handle, just spot up and shoot.

but after proving himself on a bigger stage then he had at LOM Cam decided to go for the cash and since RU's NIL money wasn't top dollar ,Spencer decided to leave RU and go for the a program that offered more cash than Rutgers could afford.
Cam Spencer is doing what he feels best for himself now, just like he did when he left LOM.
20/20 hindsight. The Rutgers program has to anticipate the rationale you just provided and do what it takes to keep proven contributors in the fold. Just from the timing of his departure you have to admit we were caught with our pants down.

20/20 hindsight. The Rutgers program has to anticipate the rationale you just provided and do what it takes to keep proven contributors in the fold. Just from the timing of his departure you have to admit we were caught with our pants down.
Rutgers can anticipate players leaving because of the price is right NIL deals, but if they can't pay what it takes, all the anticipation in the world won't keep the player unless his/her connection to Rutgers is unbreakable.

I believe RU knows what it takes to keep it's players and does keep those they can .
But money talks louder to some and until Rutgers has a great NIL financial backing. some on the roster can't be stopped from going for gold instead of sticking to Scarlet

It has to be Georgetown. He’d be so foolish to go somewhere not in his home Maryland radius. He had a good thing going at Rutgers and lots of post college possibilities that Pike could’ve helped with whenever he was done playing. He’s taking a big chance here. Sure - he gets a one time $90k inflow - but let’s say he suffers an injury that hampers his next season but sucks up his eligibility. He has no brand then at his next destination. He’s not a priority for the one year rental coach. He’s on his own to build his post play career from ground zero then. I guess kids just don’t see past the immediate present.
More like $250k

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT