ADVERTISEMENT

Is Simpson Around Next Season?

sport2231

All Conference
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2007
I’m struggling to see a way he stays.

Small guard who is already being passed by freshman on this current roster, with Harper coming in

he plays pretty good d and every once in awhile he makes a nice drive but he can’t shoot, his handle is weak and he doesn’t have a high bbball IQ. Right now Davis and Noah are clearly ahead of him. Maybe coming off the bench will relax him a little but his roll moving forward is a little blurry

Derek Simpson is in a slump. He'll bounce out of it. He's a speedy guard with great burst, he's already had a few good games this year, he saved our a$$es plenty last year, and he is an even better dude off the court. Jersey born & bred. He'll be fine. He'll bounce back. And he loves Rutgers. He's goin' nowhere.

It’s not just strength, it’s strength with the ball. Extremely tentative right now, like he’s expecting to get the ball stripped or his shot blocked.

How about let's let the season play out (or at least hit mid way through conference play) before talking about transfers?
I asked a basic question in the midst of a basketball season about a player on our team. I didn’t disparage him in a way I think was extreme.

I remember last season when he had that half against I believe it was Indiana where he was anointed a super star.

I guess I am most curious because he isn’t passing the eye test for me. It’s one thing to look small, it’s another to play small.

I’m not a big guy, but I’m also not small. It was remarkable to me to go up against guys similar to my size that simply played so much bigger and stronger then me then I expected if you compared our measurables. It’s why I’m an internet keyboard warrior. Lol

In addition, my sense is Pike looked at the last two games and said he needed to start giving minutes to the guys that are getting it done

Simpson might be in a “slump”, but he might not have a chance to get out of it on this roster if Davis takes control

I like him as bench guy for now
Don’t disagree. Just don’t see him wanting to be a bench guy

Pre NIL I wouldn’t have asked this question. Now I just have a tough time seeing a good player like Simpson not exploring his options

I’m not suggesting he isn’t good, or even a Big Ten player. I’m just wondering how he fits in 2024 if Davis is already getting that much more run then him

Don’t disagree. Just don’t see him wanting to be a bench guy

Pre NIL I wouldn’t have asked this question. Now I just have a tough time seeing a good player like Simpson not exploring his options

I’m not suggesting he isn’t good, or even a Big Ten player. I’m just wondering how he fits in 2024 if Davis is already getting that much more run then him
Dumbest thread ever. Not even 10 games in.

he plays pretty good d and every once in awhile he makes a nice drive but he can’t shoot, his handle is weak and he doesn’t have a high bbball IQ. Right now Davis and Noah are clearly ahead of him. Maybe coming off the bench will relax him a little but his roll moving forward is a little blurry
Noticeable difference between jamike and simpson tonight handling SHU ball pressure

Dumbest thread ever. Not even 10 games in.
Great. I donate my money to the Knights of the Raritan and literally have no loyalty beyond that to any individual player.

Im happy they get paid but my biggest concern is how we can put the best team on the court or field.

If Simpson is one of those guys next year im thrilled. I literally don’t give a fvck who the players are that bring a us to a Championship. I’m just interested in having a conversation now.

But if game 11 is your benchmark we can talk again then

He had an awful game, buts it's one game. He'll have his moments this year
He scored the first bucket after the team went through a five minute scoring drought in the second half. The bucket was an important change in momentum. He looked aggressive on that play going to the basket.

But I agree that in general he has been tentative… perhaps unselfish in a way. It was only a year ago that he was anointed a better Geo (including by Geo himself).

Last edited:
Wait I thought he was supposed to replace Mulcahy

you people ran Mulcahy out of town. Rutgers has a history of racism. And that’s not all with DEI, Evan Simon has transferred, call or click now

Last edited:
Needs to stick with it. No player is guaranteed a start except Cliff. Derek needs to tap some of that play he showed last season.

Small? I wish I was small. He's 6'3", but needs some bulk. He was maybe our best player last six games last year.
You and I don’t play college basketball.

Definition of small is different in the two worlds

I also didn’t say short. I said small

I would argue Cliff is small. If he wasn’t he would a no brainer NBA player. He is tall, long and athletic but he plays small for those measurables

Who knows what will happen - some of these guys have an opportunity to make some decent money with NIL, and others will be displaced because of what NIL money brings in. I don't fault anyone leaving for a better situation for them - of course on the flip side I don't think you are improving your product for the fans. As far as Simpson goes it certainly is an interesting situation with what is coming in next year. That being said, as others have written - let's all wait to see how things not only end up at the end of the year for him, but also who is leaving and who is coming in with the wonderful world of NIL.

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
Great. I donate my money to the Knights of the Raritan and literally have no loyalty beyond that to any individual player.

Im happy they get paid but my biggest concern is how we can put the best team on the court or field.

If Simpson is one of those guys next year im thrilled. I literally don’t give a fvck who the players are that bring a us to a Championship. I’m just interested in having a conversation now.

But if game 11 is your benchmark we can talk again then
Dude, with graduation and new players we will have 4 guards - Davis, Simpson, Harper and Williams. All of them will be needed to contribute. Actually, probably need a 5th guard because it is so important in the college game.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock
So, um, yeah, at the end of the day, Rutgers two best players, that happen to be Caucasian, transfer?

You are clueless Rutgers has DEI policies

Typical leftist shout me down

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT