ADVERTISEMENT

Is Simpson Around Next Season?

An argument can be made, too, about how much better he's going to get defensively going up against the 292nd ranked adjusted offensive efficiency in the country in practice.

Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

I blame Pike for what I'm watching from Simpson. He has talent. Most of his drives involve him just throwing up garbage and his long 2's are terrible.

For YEARS, guys have been allowed to basically take any shot they want under Pike. It's like he closes his eyes when we're on offense and waits for us to be playing defense.

Reactions: Scangg and kcg88
Simpson is now something like 40% of the way through his career. We're not talking about a freshman in his first semester. And the debate isn't about playing him this year -- I think everyone recognizes we don't have much of a choice, and I think everyone would prefer him over Noah.

The debate is over whether it makes sense to continue with him or try to bring in a transfer or even another freshman... it doesn't even necessarily need to be a highly-rated one. John Blackwell on Wisconsin was outside the top 200 recruiting rankings and is a better player as a freshman than Simpson is as a sophomore.

Through one and a half years Simpson's 2P% is 35.3 and his 3P% is 25.5%. The long-term outlook for someone who shoots like that just isn't good.

Boo Buie was extremely inefficient early in his career. But he was 41.9% from 2 and 32.1% from 3.

Geo Baker was not exactly the model of efficiency early on. His numbers were 38.1% and 35.0%.

You can build on those numbers. I don't know that you can take a guy who is a 35%/25% 2P/3P shooter this far into his career and wind up with a guy who affects winning. Pick any player you want who was bad early but got better and I guarantee you their base performance was better than Derek's.
Nailed it. 40% through his career and his shooting numbers are down from a bad shooting freshman year

Aren't players supposed to make their biggest jump between freshmen and sophomore year?

He's one of the least efficient shooters in basketball. What are the odds he turns that completely around? It seems to be more wishcasting than forecasting at this point

Yes players need to play to develop, but are we saying we need to play Derek for 3 years to get 1 good senior year out of him? It's not worth the investment at that price if that is the case

I need to see him figure out how to hit mid range jumpers consistently if he's going to continue to take them and/or learn how to fish at the rim and I want to see it happen this season. If he continues being elite level inefficient, I don't want to risk relying on an improved junior season. Next season is too important

Another option would be become a pass first distributing guard who focusing on penetrating with the intent to dish, but that doesn't seem to be in his nature

Reactions: kcg88
You can build on those numbers. I don't know that you can take a guy who is a 35%/25% 2P/3P shooter this far into his career and wind up with a guy who affects winning. Pick any player you want who was bad early but got better and I guarantee you their base performance was better than Derek's.
Maybe there's at least a chance that Derek can progress similarly to how Jacob did... Most of you know this, but Jacob Young didn't shoot very well his first year at Texas but improved up to his best year which was his final year playing for Rutgers before he transferred to Oregon... Granted, he didn't regress during his second year at Texas, but his shooting improved more later in that season.

First year Texas: 33 games, 16.4 Min, 3.7PPG, 28.7% FG, 22.7% 3PT

Second year Texas: 30 games, 16.8 Min, 6.2PPG, 41.3% FG, 32.3% 3PT
(Through first 18 games that season, equivalent to where Derek is as of this date, he shot 38.7%FG, 28.6% 3PT. From game 19 on he shot 44.3%FG, 36.4% 3PT.)

Fourth year Rutgers: 28 games, 30.1 Min, 14.1 PPG, 46.9% FG, 36.9% 3PT

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
Nailed it. 40% through his career and his shooting numbers are down from a bad shooting freshman year

Aren't players supposed to make their biggest jump between freshmen and sophomore year?

He's one of the least efficient shooters in basketball. What are the odds he turns that completely around? It seems to be more wishcasting than forecasting at this point

Yes players need to play to develop, but are we saying we need to play Derek for 3 years to get 1 good senior year out of him? It's not worth the investment at that price if that is the case

I need to see him figure out how to hit mid range jumpers consistently if he's going to continue to take them and/or learn how to fish at the rim and I want to see it happen this season. If he continues being elite level inefficient, I don't want to risk relying on an improved junior season. Next season is too important

Another option would be become a pass first distributing guard who focusing on penetrating with the intent to dish, but that doesn't seem to be in his nature
Simpson’s shooting is a concern, but the entire RU team can’t shoot. The better teams in the league all have 3 starting guards each of whom shoots well over 40% from the field. RU’s guards all shoot below 35% except Williams. The hope for Simpson is Boo Buie. He had Simpson-like numbers as a freshman, regressed slightly as a sophomore and now is one of the elite guards in the Big 10 shooting 43% and scoring 18 ppg.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Simpson’s shooting is a concern, but the entire RU team can’t shoot. The better teams in the league all have 3 starting guards each of whom shoots well over 40% from the field. RU’s guards all shoot below 35% except Williams. The hope for Simpson is Boo Buie. He had Simpson-like numbers as a freshman, regressed slightly as a sophomore and now is one of the elite guards in the Big 10 shooting 43% and scoring 18 ppg.
Fingers crossed, but Buie never shot as poorly as Derek. Simpson really needs to take S&C seriously and come back with a grown man's body next year too

Reactions: kcg88
Fingers crossed, but Buie never shot as poorly as Derek. Simpson really needs to take S&C seriously and come back with a grown man's body next year too
Buie also shot a lot more than Simpson and being willing to shoot threes is actually a decent indicator that a guy is a decent shooter.

I hope he is around. He seems to be emerging as the team leader. We have to hope that Ace and Dylan respect his experience and allow him to continue to lead.

Reactions: G- RUnit
I hope he is around. He seems to be emerging as the team leader. We have to hope that Ace and Dylan respect his experience and allow him to continue to lead.
They’ll respect him but they will also be the ones who stir the drink next season These players are numbers 2-3 in the country , 5* blue chip guys who will be joined by JMike and Griffiths… Derek will either be first or 2nd off the bench. Unless he improves overall this would be his role . Could be a Geo Baker type but he needs to shoot much better from outside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT