ADVERTISEMENT

Is Simpson Around Next Season?

Currently our top 3 scorers are forwards/center. Hyatt at 12.2, Omoruyi at 10.8, and Mag at 10.5... with Simpson at 9.5, and Fernandes at 7.7

The only time in the last 30 years where we've had a season without a guard in the top three scorers was 2010-11 in Mike Rice's first year. Mitchell 14.4, Biruta 9.6, Miller 9.2... with Beatty/Coburn tied for fourth at 8.8.

Reactions: malaka27
It's a tough call. Simpson is our most seniored and experienced guard in Pike's system which is tough to lose into 24-25, so for the team it's better he stays but JMike and Derek play a way too similar game and skill set so it would be hard to keep both. JMike isn't going anywhere with Ace here next year. It's either Simpson adjusts his game and role this season into next or I could see him transferring, we don't need 2 of a similar skill set guards.

I definitely don’t hate this. Worst case scenario we bring in guys who play at the same level as these two, but also possible that we find a quality transfer that upgrades the roster. Neither one of these two looks any different than last year, Simpson’s shot has not improved at all.

Reactions: biazza38
I definitely don’t hate this. Worst case scenario we bring in guys who play at the same level as these two, but also possible that we find a quality transfer that upgrades the roster. Neither one of these two looks any different than last year, Simpson’s shot has not improved at all.
Simpson shooting...

10% worse from 2 this season 42.5 to 32.5% 😵

10% better from 3 (still only 31%)

5% worse overall... 32.1%

This includes the OOC cupcakes as well...

Still a lot of season left to turn it around, but if he doesn't... it is very concerning to say the least

Reactions: malaka27 and RAC93
Simpson shooting...

Still a lot of season left to turn it around, but if he doesn't... it is very concerning to say the least
The other thing that bothers me is that physically he looks no different. I don’t see evidence of a S&C program that has bulked him up. He looks as skinny as he ever did. Maybe I am wrong and he is bigger, but I expected these things to take a leap this year: decision making/running the offense, shooting, and a little more bulk on him. It’s really hard to see how any of these 3 things have happened thus far this year.

• Sad
Reactions: biazza38 and Scangg
The other thing that bothers me is that physically he looks no different. I don’t see evidence of a S&C program that has bulked him up. He looks as skinny as he ever did. Maybe I am wrong and he is bigger, but I expected these things to take a leap this year: decision making/running the offense, shooting, and a little more bulk on him. It’s really hard to see how any of these 3 things have happened thus far this year.
From the Princeton game I wondered about this. That guard from Princeton was abusing RU guards all game. I thought to myself this is a sophomore that looks like he was in the weight room and working on his game all off season. You have to put that work in the weight room in unless you're Kevin Durant.

If Simpson could take contact at the rim and finish he would be an all big ten player but he’s not strong enough. His lack of strength is what is holding him back the most IMO. He tries to make up for his lack of strength by taking tougher shots to avoid contact which negatively affects his shooting %

Simpson shooting...

May also need to factor in that he's trying to do too much because of how poor this team is on offense.

Think the biggest factor to whether he stays is who Pike brings in for the '25 class. If it's another elite guard, I'm not sure he's going to want to spend his last two years coming off the bench.

Man, some of you guys are tough.

I want Simpson and Woolf both back 100% next season. They are Rutgers men, both have flashed, and both will have another year of development under their belts. They will also be playing with two NBA lottery picks which will instantly make them better. Derek isn't going to shoot at a much higher % when other teams are keying on Ace and Dylan? Having time and space will make damn near any player better at shooting and finishing. He's a great FT shooter so the woes are a lot more about shot selection out of a necessity than they would be if he was able to let the game come to him more.

And yes it's very possible they both come off the bench. I like a starting five of 1) Dylan 2) Williams 3) Ace 4) Mag 5) Cliff/Somerville/Transfer. Derek and Woolf coming off the bench are both great options and you can't expect to do much better in the portal. Plus they know the culture and can help lead by example for all the new guys. Turning your roster over year after year is a really bad long term solution unless you have NIL money for days and can pay up for top players year after year.

Reactions: satnom
I agree. Our guard room next year should be:

Harper
Williams
Davis
Transfer

If we end up with Simpson and not a transfer then I will be very bearish on our chances to do much next season.
Understood but what impact transfer you expecting to land there if they aren’t guaranteed to start ? (If Williams is as advertised)

Understood but what impact transfer you expecting to land there if they aren’t guaranteed to start ? (If Williams is as advertised)
I basically think Jeremiah Williams will be, like an acceptable Big Ten rotation player. Better than what we have now but that's not saying a lot.

Transfers chase good opportunities (and money). Cam Spencer joined a team with Tristen Newton, Hasan Diarra, and a top 10 recruit in the backcourt. Villanova got TJ Bamba when they already had Mark Armstrong and Justin Moore.

We have a starter role at 2G available for next year - it is not locked up by anyone right now. If there were a shooter in the portal with size, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't try to grab him or why he'd be hesitant to commit based on the existing competition at that position.

And I'm sure Williams/Spencer/Davis are aware there may be other competition for 2G minutes alongside Harper next year, and it's their job to be better than the other options and earn that time.

Reactions: satnom and Scangg
Another question is how much NIL is left for any potential bigtime transfer?

Is all the money already spent on Ace Dylan and the rest?

Is there really unlimited NIL to throw at portal studs?

I basically think Jeremiah Williams will be, like an acceptable Big Ten rotation player. Better than what we have now but that's not saying a lot.

Transfers chase good opportunities (and money). Cam Spencer joined a team with Tristen Newton, Hasan Diarra, and a top 10 recruit in the backcourt. Villanova got TJ Bamba when they already had Mark Armstrong and Justin Moore.
Spencer also got an absolute bag. We do not have that

Another question is how much NIL is left for any potential bigtime transfer?

Is all the money already spent on Ace Dylan and the rest?

Is there really unlimited NIL to throw at portal studs?
I’m sensing Ace and Harper are bought and paid for by means outside of the normal NIL funds.

I’ve said it before, and I’m sticking to it. I don’t think you have to be the highest bidder to get 1-2 NBA fringe players to come to Rutgers next year for an extra year to compliment Ace and Bailey.

Put a together a decent NIL package. Essentially guarantee starting minutes (it’s a competition but these guys will believe in themselves when they look at the tape), and get a chance to showcase their skills in front of a basketball media that will eat it up if Rutgers is good

And unlike football, you don’t 5 million in the transfer portal to hit all positions

Reactions: kcg88 and biazza38
Simpson will be much better/efficient with the ball out of his hands more as a slasher. He’s not a true PG and he struggles a bit to create quality shots for himself or drive to the hoop on his own.

Whether he starts next year or not I think he plays a pretty big role on our team next year.

The amount of attention Dylan/Ace are going to draw is really going to open things up for a kid like Derek who has elite speed/quickness.

Simpson will be much better/efficient with the ball out of his hands more as a slasher. He’s not a true PG and he struggles a bit to create quality shots for himself or drive to the hoop on his own.

Whether he starts next year or not I think he plays a pretty big role on our team next year.

The amount of attention Dylan/Ace are going to draw is really going to open things up for a kid like Derek who has elite speed/quickness.

Slashers need to be able to finish at the rim.

Can’t teach speed. Like how all you ignore defense and steals and rebounds when it suits your narrative?

Can’t teach speed. Like how all you ignore defense and steals and rebounds when it suits your narrative?
I dont. We are rated like 10th in defensive efficiency and 300th in offensive efficiency. Derek is a huge part in both.

I am all for winning close, low scoring games. Not team can play offense like we are and expect to go .500 in B1G over a 20 game schedule.

I dont. We are rated like 10th in defensive efficiency and 300th in offensive efficiency. Derek is a huge part in both.

I am all for winning close, low scoring games. Not team can play offense like we are and expect to go .500 in B1G over a 20 game schedule.
Agree. No one is ignoring defense. I love good tough defense, but to play that style you better have shot makers.

As for Derek, he is a solid defender in space. He lacks the physicality against the bigger tougher guards, and he's not at Caleb's level or even Mag's for that matter. Once again, though, no one is saying -- at least not me -- that Derek can't play at this level. He can. But, I do firmly believe that he shouldn't be shooting 10-13 shots every game when he simply isn't making them.

did we give up 86 to Illinois and Iowa. In 11 games vs schools with pulses, RU has given up 75 over or more 6 out of those 10 times

did we give up 86 to Illinois and Iowa. In 11 games vs schools with pulses, RU has given up 75 over or more 6 out of those 10 times
We’ve also averaged ~75 possessions per game in the last six, so that’s right what you’d expect for a good defense

I looked up games against Top 125......
adjusted offensive efficiency .998 241st
adjusted defensive efficiency .949 39th

In those 3 games you reference....
Illinois gave up 86 in 79 possessions
Iowa 88 in 77
OSU 76 in 71

We still would like to be under 1.00, but the big numbers were tempo influenced.

Interesting observation.........points per possession average game NCAA
1.044 '24
1.034 '23
1.021 '22
1.015 '21
1.01 '20
1.034 '19

Pretty sure 3 point line moved back for the '20 season.

Offenses are getting better every year

I started a thread that I forgot to post. I'll have to do that.
In conference we have gone from the top DPPG to the bottom while maintaining a bottom OPPG.

The whole "we have to keep playing out best defensive players" isn't really getting us far this year.

In conference we have gone from the top DPPG to the bottom while maintaining a bottom OPPG.

The whole "we have to keep playing out best defensive players" isn't really getting us far this year.
tempo is different year over year....your arguement is DOA. If you want to add our B1G schedule so far....

Reactions: NickRU714

Plus...what is our best offensive lineup....I'd love to hear your answer as quite frankly I have no idea.

Plus...what is our best offensive lineup....I'd love to hear your answer as quite frankly I have no idea.

Clif, Hyatt, you, me and Coach Knight?

Did you see Embiid scored 70 last night!!

Also NJ native Karl Anthony Towns scored 62 with 10/15 from 3.
At 7ft tall.

looking at adjusted defensive efficiency CONFERENCE GAMES ONLY we are #2 in adjusted defensive efficiency

what does that prove at this point...is this team committed to play defense no.... it has played elite defense at times, but not committed.

looks like the game has changed and the defensive stats if true appear meaningless to whether a team can actually win

Reactions: biazza38
perhaps we should be looking at the gap between offense efficiency and defense effiency to truly tell the pulse of a team

does it matter that Wisconsin has a defense efficiency of 100 that ranks 7 in the lead when they sit ontop of the standings

what good does RUs defense efficiency matter when they sit in last.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT