ADVERTISEMENT

Is there less traffic on these boards since the format change?

funny, I feel the traffic is down for the exact opposite reason. Seems like most of the "positive" people left and it's mostly miserable f$cks now. All one has to do is read the threads and it's obvious the board swings negative.....I mean realist. Plus, look at the number of people who have left, been banned, or come less often and you can see where a good 10 or so topics a day went.
Obviously you live in a basement [roll]

I have to imagine the new board at 247sports is having an impact on traffic as well. Many of the more 'profilic' posters on the Round Table seem to have taken their ball and set-up shop there instead. Honestly, between Rivals, Scout, and the new 247sports site, I am not sure there is enough interest or quality posts out there to fill 3 boards. Instead we get 3 sites that each becomes fairly watered down as a result. I realize each entity has its own interests in mind and it will likely never happen, but I would much prefer one quality board over the current 3.

Lmao at people who think traffic is down because of the new format. Some people really struggle with change.

Reactions: mildone
I have to imagine the new board at 247sports is having an impact on traffic as well. Many of the more 'profilic' posters on the Round Table seem to have taken their ball and set-up shop there instead. Honestly, between Rivals, Scout, and the new 247sports site, I am not sure there is enough interest or quality posts out there to fill 3 boards. Instead we get 3 sites that each becomes fairly watered down as a result. I realize each entity has its own interests in mind and it will likely never happen, but I would much prefer one quality board over the current 3.

The new Board doesn't have OT's. What would some people do without them?

the proof is the in pudding....the board has dropped off in quality and in threads and is almost entirely made up off of topics. Yes the new format has something to do with it, multiple people including myself have said they post less. I still do not understand why that autisitic thread has not been moved to off topic. Its like a thread that will not die.

the proof is the in pudding....the board has dropped off in quality and in threads and is almost entirely made up off of topics. Yes the new format has something to do with it, multiple people including myself have said they post less. I still do not understand why that autisitic thread has not been moved to off topic. Its like a thread that will not die.

100% agree.

Because we don't really have a real Off Topic board that is in any way welcoming of "outsiders". The football board is the "football and OT" board and the OT board is the "angry political clubhouse" board. That isn't to say that thread shouldn't die, though.

And again, it's late May... this is the OT season.

So what you're saying is that all the goodness that comes with the updated forum software isn't worth it because you're too lazy to click your mouse one extra time to get the next page of threads? Really?

In any event, as John posted, based on the logged stats for the site, traffic is the same as this time last year. So... apparently, not everybody is quite so lazy.

Man up and click that mouse! And for the sake of all that is good, invest in a mouse with a scroll wheel. Now, now, now! I should've got you one for your birthday.

Didn't say that, just said I think posts are down. I like most of the new features, especially the unlimited thread storage. But it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. There's no reason they couldn't have made all these upgrades without sabotaging the usability of the site, via a horrifically inefficient design.

And it's not just about clicking once to get to new pages. There are less than half the number of threads per page and every single post takes up more than twice as much vertical space as before, meaning simply reading any post/thread requires at least twice as many clicks as it used to - that's a lot of extra clicks. Classic case of very inefficient website design.

People like you with infinite time to waste might not care, but busy, important people, like me and bac, care deeply. :>)

Didn't say that, just said I think posts are down. I like most of the new features, especially the unlimited thread storage. But it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. There's no reason they couldn't have made all these upgrades without sabotaging the usability of the site, via a horrifically inefficient design.

And it's not just about clicking once to get to new pages. There are less than half the number of threads per page and every single post takes up more than twice as much vertical space as before, meaning simply reading any post/thread requires at least twice as many clicks as it used to - that's a lot of extra clicks. Classic case of very inefficient website design.

People like you with infinite time to waste might not care, but busy, important people, like me and bac, care deeply. :>)

This is a very nice website design. There's more to website design efficiency than just producing a wall of text w/little or no white space. It's literally effortless to navigate around this site.

Face it. You're a curmudgeonly, change-averse, Luddite stuck in the 1980s when it comes to user interface sensibilities. Don't think I didn't notice all that green-bar, dot-matrix printer paper in the back of your car.

The old format was [poop]. The new format is [thumb2].

Nuts has apparently been banned, based on what he has been saying on Twitter, so he has adopted Twitter as his forum to call out people that he disagrees with here.

Pretty funny that Nuts has taken to Twitter to call out people that he can't reach on this board. He was a royal pain in my butt and got me banned a few times for retaliating against his personal attacks. I find this board to be much more civil and tolerant of others without him around and I like that. Safe to say that I won't be looking him up on Twitter anytime soon.

Funny thing is that if I ever met him at an RU sporting event I'm sure we'd get along very well. But we seemed to bring out the worst in each other here. Having said that I still respect him for his support of all things RU.

This is a very nice website design. There's more to website design efficiency than just producing a wall of text w/little or no white space. It's literally effortless to navigate around this site.

Face it. You're a curmudgeonly, change-averse, Luddite stuck in the 1980s when it comes to user interface sensibilities. Don't think I didn't notice all that green-bar, dot-matrix printer paper in the back of your car.

The old format was [poop]. The new format is [thumb2].

But this isn't a good design, from a readability point of view (which is a pretty important purpose of message boards).

While white space is important for readability, the new site design uses white space inefficiently, which makes it difficult to scan a thread, or scan topics. This is RU#'s complaint.

My pet peeve with the new design is the avatars for each post are way too big, but the name of the poster is hard to read, in comparatively small gray text on a gray background.

There are a lot of poor design choices with the new message board. The old board was pretty good from a design perspective, but sucked from a features and software stability perspective. The new board is good from a features perspective but weak from a design perspective.

Reactions: Block R
Less traffic, since I'm lazy and only regularly look at the most current page and one page holds less than half the threads than it used to, due to inefficient utilization of vertical space - and I assume I'm not the only lazy one around...

I COME IN PEACE!!!!!!!! THE BWI BOARD WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE DAILYS-OPERATIVE WORD?WAS!!!!!!!.INSTEAD OF AN HOUR OR SO ..I'M ON ABOUT 4 MIN. TO SCAN THE TITLES-RARELY POST..I THINK THE NEW FORMAT ABSOLUTELY SUCKS.I ENJOYED COMING HERE AS I WAS A SUPPORTER OF RU TO THE B10 BUT SAME SITUATION HERE. WONT SEE ME HERE EITHER.. ADIOS AMIGOS

I COME IN PEACE!!!!!!!! THE BWI BOARD WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE DAILYS-OPERATIVE WORD?WAS!!!!!!!.INSTEAD OF AN HOUR OR SO ..I'M ON ABOUT 4 MIN. TO SCAN THE TITLES-RARELY POST..I THINK THE NEW FORMAT ABSOLUTELY SUCKS.I ENJOYED COMING HERE AS I WAS A SUPPORTER OF RU TO THE B10 BUT SAME SITUATION HERE. WONT SEE ME HERE EITHER.. ADIOS AMIGOS
[banana][banana][cheers]:cool2::okay::D

But this isn't a good design, from a readability point of view (which is a pretty important purpose of message boards).

While white space is important for readability, the new site design uses white space inefficiently, which makes it difficult to scan a thread, or scan topics. This is RU#'s complaint.

My pet peeve with the new design is the avatars for each post are way too big, but the name of the poster is hard to read, in comparatively small gray text on a gray background.

There are a lot of poor design choices with the new message board. The old board was pretty good from a design perspective, but sucked from a features and software stability perspective. The new board is good from a features perspective but weak from a design perspective.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I find reading, scanning and navigating it a much more pleasant, enjoyable experience. The additional white-space helps, IMO.

I suppose Rivals (or whoever) could provide an optional, more compact format that users could enable via their account/profile settings. It's trivially simple to do. And users today can do it for themselves using the Stylish plugin or similar plugins if it matters so much to them.

Last edited:
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT