ADVERTISEMENT

Julie Hermann is a True Nebraska Spender

imbazza

All Conference
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2008
Our bowl trip to lovely Detroit cost a bit more than it should have. Put this in perceptive our FB team and staff= 216 people spend $817.37 per day for 5 days that includes travel food awards and equipment and the band which had 221 people spent $131.25/day for 3 days. Julie Hermann and 12 “Administrative Friends” Spent $7106.61/day for 2 days.

Just food alone for the football players $385.59/day, the band=$61.53/day and JH and company= $964/day over $25,000 for 13 people in 2 days what were they eating in Detroit?!

$4,950 for entertainment $14,857 Promotions and $109,992 for others? I would think that was the schmoozing big donors

I don't think people realize how expensive hotel catering is. I just saw invoices for a department meeting at a local hotel. They charged $7.50 for each can of Coke. It is exactly the same can of Coke that costs 44 cents a can at the local supermarket.

Reactions: lighty
It's downright silly to quote broad numbers and slam JH and her staff. If you've ever dealt with applying expenses to different cost centers - particularly in higher ed - you would know that broad budget titles don't tell you anything. And your thread title tells us much more about you than JH.

kidding me with this thread (and its title)? bad job OP.

Last edited:
Julie and her staff should've worked out of a card board box and fed potential donors a bowl of hobo beans.

Ironically, Christie spent over $80,000 on concessions while cheering on his Cowboys but apparently that's ok.

football players eat a lot more than band members and, as Spanky said, hotel food and beverage costs are just insane.

the football team got to Detroit via a chartered plane which I'm sure is a big chunk of the budget, the band, on the other hand, drove in by bus.

I know Julie and staff entertained a lot of donors and important people (B1G director, RU president to name a couple) and she surely didn't take them to Taco Bell or Popeye's.

Bowl games are expensive. Everyone who has ever been to one knows that.

So what exactly is your point?

It doesn't cost the school a dime so why should anyone give a rats ass??

Our bowl trip to lovely Detroit cost a bit more than it should have. Put this in perceptive our FB team and staff= 216 people spend $817.37 per day for 5 days that includes travel food awards and equipment and the band which had 221 people spent $131.25/day for 3 days. Julie Hermann and 12 “Administrative Friends” Spent $7106.61/day for 2 days.

Just food alone for the football players $385.59/day, the band=$61.53/day and JH and company= $964/day over $25,000 for 13 people in 2 days what were they eating in Detroit?!

Actually those numbers are absurdly low and I am sure you are missing other expenses...the fact that you are highlighting these numbers and implying that these are high reveal that you sir are not well acquainted with travel expenses, managing a team & a budget (and I mean not only athletic but also professional), marketing, logistics, and most importantly, achieving goals. And As White Bus mentioned, I believe the bowl payout covers mostly those expenses. And we won the game.

Incidentally, in attendance for this game there were three Fortune 1000 CEO, over 15 EVPs and multiple high level donors (I know for a fact that a number of key alumni from NYC chartered a plane to attend the game-and they were not there only to watch the game).

Excellent ROI in my opinion.

Wow, glad we've got something new to complain about.

Detroit cost a fraction of what a BCS bowl would cost. As a fan add and in some cases a state we are not really ready to be in the B1G as some people don't really understand the cost of truly competing

If OP had been a bit more floral in his language and included a blurb about "a former Athletic Director at the school, Bob Mulcahy, was fired after a Star Ledger investigative report found that the athletic department lacked proper oversight, and engaged in out of control spending." OP could probably have found his post inserted directly onto nj.com as an article from "NJ.com editorial team".

Never mind the fact that this is all completely normal and expected because its simply how much it costs to travel with large groups that require specially prepared and served meals, in addition to provisions for numerous donors and business affiliates.

This isn't you going to Detroit with your family and checking out the local BBQ hut for dinner. When a BCS school travels, everything is full price because hotels make all of their money on large events like this. All of the meals must be specially planned and catered, at a significant premium. Everything is automatically top dollar. It sounds great to criticize by comparing the cost to what you might spend on a vacation, but you can't put 300 people including a team of 85 athletes who are expected to compete in 1st floor rooms booked on jetsetter and then tell them to hit the bar on the corner because they have half price apps from 4-7 and after an order of sliders and loaded potato skins they won't feel like eating dinner anymore.

Julie should have took everybody here to eat.
homepage4.jpg

( if she could find one :oops:, since it's oob)

While I do wish that all phases of spending by all forms of administrators was more like what they would do with their own money... reality is that.. well, it is what it is. I don't want Julie heading the Costco in the Detroit burbs and hauling back bulk consumable and bags of ice. Its sad that schools get reamed on bowl expenses... but it is what it is. Tilting at windmills here.

I could barely decipher what he wrote. That's usually a signal to me that it's not all that important.

Numbers without context don't mean much. Suppose that 14K spent garnered donations that exceed it by multiple factors? Do you know if it did or not? Do you even know who was being entertained by those expenses? Do you have a point of comparison of what other BCS schools spend when wining and dining their big boosters at these bowl games? Without context and comparing it to the band and what not isn't really context then the numbers don't mean anything and is just looking for a way to stir trouble.

I don't think people realize how expensive hotel catering is. I just saw invoices for a department meeting at a local hotel. They charged $7.50 for each can of Coke. It is exactly the same can of Coke that costs 44 cents a can at the local supermarket.
Agree Spanky. I went to the post game celebration at the hotel hosted by RU. I'm sure the cost of that wasn't chump change. I asked a waiter what one of the items was, he said 'canapes'. I said "can of peas my ass, it's chopped liver on a Ritz cracker!" sincerely, Frankie P.

And $2 for the can sold in the vending machine down the hall from the catered event.

Each team gets an expense budget from the conference. You spend right up to the limit because you can.

Julie and her staff should've worked out of a card board box and fed potential donors a bowl of hobo beans.

Ironically, Christie spent over $80,000 on concessions while cheering on his Cowboys but apparently that's ok.
Wasn't that over a 5 year spans and included over 20 games?

Imagine how much money we could have saved for RU if everyone on the trip simply ate Ramen Noodles and stayed in some dorms. We could have probably closed the entire budget deficit and our players would have been far leaner and meaner.

and what was the marketing value of going to the bowl game against a P5 opponent and winning? If you're going to list what they spent, why not put into perspective what they got back in return ALONG with the bowl money payout?

Numbers are not everything. Schools get more value from having games on television and all of those Big Ten commercials for Rutgers than they spent here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT