ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE GAME THREAD: No. 24/25 Rutgers vs. No. 19 Iowa

Final score Iowa 85-80.Great effort by Rutgers.
I’m sorry if the refs didn’t take over to go from RU up 8 to Iowa up 8, we run away with this one I’m talking third 20 point win of the season. We are so much better than Iowa it’s not even funny. 7 minutes with no basket it was all free throws
Not true.Rutgers isn't so much better than Iowa.

Great game. Down 10 in second half brought it all the way back to take the lead. Last years team would have lost by 20. This years team is different. Great effort. Young needs to finish that layup. Even if he does we still don’t know how the game ends up. None the less this team went on the road and went punch for punch with a very good Iowa team... that is two close road losses to ranked teams over last two weeks. Keep grinding. Beat nebraska on Saturday.

After each passing game I am getting more and more comfortable calling this team an NCAA tournament team.

We lost to a higher ranked team at their place. We're not dropping in the rankings unless we get killed by Nebraska.
Doesn't matter if we win at Nebraska being #24 it's a slim margin for those who aren't usually in it. They don't get the benefit of the doubt. It was fun for a week, but I think we'll eventually get back in it again.

Calls evened out in the end imo. They made a couple more plays.
The calls really hurt us when they started coming, but it was on our guys to keep their heads in the game. At the end of the day, with the game on the line, we missed a three and they made one going the other way. After that, Young's layup rolled out instead of in.
It was a great game, and even with all the misses, they scored 80 tonight.

Next year we win by 20, Garza, Wieskamp and Kreiner are gone. That's 57% of their season scoring.

They just said on BTN that we should not drop out of the top 25.
Yes and they in effect work for the B1G conference. What did you expect them to say? Ever here them talk about Rutgers Football preseason? You'd think last year's team was going to a Jan. 1st bowl.

Losing close to good teams on the road is not anything to be embarrassed about but eventually we’re going to have get some wins on the road to make the NCAAs. Two missed opportunities against Illinois and Iowa. A win against Nebraska isn’t going to cut it when all is said and done. We’re good enough to win on the road but we’re now 1-3 on road in Big Ten.
We’re 1-3 and wouldn’t you know it our 3 losses are to teams 1-2-3 in the big ten standings. Calm down

Calls evened out in the end imo. They made a couple more plays.
They did. But that doesn't make it fair. In the end we were 15 - 21 and they were 18-25. and fouls were 21 to 16. But the issue is (IMO) how the fouls were called early in the 2nd half to completely flip the game and change the play. That's not right.

Yes were were in it late and could again have won with some smarter execution and decision making. Harper had a clear path to take the guy 1 on 1 and pulled back. Young missed a layup. Just enough to lose.

Rebounds! 28 to 36!
Turnovers 9-14
Blocks 0 - 5.
3 pointers 7/21 vs. 9/25.

Seriously even overall .. but somehow we forget who's hot and everybody seems to have to take their shot. Harper's Game to win.

And a side comment. Paul has got to shoot more. And while he made a poor play late he's getting abused by the refs and I'll say it again. He can't say crap. So Pikel needs to help him.

Yes and they in effect work for the B1G conference. What did you expect them to say? Ever here them talk about Rutgers Football preseason? You'd think last year's team was going to a Jan. 1st bowl.
Was that an edit? I know the post bold was. :Laughing

But good point.

I don't think we lost primarily because of officiating, although there obviously were a few questionable calls... RU made some mistakes, and if Mathis, Young, and Baker shoot better than a combined 4-22 and 0-6 from 3, the result may have been different.

We played two entirely different games, officiated by what seemed like entirely different crews. We won the first game, and lost the second. If the officiating remained consistent with the first half, we'd probably have come away with a W.... but if the first half was called like the second, we may have lost by 15.

Any adjustments Pike may have made at halftime went out the window, because the game he was adjusting for was over and a new game had begun with a completely different type of rules enforcement.

Reactions: tfio
The sky is not falling. This road loss is gonna sting and may be needed to learn to bring the defense with is on the next trip.

If theres a team that will learn from a loss it's this one. We lost a hard fought game to very good team. And we didn't play our best.

Officiating played a small role but we still had our chances.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
The game was truly lost because we got out-hustled on the boards tonight; this is the first time this season that I have seen the other team dive on the floor for the ball and us watching our 3 point shots bouncing off the rim and just allowing them to take the ball from us.

What I'm proud of them is that they still played gutsy the whole game and didn't give up. Says a lot about where we are at, and can see us really winning 20 or more games this season.

The sky is not falling. This road loss is gonna sting and may be needed to learn to bring the defense with is on the next trip.

If theres a team that will learn from a loss it's this one. We lost a hard fought game to very good team. And we didn't play our best.

Officiating played a small role but we still had our chances.
copy and paste from the Illinois Post game thread? Agree but what did we learn?

Next year we win by 20, Garza, Wieskamp and Kreiner are gone. That's 57% of their season scoring.

?

Garza is a junior and Wiesman is a sophomore.

Great effort by your team tonight. Lots to look forward to this season and into the future.

?

Garza is a junior and Wiesman is a sophomore.

Great effort by your team tonight. Lots to look forward to this season and into the future.
Sigh. You would think the paper would fact check before calling them savvy seniors.
I am a little disappointed we don't play again this year. This is shaping up to be a really fun matchup to look forward to every year.

copy and paste from the Illinois Post game thread? Agree but what did we learn?
Primarily we learned not to let the other team dictate pace in a game on the road. We were clearly rushing for parts of the game on offense because of emotions and it translated to the defensive end. I think we were tired on defense because of this. Impacted our rebounding too. Totally different than Illinois game. I dont think we came to play at Illinois 1st half. We played soft. Against Iowa, This team fought for 40 minutes but Iowa took us out of what we do best and dictated pace. It's a valuable lesson for a young team

I don't think we lost primarily because of officiating, although there obviously were a few questionable calls... RU made some mistakes, and if Mathis, Young, and Baker shoot better than a combined 4-22 and 0-6 from 3, the result may have been different.
Your comment is spot on because it reinforces the notion to win Rutgers must have many players contribute offensively.Harper was stellar for the whole game and Yeboah for the first half.Rutgers had the lead with two minutes remaining but missed a 3 pointer by Yeboah and a layup by Young that gave Iowa the margin for victory because Rutgers was forced to foul to stop the clock and hope they missed the foul shots.Great effort by Rutgers but winning on the road against quality opponents requires making shots with the game on the line.Its another learning lesson for the team .

Reactions: RU Mike73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT