ADVERTISEMENT

March MatNess is ON ! NCAA Wrestling Tourney Thread :

141 is so deep its unbearable... and they return almost everyone next year...AGAIN ugh...
Jack might have the same idea of not wanting to go 149 to face Zain
But the thing is he is so tall...he has to work relentlessly to make weight. Sooner or later naturally you aren't going to be able to do that. Most 141 lb guys are like 5 ft 6 to 5 ft 7. Jack is 5 ft 11.

If he continues to wrestle same way against Jack and Heil he will never beat them. Not exactly sure what his game plan was.

Love the team and appreciate his 3x AA but feel he has talent to do even better.

Ashnault wrestled like sh*t. Sorry but just not aggressive enough. Same as Heil match. Our guys still claim up against the best, even AA. When you are the "underdog" you need to push and force the action. Almost seemed satisfied.
If U watch the match it was pretty close... Ash lost focus and gave up the TD to Heil and especially the last second TD to Jack to close the first... Once Heil gets the lead its tough to beat that guy. Ash was actually aggro on Jack first period but he got sloppy and Jack countered last second into his own TD

Ashnault will wrestle No. 8 Jaydin Eierman (MIZZ) for fifth later in the session.

Weight room muscles don't always equate to real strength , case in point = Nolf and nikal
I have to agree with RickB113 we need to get stronger. Look at Gravina and Theobold both matched up strength wise with their opponents and both out preformed their seeds. Now we don't have to become Lou Ferigno's, but strength is lacking with several of our wrestlers.

Ashnault's results against Heil and Jack should let people enjoy upsets like Theo's even more, it's not a sport of upsets. Guys are just better sometimes.

Reactions: Abro1975
If U watch the match it was pretty close... Ash lost focus and gave up the TD to Heil and especially the last second TD to Jack to close the first... Once Heil gets the lead its tough to beat that guy. Ash was actually aggro on Jack first period but he got sloppy and Jack countered last second into his own TD
Actually saw it differently. He was having to go to a lot of front body locks which he does not do nearly that often and he was not closing the distance. Can't shoot from 5 ft away on a guy who is 5'11 and he really had no good scoring chances. Never got to a leg or ankle entire match. Heil I thought was closer.

Great day for Rutgers. Another AA, two guys made it to the round of 12.

Of course it could have been better, but I think many of us would have signed up for this when the tournament started.
We had 4 guys in the Round of 12. SD, AA, KT, NG.

Reactions: elvis7
Anyone else having streaming issues today? WatchESPN is slow, laggy & freezing on my laptop.

141 | No. 5 Anthony Ashnault is on deck on Mat 1 against No. 8 Jaydin Eierman (Mizz).

149 | No. 15 Ken Theobold is in the hole on Mat 3 against Alex Kocer (SDSU).

Well that's a real disappointment. Not a real good tournament for Ashnault.

Ashnault just couldn't get anything going on his feet the last 3 matches vs Heil, Jack & Eierman.

Alright Ken way to go. The way he wrestled if not for that brain fart he could have placed much higher. Great tourney for him. He wrestled great.

yeah ash ,I'm sorry to say had a big let down......it just seems he sometimes lacks that killer instinct......he should train with zein this off season.....im not dissin ru.s room,,,,but that kid need to
be angry, maybe his personality is too mellow...I feel really bad
for the kid..he loves ru, and represents the state university with
class....maybe next year...still a 3 time aa is quite an achievement...thanks mr. ashnault

Reactions: Loyal-Son
look how the redshirt year helped theo...stronger,more mature,and hungry...congrats ken t

lets just thank the wrestling gods for ash choosing to wrestle here....and I would like to thank scott Winston also....the kid was
a real talent....this sport is tough,,he never aa 'd, but paved the way for other blue chippers

Ash just could not close gap on those kids as I am sure they scouted him thoroughly

So does PSU just have more top end talent than we do with so many of their guys in the finals? Seems like we have a solid team, but we dont have as much top end success as they do.
More top end talent but it not just talent. It coaching also. Penn State doesn't always have the top classes. However the consistently develope wrestlers and they peak at the right time. Sanderson has one focus and that is having national champions and winning national titles. He doesn't build his teams for duel meets. He has guys always looking for bonus points. You often see wrestlers shut it down with a lead. Penn State wrestlers are always pushing for those bonus points.

More top end talent but it not just talent. Penn St. doesn't always have the top classes.
[laughing] This made me laugh. Yea, when you don't get top classes it's because your already stocked up with the top talent and have no room. Great observation Galileo.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: RickB113
[laughing] This made me laugh. Yea, when you don't get top classes it's because your already stocked up and have no room. Great observation Galileo.:rolleyes:
That may be true an extent but Cael is developing and preparing them better than anyone else. With only 9.9 scholarships you can't just stockpile and not develop wrestlers.

Well that's a real disappointment. Not a real good tournament for Ashnault.

The only disappointment has been you in this thread...Kid made the semifinals of the NCAA'S for the second year in a row..Became an All American for the 3rd time in 3 years...That's not a bad tournament... You have been overly critical a few times in this thread...knock it off..it's not needed...These kids put everything they had into it...just like their opponents...they were beaten by better wrestlers...end of story...

The only disappointment has been you in this thread...Kid made the semifinals of the NCAA'S for the second year in a row..Became an All American for the 3rd time in 3 years...That's not a bad tournament... You have been overly critical a few times in this thread...knock it off..it's not needed...These kids put everything they had into it...just like their opponents...they were beaten by better wrestlers...end of story...
How the hell was that overly critical? He took 4th last year, this year he took 6th and lost to the eight seed. I'm sure if you ask Ashnault he would say he didn't have a good tournament. I think he's better, apparently you think this is his ceiling. So yea it's a disappointment that he finished 6th, he's better than that. That's not overly critical.

And where have I been overly critical before? What that we need to get stronger or as a team show a greater sense of urgency to get out from bottom. Both trouble spots in this tourney. Or the wing dinger that Delvecchio could have beat his kid if he had only wrestled the whole match like the last minute. Sorry, but your being overly sensitive.

Last edited:
Everyone realizes that it a tough tournament and just not making it is an accomplishment. That doesn't mean you can't evaluate their performance. I am sure AA would agree that he had a bad tournament especially in the wrestles backs. At what point do you start expecting more than participation ribbons? If you think this is the best that Rutgers can do then I can understand. However I don't think you will find many inside the program who is pleased with finishing 19th and 9th out of B1G schools. I think many were looking forward to seeing the program take the next step but it didn't happen this year.

That may be true an extent but Cael is developing and preparing them better than anyone else. With only 9.9 scholarships you can't just stockpile and not develop wrestlers.
Who are your top guys that weren't national top recruits?

Who are your top guys that weren't national top recruits?
They all were highly rated but my point is they are living up to those ratings and beating guys older than them. For example Bo Nickal was the 7th ranked kid in his class yet but has scored the most indivual points this tournament. Rutherford was 3rd in his class yet is in second place in points over all. Nolf was 4th in his class yet 3rd most points in the tourney. NIckal and Nolf are doing this as sophomores. Rutherford as a junior. So there are recruits ranked higher but are not producing as much on the national stage.

I have not always been a serious follower of college wrestling, but I have noticed a few things over the last 8 or so years. First thing I've noticed is RU has come a very long way as a program. That said IMHO I expected a stronger year this year. Not that it was not a good year which leads to the second thing I noticed. Rutgers has a long way to go to compete heads up with the likes of Penn State, Iowa and the other top programs. I think we will get there, but until then I'll root my butt off for this team.

Ashnault wrestled like sh*t. Sorry but just not aggressive enough. Same as Heil match. Our guys still claim up against the best, even AA. When you are the "underdog" you need to push and force the action. Almost seemed satisfied.

I felt the same way last night when Ash went against Heil. It reminded me of last year's match but only closer this time around. Ash waited for his opportunities (which never materialized) instead of being more aggressive. Plus Heil negated Ash's riding skills by quickly getting to the sitting position and not letting Ash grind and ride.

How the hell was that overly critical? He took 4th last year, this year he took 6th and lost to the eight seed. I'm sure if you ask Ashnault he would say he didn't have a good tournament. I think he's better, apparently you think this is his ceiling. So yea it's a disappointment that he finished 6th, he's better than that. That's not overly critical.

And where have I been overly critical before? What that we need to get stronger or as a team show a greater sense of urgency to get out from bottom. Both trouble spots in this tourney. Or the wing dinger that Delvecchio could have beat his kid if he had only wrestled the whole match like the last minute. Sorry, but your being overly sensitive.

I'm with you on that. Ashnault was seeded fifth, and many of the RU faithful probably thought he was better than that. He is a hell of a wrestler and had his eyes on the top prize. Going out with three losses in a row is not something he or any of us figured would happen. Not a great tournament by Ashnault, even though finishing 6th is no small feat.

Can you imagine what this thread would be like the last 2 days if Creedo/RUGrappler89 etc was still around ? LOL.

Ashnault is Rutgers best wrestler but seems stymied because 141 pound class has superior wrestlers who will be coming back next season.My concern is that after next season Ashnault graduates and who will replace him as the star of the program?Recruiting obviously like in all Rutgers sports needs improvement to successfully compete in the B1G and the National Championship.

I think many were looking forward to seeing the program take the next step but it didn't happen this year.
I don't see how anybody could have expected that to happen this year. Last season they finished 5th at B1G's and 15th at nationals with a veteran team. This year they had a true Frosh at 125, a huge loss in Richie Lewis getting injured, a revolving door at 165 and 174, a true Frosh at 197 and a question mark at HWT. "The next step" will be taken by 16, 17, 18 recruiting classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT