ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament Thread: NCAA Wrestling Championships Session 5, Saturday 11 am

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
11am ET - Session V (Three Mat Configuration): Wrestle-back Semifinals on all three mats; Followed by Third, Fifth, Seventh place medal round matches

ESPNU will be televising at 11am, ESPN3 will be streaming all mats.

133- Scott DelVecchio vs Tariq Wilson, NCSt.
Winner will wrestle for 3rd place against the winner of 3 seed Luke Pletcher vs 4 seed Kaid Brock.
Both Del Vecchio and Wilson lost their first match Thur , and went on to win 5 straight matches !
They have never wrestled each other before.

Rutgers currently stands in 9th place with 42.5 points, just ahead of Ariz St & South Dakota St with 37 points. Ok St has 35.5 points in 12th place. Lehigh in 13th place w 34.5 points

RU, ASU & SD St each have 1 wrestler left in the Finals. (Suriano, Valencia and Gross)
Lehigh has none in the finals, Ok St has none.

In the Consolations RU has 1 (Del Vecchio) alive for 3rd, ASU has 2 wrestling in the 7/8 bout, SD St has 2 in the 7/8 bout
Lehigh (34.5 points) has 3 alive in the consolations, Ok St has 4 left in Consys !

I'm guessing RU will need Suriano to win tonight and DelVec to win at least his first bout this morning , and get a little help , for RU to finish in the top 10.

Best way to look at all data is on the Trackwestling.com.

Go Nick !! Bring home the Gold and make NJ history by being the first RU wrestler to win it all, and I think also the first NJ D1 College Wrestler to win it all for a NJ College (not sure if Montclair St , Seton Hall, Rider etc, had 1 in the past, none come to mind).

11am ET - Session V (Three Mat Configuration): Wrestle-back Semifinals on all three mats; Followed by Third, Fifth, Seventh place medal round matches

Winner will wrestle for 3rd place against the winner of 3 seed Luke Pletcher vs 4 seed Kaid Brock.
Both Del Vecchio and Wilson lost their first match Thur , and went on to win 5 straight matches !

Rutgers currently stands in 9th place with 42.5 points, just ahead of Ariz St & South Dakota St with 37 points. Ok St has 35.5 points in 12th place. Lehigh in 13th place w 34.5 points

RU, ASU & SD St each have 1 wrestler left in the Finals. (Suriano, Valencia and Gross)

In the Consolations RU has 1 (Del Vecchio) alive for 3rd, ASU has 2 wrestling in the 7/8 bout, SD St has 2 in the 7/8 bout
Lehigh (34.5 points) has 3 alive in the consolations, Ok St has 4 left in Consys !

I'm guessing RU will need Suriano to win tonight and DelVec to win at least his first bout this morning , and get a little help , for RU to finish in the top 10.

Go Nick !! Bring home the Gold and make NJ history by being the first RU wrestler to win it all, and I think also the first NJ D1 College Wrestler to win it all for a NJ College (not sure if Montclair St , Seton Hall, Rider etc, had 1 in the past, none come to mind).

I enjoy your updates, but you are wrong on Wilson. He won his first 3, then lost in the semi-final.

Reactions: Abro1975

Thanks for the updates...awesome job!!

How many mats are going at 11 am? Do we think Scott will be on ESPNU in a split screen in the least?

How many mats are going at 11 am? Do we think Scott will be on ESPNU in a split screen in the least?

Appears there will be 3 mats. 2 for the 5/6 place consolation semifinals (winners advance to wrestle for 3rd.). 1 for the 7/8 place.
I’m guessing since there are 2 semifinals there will a split screen. You can always watch a full screen on your device on ESPN3.

And I stand corrected on Tariq Wilson. You guys are sharp!

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Not looking good, this is a mismatch. Too long and too quick for Scott.

133 end of 1- Delvec trails 10-3 plus RT. Kid from NC St getting to Del's legs very easy.

Scotty gets momentum match after match and rides it but always starts out slow. Too bad they didn't wrestle last night!

Del lost 13-3 (Wilson had over four minutes of RT). Total mismatch this time around.

Awesome JOb by Scott D. A fitting way to end his college carrer. Another AA for South Plainfield (They had 3 AA's on that HS team?)

Not sure he can pull it out against Brock but let's go Scotty. One more time for your career!! Leave it all out there.

Awesome JOb by Scott D. A fitting way to end his college carrer. Another AA for South Plainfield (They had 3 AA's on that HS team?)
Suriano, Delvecchio, and Heilman from UNC? If Ashnault had been going, might have been four.

And Ohio State making moves for that team Title...Could come down to Kyle Snyder at HW
Not positive, but I don't think tOSU can win the team title since PSU has five guys in the finals and others still wrestling. PSU's guys don't lose much in the finals.

Yup. Ash, Delvecchio, Troy Heilmann (UNC) - part of SP Murderers row 2013

@Abro1975 So what time is 5th/6th and 3rd/4th matches taking place? My wife wants to go to lunch but I'm not missing this once a year event. I can't find the friggin schedule.

Last edited:
Glad that Rutgers did right by the SP kids. This should pay off in spades for future recruiting.

Both Montclair State and Trenton State (D3 schools) have had NCAA D1 National Champions. Montclair also had multiple D1 finalists and All Americans (in order of finish):

1978 - Ken Mallory, national champion, 134 pounds (Montclair)
1981 - Tom Martucci, national champion, 190 pounds (Trenton State)

1989 - Karl Monaco, 2nd place, 150 pounds (Montclair)
1988 - Karl Monaco, 3rd place, 142 pounds (Montclair)
1985 - John Monaco, 4th place, 167 pounds (Montclair)
1989 - Pete Gonzalez, 5th place, 126 pounds (Montclair)
1988 - Pete Gonzalez, 7th place, 126 pounds (Montclair)

Mike Jacoutot lost in the blood round in 1981 while competing at 126 pounds for Trenton State.

Seton Hall had 3 All Americans, notably 2x AA Joe Burke, who was the #1 seed at 158 pounds in 1995:

1995 - Joe Burke, 3rd place, 158 pounds (Seton Hall)
1993 - Joe Burke, 4th place, 150 pounds (Seton Hall)
1995 - Lou Cerchio, 7th place, 167 pounds (Seton Hall)

Rider has a rich wrestling tradition - no finalists, but 17 All Americans, some 2x AA (Walsh and Carvalheira). Also, three 3rd place finishers:

1980 - Lou DiSerafino, 3rd place, 190 pounds (Rider)
1991 - Adam Derengowski, 3rd place, 118 pounds (Rider)
2009 - Doug Umbehauer, 3rd place, 184 pounds (Rider).

Personally, I miss the days when D3 guys wrestled in the D1 tournament. I'm also bummed that both Montclair and Seton Hall discontinued their programs. Wrestling seems to be dying a slow death, that would be a shame. I'm a Seton Hall alum, but root hard for Rider, Princeton, and Rutgers wrestling - NJ history is too rich and great to let fade into memory.

Good luck to DelVecchio and Suriano today, you've made Jersey proud!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT