ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Sarzyniak predicts RU-Northwestern to be Sunday night of LDW at 7:30 on NBC

And if you look at his picks for the following two weeks, he has the Temple game at 3:30 on CBS and the Virginia Tech game at 7:30 on BTN

And if you look at his picks for the following two weeks, he has the Temple game at 3:30 on CBS and the Virginia Tech game at 7:30 on BTN
Unless CBS is a whole lot lower on the pecking order than I think, I would be shocked beyond belief if they chose Rutgers-Temple for their prime 3:30 slot.

Reactions: Local Shill
It's probably a Peacock game.

EDIT: Maybe not. The Nascar race is on USA, which is under the NBC umbrella.

Wow you’re right, this was an NBC race for years but it looks like it got demoted to USA (ouch).

Since NBCSN was shut down at the end of 2021, USA aired 11 Cup races in 2022. NBC owns USA, they shifted their sports content to USA, Peacock and other NBCUniversal networks. So when NBC has the race you will typically find it on USA with the exception of the the "Big Races Tracks" and the playoff races.

Reactions: Joey Bags
I wish we’d grab that Thursday night slot every year

It’s where we’ve made our mark - and leaves LDW completely open
Not me.

You volunteer for the Friday night slot there since the B1G demands we all play (Yeah, right - how many have skated on that) at least once a season.

Not me.

You volunteer for the Friday night slot the B1G demands we all play (Yeah, right - how many have skated on that) at least once a season.
Thursday or Friday work, but Thursday works better. LDW starts getting planned in January, but a lot of times for the Saturday game. It really screws things up.

Not me.

You volunteer for the Friday night slot there since the B1G demands we all play (Yeah, right - how many have skated on that) at least once a season.
That was then, this is now. The B1G does not have a Friday contract with any network. The only exception is Black Friday, where they are looking for a second game to complement the annual Iowa-Nebraska matchup. Volunteering for this, along with Maryland, wouldn't be the worst idea.

Reactions: Plum Street
That was then, this is now. The B1G does not have a Friday contract with any network. The only exception is Black Friday, where they are looking for a second game to complement the annual Iowa-Nebraska matchup. Volunteering for this, along with Maryland, wouldn't be the worst idea.
If it was at night, sure.

Friday early after a late Thanksgiving…not so much.

And I don’t recall the Friday night games being tied into any specific TV partner other than BTN?

But I do hope Maryland does end up being the regular season last opponent every year going forward.

Unless CBS is a whole lot lower on the pecking order than I think, I would be shocked beyond belief if they chose Rutgers-Temple for their prime 3:30 slot.

It’s a terrible slate of games that week and RU—Temple is the 2nd or 3rd best Big Ten game.

So yes, CBS has 2nd pick and that’s the pretty good guess

It’s a terrible slate of games that week and RU—Temple is the 2nd or 3rd best Big Ten game.

So yes, CBS has 2nd pick and that’s the pretty good guess
OMG you are right. I checked the schedule for the second weekend of the season. All 14 teams are playing OOC. Five of them are away games which the B1G does not own. Those five are arguably the five most attractive games on the schedule!

Of the remaining nine games, four are against FCS opponents. That leaves five for the networks to choose from.

Charlotte @ Maryland
UNLV @ Michigan
Eastern Michigan @ Minnesota
UTEP @ Northwestern
Temple @ Rutgers

Talk about slim pickings!

Last edited:
OMG you are right. I checked the schedule for the second weekend of the season. All 14 teams are playing OOC. Five of them are away games which the B1G does not own. Those five are arguably the five most attractive games on the schedule!

Of the remaining mine games, four are against FCS opponents. That leaves five for the networks to choose from.

Charlotte @ Maryland
UNLV @ Michigan
Eastern Michigan @ Minnesota
UTEP @ Northwestern
Temple @ Rutgers

Talk about slim pickings!

CBS likely won’t have many early season games once they’re done with the SEC after next year.

But, at this point, much better than talking basketball.
After I watched the post game presser with Pike, Caleb and Paul, I'd gladly talk Rutgers basketball over somebody's guess work for a football date. That presser opened my eyes even more to what Pike has meant to the basketball program.

As long as we come out of the weekend undefeated and in 1st 🥇 lace. I’m fine and will be there.

I love night games in Sept, while it's warm, so I'd take Sunday night over Saturday during the day, but I'd also be happy with Friday night.

Not that it means anything, but he has since revised his NW-RU prediction to 12:00 Saturday on CBS.
Selfishly I couldn’t think of the worst time and day to have the game.

I may be in the minority, but I would love if we lock down either that Thursday night preferably or perhaps even that Friday night spot of Labor Day weekend on a regular basis that Minnesota seems to have grabbed.

Thursday would be awesome as it leaves the entire weekend open for Labor Day activities, and a lot of people either takeoff with PTO or leave early that day

Make it an 8 PM start time which leaves plenty of time to fight traffic and tailgating

Also, it allows us to watch the rest of the games that we can freely and if you’re traveling somewhere to watch games, allows us to double dip and hit Rutgers first, and then the other game after later in the weekend

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Selfishly I couldn’t think of the worst time and day to have the game.

I may be in the minority, but I would love if we lock down either that Thursday night preferably or perhaps even that Friday night spot of Labor Day weekend on a regular basis that Minnesota seems to have grabbed.

Thursday would be awesome as it leaves the entire weekend open for Labor Day activities, and a lot of people either takeoff with PTO or leave early that day

Make it an 8 PM start time which leaves plenty of time to fight traffic and tailgating

Also, it allows us to watch the rest of the games that we can freely and if you’re traveling somewhere to watch games, allows us to double dip and hit Rutgers first, and then the other game after later in the weekend
Minnesota has locked down the Thursday night slot, not Friday.

The B1G has no network commitment on Friday. I guess it could be a BTN game then, but only after the networks have all passed on the game. Given the weakness of the opening weekend schedule, I do not see that happening.

Minnesota has locked down the Thursday night slot, not Friday.

The B1G has no network commitment on Friday. I guess it could be a BTN game then, but only after the networks have all passed on the game. Given the weakness of the opening weekend schedule, I do not see that happening.
I wonder if they’d be willing to switch to Friday every year if we agreed to do Thursday moving forward

Or maybe we can volunteer for Friday if available

Wishful thinking I’m sure, but can’t hurt to ask them (or the B1G)

We’re getting more money because we’ll be playing more games during Prime Time. Worth the trade off, imo.

I wonder if they’d be willing to switch to Friday every year if we agreed to do Thursday moving forward

Or maybe we can volunteer for Friday if available

Wishful thinking I’m sure, but can’t hurt to ask them (or the B1G)
I’ve said this from the get go.

Reactions: MrsScrew
99% of the time, I'd love to have a Friday night (or Thursday night) LDW game, but if it's this year, I'll miss it, which would suck - wife's sister's wedding on Friday and our wedding anniversary. I'd also take Sunday night over Saturday during the day in the heat - is Sat night possible? Haven't really followed this...

99% of the time, I'd love to have a Friday night (or Thursday night) LDW game, but if it's this year, I'll miss it, which would suck - wife's sister's wedding on Friday and our wedding anniversary. I'd also take Sunday night over Saturday during the day in the heat - is Sat night possible? Haven't really followed this...

No Saturday night is not possible. PSU has that slot

No Saturday night is not possible. PSU has that slot
PSU has the NBC Saturday night slot. I thought that NBC had exclusivity in that slot. But The Athletic is projecting that NW-RU will be a Saturday night FS1 game, competing with the NBC game. So who knows.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
PSU has the NBC Saturday night slot. I thought that NBC had exclusivity in that slot. But The Athletic is projecting that NW-RU will be a Saturday night FS1 game, competing with the NBC game. So who knows.

Yah. I think the athletic is uninformed

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I hate night games. And before anyone asks, "Get off my lawn!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT