ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Defenders in the Box

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Lots of them. So what’s the strategy if you’re OC? You can’t run the ball up the middle cause there’s too much traffic. You can’t get the edge cause you’re too slow. You can’t pass to a wideout because you won’t have enough time. You can’t pass across the middle because there’s more traffic. Pass to the flats hoping your backs can break a tackle?

Trips right...run some hurry up to gas defense some of the time. Remember drive before half vs Washington.

Bubble screen. Well see if our freshman WRs can block. And then eventually, we have to try to go deep and get behind them.

Roll out Gio and go deep to Grant

We will not score in this game.

Looking forward to watching tOSU-statepenn........... I believe tOSU is head-and-shoulders above all other teams in B1G. But, I may be wrong...
Why does that matter?......... because we WILL score in this game..........

Levaos Lectures: spoken like a true teachers asdistant from Rutgers...what I don’t remember seeing the last two weeks is a your smug ass offering congratulatory praise to the team....FAH.

Reactions: koleszar
The stategy is to run the ball, huddle to milk the clock then run again. Rinse and repeat because time of possession is the only score that matters. :rolleyes:

Run the ball up the middle over and over and over....

That's seemingly all we do. Hopefully we can use our imagination a little this week and try to mix it up some.

I can tell if we run that delay draw out of the shotgun that we have run for the last few games, Michigan will blow that up for a 6 yard loss every time. Scrap that play this week...

I can tell if we run that delay draw out of the shotgun that we have run for the last few games, Michigan will blow that up for a 6 yard loss every time. Scrap that play this week...
Seems to me that the only reason a delay draw play would work is if it fools LBs into thinking the QB will pass. But they know we don't pass, so what's the point?!? It's kinda like there's no point for a pure passing team to run a play action because defenders already know the O won't have a running play.

depends if they are playing press man or not. I would try to motion some stuff to the slot. I would go to of our good HBs in the backfield and motion one out to the slot. This would have to pull a defender out and hopefully create a mismatch. Maybe run some combo routes and create some easy reads. I would also boot and sprint out to read some easy levels and get the ball out quickly.

Eventually you have to stretch the edge just to keep them honest. But again it depends on if they are playing press or not.

Penn State gave us the blueprint, do what they did and points will flow
Piece of cake:
Step One: Get Saquon Barkley - or an equivalent talent - on our team...
Repeat Step One across all skill positions and much of the line.
Proceed to win handily.

Reactions: tm_nj
Penn State gave us the blueprint, do what they did and points will flow
Yeah, all we need is PSU's offensive line with a Heisman-caliber running back behind it, then Michigan will be forced to overplay the run they did against PSU.

In reality, their defensive line will beat our OL straight up without extra help, and what happened to Michigan's defense last week will have absolutely no relevance to our game.

Lots of them. So what’s the strategy if you’re OC? You can’t run the ball up the middle cause there’s too much traffic. You can’t get the edge cause you’re too slow. You can’t pass to a wideout because you won’t have enough time. You can’t pass across the middle because there’s more traffic. Pass to the flats hoping your backs can break a tackle?
Michigan's defense is so fast you would hope to catch them out of position on misdirection plays like reverses, screens, trick plays (didn't Grant throw out of a sweep once?). Unfortunately, Gio looked banged up last week, our passes were more straight drop backs than the rollouts we did against Illinois, and you don't want him as a stationary target against Michigan.

mmmm strategy.....lets see, pin this post on the bulletin board in ru's locker room.

Still trying to figure out why people think we have the talent to open up this offense. Run the ball as many times as possible, hope to break a few runs and sprinkle in a few passes here and there. A winning formula against Michigan -- very unlikely but it's what we do best (despite what some think) so you continue to do it. People can call it "not playing to win" but that would ignore the fact that we've haven't won any other way in 2 years.

Still trying to figure out why people think we have the talent to open up this offense. Run the ball as many times as possible, hope to break a few runs and sprinkle in a few passes here and there. A winning formula against Michigan -- very unlikely but it's what we do best (despite what some think) so you continue to do it. People can call it "not playing to win" but that would ignore the fact that we've haven't won any other way in 2 years.

1. In general, just because it's what you do best, doesn't mean it is a winning formula.

2. Correct, we haven't won any other way in 2 years. But we also haven't won alot the last two years. Obviously this year isn't over yet.

3. I don't think anyone has said we have the talent to open up the offense and beat UM this year. It's about opening up the offense now, to lay the groundwork now and using that offense to beat UM over the next 3-5 years and beyond.

Throw on first down please.

---
was going to post this.....

it goes against all the instinct of a Kill offense, IMO, but if we actually
want to move the ball, and keep moving the ball, the one stat I would like to see is, by the
end of the game we threw more on first down than ran.....

you know they stack the box..... we have to have some receiver we can hit a quick slant, hit a back out of the backfield, anything

I think Blackshear has to get a bunch of touches. He is our most athletic back. Misdirection with him, direct snaps etc, anything to try to confuse the D. Gus the Bus up the middle is not going to work. Gio will need to pull the ball back and run more but with his knee not sure how much he has in the tank.

---
was going to post this.....

it goes against all the instinct of a Kill offense, IMO, but if we actually
want to move the ball, and keep moving the ball, the one stat I would like to see is, by the
end of the game we threw more on first down than ran.....

you know they stack the box..... we have to have some receiver we can hit a quick slant, hit a back out of the backfield, anything
The big assumption you make is that they will need to stack the box to contain the run. They did it last week and got burned, but that isn't a given to be necessary against RU.

As I mentioned above, to me the way to make some plays is to use Michigan's speed and confidence against them with misdirection, hoping they get out of position for their assignments.

Solutions to a stacked box:
  • Have better players (lulz)
  • QB run game (cringe)
  • bubble screens (still sorta requires better players...)
  • Outflank via sweep or toss (Michigan too fast)
  • Attack the flats with 3-step passing game of the stick/snag/slot out/smash variety (I haven't seen this all year)
  • Bunched/tight sets to force opponent to adjust (I like this approach because of its flexibility and based on what I've seen, this is Kill's preferred method. The only problem I have is that we haven't shown that we can pass deep out of the bunch. We should be able to punish teams with a max-protect, play-action deep passing game out of this set, but so far we haven't hit the home run to make this scheme complete. When done right, it should look similar to what Big Ben and Wallace do up in Steeler country.)

Lots of play action - keep them guessing on runs up the middle or a quick throw on man to man coverage with no safety help.

The big assumption you make is that they will need to stack the box to contain the run. They did it last week and got burned, but that isn't a given to be necessary against RU.

As I mentioned above, to me the way to make some plays is to use Michigan's speed and confidence against them with misdirection, hoping they get out of position for their assignments.

Good post. My post is thus suggesting we might have some success running when we do, if we can keep them from overloading on the line. If you are correct and we cannot run even when they worry about the pass, we will be in for a long tough day. We do have to hope we can run under that situation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT