ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State coaching?

RUmaz

Senior
May 31, 2007
MSU set up to defend an onside kick way too early. They got lucky the first time when we kicked long. Ball almost stopped on the one yard line. I said to my grandson that we should kick it into the middle of the field. The second time we did.

Reactions: shields
MSU set up to defend an onside kick way too early. They got lucky the first time when we kicked long. Ball almost stopped on the one yard line. I said to my grandson that we should kick it into the middle of the field. The second time we did.
Yeah we out coached them big time right there

People say Schiano is poor at game adjustments were proved wrong today!
He’s actually not poor. He’s taken over RU twice when they were bottom of the barrel and so he has always had to build talent and culture from scratch with very little in terms of resources. Some people take that as poor game day coaching.

Luck helps too. Even with the botched kickoff return alignment we got a perfect bounce and the MSU guy was a split second late. The stars aligned for us today.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Is this thread serious. ??
That’s an interim staff that is spending more time durung the week looking for their next job. We sure as hell better outcoach then
Unbelievable. These guys know they will not be rehired. Agreed we better be able to out coach them. And to be honest they outcoached us for most of the day. Kirks play calling was suspect once again.

Unbelievable. These guys know they will not be rehired. Agreed we better be able to out coach them. And to be honest they outcoached us for most of the day.
Yeah in the end we won . What you saw from Michigan state today is what you would expect from an interim staff

Reactions: kupuna133
Might’ve been the only bounce we got today. In the end, it was the one that mattered.
thrilling win, but you aren’t going to see too many 18 point 4th qtr comebacks that don’t benefit from luck. But nobody should care. Winning isn’t easy.

That’s an interim staff that is spending more time durung the week looking for their next job. We sure as hell better outcoach then
It’s the same coaching staff that was in place during the summer, minus Tucker. And considering how much time Tucker spends on the phone, they’re not missing too much. Dantonio has been brought in on a consultative role. It’s not as though some brand new coaching staff was airdropped in. These guys are all veterans - the staff knows doing their job well on game day only works to build their resume.

Luck helps too. Even with the botched kickoff return alignment we got a perfect bounce and the MSU guy was a split second late. The stars aligned for us today.
thrilling win, but you aren’t going to see too many 18 point 4th qtr comebacks that don’t benefit from luck. But nobody should care. Winning isn’t easy.

Your seriously something else. What about all of Michigan State’s “luck” in the first three quarters? Literally every bounce, call, etc. went their way until the final 15 minutes. Yes - a few things finally went our way at the end to help seal the come back, but at the end of the day even the stats show we were the better team. Wasn’t going to be big offense numbers playing in the rain no matter who the teams are but we outgained them 295 to 245 overall (and our total included 30 collective negative kneeling yards at the end of the halves).

I will do it.
Credit to rutgers !! We did what we needed to do
Have you ever considered Mel was a liability and a shitty coach? What exactly did he accomplish when Walker III was not on his roster? Let's take a look.
2-5/2-5
5-7/3-6
2-0 Against 2 cupcakes.

5-11 in conference.

Harlon Barnett is a seasoned coach with Michigan State since 2007, ans was Associate Head Coach for 3 years. He's actually under consideration for head coach. So your original comment does not have a lot of merit.

Have you ever considered Mel was a liability and a shitty coach? What exactly did he accomplish when Walker III was not on his roster? Let's take a look.
2-5/2-5
5-7/3-6
2-0 Against 2 cupcakes.

5-11 in conference.

Harlon Barnett is a seasoned coach with Michigan State since 2007, ans was Associate Head Coach for 3 years. He's actually under consideration for head coach. So your original comment does not have a lot of merit.
Yes I considered it . Have you considered that a shitty coach had a shitty staff?? That’s what is left

I think the staff probably took unfair heat on the play calling though, so they deserve their due in recognition. It was a comeback for the ages no matter who your up against and special teams coaching was a big part of it.

The play calling can’t change because Gavin is what he is for now. When the run game is clicking the offense can be decent. When the run is shut down, we will keep struggling unless screen passes suddenly click for Gavin and he can add that to his rotation of regular plays that we run. The OL is decent enough at this point where if we could keep a D honest with bubble passes it would open things up when we’re getting stopped. For whatever reason Gavin just really struggles with the short routes.

Unbelievable. These guys know they will not be rehired. Agreed we better be able to out coach them. And to be honest they outcoached us for most of the day. Kirks play calling was suspect once again.
We actually did move the ball and with less than 5-6 minutes in the half we’re down 7-6 before a muffed punt return. They scored once in the 2nd half we scored 3 times . It is a game made up of 60 minutes. Look at the comparison in stats. Even Gavin as bad as several here believe he is… the kid made 8-9 NFL throws … watched the Williams kid from USC… supposed to be quite good. The way he was tossing the ball against ND now that sucked . Isn’t he a Heisman hopeful?

All I know is the stats were and time of possession was equal or actually in our favor.

Luck?
- Was it luck that made our DB’s bobble two sure interceptions and turn them into completions?
-Was it luck that made Rochelle fumble the punt inside the 15?
-Was it luck that made three guys standing at the goal line and have the ball take a funny bounce into the end zone for a touch back?
-Was it luck that had a ball go off our receivers hands straight into the DB’s?
-Was it luck that made the Qb fumble forward for a 1st down on 3rd and long?
-Was it luck that had one of the most penalized teams in the conference had less penalties than one of the least penalized teams?
-If luck played a part of it. I’d say MSU, was lucky to get the lead they had.

Last edited:
We actually did move the ball and with less than 5-6 minutes in the half we’re down 7-6 before a muffed punt return. They scored once in the 2nd half we scored 3 times . It is a game made up of 60 minutes. Look at the comparison in stats. Even Gavin as bad as several here believe he is… the kid made 8-9 NFL throws … watched the Williams kid from USC… supposed to be quite good. The way he was tossing the ball against ND now that sucked . Isn’t he a Heisman hopeful?
This was about being out coached not out played. Michigan State is a program in flux. The staff will not be rehired. They are done. Their own fans have said they are checked out.

I didn’t say anything about Gavin or the players today. Outside of Melton having a bad year and Rochelle continuing to make special teams blunders. I thought Gavin played a good game today. A couple mistakes recognizing pressure and situational awareness within the pocket. Kirk doesn’t do gavin any favors with some of the play calls. Can’t run all receivers deep without a check down.

I think the team played well for most of the game. The issue continues to be situational play calling on the offensive side of the ball. Kirk seems to abandon plays that are working. And he is absolutely awful in the red zone. He called a masterful fourth quarter.

Special teams were bad until they were good. You can’t keep putting Rochelle out there and expect him to miraculously improve. Even on very routine plays he seems very unsure of himself. Add the elements and field position to the equation and it is not ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Luck?
- Was it luck that made our DB’s bobble two sure interceptions and turn them into completions?
-Was it luck that made three guys standing at the goal line and have the ball take a funny bounce into the end zone for a touch back?
-Was it luck that had one of the most penalized teams in the conference have less penalties than one of the least penalized teams?
Great post. I’ll add that the penalty count vastly understates the disparity as all but maybe one of their penalties were things that could not go uncalled (out of bounds kick off, for example).

Good or bad, luck or no luck, all I know I Will sleep well tonight knowing we won and not dreaming about the few plays that cost us the game. The season for now is alive and well. See what happened to Maryland today. Cross them off the definite loss list.
Let’s beat Indiana and then go for the gravy.
Can’t sign off tonight without mentioning one more time how special Kyle was today especially on the last series when he ran 7 minutes off the clock. And give credit to the O line who paved the way for him.

Luck?
-Was it luck that had one of the most penalized teams in the conference have less penalties than one of the least penalized teams?
John Belushi Eyebrows GIF

Luck?
Luck is a big part of the game. Sure we had some bad luck early (bad calls and bounces) and good luck late. Am not criticizing. Eli Manning’s luck on one play (Tyree catch) will get him into the HOF.

All that matters is the W. As stated, Shelby is on self-imposed Schiano silence this week. In fact, Shelby is considering the same for the rest of the year if he wins on Saturday; he didn’t foresee 6 wins.

Am happy for him and the players.

This was about being out coached not out played. Michigan State is a program in flux. The staff will not be rehired. They are done. Their own fans have said they are checked out.

I didn’t say anything about Gavin or the players today. Outside of Melton having a bad year and Rochelle continuing to make special teams blunders. I thought Gavin played a good game today. A couple mistakes recognizing pressure and situational awareness within the pocket. Kirk doesn’t do gavin any favors with some of the play calls. Can’t run all receivers deep without a check down.

I think the team played well for most of the game. The issue continues to be situational play calling on the offensive side of the ball. Kirk seems to abandon plays that are working. And he is absolutely awful in the red zone. He called a masterful fourth quarter.

Special teams were bad until they were good. You can’t keep putting Rochelle out there and expect him to miraculously improve. Even on very routine plays he seems very unsure of himself. Add the elements and field position to the equation and it is not ideal.
You actually are correct that MSU will most likely hire a new staff. But there was no being out coached yesterday. How many games have you watched where a comeback such as that transpired . It entails some focus, no quit attitudes and yes luck. Bottom line… Rutgers won… now let’s win next week in Indiana.

You actually are correct that MSU will most likely hire a new staff. But there was no being out coached yesterday. How many games have you watched where a comeback such as that transpired . It entails some focus, no quit attitudes and yes luck. Bottom line… Rutgers won… now let’s win next week in Indiana.
So you think the first half and most of the third quarter was all on the players. I think the exact opposite. I think the players played well even through adversity and the coaching let them down. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Kirk cannot continue to make the same mistakes in the red zone.

Agreed on to next week and Indiana.

I don’t know What the reasons were. Play calling or just the fact that the MSU defense is pretty good ? If you don’t see that then you should go take another look. I go by the final score… the stats when compared say or tell you the game is based upon 60 minutes. . If you are asking would I accept that weekly … no but even when at Minnesota some games were similar .

So you think the first half and most of the third quarter was all on the players. I think the exact opposite. I think the players played well even through adversity and the coaching let them down. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Kirk cannot continue to make the same mistakes in the red zone.

Agreed on to next week and Indiana.
If you watched college football yesterday you noticed many teams who had similar issues.Were they all the result of bad coaching? Uhhhh…. No.

I don’t know What the reasons were. Play calling or just the fact that the MSU defense is pretty good ? If you don’t see that then you should go take another look. I go by the final score… the stats when compared say or tell you the game is based upon 60 minutes. . If you are asking would I accept that weekly … no but even when at Minnesota some games were similar .
I go by the final score as well and 60 minutes of play. That is why I prefaced my opinion as being out coached for the better part of 3 quarters. You cannot continue to dig holes like this. That is why I said our staff should not be getting out coached by an interim head coach and a staff on life support. Again I am not taking away anything from our players or MsU. I think both teams played with heart and passion.

Minnesota? Don’t get the relevance.

I go by the final score as well and 60 minutes of play. That is why I prefaced my opinion as being out coached for the better part of 3 quarters. You cannot continue to dig holes like this. That is why I said our staff should not be getting out coached by an interim head coach and a staff on life support. Again I am not taking away anything from our players or MsU. I think both teams played with heart and passion.

Minnesota? Don’t get the relevance.
Maybe you should know Kirk’s history beyond PSU or the NFL….he was the OC at Minnesota under the Boat Rower. Had a great running game … very similar to what we now have . If Gavin Wimsatt continues to improve the next several years could be some fun times .

Maybe you should know Kirk’s history beyond PSU or the NFL….he was the OC at Minnesota under the Boat Rower. Had a great running game … very similar to what we now have . If Gavin Wimsatt continues to improve the next several years could be some fun times .
Yea I know his history. Thought you were discussing a Rutgers versus Minnesota. That’s why I asked for clarification.

That wasn't a lucky bounce. He caught it on the fly.
C’mon dude, that’s ridiculous. If you didn’t see it live then at least watch the replay. It bounced up and he caught on a dead run.

Too often pure bullshit here turns into false facts.

Reactions: hoquat63
Because it’s against the rules …so it would be a penalty
What rule is that? The ball went 10 yards. The kicking team has just as much right to that ball as the receiving team at that point. Only way for the receiving team to insure an unopposed possession is if they call a fair catch. Which they didn’t.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Jimpeg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT