ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Tournament Thread :

For the love of God, please stop it. At a freaking movie, trying to sneak in updates and have to weed through this tantrum bullshit. Get a room, private message each other, meet in an alley, I don’t care what you do, just stop derailing this thread. Please.

Thank you.

Go RU!
Diane

Last edited:
Van Brill getting destroyed by an Iowa backup, ugh. Kid was just so much stronger than him. He couldn't do anything. 9-2

@rondi what movie? How is it? :)

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Do not see an AA in his future. He’s not going to surprise anyone this year. People know how to wrestle him now. Our team is very mediocre outside of Ash and Nick
Also love Gravina but just not same wrestler used to be with Shoulder Injury.

JVB struggling this season. My fear this year was that people would catch on to his style. However, that same style could pull off some crazy stuff so anything is possible.

This year is and always was about two wrestlers going for the crown.

Van Brill getting destroyed by an Iowa backup, ugh. Kid was just so much stronger than him. He couldn't do anything. 9-2

@rondi what movie? How is it? :)

He was up 1-0 and close to a TD when he got caught in an awkward tie up and put 1st in danger, and then held on his back for 4 NF...Score was definitely misleading in that match

Reactions: ruready07
He was up 1-0 and close to a TD when he got caught in an awkward tie up and put 1st in danger, and then held on his back for 4 NF...Score was definitely misleading in that match
He gets the kid he was losing to but pinned in last second win at Cliff Keen for 7th place match..ain’t gonna be easy but at least got to podium

Do not see an AA in his future. He’s not going to surprise anyone this year. People know how to wrestle him now. Our team is very mediocre outside of Ash and Nick
This. I think “mediocre” is being kind. Outside of Ash and Nick we’re pretty terrible. If one or both brings a national championship to Rutgers in March, though, I’ll be a very happy fan.

Glosser is a very good wrestler but if you have hopes to be an AA it’s someone you should win against.

Scott holds on and pulls it out, nice win. The team has to hang around to watch Scott wrestle again, lol.

Reactions: brentx35
JVB losing the way he did in bloodround has messed with his confidence unfortunately.. Hope he can turn it around..

Since JVB already graduated, does any know if he practices w the team or on his own? I heard Billy Smith had graduated his last year, and was student teaching, and practicing on his own. Just wondering.

JVB isn't in the school of ed (at least in the teacher ed program) to the best of my knowledge so he is most likely just taking regular grad classes. Billy Smith was student teaching the fall semester of his grad year, but the student teaching semester ends the week before Christmas so he was back with the team from then on.

Reactions: Abro1975
Since JVB already graduated, does any know if he practices w the team or on his own? I heard Billy Smith had graduated his last year, and was student teaching, and practicing on his own. Just wondering.

JVB practices with the team regularly participating in all drills.

JVB will be fine. He was beating the kid until he got caught late. Give him a break

Lineup moving forward

125-Metzler-Aguilar's results show he needs to redshirt. Even if he is still beating Metzler no need to pull him out
141-Lipari-as most have mentioned he earned the spot out in Chicago. I would think they go with him the rest of the way so he can get enough matches or pull an upset or two and try and qualify(either guy are fringe qualifiers).
174-Willie Scott-I would also go with Scott for similar reasons to 141. See if he can get a few Big10 victories to try and qualify. Plus Scott's style is that he could actually pull a big upset, where Grello is a 3-2 type guy. Both are fringe guys but maybe Scott can win a match or two at NCAA's(if he can qualify).

And Scott gets careless and gets pinned. Tournament over for Rutgers.

Was he controlling the match or did he get in a weird position with a poor decision? I’m sure there is no way for him or Grello to drop down to 165.

Was he controlling the match or did he get in a weird position with a poor decision? I’m sure there is no way for him or Grello to drop down to 165.

Yes, IMO, he had control, over about 2 min of riding time, kept trying to tilt, got too high, opponent turned him and pinned him.

I don't know who is certified at what weights, but Glasgow seems talented but has been injured for 2 years now, so not sure how reliable he is going to be this year or ever.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If there was anyway in hell Willie could've dropped down to 165 he would have definitely been a tough out. But that ship has sailed. He and Lipari wrestled the best at this tournament.

"Scott tried getting a cradle locked up and tried to roll through... grip was loosening up and awkward position — should have just bailed and given up the reversal. Would have been a big win for him."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT