ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Hobbs

Except the men’s program is not in free fall and has two of the top three recruits in the country. Recruits NOT going to Kansas or UK or UNC or Duke.

Monster difference.
The RU WBB program is in sad shape , but has a few food players coming in and has a real good one that seems to be staying.
RU MBB took a hit last year when 2 of its better players left and couldn't really be replaced , which might have cost the W-L record this season , making the program have a losing one.
Now another top player is leaving , but two real good ones have committed.
The point I'm making is : both programs are in a downward trend, RU WBB taking a harder fall.
But both programs have light at the end of tunnell, even if the WBB program's light is dim.
I expect a winning program from the MBB team or their HC needs to be put on the hot seat in the 2025-6 season.
CW should be on that seat now and if the WBB program doesn't show its headed upward in 2024-5, CW needs to be replaced.

Her hiring satisfied a certain segment of people who were less interested in winning and more interested in social engineering.

She has no business being a B1G coach. Nothing in her track record suggests she should be leading this program and why no other school would have hired her.

Complete and utter BS - if you really knew anything about the search for a coach you'd know that both Carla Berube and Kim Arrico turned down the job as did Toyelle Wilson. Very difficult to follow a legendary coach and Hobbs struggled to find someone to take over, especially because the program was down as well. You could argue he should have had a succession plan in place but your "social engineering" comment is nonsense.

She has no business being a B1G coach. Nothing in her track record suggests she should be leading this program and why no other school would have hired her.

CW has some history of being a capable coach in the BIG10:

Big Ten Coach of the Year (2012, 2013, 2014)
WBCA National Coach of the Year Finalist (2012, 2013)

Yes, it’s 10 years ago and yes she was an assistant after being let go. However, as it’s been stated in this thread, the available pool of candidates at the time of CVS’s retirement announcement was limited. We have no idea who Hobbs approached or who declined in from that pool.

IMO it is what it is, she gets one more year to make it right, then RU should move on if it’s serious about the program.

Also, when mentioning Berube and Arrico,.....

They both are already in upwardly trending programs. Arrico is at a school that probably gives her everything she wants and , I would think may have a better national recognition than RU. Berube may be content to stack Ivy Championships while waiting for Geno to retire.

Not familiar with Toyelle's success since turning down our offer, if that is what happened. just looking at her W-L record over the last two seasons, the anti-CW portion of our fanbase would be criticizing her the same way they are CW.

If Hobbs wasn't fully happy with the limited choices for HC at the time of Viv's retirement, there was another option. I mentioned it back at the time. Still feel like it had a good chance of working out for the program and CVS' eventual departure.

I begged for the AD to step in and replace Tim with either Michelle or Nadine. Michelle seemed like she preferred an assistant role and for that reason, IMO, I felt like Nadine was an actual potential replacement. We could have had a season to see what she could do with our program.

For those who may not be aware, Nadine had been a COY at prior HC spot. She has done nothing but lift her current program, Virginia St., from a 13-17 before her to 23-5 this past season. More impressively, ....5-12 conference record before her to 8-8 in conference her first season and 13-4 conference record this year.

Although we'll never know, I would have loved to see what she could have done as the leader of that talented roster of Osh, Lasha, Shug, Sakima, Sayawni, K. Sanderlin, etc, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT