ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney Saturday Night Games Thread

Yeah but none of those things are related to your points about Stony Brook…he blew the Houston game and I tweeted last year about how it was a problem the way RU looked trying to close out games.

I’m not building anyone a statue, I personally think Pikiell is a good, not great high-major coach until proven otherwise…I was just responding to the points you made about AEC Tournament and NIT when he was at Stony Brook.
Yeah, but also he counts Houston as a “big moment” but not the previous game against Clemson. If we had beaten Houston and lost to Syracuse in the Sweet 16 then Syracuse would be the “big moment” and Houston would be ignored. It’s a game you can’t win with this kind of logic unless you actually win the national championship.

Would you describe a conference game against a horrendous team as a “big moment” if we had won?

If the “moment size” classification is dependent on the results then a discussion of record in “big moments” becomes meaningless.

Would you describe a conference game against a horrendous team as a “big moment” if we had won?

If the “moment size” classification is dependent on the results then a discussion of record in “big moments” becomes meaningless.
Yes the Minn game! That one game cost us a tournament bid! Pretty big lost!

Let’s try it this way! When you need Puke to win a game to take the program to the next level he ALWAYS loses.

I feel like he has reached his level and for the program to build on it’s success that should be credited to him we should move on.

Yeah, but also he counts Houston as a “big moment” but not the previous game against Clemson. If we had beaten Houston and lost to Syracuse in the Sweet 16 then Syracuse would be the “big moment” and Houston would be ignored. It’s a game you can’t win with this kind of logic unless you actually win the national championship.
I hear you, I also personally don’t look at the ND game as being “blown”…the Paul inbounds turnover was bad but he also put them up 2 seconds later…RU was one stop away from winning after that and Blake Wesley made a great individual play.

To me, the lack of offense and coherent offensive system is the biggest legit criticism of Pikiell, there are other things too but that’s tops on the list.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Yes the Minn game! That one game cost us a tournament bid! Pretty big lost!

Let’s try it this way! When you need Puke to win a game to take the program to the next level he ALWAYS loses.

I feel like he has reached his level and for the program to build on it’s success that should be credited to him we should move on.
Any workable definition of “big moment” needs to be identifiable prior to seeing the result of the moment. No sane human would have classified a random conference game against the like #250 team a big moment prior to the game.

When you have the game won! Clearly in hand and you PANIC . You go four corners take the air out of the ball and believe defense will be enough to take you home. You let the opponent off the ropes and cost us what could have been a huge opportunity. It’s not just a lost, it’s how you lose and in the moment you lose. Program building loses

You know Alabama wasnt really ending the season well or did all that well in sec tourney. Very forgotten about heading into this yourney. Clemson as well. Yes you have your Uconn types each year but every year there is one or 2 out of the blue types runs Its all about draw and matchups and gathering confidence each game

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I hear you, I also personally don’t look at the ND game as being “blown”…the Paul inbounds turnover was bad but he also put them up 2 seconds later…RU was one stop away from winning after that and Blake Wesley made a great individual play.

To me, the lack of offense and coherent offensive system is the biggest legit criticism of Pikiell, there are other things too but that’s tops on the list.
This is fair but my concern in that game was the game plan amd zero adjustments. Pike decided pre game ND would not beat us from 3 and he took that away. Problem ND went 5 out all game and used that to kill Cliff in space. There big man destroyed Cliff w back door and screens around the perimeter. Why not go box and 1, 2 /3, 1-3-1 anything to give them a different look? Inbounds and timeout usage I can argue but won’t

Any workable definition of “big moment” needs to be identifiable prior to seeing the result of the moment. No sane human would have classified a random conference game against the like #250 team a big moment prior to the game.
Here’s the problem that loss against that #250 kept us out of the NCAA tournament and into the NIT. You win that game and we’re safely in the field. You will understand basketball before we are done.

Here’s the problem that loss against that #250 kept us out of the NCAA tournament and into the NIT. You win that game and we’re safely in the field. You will understand basketball before we are done.
You aren’t listening or understanding.

If you want to talk about “big moments” you need to define them in a way that is independent of the result. If you define “big moment” in a way that includes “loss” then you are going to find that every coach does badly in “big moments”.

Hopefully Pike is watching this tournament. Very obvious how important offense is in basketball.

Offense beats defense in this sport

Reactions: RUJMM78

If you want to talk about “big moments” you need to define them in a way that is independent of the result. If you define “big moment” in a way that includes “loss” then you are going to find that every coach does badly in “big moments”.
Ok ! Was winning or losing the Minnesota game the deciding factor of Rutgers made the tournament last year? If we win that game and make the tournament do Cam and Paul stay? Does making the tournament 3 years in a row help with recruiting and exposure? You decide what games or big or not but no matter how you define it, that loss to the #250 team n missing the tournament hurt

Ok ! Was winning or losing the Minnesota game the deciding factor of Rutgers made the tournament last year? If we win that game and make the tournament do Cam and Paul stay? Does making the tournament 3 years in a row help with recruiting and exposure? You decide what games or big or not but no matter how you define it, that loss to the #250 team n missing the tournament hurt
Yes losing to the #250 team generally doesn’t help you.

Let’s go back to your definition of “big moment”. Please provide a working definition that does not contain a reference to the result of the game so that we can have this discussion.

Another example: Before tip off of the Houston game if we lost was that a big deal? NO.
However When your into the game and you give it up like he did is that a big moment? YES.
Opportunity lost and a huge one it was

Why is the game we lost at Minnesota last year a big moment, but the time where we won our last game of the season at Minnesota to lock up a tournament bid two seasons earlier not a big moment?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Another example: Before tip off of the Houston game if we lost was that a big deal? NO.
However When your into the game and you give it up like he did is that a big moment? YES.
Well no that’s actually really bad logic and demonstrates the problem here.

Please come up with a definition that doesn’t reference the result so we can have this discussion.

Reactions: cm_13
Yes losing to the #250 team generally doesn’t help you.

Let’s go back to your definition of “big moment”. Please provide a working definition that does not contain a reference to the result of the game so that we can have this discussion.
Result: like a coaching decision ? More than happy to answer your question. Just ensure of the question

Why is the game we lost at Minnesota last year a big moment, but the time where we won our last game of the season at Minnesota to lock up a tournament bid two seasons earlier not a big moment?
Penn state home win locked up the tournament!
Losing to Minnesota cost us a tournament. Might have cost us Cam and Paul this year. Exposure and recruiting help!
Thats why

Penn state home win locked up the tournament!
Losing to Minnesota cost us a tournament. Might have cost us Cam and Paul this year. Exposure and recruiting help!
Thats why
2020-2021. We beat Minnesota on the road the last game of the season to secure a tournament bid.

Penn State was 2021-2022. And we won that game too.

You say Pike always loses in big moments but for some reason you seem to only count games we lose as big moments.

Result: like a coaching decision ? More than happy to answer your question. Just ensure of the question
You want to talk about “big moments”. In order to do that we need a definition of “big moment.” Whether a moment (i.e. a game) qualifies as a big moment has to be independent of the result (i.e whether we won or lost said game)

A loss can be a big moment if and only if a win in the same situation would also be a big moment.

2020-2021. We beat Minnesota on the road the last game of the season to secure a tournament bid.

Penn State was 2021-2022.

3 years ago we were a 7 seed that win why great would not have kept us out of the tournament. Maybe we slide from a 7 to 10 seed so clearly not even close to the same

Separately, it’s also not correct to claim Minnesota as the deciding factor in keeping us out of the tournament last year. Flipping the result of any of our losses to a W probably gets us in, so any of those would equally be the “deciding factor”.

You want to talk about “big moments”. In order to do that we need a definition of “big moment.” Whether a moment (i.e. a game) qualifies as a big moment has to be independent of the result (i.e whether we won or lost said game)

A loss can be a big moment if and only if a win in the same situation would also be a big moment.
Ok using your definition in the last paragraph. Losing to Minnesota last year was a huge moment. The lost kept us out of the tournament while a win would have put us in the tournament. Simple

Separately, it’s also not correct to claim Minnesota as the deciding factor in keeping us out of the tournament last year. Flipping the result of any of our losses to a W probably gets us in, so any of those would equally be the “deciding factor”.
Wrong who you lose to and who you beat matters. Thats why a lost to the #250 team matters and kept us out.

Ok using your definition in the last paragraph. Losing to Minnesota last year was a huge moment. The lost kept us out of the tournament while a win would have put us in the tournament. Simple
Well no. Sorry. There are more rules for a workable definition. The next one is: it can’t be dependent on information from the future.

So what you said above is not a valid way to define a big moment because it requires knowing information that was not available at the time that game actually took place.

Well no. Sorry. There are more rules for a workable definition. The next one is: it can’t be dependent on information from the future.

So what you said above is not a valid way to define a big moment because it requires knowing information that was not available at the time that game actually took place.
So I use your definition! You look like a fool and we change the definition? Lol

So I use your definition! You look like a fool and we change the definition? Lol
To be clear these are not my rules, I’m just explaining to you how to come up with a logically consistent definition. It really ought to be obvious to you that relying on information from the future would not make sense, but here we are.

Also that’s false ! Everyone knew and it was public knowledge RU could not lose to Minnesota if it wanted to make the tournament before the first tip of that game. You can view the boards for a history lesson on that.

Wrong once again

If you would like to change your definition again to look even more foolish please do

Also that’s false ! Everyone knew and it was public knowledge RU could not lose to Minnesota if it wanted to make the tournament before the first tip of that game. You can view the boards for a history lesson on that.

Wrong once again

If you would like to change your definition again to look even more foolish please do
That’s interesting, considering 95% of Bracket Matrix had us in after we lost that game and multiple additional games. Almost seems like what you are saying here is not true.

3 years ago we were a 7 seed that win why great would not have kept us out of the tournament. Maybe we slide from a 7 to 10 seed so clearly not even close to the same
We weren’t a 7 seed. We were a 10 seed when we beat Clemson. Clemson was the 7 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT