ADVERTISEMENT

Newest numbers for conference payoffs

Someone was asking about a comparison by conference. This is from SB Nation; take it for what its worth.

Link: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/27/8663047/college-sports-revenue-oregon

Screen_Shot_2015-05-27_at_9.18.56_AM.0.png

Who can the SEC get that worth more than $30 million?
VT and (UNC, NC ST). Gets them good chunk of VA and NC. And IF expansion allows them to renegotiate, gets them more money. Is it it more than $30 mill? No idea. More to it than just money. Also about footprint and market share.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you get that they don't make 15M/yr over the life of the 20M deal. It's seems just like any of the other tv contracts we read about. The number reported in the media is the average over the life (15M in this case) but initially it's smaller and as the deal proceeds the number grows and becomes larger than the reported average.

To me that contract looks like it says the minimum Texas gets is ~11M and that number grows 3% every year over the life of the contract (page 17 clause 1). I'm not sure why you think it hasn't gone up. I'd think its probably gone up 3% every year since the LHN has been in existence. If you actually work that out, it's going to be a figure close to 300M. So over the life of the contract the average is ~15M. The 2nd clause on page 17 seems seems like Texas would get 70% of the profit after ESPN recoups 295M. I don't see anything related to not increasing the payout by 3% every year. The only reduction I see is a reduction related to the amount of rent ESPN pays to Texas. Of course Texas has to pay IMG a cut out of their revenues as well. Outside of that I don't see anything, what am I missing that you're referring to.

Also don't see anything in the contract negating the extra 10M Texas makes from other multimedia rights sited in the other articles. The articles are similar but I don't know how they sourced their info and what article is the source if they're both referring to the same source and what makes you think it's wrong.

As to the tier 3, I think you're missing my point. If you take tier 3 as a whole, it means different things to different schools. Even among schools in the same conference it can mean different things. For some it could me concessions, seat licenses and for others not or for some naming rights or for others not. It can be different from school to school. That's why I'm focusing only on the tier 3 tv rights only. That is something that is included in all the conference distributions, save the B12. That allows apples to apples between conferences outside of the B12.

You say the ACC and B10 can't be compared if you include tier 3 tv or you'd have to leave out the BTN. You can compare them and with the BTN too. The B10s conference distribution includes all tier 1-3 tv rights from BTN/ESPN, bowl payouts, NCAA credits, etc.. The ACC's conference distribution would include all tier 1-3 tv rights from ESPN, bowl payouts, NCAA credits, etc.. It's an apples to apples comparison of conference distributions. That goes for the PAC12/SEC as well.

It's only the B12 that is the outlier in getting an apples to apple comparison because their tier 3 tv is lumped in with all the other tier 3 stuff which varies from school to school. Even if you did splice out the tier 3 tv from the B12 schools it wouldn't be a uniform number across the board because each school's tier 3 tv rights will have a different value unlike the uniform distribution the conference networks payout to each member.

I'm only comparing conference distributions not what each school like OU/UNC/Michigan/OSU/USC, etc..have in other deals with the IMGs/Learfields of the world. The problem is B12 schools lump those kind of deals in with some of their tier 3 tv so you can't do an apples to apples with the other conferences which don't lump those things in.

BTW you didn't answer when I asked what you think the average value of the B12's various schools tier 3 tv rights are worth. Out of that 6.5M OU gets, how much do you think comes from tv rights to football/basketball/Olympic sports not including stuff like concessions, seat licenses, naming rights etc... Now OU's number will be different from the others but just what's your estimate as to the average worth of tier 3 tv rights in the B12.

Ok, here’s the first problem. Where do you get that the deal is 20 million? There has been nothing stated about a $20 million figure for Texas and the LHN. There has never been a total amount reported for the LHN. For example, the ACC’s contract is $3.6 billion over 15 years. Well, you can easily calculate the average by dividing the total amount by the number of years. Then you can divide the yearly amount by the number of teams. However, there has never been a total amount given for the LHN. The only thing we have been told is that the average payout is $15 million a year.

That said, here is my point. There is only one guaranteed increase for Texas, and that’s 3% of the $11 million total. 3% of 11 million is $330k. (11, 000, 000 * 0.03 = 330, 000) The LHN has been around for 3 years. That’s $990, 000. 11, 000, 000 + 990,000 = $11, 990, 000. How is that getting you to a $15 million average? It would take 10 or 15 years to hit $15 million at that rate.

Regarding the other incentives, they haven’t been reached. ESPN still hasn’t paid off the $295 million, because of the LHN’s poor performance. Even when they pay it off (if they ever do), how much will that 70% be worth? If LHN performs like it does now, the profits won’t be that big, thus the 70% won’t be that big.
Now, as I said, that $11 million is not the full share. Texas has to split that with IMG. IMG isn’t giving this away for free, so you are probably looking at a million or two at least for IMG. That’s not going to bring Texas anywhere close to $15 million. The only way for Texas to get to $15 million is to add in the rest of the money from IMG, for the other components.

That leaves us with two possible options. One, the $15 million was for the LHN and was reported incorrectly, as it should have been a different number. Two, the $15 million was accurate, and it reflects the total amount Texas receives for Tier 3, not the LHN by itself.

No, I understand your point about Tier 3. What you are doing is moving back and forth between two situations. Are we making a conference vs. conference comparison, or individual school vs. individual school? If it’s con. vs. con., then no, you don’t add Tier 3 at all. In that comparison, were are simply trying to compare how much money each conference distributes. It doesn’t matter what they distribute. It only matters how much they distribute.

Now, if we're making a school vs school comparison (as you seem to be), then Tier 3 matters. However, you can’t do what you are trying to do. You say you want to count Tier 3, but then you narrow it to only TV Tier 3. Well, that again gives you a false comparison. I showed you this before. Oklahoma gets $6.5 million from Tier 3, and North Carolina gets $11 million. What you want to do is count the Tier 3 for Oklahoma, but not count it for North Carolina. Well, that’s an inaccurate comparison, because you are artificially narrowing the gap, when North Carolina actually has more money that you are not counting. That’s not giving you an accurate estimation of the difference between the two schools.

Aside from that, how much money are you giving for Oklahoma? Are you giving them all the $6.5 million? If you are, that’s inaccurate, because $6.5 is more than just TV. It includes radio, digital, etc. You can’t count that for Oklahoma, but not for North Carolina. So how much of the $6.5 million does Oklahoma get?

To answer your question, most schools get maybe $1-2 million for the TV portion of Tier 3. That’s why I gave you the Oklahoma comparison. They make $6.5 million, but that’s the total, including more that TV. As I pointed out, North Carolina gets $11 million from Tier 3, and that’s without TV. The point being, you can’t just assume that Oklahoma’s $6.5 is mostly TV, because many schools can get that much without TV.

The B1G's legacy schools were projecting a distribution of 32 million in 2014-2015. Projections are typically conservative so could see that number being around 33. Projections were done prior to BTN distribution on the east coast. In this case B1G will be above SEC even before renewing the tier 1 TV rights

Ok, here’s the first problem. Where do you get that the deal is 20 million? There has been nothing stated about a $20 million figure for Texas and the LHN. There has never been a total amount reported for the LHN. For example, the ACC’s contract is $3.6 billion over 15 years. Well, you can easily calculate the average by dividing the total amount by the number of years. Then you can divide the yearly amount by the number of teams. However, there has never been a total amount given for the LHN. The only thing we have been told is that the average payout is $15 million a year.

That said, here is my point. There is only one guaranteed increase for Texas, and that’s 3% of the $11 million total. 3% of 11 million is $330k. (11, 000, 000 * 0.03 = 330, 000) The LHN has been around for 3 years. That’s $990, 000. 11, 000, 000 + 990,000 = $11, 990, 000. How is that getting you to a $15 million average? It would take 10 or 15 years to hit $15 million at that rate.

Regarding the other incentives, they haven’t been reached. ESPN still hasn’t paid off the $295 million, because of the LHN’s poor performance. Even when they pay it off (if they ever do), how much will that 70% be worth? If LHN performs like it does now, the profits won’t be that big, thus the 70% won’t be that big.
Now, as I said, that $11 million is not the full share. Texas has to split that with IMG. IMG isn’t giving this away for free, so you are probably looking at a million or two at least for IMG. That’s not going to bring Texas anywhere close to $15 million. The only way for Texas to get to $15 million is to add in the rest of the money from IMG, for the other components.

That leaves us with two possible options. One, the $15 million was for the LHN and was reported incorrectly, as it should have been a different number. Two, the $15 million was accurate, and it reflects the total amount Texas receives for Tier 3, not the LHN by itself.

No, I understand your point about Tier 3. What you are doing is moving back and forth between two situations. Are we making a conference vs. conference comparison, or individual school vs. individual school? If it’s con. vs. con., then no, you don’t add Tier 3 at all. In that comparison, were are simply trying to compare how much money each conference distributes. It doesn’t matter what they distribute. It only matters how much they distribute.

Now, if we're making a school vs school comparison (as you seem to be), then Tier 3 matters. However, you can’t do what you are trying to do. You say you want to count Tier 3, but then you narrow it to only TV Tier 3. Well, that again gives you a false comparison. I showed you this before. Oklahoma gets $6.5 million from Tier 3, and North Carolina gets $11 million. What you want to do is count the Tier 3 for Oklahoma, but not count it for North Carolina. Well, that’s an inaccurate comparison, because you are artificially narrowing the gap, when North Carolina actually has more money that you are not counting. That’s not giving you an accurate estimation of the difference between the two schools.

Aside from that, how much money are you giving for Oklahoma? Are you giving them all the $6.5 million? If you are, that’s inaccurate, because $6.5 is more than just TV. It includes radio, digital, etc. You can’t count that for Oklahoma, but not for North Carolina. So how much of the $6.5 million does Oklahoma get?

To answer your question, most schools get maybe $1-2 million for the TV portion of Tier 3. That’s why I gave you the Oklahoma comparison. They make $6.5 million, but that’s the total, including more that TV. As I pointed out, North Carolina gets $11 million from Tier 3, and that’s without TV. The point being, you can’t just assume that Oklahoma’s $6.5 is mostly TV, because many schools can get that much without TV.

It's not a 20M deal it's a typo. If you read the context of the first line I said 15M/yr over the life of the 20M deal and obviously that's a typo that should read over the life of the 20 year deal.

As to the reading of the contract, I don't see it as a one time increase of 3% at all. I see it as a "compounded" figure where the first yr it's 11M, the next year it's 11.33M, 11.67M, 12.02M, 12.38M, 12.75M, 13.13M, 13.52, 13.93, 14.35, 14.78, etc.. It does take about 10 years to hit 15M and if you take it out over the 20 years of the deal it's going to be a figure that averages ~15M/yr. That 3% isn't a one time deal, it says a minimum annual guaranteed royalty (initially 11M) "which amount shall increase by 3% per contract year." First you said it hadn't gone up because ESPN hadn't gotten it's overhead and now you've changed it to a only a 1 time increase of 3%. They are getting that annual 3% increase and if ESPN ever gets that 295M back then also 70% of the profits (the incremental royalty referred to). I also haven't really seen anything you linked/wrote that rejects the info I sited in 2 articles about Texas earning an extra 10M in other multimedia from the 2 articles. Mind you 2 articles from a sports business publication and one from a business publication, not just some blog post of some john doe of the internet.

Texas' tv deal is just like any of the other tv deals out there, they start out lower than the reported average increase over time and become greater than the reported average by the end of the deal. IMG is included in the 15M and I've never suggested that it wasn't. The rent ESPN pays Texas is also part of it. One of the quotes I posted even says as much about IMG's cut.

I'm not comparing school to school and I'm not moving back and forth at all. I don't care about what UNC makes in tier 3 without tv vs. whomever because their tier 3 consists of different things and is valued differently than others. That becomes a school to school comparison and I'm not looking for that. I didn't say most of OU's 6.5M is tier 3 tv. It could be, it might not be I don't know. I don't really know but I guess it would at least be 1-2M. But all I want is to pull out the tier 3 tv portion of the 6.5M and then I can compare between conference distributions with the other 4. That's not going back and forth that's trying to make an apples and apples comparison. Schools all have their own intrinsic values and brand equities that vary and if you take all of tier 3 you begin muddling the comparison between conference distribution and start mixing in intrinsic values of the various schools.

I'm only comparing conference to conference distribution and I don't agree with you. If one conference is including all these sources and another isn't then it's not an apples to apple comparison. The B12 tier 3 tv isn't technically a conference distribution but that's the figure necessary to make an apples to apples comparison. Between the 4 conferences, save the B12, it's exactly the same as I showed you between the ACC/B10 even though the ACC doesn't have a network. Tier 1-3 tv, bowls, playoff money, NCAA credits are included in the conference distribution regardless of the source. The B12 is the only one the muddles the picture because their tier 3 tv rights isn't part of the conference distribution and is grouped in with all their other tier 3 stuff. I'd like to make a comparison of the conference distribution of the other 4 conferences with the "conference distribution" of the B12 with tier 3 tv. It's just hard to do that for any of the B12 members except Texas.

To me, Texas is the only one where you have a rough idea of that tier 3 tv figure. The 15M reported includes IMG so strip that out and you still have a rough idea of Texas' tier 3 tv. You're too fixated on that 15M being a figure they are making right now and trying to get to it by including other stuff. The 15M reported figure is just an average over the 20 years and a 1000 foot view of the contract. I don't focus on that being off by a little because of the IMG deduction. Nothing you've posted has dissuaded me from thinking that about the LHN. The others in the B12, I don't know because whatever tier 3 money they report includes everything and doesn't strip out tier 3 tv.

Last edited:
It's not a 20M deal it's a typo. If you read the context of the first line I said 15M/yr over the life of the 20M deal and obviously that's a typo that should read over the life of the 20 year deal.

As to the reading of the contract, I don't see it as a one time increase of 3% at all. I see it as a "compounded" figure where the first yr it's 11M, the next year it's 11.33M, 11.67M, 12.02M, 12.38M, 12.75M, 13.13M, 13.52, 13.93, 14.35, 14.78, etc.. It does take about 10 years to hit 15M and if you take it out over the 20 years of the deal it's going to be a figure that averages ~15M/yr. That 3% isn't a one time deal, it says a minimum annual guaranteed royalty (initially 11M) "which amount shall increase by 3% per contract year." First you said it hadn't gone up because ESPN hadn't gotten it's overhead and now you've changed it to a only a 1 time increase of 3%. They are getting that annual 3% increase and if ESPN ever gets that 295M back then also 70% of the profits (the incremental royalty referred to). I also haven't really seen anything you linked/wrote that rejects the info I sited in 2 articles about Texas earning an extra 10M in other multimedia from the 2 articles. Mind you 2 articles from a sports business publication and one from a business publication, not just some blog post of some john doe of the internet.

Ok, first thing, when I said it hadn't gone up, I meant that it hadn't increased, as far paying off the investment, or paying the 70% of the profits.

Now, I didn't claim the 3% is a one-time thing. You are just assuming that the 3% is compounded. Says the "minimum" will increase by 3 percent. Not sure whether that means it's compounded or not.

Even with that said, you are still leaving out the cut for IMG. Let's say you are correct about the average. Ok, well $15 million figure you calculated still doesn't account for IMG's split, so you still aren't getting to the $15 million average.

Now about the extra $10 million. Here is the problem with that. Texas had an original Tier 3 contract with IMG. That included all the Tier 3 rights. Some of those rights had to be shifted to the LHN contract to create the network. The thing you are missing is that you have to subtract out those rights from the original contract before you add them to the LHN. So, you have to subtract out those rights from the $10 million in the original contract, before you add it to the LHN. Otherwise, you are counting the money twice.

Texas' tv deal is just like any of the other tv deals out there, they start out lower than the reported average increase over time and become greater than the reported average by the end of the deal. IMG is included in the 15M and I've never suggested that it wasn't. The rent ESPN pays Texas is also part of it. One of the quotes I posted even says as much about IMG's cut.

No, that's incorrect. You are correct that all contracts increase over time. (The 3% we talked about.) However, other contracts don't have the incentives like the LHN. For example, there is no clause in the Big Ten's contract, or the ACC's contract that says "you get 70% of the profit once we hit X amount." Sorry, that's simply not correct. Those contracts simply pay a fee for the broadcast rights. They don't have these add-ins like the LHN. (Obviously, that's because the LHN isn't going to command the same viewership as an entire conference, as we have seen.)

I'm not comparing school to school and I'm not moving back and forth at all. I don't care about what UNC makes in tier 3 without tv vs. whomever because their tier 3 consists of different things and is valued differently than others. That becomes a school to school comparison and I'm not looking for that. I didn't say most of OU's 6.5M is tier 3 tv. It could be, it might not be I don't know. I don't really know but I guess it would at least be 1-2M. But all I want is to pull out the tier 3 tv portion of the 6.5M and then I can compare between conference distributions with the other 4. That's not going back and forth that's trying to make an apples and apples comparison. Schools all have their own intrinsic values and brand equities that vary and if you take all of tier 3 you begin muddling the comparison between conference distribution and start mixing in intrinsic values of the various schools.

No, you are wrong about Tier 3. Tier 3 is strictly about media rights. IT has nothing to do with concessions, seating licenses, or naming rights. Sorry, that's 100% incorrect. Tier 3 can mean different media rights, such as TV, radio, digital, but the term only applies to media rights.

I'm only comparing conference to conference distribution and I don't agree with you. If one conference is including all these sources and another isn't then it's not an apples to apple comparison. The B12 tier 3 tv isn't technically a conference distribution but that's the figure necessary to make an apples to apples comparison. Between the 4 conferences, save the B12, it's exactly the same as I showed you between the ACC/B10 even though the ACC doesn't have a network. Tier 1-3 tv, bowls, playoff money, NCAA credits are included in the conference distribution regardless of the source. The B12 is the only one the muddles the picture because their tier 3 tv rights isn't part of the conference distribution and is grouped in with all their other tier 3 stuff. I'd like to make a comparison of the conference distribution of the other 4 conferences with the "conference distribution" of the B12 with tier 3 tv. It's just hard to do that for any of the B12 members except Texas.

I don't care if you disagree. You are wrong. The Big 12 simply doesn't pay out Tier 3 rights, so that affects the value of the conference. If you add in Tier 3 for the big 12, that's inaccurate, because the Big 12 doesn't include that value.

It's also funny how you think it's "apples-to-apples" to include conferences networks, when on conference doesn't have one, but you can't include Tier 3 rights if both conferences don't have them. That's a classic case of having your cake and eating it too.

To me, Texas is the only one where you have a rough idea of that tier 3 tv figure. The 15M reported includes IMG so strip that out and you still have a rough idea of Texas' tier 3 tv. You're too fixated on that 15M being a figure they are making right now and trying to get to it by including other stuff. The 15M reported figure is just an average over the 20 years and a 1000 foot view of the contract. I don't focus on that being off by a little because of the IMG deduction. Nothing you've posted has dissuaded me from thinking that about the LHN. The others in the B12, I don't know because whatever tier 3 money they report includes everything and doesn't strip out tier 3 tv.

That statement just illustrates that you don’t understand my argument. Let me clarify.

I clearly understand that $15 million is just the average. I am NOT claiming that Texas is (or should) make $15 million right now.

What I am saying is, we have been told, specifically—specifically—that Texas gets $15 million on average. Well, even as your calculation shows, Texas can’t get to a $15 million average, because they have to split the money with IMG. Even if the payout gets to $15 million the way you calculated it, that’s before the payout before it gets split with IMG. You also can’t rely on the other incentives, because there is no accurate way to predict how much those incentives will be worth. It’s not even estimated in the contract.

So what I’m saying is, based on the figures provided in the contract, the only way Texas could get to $15 million average is if an additional source of revenue is included, which would be the original IMG contract. That’s the problem. If you are going to say that $15 million is an accurate average, the that figure is going to have to be a combination of the LHN and IMG contracts, meaning the combined Tier 3 revenue is $15 million. If you are saying that the $15 million figure is supposed to be just for the LHN by itself, then the $15 million estimate for the LHN was inaccurate to begin with, again based on the figures from the contract.

One other point. The LHN does not give us an accurate estimate of the TV Tier 3 rights.
As I explained to you before, the LHN contract includes more that just TV rights. It includes
TV, digital, coaches' shows, archive footage, etc. It includes several components, so you still have the
same problem as with the Oklahoma example. You don't know specifically how much the TV rights are worth, because some other rights are includes as well.

conference to conference and yr to yr comparisons are flawed, because neither is an apples to apples comparison.

1st off, what we are comparing here is the "conference pay outs", not the revenue generated per school or per conference..

tier 3 has different meanings in different situations.

to try and standardize "tier 3" for this discussion, let's call it media revenue, (tv, radio, digital rights), incurred through contracts negotiated by the school, rather than by the conference.

SEC 2013-14 vs 2014-15 COMPARISON,.

this past yr with the SECN, all the SEC tv money went through the conference, thus was included in the conference pay outs.

that was not the case the previous yr in the SEC, as prior to this yr, the games not picked up by Disney or CBS for airing were able to be sold by the individual schools to networks, syndicators, etc.

therefore, in 2013-2014, SEC schools made money from TV that didn't show up in conference pay outs, because it didn't go through the conference.

how much money that was, varied from school to school.

so in 2013-2014, SEC schools were making more from tv rights than just what showed up in the conference pay outs.

in 2014-2015 with the SECN, all SEC tv money went through the conference, and no schools got any tv money other than what they got through the conference pay out.

thus comparing SEC TV money distributed by the conference only for 2013-14 vs 2014-15, would not be a fair apples to apples comparison, even without the added playoff money in 2014-15 further muddying up the comparison.

to guesstimate how much increase schools made from the SEC network, one would need to add in all tv money made by the schools in school negotiated deals, ("tier 3") in 2013-14, and add that total amount to the 2013-14 SEC tv money that was brought in from conference negotiated deals, (tier 1, 2)., that yr.

then subtract that new 2013-14 total from the 2014-15 amount.

then subtract out the added playoff money in 2014-15 as well.

our new bottom line figure will gives us a much better pic of how much impact the SECN made on total tv revenues for the SEC conference schools in 2014-15.

(on a side note, to date, remember 2014-15 SECN revenues are probably only for 8 or 9 months rather than 12, since SECN revenues probably started generating about Sept 1 2014, so some prorate would be in order there).

(whether the conference already projected out the amount over 12 months for purposes of the article, i know not).

as for Big 12 revenues, one would have to add in all the individual school contracted tv revenues to the conference contracted tv revenues, to get a fair tv money comparison if comparing to the B10 or SEC, who now go through the conference for all tv money.

the B10 also has a convoluted gate revenue sharing formula for gate receipts for football and basketball games.

to my knowledge, they are the only conference that has this.

it's not a total sharing of gate receipts by any means, but "if" the gate sharing money distributed by the conference is included in the B10 conference pay out, that would possibly add another 4-6 mil per school (i'll guess) to the B10 conference pay out, that would not show up on conference payouts of other conferences.

in addition, to my knowledge, different conferences also have different rules for who gets the bowl monies, so bowl $ distribution differences by conference would also need to be taken into account.

point being, to compare revenues between conferences, one needs to take all the conference media, gate, bowl, distributed revenues, plus all the individual school generated media, gate, bowl, revenues, add them together, then make the comparison.

Last edited:
If the B1G had more Playoff appearances in the 3 games (2) than anyone else except the Pac12 (2), then why don't we get the most money from it's revenue? All those people that turned in for OSU, that money goes to help Alabama? What's the point of even winning the national championship then? To get that big ugly trophy stick??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT