ADVERTISEMENT

Next years Roster

Roster needs/wishes

- Definitely need a backup PG from the portal; preferably experienced with scoring ability OR a starting caliber PG that could allow Kiyomi to play some SG and ease into the driver's seat (PG role).

- If we can get a good rim protecting 6'5"+ center, then I would take Mya out and shift Sidibe, Adams, and Cornwell one place to the left. Maybe you keep Mya in starting lineup for perimeter shooting and bring Sidibe off the bench. That probably would depend on the matchup. Sidibe's defense might win out some games.

- If we get an elite wing player with versatility to play 2 guard, sm forward, or pwr forward, then ....... again, it's Awa, Mya, and maybe Chyna who would possibly come off the bench.

Raouls table has the disclaimer that he does not routinely add in players with a Covid year left or injured players until camp begins
Until we hear something from Awa or Chyna, they are still with us. That's all we can go on.

Oh, ......

Between Mya and Lisa, that spot should be highly contested, IMO. Skill level, they are about even, with Lisa maybe having a bit of an edge in terms of being able to create off the dribble. I just might look to protect Lisa from wearing down like she did this year. Let her come in off the bench and play freely. Our microwave, instant offense.

Same type of thing with Antonia and Zachara. Both competing for the minutes as backup on the wing, pwr forward, and possibly center, if we don't get one out of the portal.

No comments/thoughts on the depth chart I posted a few days ago in this thread?? No suggestions to fill open slots?? No suggested adjustments to the starting lineup??

posted Tues.

To this year

RUWBB 2024-25 Depth Chart

PGSGWPFC
K. Mc MillerM. PetticordA. SidibeD. AdamsC. Cornwell
?L. Thompson??A. Bates???
A. BatesA. SidibeZ. PerkinsZ.PerkinsD. Adams
K. BrandtA. BatesA. Sidibe

starters in bold
? - opening for PG/CG
?? - opening for elite wing
??? - opening for 6'5 ish, skilled post

Last edited:
Until we hear something from Awa or Chyna, they are still with us. That's all we can go on.
This is from an article 7 days ago in the Hickory Record:

“This season, Cornwell averaged 7.3 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. She is a health administration major and plans to take advantage of the NCAA’s COVID eligibility extension to return next year. She is considering using her extra year of eligibility to work towards earning a master’s degree.”

So she will be returning afterall, thankfully. She is good.

Last edited:
No comments/thoughts on the depth chart I posted a few days ago in this thread?? No suggestions to fill open slots?? No suggested adjustments to the starting lineup??

posted Tues.

To this year

RUWBB 2023-24 Depth Chart

PGSGWPFC
K. Mc MillerM. PetticordA. SidibeD. AdamsC. Cornwell
A. BatesA. SidibeZ. PerkinsZ.PerkinsD. Adams
K. BrandtA. BatesA. Sidibe

starters in bold
? - opening for PG/CG
Bates was second in the total number of minutes played on the season. I know there are some injury reasons for this; however, I do feel that Toni will be further up on the depth chart. I'm not sure if she will start, but if not, I think she is the sixth man if this is our team.

Bates was second in the total number of minutes played on the season. I know there are some injury reasons for this; however, I do feel that Toni will be further up on the depth chart. I'm not sure if she will start, but if not, I think she is the sixth man if this is our team.
I'm thinking along the same lines. According to the chart, with the roster as is, she is our back-up PG and possibly a back-up for pwr fwd spot. Depending on how practice goes, it's between her and Zachara for back-up at the wing position. Her versatility should put her on the floor as 1st or 2nd off the bench.

Unless she really improves her strength, 3pt consistency, and ability to drive into the paint and finish, she can't be a starter. I'm rooting for her to put in the work because she has so much potential with her height, length, and court vision (passing ability). I'm excited to see her, Lisa, Destiny, and Chyna take the next steps in their development.

A stronger version of Lisa with tighter ball-handling skills,..... same for Mya, ...... Destiny with her footwork down, the midrange and 3pt shot refined (she'll be a WNBA candidate if she does those things), and Chyna adding a midrange shot and better court awareness for kick outs...... These are the things that I can't wait to see this coming season.

FWIW…my daughter and I attended the autograph session at the end of the final game and we flat out asked Awa if she is returning next year and she said yes.

Reactions: Rocky72
PGSGWPFC
K. Mc MillerM. PetticordJoJo LaceyD. AdamsC. Cornwell
A. BatesA. SidibeA. SidibeZ.PerkinsD. Adams
K. BrandtZ. PerkinsZ. Perkins
starters in bold
? - opening for experienced PG

- JoJo may be the answer to filling the opening for elite wing. Her versatility allows her to play guard/wing/stretch fwd. Very excited to see this next piece of the puzzle added. Hopefully, it's the one that gets this thing to take off.

PGSGWPFC
?L. ThompsonA. SidibeA. BatesJ. Walker
A. BatesK. BrandtZ. PerkinsZ.PerkinsD. Adams
starters in bold

Jenae should see plenty of time this season in the same role as KB, splitting time with Chyna.

Reactions: MightyMikeNice

PGSGWPFC
starters in bold

Jenae should see plenty of time this season in the same role as KB, splitting time with Chyna.
L. Thompson is more of a PG than a SG.

PGSGWPFC
starters in bold

We still need more front court players. One injury or “medical issue” and we have the same problems. More front court depth is needed. 2 more transfers would be ideal. A true 5 and a 4.

We still need more front court players. One injury or “medical issue” and we have the same problems. More front court depth is needed. 2 more transfers would be ideal. A true 5 and a 4.
Who made this chart?
McMiller and L. Thompson are PG.
Mya and Awa are SG.

Some may fashion L. Thompson as a point guard but a 1.3/2.5 A/TO ratio won't cut it and requires a lot more work to be considered a point guard.
Thank you.

Those who watched last season realized that Antonia was our best point guard. Though she did an admirable job considering the circumstances, we know that the position was not up to the standard. That's why Antonia ended up getting a chance to try her hand at the point.

Lisa and Mya struggled mightily and were turnover machines. You could see the sigh of relief in the way their play improved when they were relieved of PG duties and moved to SG.

Who made this chart?
McMiller and L. Thompson are PG.
Mya and Awa are SG.
This is my opinion of what the depth chart may look like. It could change according to matchups and how practice battles go between players on equal footing.

Earlier postings of this chart did have Awa as a potential starter at the 2-guard spot or the wing. She, along with JoJo and Mya are interchangeable at that spot and the other wing spot. It just depends on the matchup and whether we need shooting or defense. JoJo can give us both, and therefore, would get the nod as a starter at either wing.

Lisa, as I stated before, may benefit from less pressure, coming off the bench providing offensive boosts with the second unit. It also protects against wear and tear.

We know Awa is still gonna be our Swiss army knife if she is 100% healthy. She can start or come off the bench at three different positions. I wouldn't put her at the point again, although she played it two seasons ago .... not with the other guards on our roster.

So, IMO, an experienced PG is more of a priority at this point now that we've added Jenae into the fold. Another skilled 6'5+ post would be welcomed but if we didn't get that but were able to add that PG, I would be pretty comfortable with what we have. I would like to see most, if not all of this roster get playing time (a normal rotation of at least 8 or 9 players).

When opportunity presents (which hopefully will be often) we should be able to see everyone get on the court. Kennedy included,..... she showed that she can handle it.

Thank you.

Those who watched last season realized that Antonia was our best point guard. Though she did an admirable job considering the circumstances, we know that the position was not up to the standard. That's why Antonia ended up getting a chance to try her hand at the point.

Lisa and Mya struggled mightily and were turnover machines. You could see the sigh of relief in the way their play improved when they were relieved of PG duties and moved to SG.
Not necessarily. I watched every single game. Lisa was recovering from an injury and Antonia and Mya were the most viable options.
Lisa is not a 2 guard, and she never played as one last season either.

This is my opinion of what the depth chart may look like. It could change according to matchups and how practice battles go between players on equal footing.

Earlier postings of this chart did have Awa as a potential starter at the 2-guard spot or the wing. She, along with JoJo and Mya are interchangeable at that spot and the other wing spot. It just depends on the matchup and whether we need shooting or defense. JoJo can give us both, and therefore, would get the nod as a starter at either wing.

Lisa, as I stated before, may benefit from less pressure, coming off the bench providing offensive boosts with the second unit. It also protects against wear and tear.

We know Awa is still gonna be our Swiss army knife if she is 100% healthy. She can start or come off the bench at three different positions. I wouldn't put her at the point again, although she played it two seasons ago .... not with the other guards on our roster.

So, IMO, an experienced PG is more of a priority at this point now that we've added Jenae into the fold. Another skilled 6'5+ post would be welcomed but if we didn't get that but were able to add that PG, I would be pretty comfortable with what we have. I would like to see most, if not all of this roster get playing time (a normal rotation of at least 8 or 9 players).

When opportunity presents (which hopefully will be often) we should be able to see everyone get on the court. Kennedy included,..... she showed that she can handle it.
Kennedy didn’t show much. She maybe 15-20 total the entire season. She will be on the bench most of the season again.

Kennedy didn’t show much. She maybe 15-20 total the entire season. She will be on the bench most of the season again.
Heyy! 😬 Let's show that we appreciate this young lady in how we comment. We don't need Kennedy to transfer out too.🫤 She seems to be the ultimate team player who brings value to the team in the form of positive energy and needed depth at practices as well as on gameday.

Notice I said, in the games when opportunity presents, I would like to see everyone get in. There were some games when Kennedy could have gotten a few minutes in some comfortable victories or well-decided blowout losses. When pressed into action she held her own, and knocked down a couple threes when others weren't hitting. Just saying, .... give her minutes when possible.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree on Lisa at PG. I'm not saying she can't develop into a good PG(same goes for Mya), .... just saying, ... We need the upgrade now, not in the future. We've been without one for all of CW's tenure. Kiyomi is more than capable, I just think an experienced PG can get the most out of our final-year heavy roster and spearhead the development of our young players.

Reactions: coldsprings
Thank you.

I would go with Mya over Antonia - way too indecisive and hesitant with the ball.

I like reading all these ideas but I think all the positions are up for grabs. It's hard for me to believe that Awa and Antonia won't start based on the minutes that they played in the past. I would like to see Antonia start driving to the basket and taking more shots. We will have to see how the chemistry plays out. I really want to believe it will be an exciting season and that we will surprise everyone.

Reactions: RUcrazee
I like reading all these ideas but I think all the positions are up for grabs. It's hard for me to believe that Awa and Antonia won't start based on the minutes that they played in the past. I would like to see Antonia start driving to the basket and taking more shots. We will have to see how the chemistry plays out. I really want to believe it will be an exciting season and that we will surprise everyone.
I agree that some positions are up for grabs. I would think that Destiny is firmly a starter, likely at the 4-spot. If we don't add that experiened PG, I gotta think Kiyomi gets the start at PG. I base that on what I've seen of all our PG candidates. Kiyomi has the strongest handle. How soon she gets command of the offense would determine when she takes over. If she needs time, then it is up for grabs between the three who played PG for us last year.

Awa's situation depends on her being 100% and if she has progressed in the shooting category. We need shooting to go along with Kiyomi's breakdown abilities. If healthy, Awa will be on the floor plenty because of her ability to play multiple positions. Same goes for Antonia, due to the intangibles that they both bring.

I would expect JoJo to start because she was likely brought in to bring experience to the team. The past few years, we've talked about most of our players needing to up their bball savvy. You get players like JoJo to help fix that. She was a 5-star HS recruit and has played with the elite talent in her peer group with USA Bball, IIRC. She didn't come here to play behind someone who is still in developmental stages (Antonia, the frosh and sophs). That would be like Destiny choosing to come home to help jumpstart this program, and then coach not starting her. Bad business. Shouldn't happen. Especially when the player is not dropping the ball.

Antonia got plenty of time due to the short roster, Smikle leaving, Mya and Lisa being dinged up for a few games, Awa being out, and lastly but not least, Erica not stepping up strongly until the very end of the season. Her inconsistency and lack of confidence with the perimeter shot, coupled with her inability to finish around the basket is my reason for her not being a starter. Coming off the bench, she can play with less pressure on her as she develops in those areas. Zachara is going to be on her heels for those minutes because she brings similar qualities but may be a better shooter from the arc.

As you've stated, chemistry is key to these types of decisions. I'm anxious to see how it goes this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT