ADVERTISEMENT

NJ State Wrestling Tournament results

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
Use this thread to note how out commits and other recruits of note did at districts/regionals/states.

Shane Metzler (West Morris Central) - 125 (COMMIT)
Loses to Nick Raimo in 3OT in the district finals; will move on to regions:
Match video:

Robert Cleary (Bound Brook, formerly Edison) - 138 (COMMIT)
4 time district champ; won all three of his district matches by fall in the first period

Stephan Glasgow (Bound Brook) - 157 (COMMIT)
4 time district champ; Glasgow won by a 17-8 major decision over previously unbeaten Joe Hatcher (Piscataway), who was 30-0

Zach Del Vecchio (South Plainfield) - 220 (NOT A COMMIT)
3-1 victory over Vincent Zecchino (Woodbridge) to win his district

Bill Janzer (Delsea) - 170 (COMMIT)
Pinned his way to a district win and MOW, including Absegami's Andrew Marcucci in the finals.

Reactions: obrats
I'll be at District 3 in West Orange Friday night and Saturday. Will get a look at Shane Metzlar . Raimo is the 1 seed at 126 and Metzlar the 2 seed, so great chance of another matchup.
2 years ago Metzlar matched up against Brandon Paetzell at 103 (pin for Paetzell) that match still up on youtube. I looked at it last night, both looked like they were 10 years old, lol
I'll also get to see Pat Glory (#1 or 2 in USA at 120), plus 220 Robert Melise of P'burg, and Tony Siragusa's son at 170. The Goose was actually a State Champ at Heavy for Brearley HS a few years back, lol. Went on to bigger things in football at Pitt and Baltimore obviously.

Full printable brackets for all Regions:
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...017-region-wrestling-brackets-are-rolling-in/

Donny P is all over Glory.

That would be great to get him. Delbarton, an expensive private school , has sent a lot of terrific wrestlers to Cornell and Harvard.
We did get a Melde brother from there a few years ago, don't remember if he transfer in or not.

That would be great to get him. Delbarton, an expensive private school , has sent a lot of terrific wrestlers to Cornell and Harvard.
We did get a Melde brother from there a few years ago, don't remember if he transfer in or not.

Abro, Melde was not a transfer in to RU-came right from HS. You are probably remembering that he transferred out of Delbarton to DePaul for his senior year of High School.

Reactions: Abro1975
NJ.com's pound for pound ratings: http://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2017/02/meet_the_10_toughest_pound-for.html

32-Chris Foca, 160, Bergen Catholic, So.
Foca exploded onto the scene as a freshman by winning a title at the Beast of the East. This year, Foca moved up three weight classes and is hoping to finish 2017 as strong as he started 2015.

25-Robert Cleary, 138, Bound Brook, Sr.
Cleary was 40-4 and placed 7th in the state at 132 pounds while wrestling for Edison last season. Now competing for Bound Brook, Cleary was first at the X-Calibur Tournament and 7th at the Powerade Tournament.

18-Billy Janzer, 170, Delsea, Jr.
A third-place finisher in the state a year ago, Janzer won a couple strong early-season tournaments in the Robin Leff Classic and the Mustang Classic.

17-Shane Metzler, 126, West Morris, Sr.
Metzler reached the championship round of the Excalibur Tournament in December and won the John Goles Tournament at Warren Hills two weeks later. Metzler was fifth in the state a season ago and fourth as a sophomore.

13-Quinn Kinner, 132, Kingsway, Jr. (my school, wanted to throw him in)
Kinner opened the season with a trip to the finals at the Beast of the East after finishing third in the state at 126 as a sophomore.

12-Michael O'Malley, 152, Hasbrouck Heights, Jr.
O'Malley won the Robin Leff Tournament this year and finished second in the Bergen County Tournament after an 8-6 loss to state champion Kyle Cochran of Paramus. He was a state runner-up a year ago and sixth two seasons ago.

9-Brandon Kui, 195, DePaul, Sr.
Kui was fundamentally sound and found ways to win close matches last year en route to the 182-pound title and a record of 39-1. This year, Kui was fifth at the Beast of the East.

6-Nick Raimo, 126, Hanover Park, So.
With a glowing national reputation, Raimo wants to shake last year's state runner-up status. He was second at the Beast of the East this year after finishing third as a freshman. He won the Escape the Rock Tournament to avenge his only loss.

5-Kyle Cochran, 160, Paramus, Sr.
Last year's Cinderella state champion has turned into a stalwart. This offseason, Cochran won a Super 32 title to follow up his dramatic performance in Atlantic City.

4-Shane Griffith, 152, Bergen Catholic, Jr.
When it matters most, Griffith rises to the occasion. The two-time state champion is on a dramatic pace to join several exclusive lists. He is committed to Stanford.

3-Stephan Glasgow, 152, Bound Brook, Sr.
The Rutgers commit is strong and savvy. Glasgow won the 152-pound state title last season a year after finishing second as a sophomore.

2-Mekhi Lewis, 160, Bound Brook, Sr.
The Virginia Tech commit was New Jersey's only wrestler to win at the Powerade Tournament. Lewis, last year's state champion at 145, was 37-1 as a junior.

1-Pat Glory, 120, Delbarton, Jr.
This year is all about finishing. As a two-time state runner-up, Glory is determined to break through for his first state title. He is a two-time Beast of the East champion and was 38-3 a season ago. He dominated on the way to an Escape the Rock title.

For those wishing to see Region 3 (Metzlar, Raimo, Glory, Melise, etc) Statelinersports.com will be streaming all sessions for free. Their production quality is very good w play by play.

Reactions: RUpop
Region 3 underway w pre quarters. Metzlar pinned his opponent .Coach Goodale in attendance. This region has Metlzlar, Glory and some others they are probably looking at.

Tonight's Region Quarterfinals bouts of interest:

Region 3 West Orange:
126-Shane Metzlar (RU commit) vs Alex Schlegel , Mendham
Nick Raimo (Hanover Park) vs John Cumming , Delbarton
120- Pat Glory (Delbarton) vs Michael Rubin , Hanover Park
220- Robert Melise (Pburg) vs Kenyon Means Bowman (QOP)

Full Region 3 Brackets:
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/tournament/61537/

Region 5:
138- Robert Cleary (RU commit) vs Dean Gallo (Holmdel)
152 Stephan Glasgow (RU commit) vs Shea Obado(Spotswood)

Region 8
170- Bill Janzer (RU commit) vs Morgan Bell (Kingsway)

Also tonight is first round of National Prep Championships in Bethleham , Pa

138 - Malcolm Robinson (RU commit) vs M Carioscia (Canter)

All Regions all Brackets:
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...ults-brackets-and-links-from-the-first-round/

Prep Championship Brackets:
http://arena.flowrestling.org/event/97f797e3-fb7c-4217-9067-0122808b9847

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Tonight's Region Quarterfinals bouts of interest:

Region 3 West Orange:
126-Shane Metzlar (RU commit) vs Alex Schlegel , Mendham
Nick Raimo (Hanover Park) vs John Cumming , Delbarton
120- Pat Glory (Delbarton) vs Michael Rubin , Hanover Park
220- Robert Melise (Pburg) vs Kenyon Means Bowman (QOP)

Full Region 3 Brackets:
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/tournament/61537/

Region 5:
138- Robert Cleary (RU commit) vs Dean Gallo (Holmdel)
152 Stephan Glasgow (RU commit) vs Shea Obado(Spotswood)

Region 8
170- Bill Janzer (RU commit) vs Morgan Bell (Kingsway)

Also tonight is first round of National Prep Championships in Bethleham , Pa

138 - Malcolm Robinson (RU commit) vs M Carioscia (Canter)

All Regions all Brackets:
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...ults-brackets-and-links-from-the-first-round/

Prep Championship Brackets:
http://arena.flowrestling.org/event/97f797e3-fb7c-4217-9067-0122808b9847
Any of those matches being streamed live on say Flowrestling?

Any of those matches being streamed live on say Flowrestling?
Flo doesn't normally provide live streaming coverage of NJ Regionals, so I'd say no, unfortunately. Hopefully nj.com uploads some videos to their youtube channel.

Edit: Obrats ninja'd me.

Reactions: bigmatt718
To show how important it is to break into Blair, they have the following seeds for the Nat'l Prep tournament:
106: 1st
113: 1st
120: 2nd
126: 2nd
132: 1st
138: 1st (Robinson)
145: 6th
152: 1st
160: 1st
170: 3rd
182: UNR
195: 4th
220: 1st
285: UNR

Yes, he's one hell of a get. Back to back years with Glaskow this year and Robinson the next (plus the others). This is the level of recruit (if not higher) that I believe we'll start to get more and more once we start with the practice facility and whatnot. Problem is, we need 2-3 of these guys each year.

No inside info but I saw him at almost every home match this year and if I am not mistaken wearing RU wrestling shirts every match. Doesn't mean anything but it doesn't suck.
Sounds promising, and he is an NJ public school kid so I bet he would be comfortable staying home.

Sounds promising, and he is an NJ public school kid so I bet he would be comfortable staying home.

Also no inside info, but I posted in another thread that Raimo said in an SL interview that his dream was to wrestle for PSU. Hopefully that dream is one that changes!

I saw this tweet on Ash's Twitter account before the wrestling season started. It contains an original tweet by Coach Tom Ryan of OSU Wrestling with a response by Logan Stieber. When I read this I had to think that this was directed at High School Sophomore Nick Raimo who Ash had trained with over the summer.

Shnaulty B Mobbin Retweeted
Logan StieberVerified account‏@_LogieBear_ 23 Nov 2016

Logan Stieber Retweeted Thomas Ryan

Hey when you know, you know!

Logan Stieber added,

Thomas Ryan@Buckeye158
This Thanksgiving I'm thankful for many things. One is @_LogieBear_ committing as a Soph in HS! Got the ball rolling. Hoping for more Sophs!
0 replies 15 retweets 123 likes

Just got to Region 3 at West Orange Tiny gym and parking compared to Walkill Valley where many teams here used to go to. Fans complaining.

I saw this tweet on Ash's Twitter account before the wrestling season started. It contains an original tweet by Coach Tom Ryan of OSU Wrestling with a response by Logan Stieber. When I read this I had to think that this was directed at High School Sophomore Nick Raimo who Ash had trained with over the summer.

Shnaulty B Mobbin Retweeted
Logan StieberVerified account‏@_LogieBear_ 23 Nov 2016

Logan Stieber Retweeted Thomas Ryan

Hey when you know, you know!

Logan Stieber added,

Thomas Ryan@Buckeye158
This Thanksgiving I'm thankful for many things. One is @_LogieBear_ committing as a Soph in HS! Got the ball rolling. Hoping for more Sophs!
0 replies 15 retweets 123 likes
Could have been Jordan Decator who is a Ohio State committed sophomore ranked #6 in the sophomore class.

Curious if anyone watched Malcolm Robinsons Quarter Finals match last night? Match got chippy at times and I felt Malcolm was the instigator. Personally think he was close to getting disqualified so hope his coaches are talking to him about that. He won the match handily 12-4 with one of the other kids points being a penalty point.

Our 4 other NJSIAA recruits are onto the semi-finals in their respective regions. All winning comfortably yesterday.

Reactions: Abro1975
I saw one of our RU coaches talking to Pat Glory last night right after his fast pin. I think it might have been Coach Leonardis. Tall guy with a very short haircut (follically challenged, lol). But no glasses, I thought Coach Leo wore glasses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT