45:18 - Coach Bill Belichick
46:12 - Big Ten Expansion
48:04 - Life Outside of Football
50:54 - Daily Schedule & Routine
52:58 - Kickoff Proposal
58:03 - Using Analytics to Make Game-Time Decisions
1:00:53 - How Rutgers Will Become a Championship Contender
1:03:54 - Schiano’s Motivation

Good chat - coach answers thoughtful questions without the smoke bombs and canned ham.
I liked the recollection of recruiting Ron Girault and his "developmental" tag on RU approach.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Good chat - coach answers thoughtful questions without the smoke bombs and canned ham.
I liked the recollection of recruiting Ron Girault and his "developmental" tag on RU approach.
I always thought Girault was a Toal replacement. I wonder who that Florida recruit was.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I always thought Girault was a Toal replacement. I wonder who that Florida recruit was.

I wasn't following things at that time.
I came around with Rice, McCourty and Courtney Greene (local guys I watched in HS).
Greene and the McCourtys said Girault was the secret reason they were good early in career.
He knew what plays were coming and told fellas what to do.
Smart guys on defense are huge
At one time they were top secondary in the nation - and mostly 2 stars with few offers.
They were from a tight 30 minute circle around Tappan Zee bridge

Reactions: redking
Appreciate you sharing my tweet. Genuinely believe it. Greg will get it done here. Book it.
I did not realize that was you. I tried connecting with you and someone at your tailgate last fall, but you guys were in some deep conversation, we and needed to get moving. Maybe this fall.

This guy has a good take too. I enjoyed that interview/podcast. An hour plus of Greg unfiltered.

Reactions: rutgersal
I did not realize that was you. I tried connecting with you and someone at your tailgate last fall, but you guys were in some deep conversation, we and needed to get moving. Maybe this fall.

This guy has a good take too. I enjoyed that interview/podcast. An hour plus of Greg unfiltered.

Just sent you a private message. Go RU!

"As a player I was a bit of a rock head.."

Nah cant believe it lol.
A lot of people grow and evolve. Some don't. Greg 2.0 vs Greg 1.0 reminds me a bit of how I was in my 30s versus now, a wiser, calmer and more thoughtful version of myself. Every coach will always have their detractors and wanting them to do something (or everything) differently, or have a different coach. That is part of fandom. But after watching that video, for me, I really want to see Greg succeed more than I did before watching.

Last edited:
A lot of people grow and evolve. Some don't. Greg 2.0 vs Greg 1.0 reminds me a bit of how I was in my 30s versus now, a wiser, calmer and more thoughtful version of myself. Every coach will always have their detractors and wanting them to do something (or everything) differently, or have a different coach. That is part of fandom. But after watching that video, for me, I really want to see Greg succeed more than I did before watching.

Yes it was actually the best Schiano interview I've heard.
I know he was changed after he had some realizations
When he went to Tampa I could see he was stuck in that "rah-rah" college mindset where trying to tackle a QB on a kneel down was meant as some kind of "never quit" statement.
I wasn't surprised when a player reminded him some guys on the team have been dads and husbands for 10 years and dont need the Father Gregory life guidance like in college.

The only thing I didn't like was the idea to get rid of kickoffs.
Of course I understand his reasons but I think blaming the play is a distraction from the real cause.
When I saw the play on TV live I was immediately pissed-off because I knew what had happened, and I blame coaching from Pop Warner through high school and college for those plays.
The most injured players are OL and WR and its not from kickoffs

I wasn't following things at that time.
I came around with Rice, McCourty and Courtney Greene (local guys I watched in HS).
Greene and the McCourtys said Girault was the secret reason they were good early in career.
He knew what plays were coming and told fellas what to do.
Smart guys on defense are huge
At one time they were top secondary in the nation - and mostly 2 stars with few offers.
They were from a tight 30 minute circle around Tappan Zee bridge
This is something I suspected way back when re: Girault being a field general. I assigned it to a few players at teh time.. because we play assignment football.

So, for any last-second adjustments to work.. like Girault calling out what play was likely coming.. all the players had to

A) be willing to take direction
B) know what their job just changed to.. what reads to key on and how it affects their assignment chosen by coaches on the sideline
C) have the mental and physical conditioning to make the play... and that's not just one guy doing the right thing.. that's most of them

I recall thinking that we lost too much talent on D after the bowl game after 2005 (Ryan Neill and Brandon Haw among them). I did not expect the 2006 D to do what it did. But we won on defense through those first 4 and maybe 5 games. Offense.. even with Leonard and Rice and that OL.. did little.

But that defense flew to the ball precisely like they knew what play was coming.

I hope to see that again sometime soon. The D has had a few moments like that in recent years but not the sustained performance of that 2006 D.

So, for any last-second adjustments to work.. like Girault calling out what play was likely coming.. all the players had to

A) be willing to take direction
B) know what their job just changed to.. what reads to key on and how it affects their assignment chosen by coaches on the sideline
C) have the mental and physical conditioning to make the play... and that's not just one guy doing the right thing.. that's most of them

I recall thinking that we lost too much talent on D after the bowl game after 2005 (Ryan Neill and Brandon Haw among them). I did not expect the 2006 D to do what it did. But we won on defense through those first 4 and maybe 5 games. Offense.. even with Leonard and Rice and that OL.. did little.

But that defense flew to the ball precisely like they knew what play was coming.

I hope to see that again sometime soon. The D has had a few moments like that in recent years but not the sustained performance of that 2006 D.

Girault and the MCourtys grew-up together. Girault had to work RU coaches over to go after Devin.
I was at the UConn v RU game in 2006 and RU was close to losing most of the game. Then the defense kicked-in

"RUTGERS COACH Greg Schiano called Ron Girault into his office to meet with the defensive coaches. Girault, a freshman safety, grew up with the McCourty twins.

The coaching staff was concerned about St. Joseph's High senior Jason McCourty. Rutgers had offered him a scholarship, but he seemed to be leaning toward Boston College.

“I also brought up Devin’s name,” Girault said. “I was like, ‘Devin’s a really good player as well, they’re basically the same type of player.’ At first they brushed that off. ‘Yeah. Yeah. Devin’s good, but how about Jason, again?’ Trying to get me to focus on getting Jason there."

Girault and the MCourtys grew-up together. Girault had to work RU coaches over to go after Devin.
I was at the UConn v RU game in 2006 and RU was close to losing most of the game. Then the defense kicked-in

"RUTGERS COACH Greg Schiano called Ron Girault into his office to meet with the defensive coaches. Girault, a freshman safety, grew up with the McCourty twins.

The coaching staff was concerned about St. Joseph's High senior Jason McCourty. Rutgers had offered him a scholarship, but he seemed to be leaning toward Boston College.

“I also brought up Devin’s name,” Girault said. “I was like, ‘Devin’s a really good player as well, they’re basically the same type of player.’ At first they brushed that off. ‘Yeah. Yeah. Devin’s good, but how about Jason, again?’ Trying to get me to focus on getting Jason there."

I always found it funny that we were so hesitant to offer Devin. They are twins afterall and it wasnt like 5 stars were knocking our doors down. I think Joe's played Jason at running back - maybe that got him more attention as a recruit/athlete.

This is a good segment, which @rutgersal referred to in another thread:

Greg on 1.0: "It wasn't a rebuild, it was a build."

Greg on 2.0: "This is a rebuild. We built it once. . . . I didn't come back to go to bowl games. . . . the reality is to become nationals champions. . . . there are steps along the way."

Adam Breneman on RU's facililities: "Facilities are amazing." "You've got everything you need."
Greg: "We have everything we need in this building." "There are things we have to improve."

Reactions: rutgersal

TIME STAMPS
00:00 - Intro
01:10 - Catching Up
04:00 - The Science Behind Recruiting
07:56 - Differences Between Coaching Stints at Rutgers
10:31 - Rebuilding Rutgers to What it is Now
16:31 - Adapting to NIL & The Transfer Portal
28:38 - Strategy to Offering Recruits
32:50 - Coaching in the NFL
39:11 - Coaching at Ohio State w/ Urban Meyer & Ryan Day
41:53 - Returning to Rutgers
43:53 - Lessons Learned from Coach Paterno
45:18 - Coach Bill Belichick
46:12 - Big Ten Expansion
48:04 - Life Outside of Football
50:54 - Daily Schedule & Routine
52:58 - Kickoff Proposal
58:03 - Using Analytics to Make Game-Time Decisions
1:00:53 - How Rutgers Will Become a Championship Contender
1:03:54 - Schiano’s Motivation
One of the best interviews I've heard Schiano give. Good questions from Brenaman and great insights from Schiano. He is on top of everything. I can be critical of him on gamedays but from a macro perspective, we need him at this time of Rutgers history to get us on solid footing. I do think he will get us there and we will need to be patient. I think we end up with another 4-8 season, but this interview may be helpful to remember we need patience as we catch up in a brutal Big Ten East.

He’s a good coach. But at RU and the teams they are adding to the B10. Low tier ball games are the ceiling. Last year was great until league play.

Reactions: ashokan

Well let's not treat that NFL job as if it was some kind of success. He was terrible.

Well let's not treat that NFL job as if it was some kind of success. He was terrible.
That franchise was terrible. Lovie did as bad or worse than Greg.

That aside, Greg is all class with what he send at the end of the WFAN broadcast for recognizing Memorial Day.

Last edited:
That franchise was terrible. Lovie did as bad or worse than Greg.

That aside, Greg is all class with what he send at the end of the WFAN broadcast for recognizing Memorial Day.

Because Lovie is a worse football coach than Greg.

Because Lovie is a worse football coach than Greg.
Tampa Bay sucked from 2010 through 2020 until Arians arrived. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop, even if you are a gourmet chef. Not sure what you were referring to, but nobody was celebrating Greg's tenure in the NFL. Greg admitted it was a learning experience.

It was a good listen . I really want Greg to succeed and still think he has a chance.
But wins talk and BS walks.
If his quarterbacks continue to stink , it doesn’t matter what he says in interviews.

Ash was also 1-0 against Jeff Brohm. Nobody will say Ash is a better head coach than Jeff Brohm.
Plum's been brain damaged for a couple of years now - I think he's more interested in attention that useful interaction at this point. Don't know what happened to him. He seemed like a decent guy a up until a year or so ago. F him now.

Last edited:
I had Plum on ignore for a lot of years, and took him off. He has grown on me. But I see your point on the 2-1 thing. 🤷‍♂️

He's getting closer for me. Like I said sad to see someone's personality break. But now I hope whatever caused it hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT