ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 9 SETON HALL: Change

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Change is hard at first, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end.

I am not sure what went on in that lockerroom in Winston Salem Wedensday night following that horrific showing vs Wake. I tend to think in the aftermath it was probably a serious reflection time for both the coaching staff and each invididual player to identify what they could to to figure out the teams ills. It has been painfully obvious that this team needed some changes. Pike's tinkering with lineups and rotations has not been effective. Some guys deserved starts over others. Some guys needed to get the diapers taken off. This was a different team out there tonight. Had not seen them bring this air of confidence since maybe the Minnesota game and that was on February 1. I said after the Wake game to me the Seton Hall game moreso than winning or losing had to start with competing again. Not only did they did that, Rutgers found a layer of toughness and resilency not yet shown this season.

But any recap has to start with the return of Mawot Mag. RU fans have been waiting and waiting and waiting. Cleared to play yet fans were starting to get frustrated that Mag was not on the court for a team that definitely needed a jump start. His return was MAGNIFICENT! Making his debut in the starting lineup, Mag kickstarted the Rutgers failing heart right from the beginning. There were no slow starts tonight. Rutgers had some hops early and that by and large would never wane. Rutgers is not only deeper but they are just different with Mag in the lineup. Mag would have a very impressive debut playing 24 minutes with 4 points and 8 boards and showing no signs of rust really. That drive to the hoop in the first half for the bucket, now did he do that? Mag is just a better option than Wolf especially in a game vs SHU. Mag makes Cliff better. Mag makes the Rutgers defense better. Mag allows Hyatt to be more effective at what he does. No Mag is not a savior but you better damn believe that with Mag back in he fold this team radically changes.

Yet that was not the only change Rutgers saw tonight. The insertion of J Mike into the starting lineup turned out to be a brilliant move from Coach Pikiell. Is it too early to be talking about our own Diaper Dandies at RU. What we saw from J Mike in bits and pieces this year was only a sliver of what we got tonight. The sheer confidence from the kid. A sick stat line for a freshman....32 minutes, 11 points, 4-8 fg, 2-3 3pt, 6 assists, 2 boards, a block and a steal. J Mike at a level well beyond his experience level. To me his most impressive point of the night was his pass for an alley oop to Gavin late in the game. Perhaps a high risk play yet the needed aggressive play as RU was sort of getting to complacent on offense with the lead having been cut to just 10. Freshmen to freshmen, who had that on their bingo card? J Mike also had some timely 3s one early in the 2nd half and then another one that extended the lead to 17. I will even say that even though he didnt make both free throws. He did nail that first and that was huge as it put RU up 3 possessions with 38 seconds. Again its just one game but obviously its enough that at least for now J Mike deserves the start and deserves his opportunity to drive the Rutgers bus.

Hopefully that story arc called "What's the Matter with Cliff" effectively ended tonight. That's Amoure! Tonight Cliff showed us why we all fell in love with him years ago. Monster game....31 minutes, 11 points, 13 boards, 7 blocks. His defensive effort was superlative. Cliff drained all 5 foul shots and most importantly you could see he was having fun out there again. MVP performance finding that toughness we all know he possesses.

Noah Fernandes was the closer tonight. Board including me has been wondering just who the hell can you pick to have the ball at the end of the game. Tonight Noah made a very convincing argument that it is him. Noah scored 12 of RU's final 20 points in the last 8 and half minutes. Including two dagger type 3s, the latter of which put RU up 63-50 with under 3 to go. When Seton Hall started to inch closer in the final minute, no surprise that Pike made sure Noah had the ball in his hands and he delivered hitting all 4 of his free throws. 33 minutes, 19 points on 5-11 fg, 3-5 from 3, 6-6 at the line, it was his best overall offensive game of the season. Just looked more comfortable with J Mike rather than Simpson and plus the addition of Mag on the court. Perhaps this is the change needed to get him going on how most to effectively use his offensive skills.

Gavin Griffiths had a maddening 0-5, 0 point stat line at Wake when inserted into the starting lineup. He was back out of the starting lineup but it pretty obvious that Gavin underwent a change. The tentative Gavin who was a mess on both ends was suddenly in the perfect spot in the first half. Looking for his shot and shooting without hesitation. Though held to just that one bucket in the 2nd half, Gavin kept RU afloat in the first half with a trio of treys. Gavin finished a respectable 4-8 fg with 11 points in 22 minutes. Great bounce back from Gavin and he also had a nifty block which was his best defensive effort to date.

Andre Hyatt with Mag in the fold was allowed to do what he does best and that is to shoot 3s. Yeah only 9 points but he got RU going early in both halves and that was a timely 3 that put RU up 8 late in the first half. and I think the minutes at 24 reduced somewhat is something I approve of.

Oskar and Wolf only 9 minutes each. Quieter games but Wolf had 5 boards. Played their roles today. Obviously there will be games that require Wolf to play more, Seton Hall wasnt one of them.

Derek Simpson lost his starting role and will have to adust to that. Pike will call on him and some point so Derek has to keep his head up. Had a rough sequence later in the half with a miss one and one and turnover that allowed SHU to stay in the game. Just 15 minutes and 2 points but 2 assists.

Almost forget that no Austin Williams tonight because of injury but did not play a factor at all.

Overall Pike coached and prepped a great game. Big bounceback from him after the previous 2 game struggles. He has to be so glad to have Mag back. Motivation is a skill coaches have to have and Pike pushed all the right buttons not only with upperclassmen like Cliff but also with freshmen like J Mike and Gavin who played fearless

Teamwise RU was just tougher tonight. Those 50/50 balls started to go their way for once. What I really really like the most about this game was the way RU learned how to win and learned how to close things out. As the game drew on there were times that SHU would cut it down. Prime example was RU going through another bad stretch of offense with no fg for 5 minutes, yet SHU was only able to cut a 14 point lead to 6. RU would hold SHU scoreless for 5 minutes. A big thing with prior Pike squads was that if shots were not falling, they would still be able to hang in the game because of defense. RU sustained that SHU run by clamping down and rebounding until the offense got rolling again. Each time SHU made a bit of push, RU would respond with big time answers from Noah or J Mike from 3. And I know some RU fans were handwringing late as RU's 13 point lead shrunk to just 5, I really was not worried. Ball was in Noah's hands. RU was resilient, it does not to be perfect and pretty. Gavin will learn from that ill advised 3 with a new 20 seconds to play with. Overall RU did not panic. This wasnt a Minnesota type finish.You want your team to be challenged and to respond without crumbling. Not even sure RU had a lead in the last two games so tonight playing with one was a big step forward. Its not Howard or even Georgetown, this is a real big boy hoops school they played tonight. RU also overcame some one sided home calls by the refs but it really showed how much better RU was than Seton Hall.

Yet Seton Hall isnt very good. Looks like a big drop off from last year and besides Richmond rather ordinary. Egads 3-20 from 3 is absymal and Dawes 3-15 alone and 3-16 fg is pretty pathetic. Plus despite getting a ton of favorable calls shot a weak 16-27 at the line for 57%. It will likely be a bottom 3 or 4 finish for the Blue Smurfs and their fans most of which were long gone as the Prudential turned into the Little Red Schoolhouse North.

Where do we go from here.? Not sure but we are in a better space than we were yesterday. There is intrigue now and there is a flicker of hope so let's see us take care of business vs Long Island and then just a huge opportunity game back at Prudential that will say alot about where our expectations heading into the new year should be.

Was at game. Sat in section 17.

Mag was unbelievable ! Just by him being in the lineup settles Cliff down and by extension the rest of the team. Mag got about 8-10 boards and played much more than what I anticipated.

Cliff was a man today ! Showed offensive touch and was a beast defensively.

After the Wake debacle, i recommended starting J Mike and he was terrific. Played under control and hit some big shots.

Basically everyone played well - Noah / Gavin / Hyatt etc.

RU faithful was quite boisterous at the game.

Saw Piscataway Mike and his brother ; RU 72 and Scnagg became legendary at the Rock!

Seton Hall fans are so down on their team and most I spoke to were not to knowledge of our players !

Tonjght was a potential season saving win!

Last edited:

I am not sure what went on in that lockerroom in Winston Salem Wedensday night following that horrific showing vs Wake. I tend to think in the aftermath it was probably a serious reflection time for both the coaching staff and each invididual player to identify what they could to to figure out the teams ills. It has been painfully obvious that this team needed some changes. Pike's tinkering with lineups and rotations has not been effective. Some guys deserved starts over others. Some guys needed to get the diapers taken off. This was a different team out there tonight. Had not seen them bring this air of confidence since maybe the Minnesota game and that was on February 1. I said after the Wake game to me the Seton Hall game moreso than winning or losing had to start with competing again. Not only did they did that, Rutgers found a layer of toughness and resilency not yet shown this season.

But any recap has to start with the return of Mawot Mag. RU fans have been waiting and waiting and waiting. Cleared to play yet fans were starting to get frustrated that Mag was not on the court for a team that definitely needed a jump start. His return was MAGNIFICENT! Making his debut in the starting lineup, Mag kickstarted the Rutgers failing heart right from the beginning. There were no slow starts tonight. Rutgers had some hops early and that by and large would never wane. Rutgers is not only deeper but they are just different with Mag in the lineup. Mag would have a very impressive debut playing 24 minutes with 4 points and 8 boards and showing no signs of rust really. That drive to the hoop in the first half for the bucket, now did he do that? Mag is just a better option than Wolf especially in a game vs SHU. Mag makes Cliff better. Mag makes the Rutgers defense better. Mag allows Hyatt to be more effective at what he does. No Mag is not a savior but you better damn believe that with Mag back in he fold this team radically changes.

Yet that was not the only change Rutgers saw tonight. The insertion of J Mike into the starting lineup turned out to be a brilliant move from Coach Pikiell. Is it too early to be talking about our own Diaper Dandies at RU. What we saw from J Mike in bits and pieces this year was only a sliver of what we got tonight. The sheer confidence from the kid. A sick stat line for a freshman....32 minutes, 11 points, 4-8 fg, 2-3 3pt, 6 assists, 2 boards, a block and a steal. J Mike at a level well beyond his experience level. To me his most impressive point of the night was his pass for an alley oop to Gavin late in the game. Perhaps a high risk play yet the needed aggressive play as RU was sort of getting to complacent on offense with the lead having been cut to just 10. Freshmen to freshmen, who had that on their bingo card? J Mike also had some timely 3s one early in the 2nd half and then another one that extended the lead to 17. I will even say that even though he didnt make both free throws. He did nail that first and that was huge as it put RU up 3 possessions with 38 seconds. Again its just one game but obviously its enough that at least for now J Mike deserves the start and deserves his opportunity to drive the Rutgers bus.

Hopefully that story arc called "What's the Matter with Cliff" effectively ended tonight. That's Amoure! Tonight Cliff showed us why we all fell in love with him years ago. Monster game....31 minutes, 11 points, 13 boards, 7 blocks. His defensive effort was superlative. Cliff drained all 5 foul shots and most importantly you could see he was having fun out there again. MVP performance finding that toughness we all know he possesses.

Noah Fernandes was the closer tonight. Board including me has been wondering just who the hell can you pick to have the ball at the end of the game. Tonight Noah made a very convincing argument that it is him. Noah scored 12 of RU's final 20 points in the last 8 and half minutes. Including two dagger type 3s, the latter of which put RU up 63-50 with under 3 to go. When Seton Hall started to inch closer in the final minute, no surprise that Pike made sure Noah had the ball in his hands and he delivered hitting all 4 of his free throws. 33 minutes, 19 points on 5-11 fg, 3-5 from 3, 6-6 at the line, it was his best overall offensive game of the season. Just looked more comfortable with J Mike rather than Simpson and plus the addition of Mag on the court. Perhaps this is the change needed to get him going on how most to effectively use his offensive skills.

Gavin Griffiths had a maddening 0-5, 0 point stat line at Wake when inserted into the starting lineup. He was back out of the starting lineup but it pretty obvious that Gavin underwent a change. The tentative Gavin who was a mess on both ends was suddenly in the perfect spot in the first half. Looking for his shot and shooting without hesitation. Though held to just that one bucket in the 2nd half, Gavin kept RU afloat in the first half with a trio of treys. Gavin finished a respectable 4-8 fg with 11 points in 22 minutes. Great bounce back from Gavin and he also had a nifty block which was his best defensive effort to date.

Andre Hyatt with Mag in the fold was allowed to do what he does best and that is to shoot 3s. Yeah only 9 points but he got RU going early in both halves and that was a timely 3 that put RU up 8 late in the first half. and I think the minutes at 24 reduced somewhat is something I approve of.

Oskar and Wolf only 9 minutes each. Quieter games but Wolf had 5 boards. Played their roles today. Obviously there will be games that require Wolf to play more, Seton Hall wasnt one of them.

Derek Simpson lost his starting role and will have to adust to that. Pike will call on him and some point so Derek has to keep his head up. Had a rough sequence later in the half with a miss one and one and turnover that allowed SHU to stay in the game. Just 15 minutes and 2 points but 2 assists.

Almost forget that no Austin Williams tonight because of injury but did not play a factor at all.

Overall Pike coached and prepped a great game. Big bounceback from him after the previous 2 game struggles. He has to be so glad to have Mag back. Motivation is a skill coaches have to have and Pike pushed all the right buttons not only with upperclassmen like Cliff but also with freshmen like J Mike and Gavin who played fearless

Teamwise RU was just tougher tonight. Those 50/50 balls started to go their way for once. What I really really like the most about this game was the way RU learned how to win and learned how to close things out. As the game drew on there were times that SHU would cut it down. Prime example was RU going through another bad stretch of offense with no fg for 5 minutes, yet SHU was only able to cut a 14 point lead to 6. RU would hold SHU scoreless for 5 minutes. A big thing with prior Pike squads was that if shots were not falling, they would still be able to hang in the game because of defense. RU sustained that SHU run by clamping down and rebounding until the offense got rolling again. Each time SHU made a bit of push, RU would respond with big time answers from Noah or J Mike from 3. And I know some RU fans were handwringing late as RU's 13 point lead shrunk to just 5, I really was not worried. Ball was in Noah's hands. RU was resilient, it does not to be perfect and pretty. Gavin will learn from that ill advised 3 with a new 20 seconds to play with. Overall RU did not panic. This wasnt a Minnesota type finish.You want your team to be challenged and to respond without crumbling. Not even sure RU had a lead in the last two games so tonight playing with one was a big step forward. Its not Howard or even Georgetown, this is a real big boy hoops school they played tonight. RU also overcame some one sided home calls by the refs but it really showed how much better RU was than Seton Hall.

Yet Seton Hall isnt very good. Looks like a big drop off from last year and besides Richmond rather ordinary. Egads 3-20 from 3 is absymal and Dawes 3-15 alone and 3-16 fg is pretty pathetic. Plus despite getting a ton of favorable calls shot a weak 16-27 at the line for 57%. It will likely be a bottom 3 or 4 finish for the Blue Smurfs and their fans most of which were long gone as the Prudential turned into the Little Red Schoolhouse North.

Where do we go from here.? Not sure but we are in a better space than we were yesterday. There is intrigue now and there is a flicker of hope so let's see us take care of business vs Long Island and then just a huge opportunity game back at Prudential that will say alot about where our expectations heading into the new year should be.
Great recap Bac. Mag is such a big key for us. Cliff and everyone really came to play tonight. Having a guard who can hit clutch free throws(Fernandes) is great to watch.

Best of Luck,
Groz

I see high school basketball

Pike needs to turn over this roster next year or no dancing.

2 top players is not enough

Last edited:
Was at game. Sat in section 17.

Mag was unbelievable ! Just by him being in the lineup settles Cliff down and by extension the rest of the team. Mag got about 8-10 boards and played much more than what I anticipated.

Cliff was a man today ! Showed offensive touch and was a beast defensively.

After the Wake debacle, i recommended starting J Mike and he was terrific. Played under control and hit some big shots.

Basically everyone played well - Noah / Gavin / Hyatt etc.

RU faithful was quite boisterous at the game.

Saw Piscataway Mike and his brother ; RU 72 and Scnagg became legendary at the Rock!

Seton Hall fans are so down on their team and most I spoke to were not to knowledge of our players !

Tonjght was a potential season saving win!
It’s as though Mag said to Cliff, “I got you bro, just go out there and have fun tonight” and Cliff definitely looked like he was having fun.

Early on I noticed that it was JMike calling for the huddles on dead balls and being the voice in the huddle. That shows a confidence rare for a freshman. Mag also lent his voice and upper class man leadership in the huddles.

A great re-bac, as usual.

Pike really lit a fire under the entire team, it was plainly evident. The energy out there was palpable. Mag certainly brought it, and JMike is from that same mold, but you saw the energy from Cliff in a big way. GG played fearless and that tentativeness was absent, he was pulling the trigger with confidence. Woolf rebounded with vigor and purpose, you could literally see the added energy coming from him.

Pike gets a lot of criticism as a coach, but he did a masterful job of refocusing this team to overcome two bad outings. He also deserves credit for inserting JMike into the starting lineup. The freshman rewarded that bold move with the best night of his young career.

The Mag. Not The Meg. The Mag. The man brought such fire and athleticism that this team was lacking, and he was 2 for 3 “at the rim,” a key stat for a team that struggles on 2-point FGs. More importantly, with Mag in the lineup — and now a strong PG — this team feels “whole” like it hasn’t all year. I think Pike found his rotation moving forward.

I see high school basketball

Pike needs to turn over this roster next year or no dancing.

2 top players is not enough
There will be roster changes because of graduations and players leaving for the transfer portal.The biggest concern will be the center position if Cliff doesn't return.Harper and Bailey are difference makers who will be the go to scorers at crunch time.The excitement level will be at a very high from the first practice to the games in post season.

They needed some confidence and they got it. I loved that Gavin got his shot off early in the game and hit some threes. You can see why he was rated as high as he was. Even his missed shot, he knew what he wanted to do when he got the ball. But it also helped that a guy like him got the ball in space/open

The recap still is painted with some items that don't fit within the reality of game flow and it comes down to the guards and getting open 3s.

The guards found Hyatt for open 3s early .....Hyatt drove into the paint and found Gavin for a 3.....Oskar entered into his role when Hyatt got his 2nd foul in the 1st half.........the notion that Hyatt had minutes reduced was based on the 2 fouls early......but there are still too many untimely drives and sketchy entry passes......he needs to play better but the 3s set the tone of the game.

Noah Fernandes played lights out again....I thought his game vs Wake was also very good, but got lost in the fans meltdown about the final score, how Cliff played poorly and Gavin going 0-5. Fernandes in a matchup against SHU and Wake, gives RU shot making and shot creating, at the end of the shot clock..........that was not available last year, we didn't have that aspect available.

On Mawot Mag......patience running thin for sure waiting for his return.....his return takes 10 minutes away from Woolfolk....and maybe 10 more minutes split from Hyatt and Oskar. He wasn't just good, he was excellent.....he pressed up on defense and disrupted drives...he challenged shots....by waiting as long as he did (December was always more realistic than October), he returned and was in sync vs SHU. With some time between games, this return timeline allows him the ability to see how he recovers and can ramp up into January and beyond.

If the guards or backcourt can survive a off game from Derek Simpson....and no Austin Williams.....you have 33 excellent minutes from Davis.....sometimes fans need to actually see something happen once or twice, but it takes longer for reality to set in.

The game really was a tone setter by Davis.....he challenged the opponent and increased the ability to get cheap baskets.....playing good defense last year, was fine, but it rarely paid off with a layup or easy baskets. With this backcourt potentially taking and hitting 3s AND having some chances to slow down opponents or get deflections, it has the potential to travel.

By not force feeding Cliff, adding Davis and Mag defense and hustle and Fernandes taking timely 3s and Gavin, Hyatt taking 3s, there's a path to winning.

I honestly don't think RU played that well, but they played hard.....that starts with the guard pressure, spreads to Mag being a pain in the neck and Cliff playing well.

I would be somewhat cautious on optimistic things, because I think SHU is small.....I think SHU had no answers for Cliff.....and SHU pressed and smothered RU into 43 points at the RAC last year and understood, that RU didnt handle backcourt pressure well last year...... It takes looking at some games and making a decision to revamp lineups this year.......and that's with Davis , who returned the favor towards SHU at the Rock. SHU didn't get anything in transition and we made them play halfcourt basketball.....

There's upside to this roster folks, but we need to build upon this. The goal for this year remains the same. Find minutes for Griffiths, Davis, Simpson and Woolfolk.....these steps forward aid in finding out if these players can become what Mag has developed into and became last year and this year.....a reliable player that is getting better and improving, that we can count on next year for 2024-25.

Last edited:
A great re-bac, as usual.

Pike really lit a fire under the entire team, it was plainly evident. The energy out there was palpable. Mag certainly brought it, and JMike is from that same mold, but you saw the energy from Cliff in a big way. GG played fearless and that tentativeness was absent, he was pulling the trigger with confidence. Woolf rebounded with vigor and purpose, you could literally see the added energy coming from him.

Pike gets a lot of criticism as a coach, but he did a masterful job of refocusing this team to overcome two bad outings. He also deserves credit for inserting JMike into the starting lineup. The freshman rewarded that bold move with the best night of his young career.

The Mag. Not The Meg. The Mag. The man brought such fire and athleticism that this team was lacking, and he was 2 for 3 “at the rim,” a key stat for a team that struggles on 2-point FGs. More importantly, with Mag in the lineup — and now a strong PG — this team feels “whole” like it hasn’t all year. I think Pike found his rotation moving forward.
Did Pike even sit down tonight? He was INTENSE

We actually looked like a complete team with Mag out there.

His defense and rebounding was sorely missed.

But more importantly, as Bac said - he helps and enables other guys (Cliff, Hyatt) to play more within themselves. We also don’t have to rely as much on Woolfolk or Oscar for minutes.

His impact and value goes beyond the stat sheet.

I still think we struggle this year against bigger teams with our smaller guards, but last night was a great step in the right direction.

But more importantly, as Bac said - he helps and enables other guys (Cliff, Hyatt) to play more within themselves. We also don’t have to rely as much on Woolfolk or Oscar for minutes.

I still think we struggle this year against bigger teams with our smaller guards, but last night was a great step in the right direction.

8 rebounds on 24 minutes is tremendous, but it's got to happen against bigger teams if RU plans to make a NCAA tournament this year.

24 3s is a great stat we need to see, making 12 is nice...... In the post game press conference, Pike spoke about Mag and his impact and "how he's working on his 3 point shot".

Mag taking 3s is a big change for how teams defend or scout RU. If he has improved his 3 point range and you pair that with his defense and rebounding, he evolves into a completely different player....RU needs complete players at all 5 positions, in order to Dance. I'm VERY interested in Mag taking 3s. He works hard on his defense and rebounding, I have ZERO problem rewarding him with the freedom to shoot from 3, if the defense gives him that shot.

Another fantastic recap.

Very encouraging. Still much to work on, but a major step forward tonight given the circumstances.

I think what was very telling for me was Cliff and Mawot’s postgame comments at Pike’s presser. Its clear now Cliff missed his roommate and brother on the court. They make each other better and that was crystal clear tonight. That energy os infectious and helped the whole team.

It was a perfect storm.
- Mag back and plays great.
- Cliff energized and plays, by far, his best game of the season.
- 3 point shots dropping everywhere (nice job by Fernandez, Griffiths, Hyatt, JMike).
- SHU can't make 3s or free throws.

I think we all agreed that as long as RU got 2 of 4 from Illinois, Wake, SHU, and Miss St, the train would remain on track. We need the Miss St game to meet our goal but it seems much more realistic this morning that it's possible than it did 24 hours ago.

Agree here. I’ve been saying in the post game threads that the team just seems more “whole” with Mag in the lineup. There was just a hole at the 4 spot that Mag can now fill, and it takes pressure off of Hyatt to be The Man, and he can focus on what he does best.

In the debate since Mag went down last year, most of the pro-Mag contingent weren’t saying he was the “best” player on the team, but that he was one of the most important players, and when he was absent, the rest of the delicate balance kind of crumbled.

I think we saw this viewpoint play out last night the other way, as the team chemistry and all of the team parts just seemed repaired with Mag back (and honestly with JMike running the point).

A well deserved win. I'm not gonna nit pick about some faults I saw but I will say I get nervous every time Hyatt puts the ball on the floor. He's a turnover waiting to happen. Even when he doesn't turn it over and drives to the basket, he misses more layups than he makes. Sorry if I put a damper on him since I really like him as a teammate on this team but he does give me anxiety.

Agree here. I’ve been saying in the post game threads that the team just seems more “whole” with Mag in the lineup. There was just a hole at the 4 spot that Mag can now fill, and it takes pressure off of Hyatt to be The Man, and he can focus on what he does best.

In the debate since Mag went down last year, most of the pro-Mag contingent weren’t saying he was the “best” player on the team, but that he was one of the most important players, and when he was absent, the rest of the delicate balance kind of crumbled.

I think we saw this viewpoint play out last night the other way, as the team chemistry and all of the team parts just seemed repaired with Mag back (and honestly with JMike running the point).
Agree Mag is such a big deal in this lineup - all you need to do is look at last year.

JMike was great last night, but I am certainly not sold on him. He has been God-Awful offensively up until last night and I need to see more before I say I BELIEVE! I will say when I first saw him at the open practice he was the player I was most excited for - he seemed to have a step on everyone, and could get to the hole where others couldn't. Hopefully this is a turning point for JMike - it gives us a dynamic wrinkle if it is!

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Agree Mag is such a big deal in this lineup - all you need to do is look at last year.

JMike was great last night, but I am certainly not sold on him. He has been God-Awful offensively up until last night and I need to see more before I say I BELIEVE! I will say when I first saw him at the open practice he was the player I was most excited for - he seemed to have a step on everyone, and could get to the hole where others couldn't. Hopefully this is a turning point for JMike - it gives us a dynamic wrinkle if it is!
I don’t think “god awful” is the right phrase to describe JMike prior to last night. He hasn’t been shooting great, and his FTs were bad, but he had 10 assists to 0 TOs over the previous few games, and he plays great defense. I think that’s why Pike started him.

Is he going to shoot like he did last night, every night? Probably not. But he has shown me more as a “point guard” than Simpson ever has. And his offense is developing before our eyes.

I don’t think “god awful” is the right phrase to describe JMike prior to last night. He hasn’t been shooting great, and his FTs were bad, but he had 10 assists to 0 TOs over the previous few games, and he plays great defense. I think that’s why Pike started him.

Is he going to shoot like he did last night, every night? Probably not. But he has shown me more as a “point guard” than Simpson ever has. And his offense is developing before our eyes.
Before yesterday he was shooting 26% from the field and 37% FTs - that is Jalen Miller territory. Before the last 3 games of 10 assists to 0 TOs he was basically at a 1:1 Assist to Turnover ratio. Before yesterday I would have called JMike a Jalen Miller with benefits - to me you can't have your PG having such anemic numbers and seeing the court, UNLESS you have great pieces all around him (which we obviously don't). As I've said I hope this is a turning point for JMIke becasue we certainly need every bit of what he gave us yesterday!

He is the first really true PG Pike has had.

Reactions: Scangg
Before yesterday he was shooting 26% from the field and 37% FTs - that is Jalen Miller territory. Before the last 3 games of 10 assists to 0 TOs he was basically at a 1:1 Assist to Turnover ratio. Before yesterday I would have called JMike a Jalen Miller with benefits - to me you can't have your PG having such anemic numbers and seeing the court, UNLESS you have great pieces all around him (which we obviously don't). As I've said I hope this is a turning point for JMIke becasue we certainly need every bit of what he gave us yesterday!
For God's sake, he was playing in high school less than a year ago. You can't base his future play on a handful of games, especially his shooting. In four years we'll see him as one of the top 3-4 PG's in RU history.

I hear you, puppy, but he was mostly a low volume shooter, and the other aspects of his game were sound. I acknowledged that his shooting and FTs weren’t good before. Where we differed is that I don’t think he was “god awful,” as he did flash in prior games and was solid in a lot of areas.

Maybe it’s semantics in terms of the words you chose, but it’s all good. He’s a freshman, and he was just getting his feet wet in the first 8 games. We agree that last night can be a springboard for him to become our primary PG this year.

Excellent games from JMike, CO, Noah, Mag.
Needed the win.
Would love to see GGs stat line fill.

We shot extremely well, the Hall extremely poorly, and I emphasize the foul line, and the game really tightened up in the final two minutes.

Looking forward to rest of Dec.

Really needed that game. Still will remain cautiously optimistic. A lot of things went well. Some here to stay, others maybe. Just Not sure we can count on 50% on 3s and opponents shooting 15%/59% (3s/FT). Two concerning stats.. We shot 34% on two point shots and gave up 16 offensive rebounds. Recurring themes there. Feels so much better with Mag back.

Reactions: Scangg and RUby RED
It was explained to you and you double- down. He is our freshman. Backing up Noah and Derek. He had been passing better than either one in his point guard role. He is also fearless and can step up and take a big time shot like the 3 that got us back in the game against Illinois. He didn’t take a lot of foul shots so his misses were not impactful. For a stretch there we were missing 10-12 foul shots as a team and Wolf has struggled the most. He has good form on his shot and it will only get better. By the way , he plays pretty damn good defense and learning to fight over screens.
So your description of “God Awful” is so clueless as if you never played or watched a game.

13 Paragraphs and not quite the adoration and attention that 13 paragraphs and hours of your life would have you think it’s worth to keep wasting your life doing this. I suggest getting a life so that you don’t have any regrets at your death bed. When you are minutes to death you will look back and say what did i do with my life.

I saw some reasons for optimism , mostly that Mag returned and contributed , Davis added energy and timely points , and there was much more energy on defense and fight for rebounds. Cliff was a force on defense and the guards did not force feed Cliff on offense. I thought Gavin should have gotten more touches in the second half and Derek really needs to get into the offensive flow . He's got too much talent and can contribute so much more. There's hope for better days but still something seems to be missing on offense especially in the half court offense.

13 Paragraphs and not quite the adoration and attention that 13 paragraphs and hours of your life would have you think it’s worth to keep wasting your life doing this. I suggest getting a life so that you don’t have any regrets at your death bed. When you are minutes to death you will look back and say what did i do with my life.

He’ll know he lived it better than you

Reactions: hiwater
He’ll know he lived it better than you
lol you are no one to talk. You live in someone’s basement and had to move out of NJ because you could not afford it. Your family is embarrassed of you. You can’t afford premium while a bunch of us simply refuse to pay it as long as it a run the way it is. Lol

It was explained to you and you double- down. He is our freshman. Backing up Noah and Derek. He had been passing better than either one in his point guard role. He is also fearless and can step up and take a big time shot like the 3 that got us back in the game against Illinois. He didn’t take a lot of foul shots so his misses were not impactful. For a stretch there we were missing 10-12 foul shots as a team and Wolf has struggled the most. He has good form on his shot and it will only get better. By the way , he plays pretty damn good defense and learning to fight over screens.
So your description of “God Awful” is so clueless as if you never played or watched a game.
We need to let these guys rip it (within reason) so they can develop. Saturday was a big step forward for J-Mike and Gavin. Hopefully their confidence continues to grow from here.

Reactions: goru7

Huh?

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT