ADVERTISEMENT

Oskar

PhillyRU

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2021
Best offensive rating on the team and doing most of his damage inside the arc. Tough to quantity his performance defensively but does he deserve more PT/a role on O?

The short answer is no.

Our fans don’t want to hear it, but to give our team the best chance to win we mostly need to play our best defensive line ups. Who this is changes depending on the style of play of the opponent.

When your offensive production is as horrendous as ours is statistically, that’s the only approach to take unless you give up entirely on trying to win and play for the future which is dumb to do in the era of NIL when the future is unknown anyway.

Austin William’s sample size isn’t statistically meaningful yet - he’s shooting at 55% but he’s among the best defenders on the team anyway so it doesn’t matter. He’ll play a ton regardless. With everyone else it’s splitting hairs on offense. Our other 4 rotation guards are all shooting under 35% from the field. Only Derek is over 30% from 3 and just barely. That is abysmal.

Love his free throw shooting and hustle. Was glad he returned since he is a great teammate and willing to play any position needed.

That said....he has many whoops moments where he just drops the ball and turns it over without pressure.

He had a layup on a great pass at the end of the game vs IU and just dropped it.

Reactions: RAC93 and satnom
Gavin is the future; playing Oskar is short-sighted. I would rather give Mag and Williams more minutes.

Reactions: runner3283
Gavin is the future; playing Oskar is short-sighted. I would rather give Mag and Williams more minutes.
Don’t disagree. Don’t want to over work Mag with more than half a season left. Williams is enjoying himself out there as the oldest player. I’m with the play the future movement. Gavin and even Chol over Oskar in my opinion.

GO RU

Don’t disagree. Don’t want to over work Mag with more than half a season left. Williams is enjoying himself out there as the oldest player. I’m with the play the future movement. Gavin and even Chol over Oskar in my opinion.

GO RU
I disagree. Griffith is a net negative on the floor. Playing time will not cure what ails Griffith. He simply is not ready for B10 play. Let him sit, watch and learn while he hits the weights and builds some muscle.

I disagree. Griffith is a net negative on the floor. Playing time will not cure what ails Griffith. He simply is not ready for B10 play. Let him sit, watch and learn while he hits the weights and builds some muscle.
I don’t disagree with your disagreement but Gavin has to continue to get mins. I just think Gavin can get one or two rebounds, foul someone, turnover ball once and get two pts like Oskar after five years with the program while Gavin is just beginning.

GO RU

Last edited:
Reactions: darkcheck
Oskar getting minutes is a bad sign. That being said Pike trusts him and he plays with energy.
I understand Pike’s thinking on this. We absolutely had to have that win, and as you said Pike trusts Oskar and needed him for a few minutes.

I don’t disagreement with your disagreement but Gavin has to continue to get mins. I just think Gavin can get one or two rebounds, foul someone, turnover ball once and get two pts like Oskar after five years with the program while Gavin is just beginning.

GO RU

It’s clear he needs development.
More minutes does not equal more development, sometimes it can send athletes backwards.

Gavin needs to develop physically (strength and pounds) , he needs to develop technically - especially on D (more practice reps, film, and watching than game reps helps here), he needs to develop shooting in high end play (game reps help the most here)

Reactions: BillyC80
It’s the staff's job to get the most out of the roster they’ve assembled, and win games. It’s hard to fathom that means Oskar getting more playing time than Gavin.

Reactions: satnom and jrm75
Team ranked by Bart's PPRG!
1 Hyatt 2.3
2 Cliff 1.7
3 Mag 1.5
4 Simpson 1.1
5 Palmquist 0.6
---
6 Noah 0.5
7 AW 0.4
8 Wolf 0.4
9 Gavin -0.2
10 Davis -0.3

Team ranked by BPM
1 Hyatt 6.2
2 Cliff 5.3
3 Mag 3.3
4 Palmquist 2.8
5 Simpson 2.2
---
6 AW 1.6
7 Davis 0
8 Wolf -0.4
9 Noah -0.5
10 Gavin -2.9

Team ranked by Offense BPM
1 Hyatt 3.4
2 Mag 0.5
3 Cliff 0.1
4 Simpson -0.7
T5 Palmquist -1.5
T5 AW -1.5
---
T7 Wolf -2.9
T7 Davis -2.9
9 Noah -3.3
10 Gavin -3.4

Team ranked by Defense BPM
1 Cliff 5.2
2 Palmquist 4.2
3 AW 3.1
T4 Simpson 2.9
T4 Davis 2.9
---
T6 Hyatt 2.8
T6 Noah 2.8
8 Mag 2.7
9 Wolf 2.5
10 Gavin 0.4

Team ranked by Bart's PPRG!
1 Hyatt 2.3
2 Cliff 1.7
3 Mag 1.5
4 Simpson 1.1
5 Palmquist 0.6
---
6 Noah 0.5
7 AW 0.4
8 Wolf 0.4
9 Gavin -0.2
10 Davis -0.3

Team ranked by BPM
1 Hyatt 6.2
2 Cliff 5.3
3 Mag 3.3
4 Palmquist 2.8
5 Simpson 2.2
---
6 AW 1.6
7 Davis 0
8 Wolf -0.4
9 Noah -0.5
10 Gavin -2.9

Team ranked by Offense BPM
1 Hyatt 3.4
2 Mag 0.5
3 Cliff 0.1
4 Simpson -0.7
T5 Palmquist -1.5
T5 AW -1.5
---
T7 Wolf -2.9
T7 Davis -2.9
9 Noah -3.3
10 Gavin -3.4

Team ranked by Defense BPM
1 Cliff 5.2
2 Palmquist 4.2
3 AW 3.1
T4 Simpson 2.9
T4 Davis 2.9
---
T6 Hyatt 2.8
T6 Noah 2.8
8 Mag 2.7
9 Wolf 2.5
10 Gavin 0.4
I generally balk at individual defensive metrics, but these seem to paint him in a very positive light on that end of the floor

These stats would be more significant if we are not 1-3 in league. Losing formula so far.

Last edited:
My seats are two rows from the court. What I see time and again is a player soft as melted butter. Griffith needs learn to play a man’s game when he gets minutes. Austin Williams and Mags are players he should attempt to emulate.

These stats would be more significant if we are not 1-3 in league. Losing formula so far.
Sure, but you were wondering about Oskar getting more minutes in this last game than Gavin. These stats provide some clues as to why.

Reactions: Scangg
Sure, but you were wondering about Oskar getting more minutes in this last game than Gavin. These stats provide some clues as to why.
Small sample size. I’ve watched Oskar for 4 years. He is not a more skilled and more athletic player than Gavin. The coaches and Gavin have to solve his slow start and integrate him into the action to get better results.

Reactions: jrm75
Small sample size. I’ve watched Oskar for 4 years. He is not a more skilled and more athletic player than Gavin. The coaches and Gavin have to solve his slow start and integrate him into the action to get better results.
Agreed. In this particular case where we absolutely had to have a win, Pike trusted Oskar just a bit more than Gavin. For now.

Agreed. In this particular case where we absolutely had to have a win, Pike trusted Oskar just a bit more than Gavin. For now.
Yup but that’s not saying much and these metrics place Oskar in a better light because he doesn’t play much as it is.

if Gavin is not ready, I say give Chol some mins.

GO RU

Chol? Good lord.
That’s the reaction I have when Oskar is mentioned. Gavin and Chol are in the “Good Lord” category but they just got to the program. Oskar has been here for ages.

We’re not playing for a BIG title this year so we need to develop what we have for the future.

GO RU

What Oskar brings that Chol and Gavin do not is energy - especially at home. Oskar is usually good for some mistakes but when he comes in he kind of brings everyone else’s energy level up too. If Gavin can accept that he’s not currently a star and just be content bringing that contagious energy, the minutes are his. Easier said than done.

When I get depressed because Oskar is worthy of getting minutes on this team I watch more of these clips

What Oskar brings that Chol and Gavin do not is energy - especially at home. Oskar is usually good for some mistakes but when he comes in he kind of brings everyone else’s energy level up too. If Gavin can accept that he’s not currently a star and just be content bringing that contagious energy, the minutes are his. Easier said than done.
Chol has played with energy. That's not why he isn't playing

GO RU
Agreed with minutes. Pike played IU like a fiddle with substitutions.

9 of 10 RU players played 9 or more minutes with 5 in double figures.
6 of 11 IU players played 9 or more minutes with 3 in double figures.

This will be what makes this a successful season.

When Pike rested starters from 12' mark to 8' mark and brought starters back we went on that 14-2 run. The subs are important.

I told my son at 10' mark that Indiana starters were playing too much and if backups held lead we would dominate. I am glad more players are contributing for depth.

GO RU

I don’t think Chol is going to be around next season.

Reactions: RUskoolie
I think Oskar's been doing a nice job at the five, and I think that chest middle action looks a lot better when the screener can pop out and hit a three

Oskar gets no respect from the officials. None. At the end of the half he literally just got tossed out of bounds as he was going for a loose ball and nothing called. Michigan gets an open look for a three. Insane.

Oskar getting minutes is a function of Griffith’s ineptitude. Pikell currently has no other choice.
I’d still play Griffiths to see if we actually have anything here for next year. This season is toast anyway. Pike doesn’t have good luck in the portal so let’s try to build a supporting cast for Dylan and Ace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT