ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 14th Annual "Pinfield Era" Melody Bar Reunion (2/29/20) at the Elks in NB

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
12/12/19 Edit: again, bumping this thread, since the 14th annual Pinfield Era Melody Reunion date was announced a couple of weeks ago to be on Saturday, 2/29/20 from 7 pm to 12:30 am at the Elks Club in NB, for those 46 an over (if you were 18 or over in '92, which was the end of the Pinfield Era). It's a $15 cover to get in, which mostly goes to charity; this event is one of the biggest charity fundraising event of the year for the Elks.

The link to the FB event page is just below, but in case it won't copy/paste properly, as in the past, just do a FB search on 14th annual Melody reunions for details. In addition, some more details from the Facebook event page are at the end of this thread, as most people go to the end of a thread for the most recent info.

Feel free to ignore my long, personal Melody Bar history in the rest of this first post from a few years ago. :>)

Here's the summary for the 2017 Reunion:

FYI, the 11th Annual Pinfield Era Melody Reunion is Saturday, 2/25 at the Elks Club in NB. Have been to all 10, so far - it's our favorite night of the year - my wife and I met there in 1987 and we'll have a decent sized crew there, as usual (see below for the gory details, lol). If you used to go to the Melody back in the 80s/early 90s, you need to just go to the Reunion - it's that much fun. It's a private event, with the main "rule" for entry being that you have to be 43 years old (meaning you were old enough to have gone to the Mel in '92, the semi-official end of the Pinfield Era, as he went on to fame and fortune at MTV soon after that).

Matt Pinfield is definitely going to be there, spinning, along with 5-6 other original Melody DJs. He's been to about half of them, but to be honest, with so many other Melody DJs there and a big chunk of the original crowd of regulars from the 80s and early 90s there, his attendance is just a bonus. Matt's fresh out of another stint in rehab (for alcohol; it's a tough lifestyle for someone with substance abuse problems) and he's also doing a book signing tomorrow at Randy Now's (former owner of City Gardens) Man Cave in Bordentown for his autobiography, "All These Things That I've Done: My Insane, Improbable Rock Life."

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...alks-book-rehab-mtv-whtg-and-melody/98212326/

Gory Details (from 2016)

It's actually a pretty extraordinary event if you think about it. How many defunct bars have reunions that attract 300-400 people every year? And from talking to people I've met at these reunions (and reading all the FB posts) this is clearly the biggest event on many attendees' calendars. It's hard to pin down exactly what it is, but somehow, we all shared a time and place that was truly special, between the music, the bar, the rotating murals, the dancing, and the complete acceptance of everyone from queers to jocks to lawyers to punks. Matt does a nice job trying to explain the appeal in the first link below.

And while the re-creation of it isn't exactly the same, it's still pretty damn cool for a bunch of middle-aged folks. The dancing is a little (not a lot) slower and most of us need more breaks, but that huge dancefloor (about 3-4X the size of the downstairs dancefloor at the Melody) is seriously packed almost from the start at 7 pm until closing around 1 am.

Since I used to be one of Matt's "roadies" back in the day, I'm part of the setup and breakdown crew before and after. The guy who supplies the DJ equipment and who also DJs a set every year, Ed Wong (who also has, IMO, the best radio show on the planet every Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm on 88.7 RM, WRSU - he plays everything from Elvis to Dylan to The Clash to Joy Division to P-Funk to the Stone Roses to Nirvana to plenty of newer stuff, too), has one of the most amazing setups you could imagine, but it takes 2-3 hours to assemble. Our crew is usually there the whole night and I'd guess that most of us are on the dancefloor 75% of the time. See the links - I'm in the 2nd one, lol.

Really Gory Personal Details

Anyway, if anyone has read this far and is interested in a little more NB history and personal history, read on. Below is the post I made the day after the Melody closed in March of 2001 - yes, I saved it.

Post #4007 OT: The Melody, RIP - a very sad day for New Brunswick...(long) Edit | Reply ..the Melody Bar was knocked down this week, ending all hope that somehow Cal and Steve would reconcile their differences and reopen the only bar that mattered. I've posted a few times over the years about my memories of that place and for those of you who remember the Mel, it's truly a sad day. It was, quite simply, the coolest punk/alternative bar on the planet and that's not just me talking. I met a bunch of folks over the years who would come there from NYC, because it blew away any bars of that type in the City and there were several write-ups over the years in regional/national entertainment mags/papers.

I started going there once in awhile in 1981, although back then I used to go to Patrix and the Court Tavern more, as I was more interested in seeing bands and the Melody was only on the first floor until about 1985 or so. Being slightly on the older side, I started going to the Melody around 1982, back when there was only the downstairs (I even go back to Matt's days at Tod's on Georges Rd, I think). After adding on the second floor to the Melody, they had enough room upstairs for bands, although the main attraction for the Melody was always the DJ music and dancing, not bands. By the mid-80s, I used to go there 3-4 nights a week - usually at least on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, the nights Matt Pinfield used to DJ. He was and still is the most knowledgable person I've ever met regarding music (and not just punk, but all kinds - I was at his apartment a few times back in those days and he had about 5000 albums/CDs and that was just his "heavy rotation stuff" as he had 2-3 times that number at his parents' house in East Brunswick) and was the best club DJ I've ever seen - he just had a way of knowing the crowd and making the music flow all night.

In fact, I was one of those "roadies" who helped Matt bring his records in and pack them up at the end of the night. I also helped Matt DJ some, especially during his occasional 10-15 minute "absences" (let's just say he was indulgent). I had three big reasons for being there: 1) chicks; 2) the music; 3) chicks. Seriously, of the 10 or so women I ever dated semi-seriously in my life, I probably met 75% of them at the Mel, by asking them to dance and taking it from there.

And, of course, I met my wife there. On March 12, 1987, while standing by the dance floor, I felt someone tugging gently on my way-cool, fluorescent Jetsons T-shirt. I turned around and asked the cute girl who was pointing to my T-shirt out to her friend, if I could help her. She sheepishly said she thought it was "really neat" and was just pointing it out to her sister. I then asked her if she liked Big Audio Dynamite. She said no. I then asked her if she liked the song that was playing. She said yes. I told her it was E=mc2 (squared) by Big Audio Dynamite and asked her if she wanted to dance. She sheepishly said yes. We moved in together several months later and got married in 1991.

Some more personal trivia. A few dates into our relationship, I surprised her by arranging with Matt, who was now DJ-ing at WHTG, FM106.3 (the greatest alternative radio station ever, may it rest in peace - it's "replacement" G106.3 pales in comparison), to play (I'll Stop the World and) Melt With You, by Modern English, followed by Tenderness, by General Public, including a personal dedication to her. Needless to say, I did not wake up alone the next day :>)

Fast forward to September 22, 1990. My cohabitatohead (a term we coined as we were now living together) had given me the challenge of making sure I was serious about it when I decided to pop the question. So we went to see the Wonder Stuff at the Fastlane in Asbury Park - they were our favorite band since they came out in 1987 (buy their first album, Eight Legged Groove Machine if you want 15 brilliant songs of pure pop heaven with an edge; they were huge [numerous top ten singles/albums] in the UK until they broke up in 1994). They never made it big here, other than on WHTG and MTV's 120 minutes, but had a rabid local following due to the Matt-WHTG connection.

The place was sold out and, unknown to my girlfriend, I had arranged with Matt P., who was very good friends with the band, to have them do my proposal to my wife on-stage during the show. I figured that was pretty serious. I had also let the 10 or so friends we came with in on the secret, so there was much anticipation and plenty of chance for public embarrassment for both of us - me for being rejected, her for being asked.

So about 2/3 of the way through the show, Miles Hunt, the lead singer, called Matt up on stage to do a song (Matt used to be in a local band called Opium Valla) and Matt handed him a note, which I had written. Miles looked oddly at Matt and said to the audience, "I'd like to do a song with Mr. Matt Pinfield, but first I have an announcement to make. There's a guy out there named Erik, who'd like to know if Judy will marry him - why the **** he'd want an ugly mug like me to ask for him, I'll never know." They then launched into "Unbearable," one of our favorite songs, at which time Judy smacked me and said "you jerk," but happily agreed to be married, much to the joy and relief of our gathered friends. We then partied with Matt and the band all night. A night to remember. Edit: @psychoRUfan was in the crowd that night...

Now fast forward again to 9/1/91, our wedding day. The esteemed Mr. Pinfield DJ-ed our outdoor wedding at the Forest Lodge in Warren on a beautiful, clear, pleasantly warm (70 F) day. Everyone was dressed casually, except my wife, who was in a big fluffy white wedding dress (there's an awesome pic of her in her dress jumping to catchone of the 200 frisbees we had made as wedding gifts for the guests). The mayor of Highland Park performed the ceremony and then we partied for hours - it was essentially a punk rock picnic, with occasional slam dancing to the musical stylings of Mr. P. Our three wedding songs were E=mc2, as expected, Just Like Heaven (the Cure) and Unbearable, also as expected if you've read this far (if you have, seek help now). Of course, a bunch of us ended up at the Melody that night to cap things off.

So, as you can see, music has been a huge part of my life and the life of my wife and me since we met. Not surprisingly, though, our trips to the Melody and live shows dwindled (but didn't stop completely) once we had our son in 1994 - we probably only made it out to the Melody every few months in the mid/late 90s, although I went solo or with friends more frequently, just to hear the music. Obviously, if you've come this far you know a lot more about me than you probably need to. Maybe it's the finality of losing something that has been such a huge part of my heart and soul for so long (colored, of course, by the nostalgia that comes with age). Anyway, there you have it.

Last edited:
I don't like the discriminatory age policy posted here on this board. I get that it's a private event, but this is a public free board. Promoting event that is telling people in their 30s and early 40s you're not welcomed here is not good. Age discrimination is real and prevalant. It's no different than saying "no Hispanic people really went to the melody before 1992, so if you're Hispanic you can't come".
Also , don't undersrand the lovefest with pinfield. He couldn't really hack it at 101.9, so much so that the station didn't just get rid of him, but they changed formats to no music at all. Also, pinfield was into drugs. Have a great event.

just shut up. Pinfield is a music legend and a good guy. Not everyone leads a perfect life, and you are a good example.

Excuse me. I never mentioned anything about perfection. I posted facts. Don't really care about the event, but an age discriminatory event getting promoted here is not good. And yes lots of talented people have been drug addicts. I don't disagree.

Excuse me. I never mentioned anything about perfection. I posted facts. Don't really care about the event, but an age discriminatory event getting promoted here is not good. And yes lots of talented people have been drug addicts. I don't disagree.

Wow, who pissed in your Wheaties this morning???

Reactions: MrsScrew
This is a good event and a lot of people put hard work into pulling it off. I've been all but the first year and will be there tonight. It is a great time for folks who like that music or just went to the Melody during that time.

I didn't know they still enforced the age rule. It made sense when they first started having these at the Elks - you didn't want a bunch of students flooding the place. But this event has been around for awhile and some of the novelty has worn off - don't see the lines to get in like you used to. The addition of a second event later in the year has lessened the crowds even more. They should drop the rule.

This is a good event and a lot of people put hard work into pulling it off. I've been all but the first year and will be there tonight. It is a great time for folks who like that music or just went to the Melody during that time.

I didn't know they still enforced the age rule. It made sense when they first started having these at the Elks - you didn't want a bunch of students flooding the place. But this event has been around for awhile and some of the novelty has worn off - don't see the lines to get in like you used to. The addition of a second event later in the year has lessened the crowds even more. They should drop the rule.

It will be novel for me. For various reasons, never made one of them, and I am excited to be going tonight.

Reactions: RU848789
KS, if this is your first one, you'll have a great time! By the end of the night the dance floor will be heaving!! Prepare to be stepped on more than once - and if it is by me, I apologize in advance.

Reactions: RU848789
There was no place like the Melody. Started going in 82. Numbers, my wife (also a big Melody fan) and I were trying to remember where the first reunion was held. I thought Court Tavern and she thinks in that bar in Clifton.

Actually big time boom booms from the sky are projected.Numbers will be curled up in the fetal position under the bar with other AARP members.:)

I pass by the empty grass triangle where the Melody used to be and I feel a little bit happy and a little bit sad every time.

I don't like the discriminatory age policy posted here on this board. I get that it's a private event, but this is a public free board. Promoting event that is telling people in their 30s and early 40s you're not welcomed here is not good. Age discrimination is real and prevalant. It's no different than saying "no Hispanic people really went to the melody before 1992, so if you're Hispanic you can't come".
Also , don't undersrand the lovefest with pinfield. He couldn't really hack it at 101.9, so much so that the station didn't just get rid of him, but they changed formats to no music at all. Also, pinfield was into drugs. Have a great event.

Nerd! Someone never hung out at the "House of Love" in NB.

I struggle to comprehend the sort of vanity and egocentrism that results in the OP.
I struggle to comprehend the sort of douchiness that compels you to repeatedly give me shit about my posts. You have the option to not read them. And, by the way, the simple act of posting on a message board, which you've done 34,277 times now, is the definition of egocentrism, so welcome to the club. There are actually some people who enjoy reading about other people's lives.

I've posted before that I was basically living at the Mel Wed-Sun nights in the 80s and maybe a little into the 90s. I'm sure I crossed paths with a lot of you guys. I knew Matt pretty well and Pete S who was like junior Matt for a bunch of years. Never went to a reunion. I think I want to remember it the way it was - not relive it with a bunch of old folks - I'm weird that way.

I struggle to comprehend the sort of douchiness that compels you to repeatedly give me shit about my posts. You have the option to not read them. And, by the way, the simple act of posting on a message board, which you've done 34,277 times now, is the definition of egocentrism, so welcome to the club. There are actually some people who enjoy reading about other people's lives.

Tell us more about you. We haven't heard enough.

I've posted before that I was basically living at the Mel Wed-Sun nights in the 80s and maybe a little into the 90s. I'm sure I crossed paths with a lot of you guys. I knew Matt pretty well and Pete S who was like junior Matt for a bunch of years. Never went to a reunion. I think I want to remember it the way it was - not relive it with a bunch of old folks - I'm weird that way.

You're far from alone. Have several friends who used to be regulars who refuse to go. I will say this, though. Last year one of those friends finally agreed to go for the first time and she absolutely loved it and will be back. I get wanting to preserve the memory, but for me that's far outweighed by simply wanting to have some fun, even at AARP age. I'm old, not dead. So maybe think about it - worst case you walk in, have a drink, listen to some great tunes, say hi to a few old friends and walk out...best case, you have a friggin' blast.

Reactions: MrsScrew
There was no place like the Melody. Started going in 82. Numbers, my wife (also a big Melody fan) and I were trying to remember where the first reunion was held. I thought Court Tavern and she thinks in that bar in Clifton.

She's kind of right - was at the Loop Lounge in Passaic. Nobody knew what to expect and it was a blast. The next year was the Court, I think, then it's been at the Elks since then, iirc. This FB thread has a bunch of pix from the first reunion in a post a few pages down. Not sure it's accessible for some reason (the thread is listed as public, but hasn't shown up when I tried to link to it in the past).

Edit: didn't work again...will try this one, which gets you to the general page for the Melody Bar and then maybe you can click on the link for the 11th reunion from there...

https://www.facebook.com/TheMelodyBar/

Numbers I am about to meet age 63 . If I attend I will be one of those hiding under the bar in fear..And drinking a cold one.

Bummer, wish I had more notice 'cause I'd like to make one of these. However, the other half is down in VA for the weekend so it's not possible.

Funny using the Elks club - we used to use the American Legion building on 27 in Highland Park for the marching band parties, particularly the Luau after Homecoming. I don't even think that's still around now.

Wow. Just..........wow.

Bummer, wish I had more notice 'cause I'd like to make one of these. However, the other half is down in VA for the weekend so it's not possible.

Funny using the Elks club - we used to use the American Legion building on 27 in Highland Park for the marching band parties, particularly the Luau after Homecoming. I don't even think that's still around now.

Wow. Just..........wow.

Sorry, kept meaning to post earlier and the thread on the NB scene is on the Rutgers Issues board, which doesn't get the traffic. Given the success of these parties (we're the biggest night of the year for the Elks, which makes some $$ off this, plus the "donations" at the door go to good causes - this year to Autism Speaks), I'm sure they're going to be held for many years to come, until we're all in our wheelchairs. And it's always the last Saturday of February. Would be cool to see you next year...

I must admit I did enjoy most of numbers post, despite my gripe. Melody was never my place, but it sounds like it was a special place for many here . Hope people have a good time at the party.

Take time to remember those that have passed (Bowie, Prince and on and on) that made the 80's the best time ever to be young and alive.

Take time to remember those that have passed (Bowie, Prince and on and on) that made the 80's the best time ever to be young and alive.

Woodstock era was the best time for Rock n Roll man ! Pass tha joint and don't take the brown acid.

A large portion of my weekend nights in the late 80s usually ended at the Roxy and Melody. Some great times and a great era of music. Hope you have a great time, looks like fun
My regular trek was Olde Queens to Roxy to Melody and maybe back to Olde Queens. Sometimes just skipped Roxy. For variety.. Old Bay and/or Court.

I remember seeing the band Leather Studded Diaphragm (great band name) at the Roxy. The drummer was Ethan Stein, who was a friend of Matt Pinfield's, and he ran Captain Video/Music in a Different Kitchen for several years before tragically passing away.

RU numbers, regarding your detractors, my father's favorite phrase was: "Illegitimi non carborundum"

I went to Melody several times when I was in college but was just never my scene. That being said It's awesome they have a reunion every year that's so well attended. Maybe one of these years I'll drag my old bones there (even though by the age restriction it sounds like I'll be a baby there - lol). Anyway hope all who go tonight have a great time!

My circuit in the 70s- mid 80s (moved back to NB during the 80s) was Pattis'- Showcase Lounge- Court Tavern

I worked at Magyar Bank across the street starting in '81 and my wife worked there starting in '82. In those early days me and a bunch of the young tellers would work Friday nights and walk across the street where the local Hungarian old men were still hanging out. They would bring food out and we would hang for happy hour. The locals would leave in disgust as the place would totally transform. It was magical how the place changed when the DJ's came in.

Across the street was a Cuban deli that was horrible. There was another on the same side as the Melody that got all the business. That place closed and the Roxey opened in its place. During the day it was hungarians and Cubans doing their business on that corner and at night it was a blast.

Great memories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT