ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

And if you don’t land one of Eichel, McDavid, Leon Kaprizov or Rantanen…the lineup sucks.

Hence, again, evidence that RIGHT NOW as your team is built…not great future. This isn’t hard
So what if the devs didn't land dougie, meier and toffoli? How are they looking right now? 2 years ago were you saying not a great future for them?

So what if the devs didn't land dougie, meier and toffoli? How are they looking right now? 2 years ago were you saying not a great future for them?

You asked me this before and I answered but I’ll answer again.

Looked pretty great without Meier and Toffolli for most of last year. So I’d say they’d still be a pretty dominant team.

You asked me this before and I answered but I’ll answer again.

Looked pretty great without Meier and Toffolli for most of last year. So I’d say they’d still be a pretty dominant team.
And dougie?

Because even with meier and dougie they got planted in the playoffs. 8 of 12 games 2 goals or less and absolutely outclassed by a broken beaten down carolina team. And yes, they beat a rangers team that was playing street hockey because they didnt have a coach

And dougie?

Because even with meier and dougie they got planted in the playoffs. 8 of 12 games 2 goals or less and absolutely outclassed by a broken beaten down carolina team. And yes, they beat a rangers team that was playing street hockey because they didnt have a coach

Dougie was a huge addition. At the time we signed him, the defense was in shambles and NJ needed him.

I doubt you’ll see the devils signing big names like him anytime soon…..because again…….the future is bright

Dougie was a huge addition. At the time we signed him, the defense was in shambles and NJ needed him.

I doubt you’ll see the devils signing big names like him anytime soon…..because again…….the future is bright
But they just signed an $8.8 forward after him and also had to give up pretty decent assets for him on top of the $$$?

I also dont think the rangers will be signing any big names after they sign 2 as well 😉

But they just signed an $8.8 forward after him and also had to give up pretty decent assets for him on top of the $$$?

I also dont think the rangers will be signing any big names after they sign 2 as well 😉

The 8.8 forward wasn’t a FA. They extended him. He was under the devils control.

We’re obviously just going to go back and forth on this issue so let’s just agree to disagree.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
The devs top 2 wingers are trades, if you want to say bratt ahead of toffoli I can hear that one out but personally I take toffoli due to him being bigger and being a guy who shows up in the playoffs. One of which was effectively a ufa signing that also cost a couple pretty solid assets.

In 2-3 years when the rangers will need to sign ufa's as they'll have a ton of cap space with trouba, panarin coming off the books and kreider with only one year left and an easily moveable contract at that time.

- Kakko will be a 1st line RW (he is already imo just hasn't been given the opportunity, his numbers are off the charts when he was playing on the 1st line briefly last year).

- Chytil will remain a solid 2C, he does have 1C upside but he's just not durable enough and frankly fits better on the wing.

- Laff is ahead of where meier was 3 years post draft as well despite playing 3rd line minutes and barely any PP time.

It's just the rangers are destinations for top 10 players and if you have the cap space why wouldn't you sign 1-2 of leon, eichel, kaprizov, mcdavid, rantenen? And you're nuts to think these agents aren't WELL aware of the rangers roster constructions and what summers they'll have big $$$.

Like this is just a stupid lineup if you land one of eichel, mcdavid, leon and then one of kaprizov/rantanen.

Kaprizov-Leon/Eichel/McDavid-Kakko
Laff-Mika-Chytil (he fits better on the wing imo)
Othmann-Trocheck-Perrault
Cuylle-McConnell Barker-Sykora

Lindgren-Fox
Kandre-Schneider
Zac Jones- UFA

Igor

How is this team not a cup favorite? Future is really bright.
Not a cup favorite because it’s very wishful thinking for this to all work out in this manner and for everyone to be as good as you think in a few years.

The 8.8 forward wasn’t a FA. They extended him. He was under the devils control.

We’re obviously just going to go back and forth on this issue so let’s just agree to disagree.
He was worse than an FA. He was given an FA contract but first had to give up a haul of assets for him.

What would you prefer:

Not trade for timo and keep the assets and sign BOTH domi and bertuzzi this offseason to 1 year deals? And then reassess 7/1/2024 what you want to do?

OR

Trade a haul for a guy and then sign him for 8 X $8.8 when you couldve just signed him for free on 7/1/2024?

He was worse than an FA. He was given an FA contract but first had to give up a haul of assets for him.

What would you prefer:

Not trade for timo and keep the assets and sign BOTH domi and bertuzzi this offseason to 1 year deals? And then reassess 7/1/2024 what you want to do?

OR

Trade a haul for a guy and then sign him for 8 X $8.8 when you couldve just signed him for free on 7/1/2024?

Certainly Timo. When you have a stacked system in the minors you can afford such haul

Not a cup favorite because it’s very wishful thinking for this to all work out in this manner and for everyone to be as good as you think in a few years.
You think in 3 years from now the rangers wont have at least 1 of the 5 aforementioned on their roster? Theyll just roll with nearly $20mm in cap space?

You think in 3 years from now the rangers wont have at least 1 of the 5 aforementioned on their roster? Theyll just roll with nearly $20mm in cap space?
They will have to give raises to Miller, Igor, Schneider, Kaako, Laf too. I’d imagine at minimum one if not more of their post 30 year old big contract guys starts to show regression too. They are going to have to dump some guys on Arizona to get out from horrible contracts too.

They will have to give raises to Miller, Igor, Schneider, Kaako, Laf too. I’d imagine at minimum one if not more of their post 30 year old big contract guys starts to show regression too. They are going to have to dump some guys on Arizona to get out from horrible contracts too.
Yup, took all that into consideration. Apparently the cap is gonna be around 90-91.5mm for the 2024-2025 season. And by 2026-2027 approaching $100mm.

Im working under that assumption for 2026-2027. By then you do realize trouba and panarin are off the books right? Also kreider would only have 1 year left in a front loaded contract that will be easy to move.

I agree mika being 33 that season will a 2C and not a 1C, trocheck a very good albeit overpaid 3C at that time.

For the 2026-2027 season these are my projected cap hits
Laff- $6mm
Kakko- $6mm
Chytil- $4.4
Mika- $8.5
Trocheck- $5.6
Othmann- $2.75 (bridge)
Perrault- $1mm range (ELC)
Sykora- $1.35 (bridge)
Berard- $1.25 (bridge)
Cuylle- $1.5 (bridge)
(Thats around $38.5mm)

Fox- $9.5
Lindgren- $4.25
Kandre- $8
Schneider- $3
Jones- $1.5
UFA- $900K
7th dman - $900K

(Thats around $28mm)

Igor- $9
Backup $1.25

(Thats about $10mm)

Only two players above would be over 30! Futures young and bright

If we assume a $100mm cap for 2026-2027 that would leave about $24mm in cap space. Even if somehow its only $95mm, thats still $19mm in cap space and realistically if cap was tight chytil is an easily moveable contract if one of the 3 elite centers of leon, mcjesus or eichel wanted to come here.

The only prospect we gave up that is worth a damn was Muk, and he was on the bottom of our top 10 prospects, we didn't give up any of our blue chippers to get an elite power forward.

What would you prefer:

OR

Toronto in a nanosecond would take Timo at the contract that he signed over Bertuzzi and Domi on one year contracts, that's not even debatable, they were all in on Timo, but Devils beat them out for him.

But the worst part of your take here is the assumption that if the Devils didn't trade for Timo that he would have made it to 2024 as a UFA.

He was getting dealt, and if it wasn't the Leafs who grabbed him it probably would have been the Canes and he would have very likely reupped with them.

VERY slim chance the Devils would had a shot at him in 2024 and even he was there is no guarantee he would sign with them and top of THAT if he did sign with us it would not been near $8.8M, more like $9.5 and up.

Straight up, you‘re right. Even at that money, you also may be right - I believe NJD got a deal because I think with a full year next to Hughes, Timo will be top 5 in goals.

But from a team makeup perspective, Bertuzzi, or someone like him, would have helped this club immensely. After missing out last year, I suspect they will get that type of guy this TDL. That first and more kids will be gone come the spring.

Hamilton is a lousy defenseman, as in defense.

The only prospect we gave up that is worth a damn was Muk, and he was on the bottom of our top 10 prospects, we didn't give up any of our blue chippers to get an elite power forward.

Toronto in a nanosecond would take Timo at the contract that he signed over Bertuzzi and Domi on one year contracts, that's not even debatable, they were all in on Timo, but Devils beat them out for him.

But the worst part of your take here is the assumption that if the Devils didn't trade for Timo that he would have made it to 2024 as a UFA.

He was getting dealt, and if it wasn't the Leafs who grabbed him it probably would have been the Canes and he would have very likely reupped with them.

VERY slim chance the Devils would had a shot at him in 2024 and even he was there is no guarantee he would sign with them and top of THAT if he did sign with us it would not been near $8.8M, more like $9.5 and up.
You gave up a 1st rounder in the deepest draft in a while. I was really high on who the sharks selected there too in musty. Had Perrault not Been available wanted the rangers to take him.

The bolded really outlines you dont know what youre talking about haha. Toronto is trying to get away from the big contracts to the point theyr considering moving mitch

Good defensemen now, are defensemen that score.

Look at the Norris…it’s almost always the leading defensive scorer. Not saying it should be that way but it is.

Dougie is a top 10 defenseman in the league, cause he scores
And the defense is still more than fine he has a good stick and long reach, gets caught occasionally by a speedy winger but any team in the league wants him on their blueline

Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-11.40.35-AM.png

You gave up a 1st rounder in the deepest draft in a while. I was really high on who the sharks selected there too in musty. Had Perrault not Been available wanted the rangers to take him.

The bolded really outlines you dont know what youre talking about haha. Toronto is trying to get away from the big contracts to the point theyr considering moving mitch
That’s because their top 3 guys make an average of 3 million more per year than the Devils top guys. If the Leafs had an additional 9 mil, there’s your Meier contract.

That’s because their top 3 guys make an average of 3 million more per year than the Devils top guys. If the Leafs had an additional 9 mil, there’s your Meier contract.
If there wasnt a salary cap then sure lol. But are you genuinely trying to argue that timo by himself is more valuable to a team than both bertuzzi and domi? Lol. Tbh, the devs could use bertuzzi more and would save about $4mm a year as well to lock up a deeper lineup.

The devs are pretty soft bertuzzi would bring an element they lack. If you added bertuzzi + domi and removed timo the devs are a much better more well rounded team

If there wasnt a salary cap then sure lol. But are you genuinely trying to argue that timo by himself is more valuable to a team than both bertuzzi and domi? Lol. Tbh, the devs could use bertuzzi more and would save about $4mm a year as well to lock up a deeper lineup.

The devs are pretty soft bertuzzi would bring an element they lack. If you added bertuzzi + domi and removed timo the devs are a much better more well rounded team
The Devils also beat the “physical” Rangers team anyway. They need a reliable goalie, everything else was more or less fine last year. Bertuzzi scored 8 goals last year, he’s basically overpaid Miles Wood.

The same draft that the Rangers gave up a 2nd and 4th for an over the hill 34-year old with a bad hip and a 1st for another aging forward? That draft? Because I don't recall you saying boo about giving up picks in that draft when the Rangers made those trades. Funny.

And if the Leafs traded Marner, they would have room to sign Timo.

Last edited:

The Devils could turn into the Broad Street Bullies of the 1970s and you would still be calling them soft 😆

The Devils also beat the “physical” Rangers team anyway. They need a reliable goalie, everything else was more or less fine last year. Bertuzzi scored 8 goals last year, he’s basically overpaid Miles Wood.
Rangers werent physical. They were a team with no structure skating around playing street hockey.

The same draft that the Rangers gave up a 2nd and 4th for an over the hill 34-year old with a bad hip and a 1st for another aging forward? That draft? Because I don't recall you saying boo about giving up picks in that draft when the Rangers made those trades. Funny.

And if the Leafs traded Marner, they would have room to sign Timo.
The rangers were going for it so like most teams going for it you trade a 1st at tdl. Also rangers had two 1st’s which made it easier to part with one

The Devils could turn into the Broad Street Bullies of the 1970s and you would still be calling them soft 😆
They are super soft man haha. Im not splitting the atom with that statement. Theyre intentionally built to be small and quick. Not a bug but rather a feature

The rangers were going for it so like most teams going for it you trade a 1st at tdl. Also rangers had two 1st’s which made it easier to part with one
And the Devils have one of the youngest teams in the league along with one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, so parting with a #1 was tons easier than it was for the aging Rangers to part with theirs.

On top of that we traded it away for a player who will be a force for the team for the next 8 years, the Rangers wasted theirs away for three playoff wins.

Reactions: mikemarc1
They are super soft man haha. Im not splitting the atom with that statement. Theyre intentionally built to be small and quick. Not a bug but rather a feature
You don't follow hockey very well it seems, adding Timo and Toffoli took care of any concerns about being a soft team.

You don't follow hockey very well it seems, adding Timo and Toffoli took care of any concerns about being a soft team.
Nah follow it closely. Timo can hit and get in on the forecheck but has glue in his gloves when asked the dance. Ill say he can be physical hitting wise though.

However, toffoli? Physical/tough isnt a word that comes to mind when you think about tyler toffoli. He was last of all forwards on the flames in hits per game. Hes a soft player who is a pretty good finisher though.

Nah follow it closely. Timo can hit and get in on the forecheck but has glue in his gloves when asked the dance. Ill say he can be physical hitting wise though.

However, toffoli? Physical/tough isnt a word that comes to mind when you think about tyler toffoli. He was last of all forwards on the flames in hits per game. Hes a soft player who is a pretty good finisher though.
Right:

And not surprising you don't think Toffoli isn't physical or tough. Good God man.

Right:

And not surprising you don't think Toffoli isn't physical or tough. Good God man.
Wait you think toffoli is physical/tough? Lol. That makes you and only you. Do you even know who he is or what his game is like? LOL.

And dont try to act like timo is tough lol. He gets rag dolled around. He is physical on the forecheck though and a pretty good hitter.

And heres trouba rag dolling him with mini pushes haha

Theres a reason meier doesnt fight, he cant haha.

Wait you think toffoli is physical/tough? Lol. That makes you and only you. Do you even know who he is or what his game is like? LOL.

And dont try to act like timo is tough lol. He gets rag dolled around. He is physical on the forecheck though and a pretty good hitter.

And heres trouba rag dolling him with mini pushes haha

Theres a reason meier doesnt fight, he cant haha.
And that's all we need. I don't know if you noticed but it's not the 1980s anymore, fighting doesn't win games no more.

Hahaha who cares if Meier doesn't fight? You don't pay someone 8 million a year to sit in the penalty box, and regardless of what some of you neanderthals think, fighting doesn't actually help you win anyway.

Hahaha who cares if Meier doesn't fight? You don't pay someone 8 million a year to sit in the penalty box, and regardless of what some of you neanderthals think, fighting doesn't actually help you win anyway.
I agree who cares if he fights. It was just very weird for @Ronnie_B to say hes a tough guy and that toffoli is a physical/tough player. I question if he even knows who toffoli is after a statement like that where he even goes as far to say “good god” haha.

However, there is still a need for tough players on teams. No one has any concern running the devs players because theres zero deterrent and with how tiny the devs forwards are and especially injury prone like jack, I think itd be a good thing for them if they had a guy who could drop the gloves. Their toughest player is probably mike mcleod now? And he got pumped by a 21 year old on the rangers

• Haha
Imagine thinking Timo and Toffoli are not tough SOBs to play against. 😆

What a way to say you don't understand the sport without saying it lol.

I agree who cares if he fights. It was just very weird for @Ronnie_B to say hes a tough guy and that toffoli is a physical/tough player. I question if he even knows who toffoli is after a statement like that where he even goes as far to say “good god” haha.

However, there is still a need for tough players on teams. No one has any concern running the devs players because theres zero deterrent and with how tiny the devs forwards are and especially injury prone like jack, I think itd be a good thing for them if they had a guy who could drop the gloves. Their toughest player is probably mike mcleod now? And he got pumped by a 21 year old on the rangers
This notion that rostering fighters somehow scares the opponents away from hitting your star players is a straight up myth. Do you actually think that the big hitters are going to shy away from hitting someone because they might be challenged to a fight? Do you think Trouba is afraid to throw his hits against teams that have fighters? The fighter isn't going to be on the same line as the star players anyway, so if there's going to be retribution for a big hit, it's most likely going to be later on, and nobody that sees an opportunity to throw a big hit is going to think about some guy on the bench trying to get revenge later in the game. Also in these days of the instigator penalty, you can't just start throwing punches on an unwilling opponent without hurting your own team. This idea of fighters protecting the stars is a very outdated concept.

And the defense is still more than fine he has a good stick and long reach, gets caught occasionally by a speedy winger but any team in the league wants him on their blueline

Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-11.40.35-AM.png
Hamilton stinks on defense. Slow & very soft. And because he thinks he's a forward & is generally in the O zone, he's out of position a ton & gets beat & gives up odd man rushes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT