ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Nut, you do sound kinda whiny. But then so does John Harper, and he gets paid for it. So, all good.

I have no clue about Stearns' standards and expectations for this team. I do know that the part about zero accountability is untrue. At least that's what Joey Wendle told me, and he should know.

Luzardo is who he thought he was - a solid MLB pitcher having a bad year, but capable of spinning a gem at any time. Last night was that time. John Harper knows that. But whining sells better, I guess.
Are we allowed to say something negative about the butt trumpet worthy performance of Diaz? That's 3 in a row.

Simply can’t be the closer anymore. He’s awful. Team is just an absolute disaster. It’s laughable

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Simply can’t be the closer anymore. He’s awful. Team is just an absolute disaster. It’s laughable
I am wondering if his knee isn't right. Or if he isn't confident about his knee. Maybe that's why he's reluctant to throw the fastball?

I'm just spitballing here, which is a pitch maybe Diaz should try.

Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

Fwiw I thought Mendoza should have brought Lopez in.

Never like stoppers pitching in a non save situation.

Regardless Diaz is a mess and seems like the headcase issues that beleaguered him at the beginning of his Mets career have resurfaced.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ

This guy gets it. Problem is, Stearns can't unravel it and rebuild. Not unless Cohen is willing to eat a shit-ton of salary, which I don't think he is.
Exactly. The time to dismantle the team was when these guys were still in pre-free agency. Now the only way to dismantle is to pay someone to take these guys away.

In the article, Stearns states that his first milepost to assess the team is the 45 game mark. Not five. Not eighteen. Forty-five.

To quote: “Getting to that point (45 games) and doing a check-in on where you are as a team in the various elements of your roster is probably a healthy thing to do. Clearly, avoiding impulsive and reactionary decisions generally proves beneficial.”

In fairness, he meant for him. He didn't mean for us.
OK we are now at the 45 game mark, which Stearns has said is his initial roster checkpoint.

He looks at this team and what does he see? He sees an aging, unathletic group which is not built for the modern game, and which lacks the young starting pitching that is at the core of any rebuild. What he does NOT see is a David Stearns team.

So, what to do? Problem is, most of his decisions have already been made for him by his predecessors - in the form of six contracts, totalling over $125M in 2025, that he LITERALLY CANNOT GIVE AWAY. If he put these players on waivers today, they would certainly go unclaimed. He may eventually ask Cohen to eat salary dollars, but certainly not yet.

So, what decisions are his to make? TBH, not many. Here goes:

1) Does he make a strong bid to re-sign Pete Alonso? All signs point to no.

2) Buyers or sellers at the deadline? Too soon to tell of course. But don't expect a repeat of the prospect haul that Scherzer and Verlander brought in last year.

3) Any prospects to bring up to infuse a bolt of energy? Maybe Acuna at some point. Too bad Williams and Gilbert are injured.

So, I think these first 45 games have confirmed what Stearns probably already believed - that this is going to take a while.

Last edited:
Lindor now batting .177 with .235 obp, and a .574 ops in May. The hopes of him heating up as the season progresses have not materialized. Going the wrong way actually.

.190 BA on the season. .265 obp. .617 ops. These numbers are a disaster.

Will he heat up eventually? Almost certainly, you literally can't be this bad over an entire season, but on a team full of under performers, he is culprit #1 at this point.

Wasn't this what we expected coming into the season?

Allow the payroll to run off in a terrible season, and then Cohen goes on a spending spree afterwards...

Allow the payroll to run off in a terrible season, and then Cohen goes on a spending spree afterwards...
You are still stuck with some terrible contracts based on poor performances like Nimmo and Lindor.

It was made clear the Mets wasn't going to be a playoff team this year, but we were told it would a competitive team. I can accept that, but what this team has shown isn't remotely close to being competitive. The further we get from 2022, the more it seems that season was a fluke.

If Manaea exercises his second year option, and if Verlander's option vests, Mets are on the hook for almost $160M next year. For seven players who in aggregate aren't all that good.

There was definitely a shift, to some extent, from so many big free agent signings to focusing more on building the system. The goal, I think, is to create a foundation that allows for both. But you need a strong and talented system regardless of your approach to free agents. Most important, though, is that the Mets brought in a highly successful President of Baseball Operations (Stearns), after GMs in Cohen's first few years who had mixed-bag histories and results (and whom Cohen clearly wasn't satisfied with even when he hired them because he continued to hold the POBO position open). So it's just not clear yet what will happen at the trade deadline or next off season. From my point of view, I don't care. I'm willing to let Stearns do his thing and feel comfortable as hell that Cohen will spend if he believes that it will benefit the long-term health of the Mets.

2019 Diaz says hello…and reminds us that he’s 5 years older now with a major injury under his belt.

You are still stuck with some terrible contracts based on poor performances like Nimmo and Lindor.

It was made clear the Mets wasn't going to be a playoff team this year, but we were told it would a competitive team. I can accept that, but what this team has shown isn't remotely close to being competitive. The further we get from 2022, the more it seems that season was a fluke.
Thing is, Nimmo and Lindor are both typically much better then this. Yes Lindor has some slow starts to his record, but not this bad, and never has he looked this bad over an entire season. So what we are seeing now is outlier stuff from them. Not 2022.

Question imo is why are so many players under performing thus far? Is it a philosophy shift towards being more aggressive? Is it simply contagious non hitting?

2 way prospect Nolan McLean has been promoted to AA.
Never heard of him so I checked him stats out and have no clue why a two-way player, he hit only .270 in college and so far just .200 in his pro career, including .219 before he got promoted.

His pitcher numbers however are solid. A lot of promise, unlike his bat.

Never heard of him so I checked him stats out and have no clue why a two-way player, he hit only .270 in college and so far just .200 in his pro career, including .219 before he got promoted.

His pitcher numbers however are solid. A lot of promise, unlike his bat.
I leave minor league reports during the week and have touched on him a few times if you go back to read. Huge power bat but not a great hitter. His ultimate path to the majors is on the mound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT