ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2025 Belmont Stakes to be run at Saratoga.

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
There is a major project coming up at Belmont Park starting the day after next year's Belmont Stakes. The Big Sandy will no longer be big. The 1.25 million square foot grandstand is coming down. And replaced by just 275,000 square feet. It's sad but I get it. Maintaining a building that big for one day is stupid. I'll get up there this summer/fall and say goodbye and take a ton of pictures. It's such an impressive structure. The surfaces will be completely replaced so they need a place for 2025. I'll be going to Saratoga for this historic event. Just got off the phone with a friend that lives there and we are putting the band back together with 2 other Monmouth Park gang of mine.
On Monday the NYRA recommended that they run in Saratoga that day. Today people in the know have been told to plan for it.

Reactions: Plum Street
Saratoga has to plan for it. They could get overwhelmed.
No they won't. They will be setting up like they do for the Travers. The Belmont gets huge crowds because it is in NYC and accessible by subway or bus.
The backstretch will be empty compared to a normal Saratoga summer.

No they won't. They will be setting up like they do for the Travers. The Belmont gets huge crowds because it is in NYC and accessible by subway or bus.
The backstretch will be empty compared to a normal Saratoga summer.
If they could move the Belmont back a week in 2025, that would be great so everyone can take advantage of the Juneteenth long holiday weekend !

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Is it definite? I though it would only be if the Belmont facility is not ready in time.

If it is run at Saratoga, it will be epic. Hopefully the other stakes races run that weekend will also be done at Saratoga (i.e., Met Mile, Manhattan, Woody Stephens, Acorn, etc). It is probably my favorite card of the year other than the BC. Maybe do an abbreviated meet over two back-to-back weekends (6-7 racing cards) to make it worth the barns/local communities effort. Would be spectacular.

I live near Belmont Park and went to the Belmont Stakes last weekend and in 2022 because the weather was nice, I was looking for something to do outside with the kids, and I appreciate the novelty of big sporting events even though I have no interest in horse racing.

My kids enjoyed 3 early races but couldn't stand the smoking and drinking. Not really a sport for kids.

Last year, I bet $20 on the big race and won $50. I left early so returned the next day to get my $70, which was $60 after $5 parking fee and another $5 to enter. Spent an hour walking around the stand. An incredible building.

I have a few questions. Why does it take 40 minutes or so between Belmont Stakes races? Why do the back stretch workers live in such atrocious housing conditions on the site? I read new housing is going to be built. That will be a 9-figure expenditure. Why not pay the workers in way that allows them to afford off-site housing?

Let us see if the New York Racing Association pays back the state on the hundreds of millions the state is lending the horse people.

I live near Belmont Park and went to the Belmont Stakes last weekend and in 2022 because the weather was nice, I was looking for something to do outside with the kids, and I appreciate the novelty of big sporting events even though I have no interest in horse racing.

My kids enjoyed 3 early races but couldn't stand the smoking and drinking. Not really a sport for kids.

Last year, I bet $20 on the big race and won $50. I left early so returned the next day to get my $70, which was $60 after $5 parking fee and another $5 to enter. Spent an hour walking around the stand. An incredible building.

I have a few questions. Why does it take 40 minutes or so between Belmont Stakes races? Why do the back stretch workers live in such atrocious housing conditions on the site? I read new housing is going to be built. That will be a 9-figure expenditure. Why not pay the workers in way that allows them to afford off-site housing?

Let us see if the New York Racing Association pays back the state on the hundreds of millions the state is lending the horse people.
It takes 20/25 minutes to clear/water/rake the track at most venues to get it ready for the next race but Belmont is a 1/2 mile bigger than most tracks so it takes longer. Horses at all tracks have to wait in the barn area until the horses return from the last race before they can be walked over to the paddock. It just takes time. I love the pace of the day at a great race track. It's not an event that I go alone. It's with friends and family, it's a social gathering sport.
Derby, Belmont, Preakness, Breeders Cup are not family days. Hard core gamblers, the post college crowd and diehard horse fans dominate those event. But before the wrecking ball arrives next year take your kids back and walk the entire building and property on a normal weekend day. It's a majestic building. More beautiful than Churchill. Monmouth Park is a very family friendly racetrack but don't come up to me an complain that I'm smoking a cigar outside. You might get punched in the nose 🤣🤣 Remember you're bringing your kids to a fun place that adults flock too as well.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Why do the back stretch workers live in such atrocious housing conditions on the site? I read new housing is going to be built. That will be a 9-figure expenditure. Why not pay the workers in way that allows them to afford off-site housing?

A lot to unpack.

Atrocious housing conditions? NYRA has already built two new dormitories in recent years. It’s free to live there.

Backstretch workers are employed by the trainers, not NYRA. Some pay better than others. I know of one who provides free medical coverage to all of his workers. At entry level hotwalkersaren’t going to get paid much and affording an apartment would be tough. As it is for unskilled workers everywhere. Employees higher up can afford apartments offtrack.

Many backstretch workers move from track to track following the racing seasons. It’s easier for some to live ontrack rather than finding apartments for short durations, even if they can afford to. Also the workday starts early and can end late (with time off in between) so some workers find it more convenient to live on-track.

It’s not luxury housing on-track. But it’s not slum living either. Rich Migliore lives on the backstretch when he is on broadcasting duty.

I was a kid at Belmont to see Secretariat win.
Because of that I watch the TC races but otherwise I don't go to races or bet
I've read they want a synthetic track at Belmont (the dirt track is supposed to remain along with it) because some think it safer for the horses (early adoptions in CA proved otherwise).
I don't lose sleep over the horses but if they keep dying the way they have been I could see problems for racing.
They took the circus out
I don't know what poor breeding practices might be involved.
I've seen in person what PEDs do to humans for injuries, and it wouldn't surprise me if horses are having issues.

I was a kid at Belmont to see Secretariat win.
Because of that I watch the TC races but otherwise I don't go to races or bet
I've read they want a synthetic track at Belmont (the dirt track is supposed to remain along with it) because some think it safer for the horses (early adoptions in CA proved otherwise).
I don't lose sleep over the horses but if they keep dying the way they have been I could see problems for racing.
They took the circus out
I don't know what poor breeding practices might be involved.
I've seen in person what PEDs do to humans for injuries, and it wouldn't surprise me if horses are having issues.
The synthetic track is intended to be used for winter and spring racing. Aqueduct will be shuttered and the winter and spring meets moved to Belmont. You can’t use a summer dirt track for winter racing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT