ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alternative Energy

Hey moderator -- moderate yourself!

VO2DJHN.gif

When I lived in NJ (recently moved to CO) I put in a 13.5KW system back in 2009. I believe I crossed over the payback period somewhere in year 8 or 9. I took a peek at what the program is out here in CO when we purchased our house and the payback sucks - no SRECs out here - which is how you make your money back in NJ in a reasonable time frame.

With regard to solar farms, just incredibly dumb for green farmland and such to host solar arrays. Way too much roof top space available to allow for ground based systems pretty much anywhere. I believe this is the unintended consequence of removing almost all authority from local government (read: local building code and enforcement) when the state passed legislation for solar funding and install way back when. The intention was to prevent every town - and your neighbor - from putting up road blocks to solar install. Permitting was super simple, just have to be up to the electrical code - that was it.

How you liking CO?

I remember you asking about it here a while back.

The problem with the well intentioned use of alternate sources like solar and wind, is that they are not meant to replace fossil fuels (or as of now, cannot).

The idea of a carbon neutral world is nice and something to strive for, but we are decades from achieving that in a way that does not ruin economies and takes people outside their tolerance levels.

Japan got spooked by Fukushima and wasted a real opportunity to get it right. Had they not been stupid enough to place generators at sea level instead of uphill from the reactors, you would have never heard of Fukushima-Daiche…period.

China has said that they will not do anything carbon related if it interferes with their economic growth - translation: since they are responsible for 1/3 of the planets carbon emissions, the whole idea of mitigation is a joke; therefore what people need to focus on is adaptation while slowly dialing down carbon and switching. If you take this approach, the logical conclusion to be drawn is: do not do away with fossil fuels entirely until you’re able to supply the balance and until storage becomes more reliable (to account for cloudy periods and not enough wind).

Unfortunately, switching off fossil fuels is a neat virtue signal, but when demand is not met, prices spike or you’re at the mercy of some less than reliable supplier, **** hits the ol fan and people act surprised. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The problem with the well intentioned use of alternate sources like solar and wind, is that they are not meant to replace fossil fuels (or as of now, cannot).

The idea of a carbon neutral world is nice and something to strive for, but we are decades from achieving that in a way that does not ruin economies and takes people outside their tolerance levels.

Japan got spooked by Fukushima and wasted a real opportunity to get it right. Had they not been stupid enough to place generators at sea level instead of uphill from the reactors, you would have never heard of Fukushima-Daiche…period.

China has said that they will not do anything carbon related if it interferes with their economic growth - translation: since they are responsible for 1/3 of the planets carbon emissions, the whole idea of mitigation is a joke; therefore what people need to focus on is adaptation while slowly dialing down carbon and switching. If you take this approach, the logical conclusion to be drawn is: do not do away with fossil fuels entirely until you’re able to supply the balance and until storage becomes more reliable (to account for cloudy periods and not enough wind).

Unfortunately, switching off fossil fuels is a neat virtue signal, but when demand is not met, prices spike or you’re at the mercy of some less than reliable supplier, **** hits the ol fan and people act surprised. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Options are nice.

It would be a nice if the “grid” could be like a hybrid car and be able to use different forms of energy as needed.

A tiny special interest group that donates money to certain pols is not the majority or close to a majority. And as someone with gov experience, I am the first to recognize this. This is the real world. The vast majority of people don't give a sh!t about any issues to get involved. Special interests and donations rule the day, not common sense.

#stupidgovernment
The polling data shows that the public is split almost evenly. It is hard to make things happen in the face of that kind of public opinion. It is even harder because the benefit of nuclear plants is general, while the "disbenefits" of such plants are borne by locals whose feelings are very intense and in politics an intense group wins. Over and out. https://news.gallup.com/poll/248048/years-three-mile-island-americans-split-nuclear-power.aspx

Reactions: ChasRC69
Long term, not the immediate future, Keystone would negatively impact Nordstream. Russia is basically a gas station more than a diversified economic entity. Competition is damaging.
But the Keystone pipeline would not carry natural gas. In fact, Canada converted natural gas pipelines to oil pipelines as part of their portion of the project. So I'm not understanding how Keystone would bring about competition that would injure Russia. Moreover, the long term inherently takes a long time to happen and political leaders tend to discount long term considerations.

The "stupid government" reflects what the public wants and doesn't want. If anyone is "stupid," it's the public. In a representative democracy, it's not possible to force on people what a majority (or close to a majority) doesn't want. I believe you have been involved in government, so you should be the first to recognize that.
Not even close to being the truth.

The polling data shows that the public is split almost evenly. It is hard to make things happen in the face of that kind of public opinion. It is even harder because the benefit of nuclear plants is general, while the "disbenefits" of such plants are borne by locals whose feelings are very intense and in politics an intense group wins. Over and out. https://news.gallup.com/poll/248048/years-three-mile-island-americans-split-nuclear-power.aspx
LOL. Polls that people are forced to give an answer. Classic failing of the academic world. Real world polling is conducted very differently.

I'm a fan of nuclear power. The problem is location and the NIMBY effect. Zero chance T is pounding the table when theres a proposal to put a reactor in the adjacent town due west of him...

Reactions: fg7321
A tiny special interest group that donates money to certain pols is not the majority or close to a majority. And as someone with gov experience, I am the first to recognize this. This is the real world. The vast majority of people don't give a sh!t about any issues to get involved. Special interests and donations rule the day, not common sense.

#stupidgovernment
If you dont give a shit you should buy some property next to a nuke plant and build a home there then.

Reactions: Zimm80 and Kbee3
The "stupid government" reflects what the public wants and doesn't want. If anyone is "stupid," it's the public. In a representative democracy, it's not possible to force on people what a majority (or close to a majority) doesn't want. I believe you have been involved in government, so you should be the first to recognize that.
Exactly. We have the government we deserve (not talking about the current admin, talking about ALL admins from both parties all the time).

This isn't political because I'm not talking about any particular party or politician. I'm not choosing sides here.

But I never understood people who constantly complain about the government. We citizens are the ones who put the government officials in power in the first place. And both sides exhibit the exact same problems (although partisan voters steadfastly refuse to believe that, which itself is a major cause of the problems in government).

People need to look in the mirror when they complain about government. We're the problem.

I'm a fan of nuclear power. The problem is location and the NIMBY effect. Zero chance T is pounding the table when theres a proposal to put a reactor in the adjacent town due west of him...
He would never do that. He would insist it is so important it should be built in Montgomery

He was so proud of keeping development down in his town. He loves it when pipelines and nuclear reactors are far far away from where he lives, not in my neighborhood.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
An excellent, lengthy article in the weekend WSJ on the electric grid, which obvious includes alternative energy. 2 quotes, one specifically deals with the early shutdown of Indian Point. Less than 5% of the article

"The pace of change, hastened by market forces and long term efforts to reduce carbon emissions, has raised concerns that power plants will retire more quickly than they can be replaced, creating a new strain on the grid at a time when other factors are converging to weaken it."

"NYISO said it's reserve margins are shrinking....increasing the risk of outages. A 98 degree, sustained heat wavecould result in shortfalls within NCAa soon as next year, a circumstance that would likely force NYISO to call for rolling blackouts for the first time ever."

He was so proud of keeping development down in his town. He loves it when pipelines and nuclear reactors are far far away from where he lives, not in my neighborhood.
Preserved about 1500 acres and blocked 3000 additional homes from being built! 😀

No need for new locations. NJ has 3 existing nuke sites. Just upgrade and expand.
I agree with that although I would fully support building one off the coast of Stone Harbor sometime after someone makes a home purchase

Reactions: Kbee3
An excellent, lengthy article in the weekend WSJ on the electric grid, which obvious includes alternative energy. 2 quotes, one specifically deals with the early shutdown of Indian Point. Less than 5% of the article

"The pace of change, hastened by market forces and long term efforts to reduce carbon emissions, has raised concerns that power plants will retire more quickly than they can be replaced, creating a new strain on the grid at a time when other factors are converging to weaken it."

"NYISO said it's reserve margins are shrinking....increasing the risk of outages. A 98 degree, sustained heat wavecould result in shortfalls within NCAa soon as next year, a circumstance that would likely force NYISO to call for rolling blackouts for the first time ever."

I grew-up near IP and saw a lot of stuff behind the headlines
I like nukies but IP was in a bad spot
However they shut it down too early
IP's last owner (Entergy) spent over 1.25 billion rehabbing it over 10 years
NYS and others cost them 200 million with lawfare
They also got a coal plant across the river knocked down the same way
Two more plants had been shut by Newburgh
As closed plants, there were promises about renewables taking-up the slack - never happened (as expected)
Fossil fuels were 69% of downstate electricity when IP was working - now its 77% and they are more expensive.
Homeowner bills are already 50% more this year in some Hudson areas, and IP closing is one of the reasons
Never believe pols and activists about energy plants

On the flip side, the plant was getting old (I knew contractors inside) and the workers there could be scary
One engineer killed his wife and kids and then himself (he stabbed himself in the genitals)
Co-workers were "relieved " he didn't do something at work
The guy was legit off his rocker despite employees being psychologically tested.
IP Guards had a scandal in NYT due to doing drugs and sleeping on the job.
Al Qaeda thought about targeting IP but felt situation would "get out of control"
An AQ member was busted working at nukes in NE.

So I wish the plant was still there working but ready to close AFTER new sources were in place
The pols currently say things like "There are 100 new energy projects underway and 10 are almost ready"

I grew-up near IP and saw a lot of stuff behind the headlines
I like nukies but IP was in a bad spot
However they shut it down too early
IP's last owner (Entergy) spent over 1.25 billion rehabbing it over 10 years
NYS and others cost them 200 million with lawfare
They also got a coal plant across the river knocked down the same way
Two more plants had been shut by Newburgh
As closed plants, there were promises about renewables taking-up the slack - never happened (as expected)
Fossil fuels were 69% of downstate electricity when IP was working - now its 77% and they are more expensive.
Homeowner bills are already 50% more this year in some Hudson areas, and IP closing is one of the reasons
Never believe pols and activists about energy plants

On the flip side, the plant was getting old (I knew contractors inside) and the workers there could be scary
One engineer killed his wife and kids and then himself (he stabbed himself in the genitals)
Co-workers were "relieved " he didn't do something at work
The guy was legit off his rocker despite employees being psychologically tested.
IP Guards had a scandal in NYT due to doing drugs and sleeping on the job.
Al Qaeda thought about targeting IP but felt situation would "get out of control"
An AQ member was busted working at nukes in NE.

So I wish the plant was still there working but ready to close AFTER new sources were in place
The pols currently say things like "There are 100 new energy projects underway and 10 are almost ready"

There is another long article about the proposed Quebec hydro line to replace it, now 13 years a work in progress and nowhere near completion. The obstacles, regulatory, environmental and political make it nearly impossible to see it happen for a long time if ever.

Reactions: ashokan
There is another long article about the proposed Quebec hydro line to replace it, now 13 years a work in progress and nowhere near completion. The obstacles, regulatory, environmental and political make it nearly impossible to see it happen for a long time if ever.
I figured that all along.

Even if they had the power from Canada it seems like just another US dependency on other countries (like 90% of antibiotics coming from China),

Its a violation of common sense for America's largest and most dynamic city (formerly anyway) to be dependent on juice from Quebec.

Last edited:
My neighbor

Years ago

They are very happy

They bought it

Eventually they will be able to sell their own excess power back into the grid, bringing the TCO down further. I’m probably going to go solar, not in a rush, but I’ve been thinking backup generator as these storms are only going to keep getting worse. Had I lost power and the sump pumps during Ida I would have had 6 feet of storm water backup in my basement .

If there is something I agree with conservatives on, it’s deregulation. Kind of why I lament the loss of the GOP as a serious governing party. Nixon formed the EPA. Bush 1 started cap and trade.

I think we need to keep striving for new sources and I think Nuclear is our best option today because it is sustainable. Waste is an issue but we have waste with solar as well and it is not as sustainable. I’m into the research being done for other sources. It makes sense for the long term. However, I know a lot of people hanging shingles and making a lot of money while doing almost no real work to develop anything. So we need to do a better job spending the research money wisely. We do the same thing with military and defense research budgets.

Our country has one of the lowest carbon footprints in the world but that’s mainly because we outsource the work on solar, batteries, etc and the carbon footprint in say China is probably one of if not the worst in the world. Meanwhile we have done a great job cleaning up the existing processes used for our current resources. That effort should also continue.
Are you seriously comparing waste from solar to waste from nuclear??? People need to wake up and realize having tons of radioactive waste with no where to go is an extremely risky idea.

Reactions: Zimm80
Eventually they will be able to sell their own excess power back into the grid, bringing the TCO down further. I’m probably going to go solar, not in a rush, but I’ve been thinking backup generator as these storms are only going to keep getting worse. Had I lost power and the sump pumps during Ida I would have had 6 feet of storm water backup in my basement.
If you noticed earlier in the thread, I have both.

Solar, I own and the whole house is a Generac powered by natural gas.

For solar, with an app I can see how many kilowatts I am generating daily. Cloud day, not so much. But in in the winter even with the lower and shorter sun, on a bright day I do pretty good. I expect much higher daily results as the sun gets higher and the days get longer.

Generator went online in August, and it has only kicked on twice so far: once when they installed the solar and had to cut power and another time when a company doing tree work in the neighborhood took out a primary line for our area.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
If you noticed earlier in the thread, I have both.

Solar, I own and the whole house is a Generac powered by natural gas.

For solar, with an app I can see how many kilowatts I am generating daily. Cloud day, not so much. But in in the winter even with the lower and shorter sun, on a bright day I do pretty good. I expect much higher daily results as the sun gets higher and the days get longer.

Generator went online in August, and it has only kicked on twice so far: once when they installed the solar and had to cut power and another time with a company doing tree work in the neighborhood who took out a primary line for our area.
What was your cost for the solar

I keep considering it I just don’t want to deal with the sales portion of getting it

So just

I agree with this . Why can Rutgers have panels in multiple parking lots and towns and schools don't? Why was great adventure allowed to cut down forest instead of putting panels in their parking lots?

Good point. I’ve wondered how much heat is captured by our pavement and how much could be returned by changing the color of our streets - or by capturing via solar panels.

What was your cost for the solar

I keep considering it I just don’t want to deal with the sales portion of getting it
~$30K for a roof the size of an expanded cape cod. We have big mud room on one side (some panels are there) and an extension in the back. 26% federal tax break on the price for 2021, 2022. It starts to go lower every year after, 22% in 2023.

Our only real concern was leaks since with our cape we do not have an attic, so you don't know you have a leak until it's too late. So far so good in that dept.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom1944
I have a 2000 square foot colonial with an extended family room so similar size

Do you mind saying who you used to install

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT