ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone ever have a kitchen remodel done by Home Depot?

Different house actually. But very similar size and scope of work.

Labor to do all the work was about $35k. Labor to demo the old kitchen, gut down to the studs, re-insulate, install cabinets and counters, drywall, trimwork, refinish the wood floors on the whole first floor to match the wood that was underneath 5 layers of vinyl flooring. Took down a load-bearing wall and installed a new structural beam in the ceiling... architects cost extra to design, needed a new lolly column in the basement to support new structural load point. Install appliances. Also closed an old doorway from the stairwell.. so framework cost.

Materials:
Cabinets and counters $15k

Prime and paint. Did myself

Architect for wall removal work $800

Eighteen recessed lights plus electrician labor $4k

Permits. $653

Appliances cost $6k.

Sink and faucet and all cabinet hardware another $2k.

Plumber was $1,500. There was tomfoolery going on in the ceiling plumbing that needed to be brought up to code. Same with electric.

Tile was $500

Garbage removal $350

That's all I have from my notes, totals to roughly $65k. Thought it was closer to $85k... I had the contractors do some other stuff too that was not related to the kitchen that brought my total spend up.
I laughed out loud when I saw the $15k number.A competent contractor wouldn't even call you back given that budget.

Glad this was revived to show your actual spend. Your project grew out of the kitchen and pushed the amount up a bunch. Moving/removing walls is no joke and costs $.

Anybody who can't do things themselves expecting to pay less than $35-$45k for a complete medium sized kitchen Reno by a qualified contractor is in for a big disappointment.

Different house actually. But very similar size and scope of work.
Materials:
Appliances cost $6k.
Which brand, and is this for stove, oven, dishwasher, fridge and microwave? And have they been OK.

Crap, can't seem to get below @yesrutgers01 's quote below, so will put it here. IDK if I agree on that, but opinions will vary.

However, when we moved out of the la di frickin town of Rumson back to more middle class environs, we purchased a GE Profile appliance package. Seven years later- we have replaced the fridge fan motor twice (they are only $20 on Amazon), and it pisses me off on how cheap the motor is built, and after a few years, it sounds like a small plane is running in our fridge. It's easily replaceable, and not expensive, but for those less mechanically inclined, it can get expensive.

Now, more recently, the dishwasher crapped the bed. To boot, the dishwasher flooded and curled up the hardwood floor. Quote to replace/fix the hardwood floor is $4,000. I forget how much the GE profile dishwasher was, but we are replacing it with a $1200 Bosch model. Guess the double wall oven is up next. But hey, it has a clock in it. Remember when appliances would last for 15-20 years without breaking?

As the saying goes-often times, the cheapest way to go is first class.
laughing as I can't see 5k on appliances either. But...on the other hand- it can be done and you can be happy with them. But once you ever upgrade to the level of SubZero or similar or Viking/Wolf - you find it very hard to ever go back. Top of the line refrigerators will keep food for so much longer, it isnt even funny.

Which brand, and is this for stove, oven, dishwasher, fridge and microwave? And have they been OK.

Crap, can't seem to get below @yesrutgers01 's quote below, so will put it here. IDK if I agree on that, but opinions will vary.

However, when we moved out of the la di frickin town of Rumson back to more middle class environs, we purchased a GE Profile appliance package. Seven years later- we have replaced the fridge fan motor twice (they are only $20 on Amazon), and it pisses me off on how cheap the motor is built, and after a few years, it sounds like a small plane is running in our fridge. It's easily replaceable, and not expensive, but for those less mechanically inclined, it can get expensive.

Now, more recently, the dishwasher crapped the bed. To boot, the dishwasher flooded and curled up the hardwood floor. Quote to replace/fix the hardwood floor is $4,000. I forget how much the GE profile dishwasher was, but we are replacing it with a $1200 Bosch model. Guess the double wall oven is up next. But hey, it has a clock in it. Remember when appliances would last for 15-20 years without breaking?

I swear by Thermador. Just completed my second kitchen renovation using thermador appliances. Built to last and their oven/stovetop I think are the best. Brother who built out a kitchen last time I did reno in previous house 15+ years ago used Viking/sub zero. He had problem after problem with maintaining temp in range and motor in subzero seemed to fail every Christmas. He switched out to thermador after 7-8 years and hasn’t looked back. Luckily the subzero had such issues they refunded his money.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I swear by Thermador. Just completed my second kitchen renovation using thermador appliances. Built to last and their oven/stovetop I think are the best. Brother who built out a kitchen last time I did reno in previous house 15+ years ago used Viking/sub zero. He had problem after problem with maintaining temp in range and motor in subzero seemed to fail every Christmas. He switched out to thermador after 7-8 years and hasn’t looked back. Luckily the subzero had such issues they refunded his money.
Did you go Thermador all around? Stove, dishwasher, fridge and oven, and if so, how much? Our entire GE Profile package for Stovetop, double wall oven, microwave, and fridge was around $9K. I recently looked up reliability ratings for kitchen appliances, and GE Profile is still highly rated. For us, never again. Do you think we need to wait a few more years for those GE appliances to develop and the "schedule" is easier? 😂😏

I wasn't sure if you had agreed with me or not but it seems you do. That trying to go cheaper on big items like Ranges and refrigerators are not the way to go.
The Thermador is also in the price range of over $10k for a 36 inch duel fuel. Which is about what our Wolf, and prior to that Dacor(actually, the Dacor was quite a bit more and we had problems with it) - after 3 issues in 2 years, they gave us a 11k credit which we used on the Wolf and loved it.

And while I have heard of people with problems with their subzero- We had no problems in 12 years and the new owners of the house are had it for an additional 3 years with no problems.

We are renting a home now and they have the typical ok but not great appliances and you completely can tell the difference.

Reading these I feel like I got lucky. We did a total remodel 16 years ago and except for something wrong with one knob of our stovetop that we need to have fixed we‘ve have had no repairs at all, and our kitchen appliances get a lot of use.

Wolf stovetop, Thermador double oven, Maytag refrigerator and Bosch dishwasher.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I wasn't sure if you had agreed with me or not but it seems you do. That trying to go cheaper on big items like Ranges and refrigerators are not the way to go.
The Thermador is also in the price range of over $10k for a 36 inch duel fuel. Which is about what our Wolf, and prior to that Dacor(actually, the Dacor was quite a bit more and we had problems with it) - after 3 issues in 2 years, they gave us a 11k credit which we used on the Wolf and loved it.

And while I have heard of people with problems with their subzero- We had no problems in 12 years and the new owners of the house are had it for an additional 3 years with no problems.

We are renting a home now and they have the typical ok but not great appliances and you completely can tell the difference.
I don't remember the particulars, but IIRC, the SubZero fridge was north of $20K for the fridge. That was ridiculous. Other than the fan issue in the GE Profile fridge, we don't notice an appreciable difference. We went with the same brands in our vacation home, and we have had zero issues, but use the vacation home maybe 4-5 weeks per year.

Did you go Thermador all around? Stove, dishwasher, fridge and oven, and if so, how much? Our entire GE Profile package for Stovetop, double wall oven, microwave, and fridge was around $9K. I recently looked up reliability ratings for kitchen appliances, and GE Profile is still highly rated. For us, never again. Do you think we need to wait a few more years for those GE appliances to develop and the "schedule" is easier? 😂😏
I did. Was talked out of going to the professional level range from the salesman. Saved me 3k.

36’ 6 burner
Dishwasher
French door refrigerator
Hood range
External blower ( it’s a must) can move all the noise to basement or attic away from kitchen
Went with an xo beverage refrigerator. Hardware matched Thermador.

The more you buy the more they bundle.

A little over 11k
Similar Viking subzero would have been double the price.

Salesman said lead time is getting back to normal range. Outside of subzero refrigerators. Still 12-18 month lead time for many of their models. We ordered our appliances 9 months before we started the renovation heard there could be some supply chain issues and we were excited to get started. We contemplated changing design profile on range hood and salesman said that was the only thing that would have been an issue with lead time so we stayed with our initial choice.

I heard somewhere that the next 2 years are free!

• Haha
Knight shift is this the model you have?

😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Back to OC- in regard to HD...I am not sure I could find myself trusting them with something so important. I am having them assemble a damn Gas Grill- and they can't even do that right...

Reactions: rurichdog
Back to OC- in regard to HD...I am not sure I could find myself trusting them with something so important. I am having them assemble a damn Gas Grill- and they can't even do that right...
In my opinion and experience, the Home Depot assemblers and installers are typically guys who have trouble landing enough work on their own, because their work product sucks.

Last edited:
In my opinion and experience, the Home Depot assemblers and installers are typically guys who have trouble landing enough work on their own, because their work product sucks.
This times 1000.

Hire HD for your kitchen reno and you will get the low bid from a group of HD contractors who cannot succeed on their own as kitchen and bath remodelers. You may get lucky on your project but that’s not the way to bet. Meanwhile HD collects a hefty commission of the total installed cost from the buyer for selling the fixtures and being GC on the project.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT