ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone know anyone who has tested positive?

So are you saying the cdc is lying to you when they say those younger than 40 have very little risk of death in the grand scheme of things
I never said anything about the cdc. I'm responding to the still large numbers of people who are dismissing this as something that only affects the elderly or sick members of society. I see many people on facebook, twitter, forums expressing that viewpoint. Even public officials are often repeating it ("if you're young you'll just get a cold or mild flu and recover"). This leads to complacency, all these people who think it will be just a minor cold or flu go out to bars and other social functions potentially spreading the virus around. My point was that it will take a bunch of severe cases and/or deaths in their demographic group to get their attention, and I provided an example of that already happening right in the NJ community.

As for cdc and government in general, they have a vested interest in keeping the public calm so they hype the party line that this is mostly a risk for the elderly or sick people. My opinion is they should be focused more on making known the full scale of the problem. Look at Italy - hospital systems overwhelmed and now they're not even evaluating people over 80, they can't...too many patients. Not only does this lead to more deaths in the older population, it also makes general hospital care harder to get. So when you get that heart attack or stroke or other treatable condition you might be out of luck.

And BTW, reports in Italy are that younger people are increasingly showing up in critical condition. Thinking is that the virus takes out the most susceptible (old/sick) first. Younger/healthier people take longer to deteriorate but a fair number still wind up very sick. They might not die, but who wants to spend a week or two on a ventilator? That can leave you with serious long term health problems.

Oh, and I rarely look at what the cdc is saying anymore. Seems the best information is actually coming out of the state health departments. Tabulations of current cases can be found at various places on the web.

I never said anything about the cdc. I'm responding to the still large numbers of people who are dismissing this as something that only affects the elderly or sick members of society. I see many people on facebook, twitter, forums expressing that viewpoint. Even public officials are often repeating it ("if you're young you'll just get a cold or mild flu and recover"). This leads to complacency, all these people who think it will be just a minor cold or flu go out to bars and other social functions potentially spreading the virus around. My point was that it will take a bunch of severe cases and/or deaths in their demographic group to get their attention, and I provided an example of that already happening right in the NJ community.

As for cdc and government in general, they have a vested interest in keeping the public calm so they hype the party line that this is mostly a risk for the elderly or sick people. My opinion is they should be focused more on making known the full scale of the problem. Look at Italy - hospital systems overwhelmed and now they're not even evaluating people over 80, they can't...too many patients. Not only does this lead to more deaths in the older population, it also makes general hospital care harder to get. So when you get that heart attack or stroke or other treatable condition you might be out of luck.

And BTW, reports in Italy are that younger people are increasingly showing up in critical condition. Thinking is that the virus takes out the most susceptible (old/sick) first. Younger/healthier people take longer to deteriorate but a fair number still wind up very sick. They might not die, but who wants to spend a week or two on a ventilator? That can leave you with serious long term health problems.

Oh, and I rarely look at what the cdc is saying anymore. Seems the best information is actually coming out of the state health departments. Tabulations of current cases can be found at various places on the web.

Well said. I honestly don't understand why so many people have such a hard time comprehending the risks here.

Reactions: KevH and RutCorRx
Bac's true colors on full display throughout all of this.

This was my only post in this entire thread.....So are you saying the cdc is lying to you when they say those younger than 40 have very little risk of death in the grand scheme of things

what the **** are you talking about...where did i make a comment about downplaying this virus..where??

what I do want is FACTS posted here, you have been doing a great job with yours, some are coming here fear mongering. There are some posts here that are contradicting what actual stats say and what the cdc is saying about people under 50 and this virus vs older folk...are you saying they are blantantly lying to us because I quite do not understand your post above and your attack on me. In a time like this actual facts are important rather than generating hysteria. Because people are asking questions it does not mean they are downplaying anything, what we want is to seperate fact from speculation. Be better instead of trying to attack me for no reason ahole

This was my only post in this entire thread.....So are you saying the cdc is lying to you when they say those younger than 40 have very little risk of death in the grand scheme of things

what the **** are you talking about...where did i make a comment about downplaying this virus..where??

what I do want is FACTS posted here, you have been doing a great job with yours, some are coming here fear mongering. There are some posts here that are contradicting what actual stats say and what the cdc is saying about people under 50 and this virus vs older folk...are you saying they are blantantly lying to us because I quite do not understand your post above and your attack on me. In a time like this actual facts are important rather than generating hysteria. Because people are asking questions it does not mean they are downplaying anything, what we want is to seperate fact from speculation. Be better instead of trying to attack me for no reason ahole

Is this supposed to be a reply to my post (#82) where I directly answered the question you posed to me? If not, I'd be interested to hear your response.

Large family in Manalapan 53 year old man in hospital and his sister died Thursday. He was exposed from Yonkers Raceway.. Family is scatted across Manalapan Freehold and Jackson. . I think I saw 26 children.

Large family in Manalapan 53 year old man in hospital and his sister died Thursday. He was exposed from Yonkers Raceway.. Family is scatted across Manalapan Freehold and Jackson. . I think I saw 26 children.

these are the Fuscos, big harness racing family, saw this on another site yesterday

actually this is the post from other site...apprently they had family from Italy come visit recently...may not be linked to Yonkers case

It was his Aunt and carmine and vinnies other sister of which they had 3 . They had family over 10 days ago from
Italy and one of them was sick worn the virus and passed it on among the family . There case has nothing to do with John Brennan .

With many irrational actors out there, it wouldn't be surprising to hear about folks starting to avoid interacting with Italian Americans due to possible contact by their relatives from the old country. Just as illogical as running the other away from Chinese Americans or avoiding Chinese food. Xenophobia at its finest.

FYI, I just finished a dish of chicken chow main while playing Chinese checkers wearing Chinese handcuffs so there......

With many irrational actors out there, it wouldn't be surprising to hear about folks starting to avoid interacting with Italian Americans due to possible contact by their relatives from the old country. Just as illogical as running the other away from Chinese Americans or avoiding Chinese food. Xenophobia at its finest.

its not illogical, take the case of the Fusco family, they just had family from Italy visit them and now many family members who live here infected....yeah some will be at higher risk, thats the whole point of banning travel. Its not saying that all Italians and Asian have something. You could worry about xenophobia but yeah I would recommend avoiding Chinatown and Little Italy for example

by the same token regardless of nationality if I knew people or families that have travelled recently overseas I would be avoiding them as well.

its part of social distancing....I would also avoid old people too...because they could be sick or you could be making them sick

Last edited:
Reactions: Pancho1939
actually this is the post from other site...apprently they had family from Italy come visit recently...may not be linked to Yonkers case

It was his Aunt and carmine and vinnies other sister of which they had 3 . They had family over 10 days ago from
Italy and one of them was sick worn the virus and passed it on among the family . There case has nothing to do with John Brennan .

Bac where was it posted already?

on the horseplop racing forum...sometimes they are a bit crude there, not a board for the fanit of heart and make stuff up but there is a thread there on the fuscos

I thought this thread was asking if any of US knew anyone else, PERSONALLY, who has been infected?

Can we get back to that?

(still no btw)

I live in Teaneck and they basically shut the place down. 18 of the 31 cases in Bergen County are in Teaneck.

I know someone who has been tested (results are not back yet). She is sick and worked with someone at a daycare who tested positive.

Canal Walk, Somerset 1 confirmed case, e-mail, and phone call from top management a few moments ago. Don't know if this has been posted, but stock up on cat food/litter as well. Can't get an order of food delivery on PeaPod until 3/26 now.

I am completely surprised by the amounts of people who want all out panic... the facts are that people under 50 with no underlying medical conditions have a basically 0.1% chance of dying(that doesn’t mean not effected)... those are the facts and the truth. In Italy, China, France and US. All true... apparently everyone only wants the bad facts to be told. If you are 50+ or have medical conditions stay away. If you live or interact regularly with these types of people stay away... if you are not smart enough to know this by now then God help you and the people you know.

It is imperative that the president and everyone else keeps people calm, without calm we have a mass panic that ends in people killing people and looting in grocery stores not just arguing. Everyone says we are xenophobic which is absolutely the dumbest thing in the world but just wait until their is mass panic and the lesser educated people start fighting with those who look like they are from affected cultures. We need leadership not panic....

It is very similar to a basketball game. Take northwestern for example. If pikiell were to panic like many of us watching they would have lost... no! you stay positive, remain calm, work the problem, continue to stay the course....

everything we are doing as a country is about as much that we can do other than shutting down all transportation and quarantining the entire country(which may come). We are controlling what we can control. That’s all we can ask for.

I dislike Cuomo very much but I think he has handle this situation as best as anyone could.

Last edited:
unfortunately, I do know someone that tested positive. Is under 50 and no underlying condition, but is in the hospital.

I am completely surprised by the amounts of people who want all out panic... the facts are that people under 50 with no underlying medical conditions have a basically 0.1% chance of dying(that doesn’t mean not effected)... those are the facts and the truth. In Italy, China, France and US. All true... apparently everyone only wants the bad facts to be told. If you are 50+ or have medical conditions stay away. If you live or interact regularly with these types of people stay away... if you are not smart enough to know this by now then God help you and the people you know.

It is imperative that the president and everyone else keeps people calm, without calm we have a mass panic that ends in people killing people and looting in grocery stores not just arguing. Everyone says we are xenophobic which is absolutely the dumbest thing in the world but just wait until their is mass panic and the lesser educated people start fighting with those who look like they are from affected cultures. We need leadership not panic....

It is very similar to a basketball game. Take northwestern for example. If pikiell were to panic like many of us watching they would have lost... no! you stay positive, remain calm, work the problem, continue to stay the course....

everything we are doing as a country is about as much that we can do other than shutting down all transportation and quarantining the entire country(which may come). We are controlling what we can control. That’s all we can ask for.

I dislike Cuomo very much but I think he has handle this situation as best as anyone could.
The US is most likely headed for the same point as Italy. Hospitals will get overwhelmed and older patients will be a lower priority (increasing the death rate). Flattening the curve is our only chance of avoiding that but it seems unlikely given the slow response from our government.

The US is most likely headed for the same point as Italy. Hospitals will get overwhelmed and older patients will be a lower priority (increasing the death rate). Flattening the curve is our only chance of avoiding that but it seems unlikely given the slow response from our government.

100%. i like how we are methodically doing it. Most people i know are already self quarantining. Like a frog in hot water. if you do it slowly the frog wont jump out. Cuomo has been ahead of this thing. i would assume in the next day or so we will see a complete shut down in the state except for emergency personal.....

Reactions: bac2therac
Is it too early to identify/guess the person passes it on to someone else he/she knows?

It's likely. He was at conference in Atlanta where it is likely that he got it.

People don't want to hear this, but his response when I asked about how bad it was, was, "it's the flu". Oddly though his family didn't get it, though only half of them were tested. Everyone is being responsible.

Obviously we are going to learn more about death and infection rates in the next week or so, but I think there is enough data out there to know that unless you are high risk meaning you have other ailments or are more senior, you are likely to recover quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if infection rates are much higher than originally thought, meaning people had it and got better and didn't know.

The real issue and challenge is trying to not pass it to others, which is why were are seeing cities like San Fran shut down and the limiting of gatherings of any real numbers.

Listening to the leadership today, these next 14 days are critical.

Thanks. So many unknowns. I wanted to start this thread just to get another data point. I wanted to know not what cases are reported but the actual cases in this sample size of people.

Wife and I got sick over the weekend. Me with cold-like symptoms, fatigue, runny nose and slight chills today that went away. Wife with cough and aches. Any other point in our lives we would assume a cold or weather-related. Wife is convinced we have it but I doubt we'd qualify to get tested given the cluster f*ck that's turned out to be.

I had already been working from home before the weekend and my wife is home full-time. So we were already doing the social distancing thing. We're worried about our 4 and 2 year olds though.

Wife and I got sick over the weekend. Me with cold-like symptoms, fatigue, runny nose and slight chills today that went away. Wife with cough and aches. Any other point in our lives we would assume a cold or weather-related. Wife is convinced we have it but I doubt we'd qualify to get tested given the cluster f*ck that's turned out to be.

I had already been working from home before the weekend and my wife is home full-time. So we were already doing the social distancing thing. We're worried about our 4 and 2 year olds though.

Are you guys quarantining? I just would give a call to your health provider

I actually just saw a doctor on fox say that if you test postive for flu...its highly likely you dont have corona..although there was one case in China that disputes this

Last edited:
I mean I probably don't have it but my wife and I both have a minor cough and if course my brain is freaking out.

People don't want to hear this, but his response when I asked about how bad it was, was, "it's the flu".

That’s why I started this thread. I don’t know what to think. We have data as to how many typically get the flu and die AND we know the precautions we take and don’t take. No idea about this. Definitely concerning hearing a direct case in this unmeasurable sample size of people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT